Not open for further replies.

Good Word

still crazy after all these years
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wordmountain.com
This is for the folks using the February Get Healthy thread and for newcomers who want to work on any health issues--weight loss, smoking cessation, more exercise--you get the picture.

I started this thread at the beginning of Feb to get/give support and help me be accountable. It's working--I've lost 7 pounds, which is nothing compared to what some folks have lost, Like ChunkyC and Madame Swift! But I'll take (or toss) the seven pounds and keep going. And I'm so glad this is helping people.

Folks who are posting in February should still use that thread until March 1.

I'm just putting in a marker here so any new folks can get ready!

Good Word

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wordmountain.com
So here we are!

Ready for a new month?

Here's my motivation:

I am going away mid-May and want to lose weight for this big trip--I know I'll have a much better time if I am in better shape, so I have to really get serious again. If I can lose 20 pounds by May 14 I'll be reasonably satisfied.

Here's my challenge with weight in general:

I often feel like I can't really lose the weight. Simple as that. Like it just isn't a possibility for me to weigh what I want to weigh.

So the goal for the month is not only to lose some weight, it's to change my thinking.

Metanoia: a fundamental change in one's beliefs: conversion, rebirth, regeneration.

That is what I need to work on, right alongside losing the weight.

Anyone else want to post goals?

Lisa

Tip: Splenda ain't for snorting.

Lavinia

Registered
Reaction score
March Health Goals

I'm with you! Goals for March:

1. Walk 30 miles
2. Exersize 15 minutes a day/ 6 days a week
3. Don't eat white flour after lunch
4. And as a result...lose 5-8 lbs.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Metanoia: a fundamental change in one's beliefs: conversion, rebirth, regeneration.

:gone: ..............and I have the other end of the problem, but still need to take a dose of that Metanoia.

I'm very tall and very 'willowy' (skinny) and eating for me is the last thing i remember to do. I have never had hunger pains so I have to pay attention and remind myself to eat.

I'm the same size i was when I was in High Shcool, back about the time of the war between the states.

I have set my mind to eat five or six times a day. (Small amounts) Once i get some lbs. back on me, I hope to began some walking as my stamina is so lacking.

Wish me luck and good luck to each of you.:banana:

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
Good Word said:
Ready for a new month?

Yup!!

I have a conference at the end of April that I would like to lose weight for. I don't know how much I'll be able to lose, but I'd like for it to be enough so that the dress I'm planning to wear for the awards banquet will have to be altered. :)

Good Word said:
Tip: Splenda ain't for snorting.

Good thing I'd already swallowed my drink of water or I would've spewed it all over the monitor. lol.

CindyBidar

Has nothing clever to say
Registered
Reaction score
Can I play too?

I wasn't in on the February thread, but my goal for March is to lose 10 pounds. Wendy, I'll pack 'em up and send 'em to you! It's gotta be tough on your side of the fence too.

tfdswift

Hillbilly Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I'm ready...

I am ready for a new month. I have decided to set my goals in smaller amounts of weight loss. I have given up bread, sugar, pasta, rice, potatoes, softdrinks...
I don't know what else I could give up. So I am going to continue following my diet and exercising. I know I am gaining muscle mass, my legs have no flab left on them. My arms still have a little, but my tummy is the worst. But having lost 7 inches off my waist in February makes me happy.

So hopefully I will lose ten pounds in March. :whip: That's my new goal. I have decided to take baby steps.

~~Tammy

ZaZ

Banned
Reaction score
Website
thebobshow.buzznet.com
I blew up in February, what started with a whimper of hope became unheard screams from the bottom of a huge beer stein. This month, I vow to not end it like January and February. No more end of the month bar benders. This month, I'm going to do something besides drink. I have to; my beer gut is back.

paprikapink

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
paprikapink2.blogspot.com
Tammy, I don't play a dietician on TV or in RL, but 10 pounds in a month sounds like a lot, especially for someone like you who has had a very successful start to her weight loss (even tho you don't seem to believe it). From what you say, it sounds to me like you are in the place where if you just maintain the healthy lifestyle you've started on, you will gradually and naturally come to your healthly size.

I get the distinct impression that you don't know how fabulous you are. You gotta love yourself, girl!

-paprikapink

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm ready to rock, too! February was a good month, I went from 250 to 234 pounds, a loss of 16. As I mentioned in the February thread, my goal is to lose an average of 9 pounds a month until October, or until I get down to 170 pounds, whichever comes first.

7.gif

Arisa81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pacificpurple.blogspot.com
I still have not weighed myself and don't plan to. But I can say I have kept up with eating healthy and working out. And I feel pretty darn good. :)

Congrats to those who've lost weight, that is so awesome :Thumbs:

This month I do hope to get out for more walks. Hopefully tonight will be the first if it's not still raining.

Lavinia

Registered
Reaction score
Lavinia said:

1. Walk 30 miles

Went for a mile walk this morning. I had bought a new "walking jacket" as a reward for last month's walking, so I'm sure my walking improved, what with the racing stripes and all. Also exersized for 15 minutes. Had back surgery in August and still recovering.

I think I'll go use that new calendar program so I can keep track of all this.

tfdswift- You are my hero. I'm trying to cut all that white stuff too. Some days are good, some not so good. Lavinia

jazziz1

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cassiehartwriter.com
I'm with you, April. I don't weigh myself either. I do try to eat healthy stuff and get to the gym 2 or 3 times a week. Of course, sometimes Dunkin' Donuts creeps into my diet and I get busy working on projects with absurd deadlines and my good intentions go by the wayside, but that doesn't happen every week.

Here's a tip for folks that like to go to the gym: if you've got a college or university nearby, check to see if community members can sign up to use the fitness equipment. I've been going to the Rec Center at the university near my house and it only costs me $80/semester, which is waaaaay cheaper than becoming a member of Gold's Gym. In addition to a bunch of weight machines and cardio equipment, the university has an indoor track with a basketball court, several racquetball courts (I don't play), and a free weight room.

tfdswift

Hillbilly Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Good

It sounds like everybody is ready to go. Here's a toast "Good luck to everyone in March.":Cheers: I am toasting with propel fitness water since I gave up all the junk drinks.

~~Tammy

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow!

When the weather lets me, I'm a serious walker, 60 miles a month. (Yes, I worked up to it.) But when the weather absolutely forbids it and I try to take my walk inside--blah. Even with music or a DVD, it's just so boring that I let myself skip it, which I never do with my 'real' walk outside.

However, that leaden sky has a silver lining--I do nearly all the snow shoveling. Somebody's got to do it, and "Mr. Maryn" and I agreed that instead of hiring a plow service (like every single neighbor in sight except one) or buying a snowblower (the one), we'll do the physical labor and spend the money on something indulgent for ourselves, like a weekend someplace special.

I haven't lost anything since December, but my upper body is undoubtedly stronger, since there are days I shovel three times!

Today, I think I can get by with two.

Maryn

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
Still nothing on the exercise front for me. Blast this back ache stuff anyway! I'm so sick of it!

OK, back on track...

It's amazing to me what watching WW points does to your mindset! Take today for instance. My mom wanted me to have lunch with her -- fine by me, especially since she's buying -- so we went to KFC.

Now, I really like their pot pie and I thought about getting one. But I looked it up in the Dining Out Companion I have and one pot pie is 18 points!! So I had a honey barbecue chicken sandwich and small order of potato wedges for a total of 11 points instead. lol.

So I guess I've had another "OMG!" moment with WW. Yikes. :Smack:

Betty W01

Empress of Cyberworld
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jyndral

Don't drink and eat while you're hanging out in here - it's bad for the keyboard and monitor.

spit.gif

CindyBidar

Has nothing clever to say
Registered
Reaction score
jyndral said:
Now, I really like their pot pie and I thought about getting one. But I looked it up in the Dining Out Companion I have and one pot pie is 18 points!! So I had a honey barbecue chicken sandwich and small order of potato wedges for a total of 11 points instead. lol.

So I guess I've had another "OMG!" moment with WW. Yikes. :Smack:

I had that moment myself just last week! Mine was with Taco Bell's Nachos Bell Grande. 19 points! :eek: Guess that won't be on my lunch menu for a while.

Anyway, good for you for getting the chicken sandwich instead, and I hope your back feels better soon.

Nivvie

Rejections, She Wrote.
Registered
Reaction score
Hello folks, I'm chubby, and very much in agreement with Arisa.

Arisa81 said:
I still have not weighed myself and don't plan to. But I can say I have kept up with eating healthy and working out. And I feel pretty darn good. :)

Congrats to those who've lost weight, that is so awesome :Thumbs:

This month I do hope to get out for more walks. Hopefully tonight will be the first if it's not still raining.

Scales are evil! I work really hard, and then what? Nothing!
Then I get depressed, say who cares, head for the cupboard...

So, I'm eating like a normal person (not like the person I used to be, the one that viewed chop chip cookies as a suitable lunch, Snickers as an appropriate breakfast.) I've always forced my family to eat well, so it's about time I joined them.

I'm monitoring my progress by trying to get into pre-pregnancy clothes from the days of yore, and using a tape measure. After all, that's what's real, the space we take up on the earth, as opposed to our weight.

Good Word

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wordmountain.com
I'm thinking of

doing Weight Watchers again myself.

I did lose a fair amount of weight with WW a while ago, but slipped. My hesitation is that I joined about 4 times last year. I think I was just not in the right place for it. Writing everything down just does not appeal to me right now, but I have a big goal for May and need a boost.

So I may be weighing in there in the next few days.

Ugh!

Lisa

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
CindyBidar said:
I had that moment myself just last week! Mine was with Taco Bell's Nachos Bell Grande. 19 points! :eek: Guess that won't be on my lunch menu for a while.

Anyway, good for you for getting the chicken sandwich instead, and I hope your back feels better soon.

And the chicken sandwich was really good, too. I was prepared to be disappointed. You know how it goes when you want something and then end up settling for something else. No disappointment there. :)

I am slowly getting better. Far too slowly for my liking. lol. I'm not a very patient patient. Yesterday was the best I'd felt in quite a while. Here's hoping that's an ongoing trend.

My first OMG! moment was either my first or second day counting points and realizing just HOW many points a day I'd go through. Wow. It's hard, but I never expected it to be easy. It will be SO worth it though. (Having to pump myself up for today. I want chocolate. lol.)

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
Good Word said:
I did lose a fair amount of weight with WW a while ago, but slipped. My hesitation is that I joined about 4 times last year. I think I was just not in the right place for it. Writing everything down just does not appeal to me right now, but I have a big goal for May and need a boost.

So I may be weighing in there in the next few days.

I totally abhor having to write everything down. I do good for a couple days, then I start to rebel against it and have to literally force myself to do it. That's today.

I really like their method of weighing in. NOBODY except the person behind the desk sees your weight. They write it down in your log and you either look at it or not. I like that.

I was a member of TOPS in high school for a while. There was no privacy, no being discreet. Everyone & their dog who was in the same room could know your weight. I hated that!

Good luck with it, Lisa. I've actually been enjoying the meetings. :Hug2:

tfdswift

Hillbilly Queen
Registered
Reaction score

WW really is a good plan as long as you stick to it and go to the meetings. I had trouble getting to the meetings and so I slowly stopped working at it and failed in the end. I wish everybody good luck at it. Don't be weak like I was.:Cake:

~~Tammy

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Walkies!

Here's why I'm pro-walking:

A 20-minute mile (3.0 m.p.h.) burns .027 calories per pound per minute.
A 17-minute mile (3.5 m.p.h.) burns .033 calories per pound per minute.
A 15-minute mile (4.0 m.p.h.) burns .042 calories per pound per minute.
A 13-minute mile (4.5 m.p.h.) burns .047 calories per pound per minute.

Examples:
Calories burned by a 150-pound person walking at the rate of 20 minutes per mile for 60 minutes 150 lbs x .027 x 60 = 270 calories (two Buffalo chicken wings)

Calories burned by a 150-pound person walking at the rate of 17 minutes per mile for one mile/17 minutes 150 lbs x .033 x 17 = 84.15 calories (one medium-sized apple)

Calories burned by a 200-pound person walking at the rate of 16 minutes per mile for one mile/16 minutes 200 lbs x .0375 x 16 = 120 (one cup of Lucky Charms cereal)

Calories burned by 225-pound person walking at the rate of 17 minutes per mile for 45 minutes 225 lbs x .033 x 45 = 334 (three ounces of spareribs meat, fat and bone discarded)

Calories burned by a 250-pound person walking at the rate of 20 minutes per mile for one mile/20 minutes 250 lbs x .027 x 20 = 135 (half a large cantaloupe)

Calories burned by a 275-pound person walking at the rate of 20 minutes per mile for 60 minutes 275 lbs x .027 x 60 = 445.5 (twenty-two Triscuits)

Calories burned by a 300-pound person walking at the rate of 20 minutes per mile for 30 minutes 300 lbs x .027 x 30 = 243 (almost a half a cup of raisins)

Lavinia

Registered
Reaction score
Lavinia said:

1. Walk 30 miles

1. 4/30 miles walked so far
2. 4/4 days this week
3. What, I didn't write this goal down...OK OK...I did. Haven't done so good on this one.
4. Not weighing until the end of the month.

I've been munching on just about everything...I've got to get control of my sugar-habit! Lavinia

Status
Not open for further replies.