PDA

View Full Version : The March Health Thread

Good Word
02-25-2005, 03:51 PM
This is for the folks using the February Get Healthy thread and for newcomers who want to work on any health issues--weight loss, smoking cessation, more exercise--you get the picture.

I started this thread at the beginning of Feb to get/give support and help me be accountable. It's working--I've lost 7 pounds, which is nothing compared to what some folks have lost, Like ChunkyC and Madame Swift! But I'll take (or toss) the seven pounds and keep going. And I'm so glad this is helping people.

Folks who are posting in February should still use that thread until March 1.

I'm just putting in a marker here so any new folks can get ready!

Good Word
03-01-2005, 01:55 AM
Ready for a new month?

Here's my motivation:

I am going away mid-May and want to lose weight for this big trip--I know I'll have a much better time if I am in better shape, so I have to really get serious again. If I can lose 20 pounds by May 14 I'll be reasonably satisfied.

Here's my challenge with weight in general:

I often feel like I can't really lose the weight. Simple as that. Like it just isn't a possibility for me to weigh what I want to weigh.

So the goal for the month is not only to lose some weight, it's to change my thinking.

Metanoia: a fundamental change in one's beliefs: conversion, rebirth, regeneration.

That is what I need to work on, right alongside losing the weight.

Anyone else want to post goals?

Lisa

Tip: Splenda ain't for snorting.

Lavinia
03-01-2005, 02:08 AM
I'm with you! Goals for March:

1. Walk 30 miles
2. Exersize 15 minutes a day/ 6 days a week
3. Don't eat white flour after lunch
4. And as a result...lose 5-8 lbs.

CACTUSWENDY
03-01-2005, 03:23 AM
Metanoia: a fundamental change in one's beliefs: conversion, rebirth, regeneration.

:gone: ..............and I have the other end of the problem, but still need to take a dose of that Metanoia.

I'm very tall and very 'willowy' (skinny) and eating for me is the last thing i remember to do. I have never had hunger pains so I have to pay attention and remind myself to eat.

I'm the same size i was when I was in High Shcool, back about the time of the war between the states.

I have set my mind to eat five or six times a day. (Small amounts) Once i get some lbs. back on me, I hope to began some walking as my stamina is so lacking.

Wish me luck and good luck to each of you.:banana:

JenNipps
03-01-2005, 04:40 AM
Ready for a new month?

Yup!!

I have a conference at the end of April that I would like to lose weight for. I don't know how much I'll be able to lose, but I'd like for it to be enough so that the dress I'm planning to wear for the awards banquet will have to be altered. :)

Tip: Splenda ain't for snorting.

Good thing I'd already swallowed my drink of water or I would've spewed it all over the monitor. lol.

CindyBidar
03-01-2005, 04:56 AM
I wasn't in on the February thread, but my goal for March is to lose 10 pounds. Wendy, I'll pack 'em up and send 'em to you! It's gotta be tough on your side of the fence too.

tfdswift
03-01-2005, 09:51 PM
I am ready for a new month. I have decided to set my goals in smaller amounts of weight loss. I have given up bread, sugar, pasta, rice, potatoes, softdrinks...
I don't know what else I could give up. So I am going to continue following my diet and exercising. I know I am gaining muscle mass, my legs have no flab left on them. My arms still have a little, but my tummy is the worst. But having lost 7 inches off my waist in February makes me happy.

So hopefully I will lose ten pounds in March. :whip: That's my new goal. I have decided to take baby steps.

~~Tammy

ZaZ
03-01-2005, 10:04 PM
I blew up in February, what started with a whimper of hope became unheard screams from the bottom of a huge beer stein. This month, I vow to not end it like January and February. No more end of the month bar benders. This month, I'm going to do something besides drink. I have to; my beer gut is back.

paprikapink
03-01-2005, 10:12 PM
Tammy, I don't play a dietician on TV or in RL, but 10 pounds in a month sounds like a lot, especially for someone like you who has had a very successful start to her weight loss (even tho you don't seem to believe it). From what you say, it sounds to me like you are in the place where if you just maintain the healthy lifestyle you've started on, you will gradually and naturally come to your healthly size.

I get the distinct impression that you don't know how fabulous you are. You gotta love yourself, girl!

-paprikapink

ChunkyC
03-02-2005, 12:25 AM
I'm ready to rock, too! February was a good month, I went from 250 to 234 pounds, a loss of 16. As I mentioned in the February thread, my goal is to lose an average of 9 pounds a month until October, or until I get down to 170 pounds, whichever comes first.

http://pages.prodigy.net/indianahawkeye/newpage36/7.gif

Arisa81
03-02-2005, 12:41 AM
I still have not weighed myself and don't plan to. But I can say I have kept up with eating healthy and working out. And I feel pretty darn good. :)

Congrats to those who've lost weight, that is so awesome :Thumbs:

This month I do hope to get out for more walks. Hopefully tonight will be the first if it's not still raining.

Lavinia
03-02-2005, 01:56 AM

1. Walk 30 miles

Went for a mile walk this morning. I had bought a new "walking jacket" as a reward for last month's walking, so I'm sure my walking improved, what with the racing stripes and all. Also exersized for 15 minutes. Had back surgery in August and still recovering.

I think I'll go use that new calendar program so I can keep track of all this.

tfdswift- You are my hero. I'm trying to cut all that white stuff too. Some days are good, some not so good. Lavinia

jazziz1
03-02-2005, 03:22 AM
I'm with you, April. I don't weigh myself either. I do try to eat healthy stuff and get to the gym 2 or 3 times a week. Of course, sometimes Dunkin' Donuts creeps into my diet and I get busy working on projects with absurd deadlines and my good intentions go by the wayside, but that doesn't happen every week.

Here's a tip for folks that like to go to the gym: if you've got a college or university nearby, check to see if community members can sign up to use the fitness equipment. I've been going to the Rec Center at the university near my house and it only costs me $80/semester, which is waaaaay cheaper than becoming a member of Gold's Gym. In addition to a bunch of weight machines and cardio equipment, the university has an indoor track with a basketball court, several racquetball courts (I don't play), and a free weight room.

tfdswift
03-02-2005, 11:31 PM
It sounds like everybody is ready to go. Here's a toast "Good luck to everyone in March.":Cheers: I am toasting with propel fitness water since I gave up all the junk drinks.

~~Tammy

Maryn
03-03-2005, 12:13 AM
When the weather lets me, I'm a serious walker, 60 miles a month. (Yes, I worked up to it.) But when the weather absolutely forbids it and I try to take my walk inside--blah. Even with music or a DVD, it's just so boring that I let myself skip it, which I never do with my 'real' walk outside.

However, that leaden sky has a silver lining--I do nearly all the snow shoveling. Somebody's got to do it, and "Mr. Maryn" and I agreed that instead of hiring a plow service (like every single neighbor in sight except one) or buying a snowblower (the one), we'll do the physical labor and spend the money on something indulgent for ourselves, like a weekend someplace special.

I haven't lost anything since December, but my upper body is undoubtedly stronger, since there are days I shovel three times!

Today, I think I can get by with two.

Maryn

JenNipps
03-03-2005, 12:48 AM
Still nothing on the exercise front for me. Blast this back ache stuff anyway! I'm so sick of it!

OK, back on track...

It's amazing to me what watching WW points does to your mindset! Take today for instance. My mom wanted me to have lunch with her -- fine by me, especially since she's buying -- so we went to KFC.

Now, I really like their pot pie and I thought about getting one. But I looked it up in the Dining Out Companion I have and one pot pie is 18 points!! So I had a honey barbecue chicken sandwich and small order of potato wedges for a total of 11 points instead. lol.

So I guess I've had another "OMG!" moment with WW. Yikes. :Smack:

Betty W01
03-03-2005, 01:46 AM
Don't drink and eat while you're hanging out in here - it's bad for the keyboard and monitor.

http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/spit.gif

CindyBidar
03-03-2005, 04:33 AM
Now, I really like their pot pie and I thought about getting one. But I looked it up in the Dining Out Companion I have and one pot pie is 18 points!! So I had a honey barbecue chicken sandwich and small order of potato wedges for a total of 11 points instead. lol.

So I guess I've had another "OMG!" moment with WW. Yikes. :Smack:

I had that moment myself just last week! Mine was with Taco Bell's Nachos Bell Grande. 19 points! :eek: Guess that won't be on my lunch menu for a while.

Anyway, good for you for getting the chicken sandwich instead, and I hope your back feels better soon.

Nivvie
03-03-2005, 04:20 PM
Hello folks, I'm chubby, and very much in agreement with Arisa.

I still have not weighed myself and don't plan to. But I can say I have kept up with eating healthy and working out. And I feel pretty darn good. :)

Congrats to those who've lost weight, that is so awesome :Thumbs:

This month I do hope to get out for more walks. Hopefully tonight will be the first if it's not still raining.

Scales are evil! I work really hard, and then what? Nothing!
Then I get depressed, say who cares, head for the cupboard...

So, I'm eating like a normal person (not like the person I used to be, the one that viewed chop chip cookies as a suitable lunch, Snickers as an appropriate breakfast.) I've always forced my family to eat well, so it's about time I joined them.

I'm monitoring my progress by trying to get into pre-pregnancy clothes from the days of yore, and using a tape measure. After all, that's what's real, the space we take up on the earth, as opposed to our weight.

Good Word
03-03-2005, 04:22 PM
doing Weight Watchers again myself.

I did lose a fair amount of weight with WW a while ago, but slipped. My hesitation is that I joined about 4 times last year. I think I was just not in the right place for it. Writing everything down just does not appeal to me right now, but I have a big goal for May and need a boost.

So I may be weighing in there in the next few days.

Ugh!

Lisa

JenNipps
03-03-2005, 05:56 PM
I had that moment myself just last week! Mine was with Taco Bell's Nachos Bell Grande. 19 points! :eek: Guess that won't be on my lunch menu for a while.

Anyway, good for you for getting the chicken sandwich instead, and I hope your back feels better soon.

And the chicken sandwich was really good, too. I was prepared to be disappointed. You know how it goes when you want something and then end up settling for something else. No disappointment there. :)

I am slowly getting better. Far too slowly for my liking. lol. I'm not a very patient patient. Yesterday was the best I'd felt in quite a while. Here's hoping that's an ongoing trend.

My first OMG! moment was either my first or second day counting points and realizing just HOW many points a day I'd go through. Wow. It's hard, but I never expected it to be easy. It will be SO worth it though. (Having to pump myself up for today. I want chocolate. lol.)

JenNipps
03-03-2005, 06:03 PM
I did lose a fair amount of weight with WW a while ago, but slipped. My hesitation is that I joined about 4 times last year. I think I was just not in the right place for it. Writing everything down just does not appeal to me right now, but I have a big goal for May and need a boost.

So I may be weighing in there in the next few days.

I totally abhor having to write everything down. I do good for a couple days, then I start to rebel against it and have to literally force myself to do it. That's today.

I really like their method of weighing in. NOBODY except the person behind the desk sees your weight. They write it down in your log and you either look at it or not. I like that.

I was a member of TOPS in high school for a while. There was no privacy, no being discreet. Everyone & their dog who was in the same room could know your weight. I hated that!

Good luck with it, Lisa. I've actually been enjoying the meetings. :Hug2:

tfdswift
03-03-2005, 09:49 PM
WW really is a good plan as long as you stick to it and go to the meetings. I had trouble getting to the meetings and so I slowly stopped working at it and failed in the end. I wish everybody good luck at it. Don't be weak like I was.:Cake:

~~Tammy

Maryn
03-03-2005, 09:53 PM
Here's why I'm pro-walking:

A 20-minute mile (3.0 m.p.h.) burns .027 calories per pound per minute.
A 17-minute mile (3.5 m.p.h.) burns .033 calories per pound per minute.
A 15-minute mile (4.0 m.p.h.) burns .042 calories per pound per minute.
A 13-minute mile (4.5 m.p.h.) burns .047 calories per pound per minute.

Examples:
Calories burned by a 150-pound person walking at the rate of 20 minutes per mile for 60 minutes 150 lbs x .027 x 60 = 270 calories (two Buffalo chicken wings)

Calories burned by a 150-pound person walking at the rate of 17 minutes per mile for one mile/17 minutes 150 lbs x .033 x 17 = 84.15 calories (one medium-sized apple)

Calories burned by a 200-pound person walking at the rate of 16 minutes per mile for one mile/16 minutes 200 lbs x .0375 x 16 = 120 (one cup of Lucky Charms cereal)

Calories burned by 225-pound person walking at the rate of 17 minutes per mile for 45 minutes 225 lbs x .033 x 45 = 334 (three ounces of spareribs meat, fat and bone discarded)

Calories burned by a 250-pound person walking at the rate of 20 minutes per mile for one mile/20 minutes 250 lbs x .027 x 20 = 135 (half a large cantaloupe)

Calories burned by a 275-pound person walking at the rate of 20 minutes per mile for 60 minutes 275 lbs x .027 x 60 = 445.5 (twenty-two Triscuits)

Calories burned by a 300-pound person walking at the rate of 20 minutes per mile for 30 minutes 300 lbs x .027 x 30 = 243 (almost a half a cup of raisins)

Lavinia
03-05-2005, 01:27 AM

1. Walk 30 miles

1. 4/30 miles walked so far
2. 4/4 days this week
3. What, I didn't write this goal down...OK OK...I did. Haven't done so good on this one.
4. Not weighing until the end of the month.

I've been munching on just about everything...I've got to get control of my sugar-habit! Lavinia

Chacounne
03-05-2005, 02:42 AM
Hi All,

Yesterday I was trying to decide what I was going to say in my 50th post, as momentous as that is :), when my husband and I received the best health news ever!

A little background: my husband has been disabled since September 27th of 2001, when a doctor decided not give him 80% of the medications he had been on for four years for congestive heart failure, while he was in the hospital for something unrelated. As a result, Dan gained about 40 lbs in 48 hours! Although they told us he could go back to work in three days, he has not worked a day since. Life was a revolving door of doctors and hospitals, with his kidneys getting worse and worse, until he ended up on dialysis in May of 2003. For those of you who aren't familiar with life on dialysis, it is filled with long hours of boredom sitting in a chair strapped to an artificial kidney machine, lots of days not feeling well enough to do more than sleep, and then there's the nausea.

Yesterday we got the word from his doctor that next Monday they will be starting the work-up on Dan for a kidney transplant! His sister has volunteered to donate one of hers, so, if all checks out medically, we should be off the dialysis train by October! This will make a profound difference in both of our lives, and we are truly blessed that it is even a possibility. Please, keep us in your thoughts as we move forward.

With deep gratitude,
Chacounne

tfdswift
03-05-2005, 03:20 AM
I feel a little sensitive to this subject. In 1996 the Doctor told me my kidneys were failing due to my diabetes. I was supposed to talk to my family and see if there was anyone willing to be checked to see about being a donor. The doctor told me I was looking at transplant, dialysis, or death.

I went on this herbal regimen that a friend going to college to be an herbologist recommended.

A month later, my kidneys had returned to normal. They did the test three times and told me they had never seen anything like it. Now I take an ace inhibiter so kidneys will function properly. I will keep my fingers crossed for you and your hubby. Good luck!!!:Sun: :heart: :Sun:

~~Tammy

CindyBidar
03-05-2005, 03:27 AM
I totally abhor having to write everything down.

For me, this is the most important part. If I put it in my mouth, I have to write it down. It makes me a lot more aware of what I eat. Couple of crackers here, a half a cookie there, it all adds up. I don't go to the meetings because they don't do a thing for me, but I do keep track of what I'm eating.

JenNipps
03-05-2005, 07:57 AM
For me, this is the most important part. If I put it in my mouth, I have to write it down. It makes me a lot more aware of what I eat. Couple of crackers here, a half a cookie there, it all adds up.

Yeah. I hate it, but I do it. For that exact reason.

Melina
03-05-2005, 04:18 PM
Well, I gained all the weight back that I lost. I think it ended up to be 6 pounds. Now, I'm right back where I started. The Pepsi problem is becoming easier to deal with. I'm drinking diet sodas and water instead. I'm walking every day, between 2 and 4 miles. I even walked in the rain this week! So- back on track, really quitting the Pepsi this time, keeping up the walking. I hope to lose a significant amount of weight this month--at least enough to make living without Pepsi worth it.

Melina

ChunkyC
03-06-2005, 02:26 AM
Keep at it, Melina! We're all behind you.

I'm down two pounds since last Monday, back to 232 pounds. Let's see where I am come this Monday. I'm hoping I get to an even 230, but 231 will be just fine as well.

JenNipps
03-07-2005, 06:18 AM
At the WW meeting & weigh-in yesterday, I'd lost two pounds! Though I think I made up for it today. I was a baaaaaaaaaaaaaad Jen. lol.

CindyBidar
03-07-2005, 06:22 AM
Woo-Hoo! Go Jen!

:PartySmil

(And we're all entitled to be a little bad sometimes.)

Maryn
03-07-2005, 06:00 PM
Yup, it's early enough to make my usual Monday-morning declaration.

Today I'm not going to blow it.

Just for one day, I can eat intelligently. Not starve myself, not go overboard. One day.

Yes, it'd be easier if we hadn't eaten all the salad greens and if I didn't have those jellybeans in the house, but I will not open the bag--not today, anyway.

Perhaps reporting on a single day's challenges and success (think positive, think positive...) will spur me onward. Er, downward!

Maryn, feeling lumpy

Edit to add: The next day, I'm pleased to report that for one day, and one day only, I can eat healthy amounts of healthy foods. A string of days like this, and I'll be less lumpy in no time, right? Right!

ChunkyC
03-07-2005, 08:36 PM
Well, at the big weigh-in this morning:

http://pages.prodigy.net/indianahawkeye/newpage46/4.gif
232 lbs.

At least I didn't gain weight over the weekend. I still have over 3 weeks to lose 7 more pounds to stay on target. I haven't been getting out and walking as much as I wanted to, I'd better get at it.

Oh -- Chacounne -- I just backtracked and read your post above. Good luck with the kidney stuff. We're rootin' for your hubby and the rest of your family.

Spookster
03-07-2005, 08:46 PM
Chacounne,

I am so glad to hear the great news. My mom-in-law has been quite ill over the past few years and I have been taking care of her (as well as my father-in-law). After numerous hospital stays, countless ER trips, and converting her home into a make-shift hospital room, we finally seem to be gaining ground on her illness (Hashimoto's hypothyroidism).

It's a long haul, I know, but hang in there. We're all here if you need to scream, cry, or jump for joy at his progress (hoping for the latter :) ).

tfdswift
03-08-2005, 01:45 AM
I only lost one pound, I really would like to dump ten pounds this month. I hope last week is not setting a pattern for me.

I am still going to stick to it, that's all I can do.

~~Tammy

CindyBidar
03-08-2005, 02:05 AM
My Monday morning weigh-in didn't go so well. Up 1/2 a pound. :mad: Not sure what happened.

See y'all next week. :gone:

Lavinia
03-08-2005, 10:33 AM

1. Walk 30 miles

Results so far:
1. 6 miles walked
2. 5 days of exersize
3. Uh..well...uh...
4. Not weighing until end of month

Walking is such an important part of my writing routine. What does the body good, does the mind good and what does the mind good, benefits writing... Lavinia

Good Word
03-09-2005, 04:27 AM
Well, hats off to Chac. and swift. A boatload of congrats.

