• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Brick House Literary Agents (Sally Wofford-Girand)

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
at Brick House Literary. Anyone know anything?

Sorry if there's already a thread, but I couldn't find one...

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Shady:

P&E has a $ next to her name.

Her Agent Query page is here. Probably not as specific as you're hoping for, but I've just queried her a moment ago so my personal experience will come somewhere between 30 minutes from now and never!

Good luck!

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks!

I went on a query spree and didn't do too much research on the agents (made sure none of them were going to take my ms and run it to Tahiti for a party with PA, but beyond that...) and she requested a full. Just wondering if anyone's worked with her/has any information about her response times.

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
Highly legit. She had a full of mine when another agent offered reprsentation. Her assistant's name is Melissa Sarver, and I wonder if the is the same Melissa Sarver that prvbmeggy just signed with (not so unusual to have assistants working for more than one firm, I understand).
Congratulations!

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
Researched her a bit during my process. Found that she had sold an anthology in a pretty major deal. Not sure what else she's worked on.

She showed huge enthusiasm on my book, requested a full, asked for a two-week exclusive which I granted, eventually (after possibly a month) rejected the full with a few decent notes. Seemed perfectly legit.

Best of luck, Shady.

David I

Registered
Reaction score
Dealt with her a few years back. Was very impressed, but she can be slo-o-o-o-o-o-w.

This isn't a bad thing. She sat on a full ms of mine for a long time, trying to sort out whether or not she could really market it. It was outside her usual list. Indeed, since I summarize the book as being a "grim cyberpunk political romantic comedy," it's outside most people's lists. (Though a publisher is presently reading it...five years after I wrote it.)

Sorry, I digress. Sally is a very solid agent, and highly recommended by a number of folks in the biz. And when she is slow, I think it's because she's really examining the options.

In other words, I think she's excellent and honest.

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
Highly legit. She had a full of mine when another agent offered reprsentation. Her assistant's name is Melissa Sarver, and I wonder if the is the same Melissa Sarver that prvbmeggy just signed with (not so unusual to have assistants working for more than one firm, I understand).
Congratulations!

It's her. Brick House and Elizabeth Kaplan Literary Agency, along with a few other agencies I believe, are in the same building or suite.

onetiredmama

My Mini Me
Registered
Reaction score
She got back to me on a query I sent out 3 months ago. She said she'd love to read my novel if I hadn't yet sold it elsewhere. But that's all she said, and she hasn't replied to my follow up as to whether she wants a partial or full, or if she wants an email attachment or hard copy. Which format did she request from those of you she worked with before? Thanks, Lisa

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
She got back to me on a query I sent out 3 months ago. She said she'd love to read my novel if I hadn't yet sold it elsewhere. But that's all she said, and she hasn't replied to my follow up as to whether she wants a partial or full, or if she wants an email attachment or hard copy. Which format did she request from those of you she worked with before? Thanks, Lisa

With no other information, I'd immediately send her the full as hard copy. It's a mistake to ask the agent to clarify, as you never know when they might get back to you.

In any case, to read your novel she needs the full, and the default submission method is hard copy.

Last edited:

SarahinOhio

In My Blue Period
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sarahhina.blogspot.com

She requested the full hard copy from me, based on the query+first 5 pages.

I'd go ahead and send it along to her.

Good luck!! :)

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
Ha, she didn't specify email/hard copy for me, either, so I just sent the email. I figure if she responds by email and doesn't clarify, that's what she expects.

Anyway, that was in November and I haven't heard back, so I could have been wrong...

ExposingCorruption

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
PM lists an editor named "Jofie Ferrari-Adler" who was with Thunder’s Mouth Press back in 2005. Now she's an editor with "Grove/Atlantic," but nothing to indicate that she's an agent.

http://www.publishersmarketplace.co...pl?name=Jofie+Ferrari-Adler&company=&category=

You are correct in that "Jenni Ferrari-Adler" is an agent with Brick House Literary Agents, but PM lists no sales for her. Most of the Brick House sales are by Sally Wofford-Girand and a few are by Judy Heiblum.

Here's the Sally Wofford-Girand/Brick House PM page. http://www.publishersmarketplace.com/members/woffordgirand/

Hope this helps.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Just wondering if people are still waiting on her or if any of you have had any luck. It would be great to hear about recent experience. Thanks.

Mythica

Expert Gerbil Wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.courtneyallisonmoulton.com
Here's a really good website with a lot of information about her. It lists a few six-figure sales by her.

http://www.freewebs.com/alabamaworley/AGENT_Sally Wofford.htm

I queried her a couple days ago and heard from her asking to see my full. I also pasted a few pages in my email query, but I always do that. I read somewhere an agent recommended doing that even if an agent doesn't ask you to--unless they specifically say don't do it, of course. lol My book is a lot darker than the usual urban fantasy, so I add pages to let an agent see that. More like Laurell K Hamilton for young adults (a cleaned up LKH, that is.. haha)

Bourgeois Nerd

The writer around the corner
Registered
Reaction score
I also pasted a few pages in my email query, but I always do that. I read somewhere an agent recommended doing that even if an agent doesn't ask you to--unless they specifically say don't do it, of course. lol My book is a lot darker than the usual urban fantasy, so I add pages to let an agent see that.

I think I'm going to start doing this. I also read an agent who said that she preferred to see more than a query because how else could you judge someone's writing by only the query. That's a lot like looking for a house and judging it solely by the exterior and not checking out the interior floor plan. Just plain ridiculous.

Anyhow, good for you for following your instincts instead of following the 'rules,' some of which don't make that much sense anyhow.

Zsuzsi

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone with recent experience with Jenni at this agency?

revolocard

Registered
Reaction score
It says Sally Wofford-Girand takes YA queries on AQ, but has she repped any? I tried looking through the titles on PM, but none of them struck me as probably YA (and of course, frustratingly, PM doesn't list genres).

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
I think I'm going to start doing this. I also read an agent who said that she preferred to see more than a query because how else could you judge someone's writing by only the query. That's a lot like looking for a house and judging it solely by the exterior and not checking out the interior floor plan. Just plain ridiculous.

Anyhow, good for you for following your instincts instead of following the 'rules,' some of which don't make that much sense anyhow.

Exactly. What will the agent do, anyway, if they see five pages pasted underneath your query? Will it burn their eyes? Or will they reject you for not following every little rule? Either way, you don't want them representing you.

Turtle's_Daddy

Registered
Reaction score
Their PM listing includes "Juvenile fiction," yet neither Sally nor Jenni list it in their "specialties" or "areas of interest." I think I'll be "passing."

djaffe

Me love books much
Registered
Reaction score
I queried Sally on Dec 10th and included the first page at the bottom on my email. Got a request for 50 pages on the 12th of Jan. Not the speediest but certainly not the slowest!

Last edited: