would you notice

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
if the following little series of events happened to you? I can't set those damn polls up right to save my life, so you can just say whether or not you would notice and/or be spookified plus any additional whatnot if any.

Last evening I took a walk down to the corner store, something I do every day without incident. On my way a pickup loaded with household junk passed by me at a high rate of speed, hit a bump, and disgorged a mammoth wrought-iron table with a plate-glass top. Said top parted ways with its frame, became neatly airborne just like in the movies, and would have decapitated me had I been just a little further down the sidewalk. As it was only about a dozen ensuing cars experienced four-tire blowouts due to, well, huge chunks of glass which had flown into the road.

Twelve hours later I turned fifty, which has not been going down well with me to begin with. Today, 18 hours after the glass incident, another pickup, this time loaded with loaded people at lunchtime, neglected to come to a timely halt in front of the public bench at which I was sitting with friends. This is why berms were made. Berms work. I heart berms.

And then, just to round things out, I have just returned from my evening walk to the corner store. I have come full circle: on this walk, what swings jauntily into the store parking lot in front of me? Caskets. An open truck trailer of caskets. Neatly boxed in super-duper cardboard, but, I checked them, and they were indeed brand-new caskets. Mmmhmmmm.

Now, I'm not worried about the croaky-dokey itself. I did that once, briefly, and it was a wonderful trip. But I'm not done yet, dammit. I'm staying in tonight. Am I the only one who listens to the spookies when they show up?

:eek:

:e2dance:

:e2drunk:

Last edited:

TrainofThought

A flowering bud of bitchiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
Let me start by wishing you a HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :Cake: If you had the month and day in your profile, I would have started a birthday thread for you. I’m sorry your ‘age’ isn’t sitting well with you, but I wish you a safe and happy year.

Now, in regards to the glass, the bench and the caskets, I think you have a good story here. :D I don’t listen to the spookies because I live with them even though I can’t see them, but I do look at things as signs. Your events are signs that a story is brewing.

Again, Happy Birthday, think back on the memories and start creating new ones. :partyguy: :PartySmil:TheWave:

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
Two NDEs and then some coffins? HAY-ell, yeah, I'd notice!

But I'm sure it means nothing...;)

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
Happy birthday!

I'd be spooked too, but... well actually it sounds like you've been really lucky, with the near misses. But avoid pickup trucks? Sounds like they're driven by idiots in your area.

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
:partyguy::Sun:Happy birthday! :snoopy:

I'd definitely notice. But I'm with Shweta; it just highlights how extraordinarily lucky you are right now. :D

Quick! Buy a lottery ticket.

paprikapink

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
paprikapink2.blogspot.com
If a coffin had fallen off the truck and threatened you, then you should take heed. I think the mere fact that the coffins all remained unused, and you were right there, is a good, good sign.

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
If a coffin had fallen off the truck and threatened you, then you should take heed. I think the mere fact that the coffins all remained unused, and you were right there, is a good, good sign.
Everyone's just trying to make you feel better, nerds. I am evil, however, so I have two words for you: 'Final Destination'! :D

(And two more: HAPPY BIRTHDAY!)

:partyguy:

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
Nice knowing you, nerd. And happy birthday! Enjoy it, it may be your last, bwa-ha-ha!

No, really, I'd take those as signs your life has just begun. Live it to the fullest. It's probably your own doom and gloom feelings that made these things come to you today. Bad things happen in threes, so you're done! Celebrate.

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score

I wish I could do the fancy multiquote thing . . .

I marched right on up to them caskets. Because I really couldn't believe my own two eyes, right after the other stuff. It is tough to mistake caskets, though, even when they're in cardboard blankets. I've SEEN caskets, and the people in them, half my family's expired FGS, but on an open flatbed in almost the same spot where the glass table took flight, well. I asked the driver guy, I said, You are driving a load of permanent retirement homes, right?

Yes ma'am that's right. Don't let that rattle ya, it don't rattle me.

And I walked right up to those boxes and looked 'em in the eye and said, Well, what the hell. I will exercise extra caution while walking home tonight. And that is the only concession I will make to you.

They did stay right where they were in transit, and I think, paprika, that you are right. I remember that now, about their dropping off of transport, yes, not a good thing. I'd forgotten that.

Shweta, pickup trucks, yes, care will be taken. LOL to everyone else.

You guys are all great, wisdomatious and comfortalizing, as davids would surely say.

Last edited:

Mjollnir13

I am the Meatlump King!
Registered
Reaction score
Happy birthday!!

Think of it this way...

Somebody is reminding you that the end could come at any moment so you better have as much fun as possible now.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
And I thought that kind of stuff only happened to me. Happy birthday and better luck next time.