I have been exercising, but not eating where I'd like to be. Have resisted going to WW because of last several starts there (and stops). But don't want to go away in May at my current weight. I need a boost.

Did do 20 minutes on the ellipsis machine (like biking, but standing up on pedals so you don't get the knee impact) and a little stairmaster yesterday in addition to weights, but ate too much during the day!

Someone lock me in a cage with a computer and feed me low carb, low cal for a month, will ya?

JenNipps
03-09-2005, 07:05 PM
Someone lock me in a cage with a computer and feed me low carb, low cal for a month, will ya?

Only if somone does the same for me. lol.

I'm at a point where I don't care -- at all. Period. I don't care about the diet. I don't care about the weight (sometimes). I don't care about having to monitor my blood sugar and watch carbs and sugars. Ugh.

I'm still doing all of it, but right now I'm really asking myself why?!?!?!? Although, it does help that with Saturday's WW weigh-in, I had met my first goal for myself. I'm under 260. :D

That's really what's been keeping me going. I think I'll be lucky if I maintain that this week though. :(

Part of my problem is I haven't felt good still. I'm still having trouble with my back and it's affecting everything. My doc wants to send me for x-rays & stuff, but with no insurance .....

I'll shut up now. :Ssh:

Though..... :flag: ---------------------> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v70/jennipps/yum.gif

Trapped in amber
03-09-2005, 07:24 PM
I've giving up smoking today:rolleyes:.

I have a patch on my arm and a plastic cigerette which tastes foul, but does in fact seem to be helping.

If I make it through to tommorow that will be the longest I've ever quit for. I can't cope with the idea of never having another ciggy:scared:, so I'm just thinking about getting through to tommorow.

I'm drinking tons of caffeine though. What I don't want to do is eat more; I now understand why people put on weight when they give up smoking. If i can't have a ciggy, I WANT A COOKIE! I'm craving sugar. But so far, I have resisted temptation.

Then again, it's only 3:20 pm. I may fail yet.

I will confess tomorrow if I do.

Jyndral,:Hug2: I hope things get better for you.

Maryn
03-09-2005, 10:40 PM
Jen, I only had to lose 25 and start walking regularly before my back troubles of many, many years eased to not-worth-getting-up-to-find-the-Motrin status. It's hard to eat right, and even harder to get some mild exercise, but if you can make yourself do both most days, by late spring you will very probably feel better every day. For real!

Not to mention feeling better about the way you look. That's just gravy (fat-free, of course).

Please keep us posted on your struggles and your progress.

Maryn, rooting for anybody whose back hurts

Maryn
03-09-2005, 10:43 PM
Trapped In Amber, quitting smoking is a tough one--I did it several times before it 'took' and only succeeded when a friend died of lung cancer at age 49. (We used to go outside and smoke during critique group meetings.)

My problem was that a single slip--maybe bumming one off somebody, or even buying a pack--seemed to give me permission to start up again. Don't let that happen to you. When and if you slip, climb right back on the wagon, OK?

Maryn, whose sinuses are better these days

JenNipps
03-09-2005, 11:14 PM
Jen, I only had to lose 25 and start walking regularly before my back troubles of many, many years eased to not-worth-getting-up-to-find-the-Motrin status. It's hard to eat right, and even harder to get some mild exercise, but if you can make yourself do both most days, by late spring you will very probably feel better every day. For real!

Not to mention feeling better about the way you look. That's just gravy (fat-free, of course).

Please keep us posted on your struggles and your progress.

Maryn, rooting for anybody whose back hurts

Fat-free gravy. Hmmm... Could be good. lol.

Problem is, this only started pretty recent. I fell around the first of January and I've been having trouble since then. I have talked to the doc about exercise, even walking, and while he didn't say anything against it (of course), he did say that even with walking to be careful and advised that I'd be better served by walking around the track than doing the Walk Away the Pounds video I have. Well... weather and transportation have kept me from that, so far.

I'll get over this -- all of it. It'll just take time and I figure I'll have to deal with more than one episode of I-don't-care-itis.

CindyBidar
03-10-2005, 03:56 AM
I've giving up smoking today.

Hang in there, it does get better. And I have read that the average person only gains about five pounds when they quit smoking. That's not so bad, is it?

Maryn is right, though. Don't give in to the "just one" temptation. I really believe that for people who smoke regularly (as opposed to those hateful social smokers :mad: ), "just one" is not possible. For people like us, it's all or nothing.

Cindy, who quit once for two years :Smack:

Trapped in amber
03-10-2005, 05:43 PM
I made it to today:hooray:. All I have to do now is make it to tomorrow.

5 pounds to give up smoking? I can live with that.

It is definately all or nothing for me, I think. Within hours of giving up before, I would have 'just one'. And then a lot:rolleyes:.

Hence my little plastic cigerette that I suck on 'till my eyes cross when I'm close to breaking point.

But I've managed until today, longer than I have before. And that means I should get through to tomorrow. With the help of a lot of coffee :Coffee:.

ChunkyC
03-11-2005, 08:12 PM
That's how I quit smoking many many years ago, quit outright and never touched another cig. All it takes is one to get you back at it again. Keep it up, TiA!

I can report losing one more pound since Monday. Sheesh, I seem to have stalled a bit. That's okay, tho. I'm still making progress. I'm now at 231 lbs. I can't wait for it to drop below 230 ... maybe by the end of the weekend.... http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoteThumbs.gif

JenNipps
03-11-2005, 08:23 PM
Well....

This makes it worth it. Even with as bad/crazy as this week has been.

I can almost pull my jeans down without unbuttoning them. There is no elastic in the waistbands. (I don't like elastic in my jeans' waists.) That's dance-a-jig-worthy, but I don't want to hurt something. lol.

Maryn
03-12-2005, 12:54 AM
Well....

This makes it worth it. Even with as bad/crazy as this week has been.

I can almost pull my jeans down without unbuttoning them. There is no elastic in the waistbands. (I don't like elastic in my jeans' waists.) That's dance-a-jig-worthy, but I don't want to hurt something. lol.

Yes, do remember your slowly-healing back!

And do remember that most of us live in a world where just tugging down our jeans without undoing them, solely because we can, is NOT perfectly all right. (At least make sure you're wearing nice undies, OK?)

That's terrific when the loss is enough to show so much--it can inspire you to carry on even when it's hard. Good for you!

Maryn, who knows that eating a hot bagel didn't really help the furnace get repaired any faster, and now feels guilty

Wandering Sensei
03-12-2005, 01:02 AM
I've been on WW since last December.

--and have been plateaued since early January.

I am not cheating. I'm eating healthy meals. I'm staying on the plan, and I'm definitely getting plenty of exercise.

And it's horrendously aggravating that I am so STUCK!

The jeans I'm wearing now were incredibly loose a couple weeks ago. Now they're tight again.

I keep telling myself that the important thing is that I'm following healthy eating and living patterns, and that's true.

But I want to lose weight! I want to see my ab muscles. I want to be a lean, mean fighting machine. I am SO tired of being fat!

JenNipps
03-12-2005, 02:16 AM
Yes, do remember your slowly-healing back! And do remember that most of us live in a world where just tugging down our jeans without undoing them, solely because we can, is NOT perfectly all right. (At least make sure you're wearing nice undies, OK?)

Oh, believe me, I live in that world too. lol. I would NEVER dream of anything like that anywhere but safely behind closed doors. lol.

And the state of my undies drawere is a cause for the Fifth Amendment. lol. j/k

aspier
03-12-2005, 02:23 AM
Anybody wants to view and crit the following 'exercise'. Its a doc file (draft) and can be viewed at http://users.skynet.be/spier/docfiles/asdocdiet.doc

Zend me a message if you really want to discuss it with me, ok? I am new at the board and might not find my way back here, etc (being a litlle bit dumb annd so on)

aspier

ritinrider
03-12-2005, 04:44 AM
Good news, bad news to report weight wise. The group I was in had the final weigh-in this morning. There were 25 of us working to lose weight. We lost a combined total of 175 pounds in 8 weeks. Not bad for a group showing. Have to wait a week or so to find out how the other groups did. We were competing against 3 or 4 other schools. The bad news, I gained two pounds this week. That left me with a net loss of 8 pounds for 8 weeks. Not bad considering the week of chicken noodle soup and grilled cheese sandwiches, together with throat sucker thingies for a sore throat probably full of sugar, and several glasses of high calorie orange juice.

Now that the flu bug is gone, hopefully for good this time, I'll go back to walking, and hopefully add some other exercises. My goal is to get rid of another 15 pounds by the end of April.

Good luck to everyone and congrats on all the progress. Jyn - have you looked into the wellness center in town? That would remove the weather obstacle, or course there's still the transportation issue. Strange as it sounds, even those eight pounds gone have helped my back.

Nita

Wandering Sensei
03-12-2005, 04:52 AM
Well, now I'm hankering after grilled cheese sandwiches.

I'm fighting my second cold in as many months. Gotta wonder if that's partially what's behind my plateau.

JenNipps
03-12-2005, 06:49 AM
Zend me a message if you really want to discuss it with me, ok? I am new at the board and might not find my way back here, etc (being a litlle bit dumb annd so on)

Naw, not dumb. This is a big place to remember where you've been & everything. I've started subscribing to threads I post in for that reason. :)

JenNipps
03-12-2005, 06:55 AM
That left me with a net loss of 8 pounds for 8 weeks. Not bad considering the week of chicken noodle soup and grilled cheese sandwiches, together with throat sucker thingies for a sore throat probably full of sugar, and several glasses of high calorie orange juice.

Conga-rats on the 8 pounds! THat's great! :TheWave:

Hey, BTW.... I found an orange juice that has a LOT less sugar. It's Minute Maid Light. It has -- I kid you not -- 2 grams of sugar per serving!! It's really good too. :)

Jyn - have you looked into the wellness center in town? That would remove the weather obstacle, or course there's still the transportation issue. Strange as it sounds, even those eight pounds gone have helped my back.

Yup. I thought about the Wellness Center. What it came down to was either that or Weight Watchers, because they come out to be about the same cost per month. So for now, I'll stick with WW.

The biggest part of it though, you hit right on the money. Transportation. Sometimes not driving TOTALLY sucks.

Oh, and earlier when I said I can "almost" pull my jeans down without unbuttoning them? Take out the "almost." I can if I suck it in a little bit. lol.

tfdswift
03-12-2005, 10:15 PM
Ritinrider, 8 pounds is great. Good luck with your new goal.

I did my weigh-in today because I am going to be gone tomorrow.

I lost four pounds this week. So that is five pounds so far this month and 21 pounds total. And a total of 8 inches from my waist.

:thankyou: :thankyou: http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/12/12_1_207.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSYYYYYY91US)<------------ yeah, I wish, but I'm getting there!

I am trying something new, I am taking green tea capsules. They are supposed to help with practically everything. I don't know if they are the reason I lost 4 pounds this week or not. One way or another I seem to have gotten over the hump where I was stuck.

By the way, Just want to let you know I have put away the cane. I am 100% walking on my own now. I take the cane when I go out, just in case and if I have to go through a store for a long time (like grocery shopping) I still use the wheelchair to be on the safe side. But in my home I use no assistance. http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_1_112.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSYYYYYY91US) http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_30_104.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSYYYYYY91US)

~~Tammy

ChunkyC
03-13-2005, 07:41 PM
A milestone! Okay, maybe it should be called a 'pound-stone.'

I have reached the magic number of 230 pounds! http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoticonbanana.gif That's a loss of 20 pounds since I began, and one quarter of the weight I want to ultimately take off. Even with the slowdown this past week, I'm still ahead of the average pounds per week I need to lose to meet my goal. Yee-ha!

Keep it up everyone!

ritinrider
03-13-2005, 07:45 PM
Whoo-hoo, way to go Tammy. Won't be long before that old wheelchair will be a relic, a distant memory. Keep the cane handy though, it's good for whacking people when they don't listen to you. :)

CC - poundstone, milestone,smilstone, point is you made it. Yeah for you.

Nita

JenNipps
03-13-2005, 08:34 PM
You know how it goes. You've met a goal -- even a mini-goal -- and you want to do something to celebrate it. But you don't want it to be food-related because, well, to be honest, that's part of the reason why you're at where you're at.

OK, I guess all those "you's" should be replaced with I/me. lol.

Yesterday, I did celebrate a little. I got my nails re-done -- not that they needed it but I wanted to do it -- and I got the second holes in my ears re-pierced (with better quality earrings this time so hopefully I won't have to let them grow up again).

Though, honestly, I wish I had been able to go to the WW meeting yesterday, too. I would've probably gotten my 5-pound bookmark & star. lol.

ritinrider
03-16-2005, 03:06 PM
Hey, did ya'll quit? It's been over a week since some of you have said anything, so thought I'd bump our little thread to remind you. CC, Jyndral, Tammy, Aspier, Wandering and I were all here over the weekend, where were the rest of you?

Trapped, how's the no cig thing going? It's okay if you relapsed. Just start again. Goodness knows I've had to restart my eating plan, sometimes more than once a day.

Good Word, didn't you start this little shindig? And, aren't you going away in May? Umm, that's how many weeks now? What can we do to help you?

Melina, it's okay you can come in. We won't mention you drinking the dark colored carbonated, high sugar drink. Of course we also won't mention the muffin, and toast I had yesterday either.

Come on ya'll share your successes (or lapses as the case may be). According to something I heard (can we believe everything we hear?) people who are part of a group lose weight better than those who go it alone. Well, this is my group. I need you.

Nita

edited because I forgot something, imagine

Maryn
03-16-2005, 06:44 PM
Lapse. Lapse. Lapse.

I'm sick of winter--I want to walk outside! I tried the Erie Canal yesterday, ordinarily a favorite spot, but it was packed ice and dog droppings. Yuck. So I walked on the street (sidewalks still have patches of ice) and that meant no music or I wouldn't hear any cars coming. Come on, Spring!

Met with my critique group last night, got word from someone just back from a convention that there's a publisher actively seeking work similar to my WIP, which is cause to celebrate (and to buckle down!) but not to eat like I did last night. It's not like word processing uses vast amounts of energy, you know?

Dreading the end of the month--the daughter who loves to bake will be home for spring break and the house will be filled with the aromas of bread and cookies every single day. Just try to resist that! I already know I can't.

The only way I lose is serious self-denial, and I'm real tired of it. How do you long-term weight management people do it?

Maryn

JenNipps
03-16-2005, 07:00 PM
I will not indulge in self-defeating behaviors today, diet-wise. This is one of those days where I want to sleep more and do nothing. This is one of those days where I woke up feeling like a lousy good-for-nothing fat-uh-huh.

I guess I'm going to keep repeating that first sentence to myself today. lol

ritinrider
03-16-2005, 07:09 PM
Maryn, first of all, sorry your weather's been so lousy you can't get out and walk like you want. I haven't been walking either, partly rain, partly sick, and partly lazy (ok, big part lazy), which is one reason I haven't dropped any more than I have. But progress is progress, and you are making progess.

Now, about the daughter who loves to bake, celebrate the fact that she will be home. If you lapse too much during that week, we'll just have to help you make it up after she leaves. Also, don't plan on depriving yourself, that's just self-defeating. Somehow, whenever I know I can't have something it just makes me want it that much more. So, she bakes a batch of cookies, eat two, not the whole batch. Get the rest of the family to finish them off, give them away, or freeze them to enjoy when she's gone.However, have you thought of talking her into trying some low-cal, low-fat reciepes?

Self-denial, not good at it at all. Remember, if I can't have it I want it? My weight loss has been more about choices. Eating a piece of fruit when I first get up instead of cookie or candy bar. It's not like I wanted the sweet, it was just available and easy, so, I made sure eating fruit was easy. I've also cut out, except when I screw up, flour and sugar. At first no sugar was hard, so I ate sugar free candy. Now, I don't usually miss the sugar at all and will have an occasional (once a week) cookie or muffin.

Here's something else I did back in the dark ages when I was in hs, I allowed myself one sweet thing a day, if I went over I had to do 10 situps. Of course this was back when I could actually do a sit up. It wasn't like the sit ups used up all the calories of the extra sweet, it was more a price thing. Do I want it bad enough to do 10 sit ups? Yes, No? It was my decision. I keep thinking I need to do a similiar thing now, but don't know what I'd do to replace the 10 situps. I'll let you know if I come up with anything.

I know this was a long-winded answer. Some days I'm like that. Anyway, enjoy your daughter's visit, food and all. Good luck with the exercise, I'll hope for good weather for you.

Nita

ChunkyC
03-16-2005, 08:38 PM
Hi everyone. I'm still at 230, I appear to have slowed down somewhat. That's okay, I'm not going back up, which is important. I fully expect to drop below 230 by the weekend, if not before.

My snacks now consist of fresh veggies or fruit or multigrain crackers, that sort of thing. I have not had any junk food (potato chips, cheezies, etc.) or soda since I began this. No McDonalds or Wendy's etc. If I do eat out, it's at a proper restaurant and I order a nice Caesar salad instead of a Gargantuaburger with Fries. I think I might be reaching a point where my desire for such things is beginning to wane. Think of how bitter coffee tastes if you've been away from it for a while, I sense that something similar is occuring with the junk food as well. With my body not 'acclimated' to that stuff, it doesn't have the same appeal it once had. I'm willing to attribute some of this to cultivating that kind of thinking, but regardless, it is extremely encouraging. My biggest fear was that I would crave the junk, but it's not happening.

Other positives despite the rate of weight loss slowing down: I feel more energetic. My posture is beginning to improve as well when I walk. Carrying around the equivalent of two cases of photocopier paper can make you slouch a little, so every pound I lose helps out my poor old spine, and legs, etc.

Continued success, everyone!

Maryn
03-16-2005, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the words of encouragement, and backatcha!

I was thinking that a few phone calls might find a receptive and grateful 'audience' for some of those baked goods. Heck, the local writers' center probably wouldn't say no, and I'm not even scared of them.

Maryn, eating a very nice Fuji apple

maestrowork
03-16-2005, 09:46 PM
If you need good motivation, watch the documentary "Super Size Me." It's a really scary movie.

And Maryn, I love fuji apples. I think we're very compatible.

Wandering Sensei
03-16-2005, 11:53 PM
I really don't eat junk food, like cookies or donuts, anymore. And I find that when I do my body doesn't want to accept it. Either it goes right through, or I feel sick afterward. I still drink Coke, though. That'll be the last thing to go, if it goes.

I've lost ten pounds so far on WW. That's like carrying a ten-pound weight around and then putting it down and walking away. Or if you think in terms of ten packages of margarine, that's a lot.

Vipersniper
03-18-2005, 03:43 AM
:snoopy: Diabetics are urged to walk and drink more water to lower their blood sugar. My husband brought his blood sugar down by walking and doing yardwork at least a hundred to one hundred fifty points. Drinking water instead of colas also help the blood sugar to flush itself out. However when the sugar level gets to a certain point in a large man he has to bring it up some. Fructcose as opposed to sucrose for diabetics. But a teaspoon of peanut butter while help bring up the sugar level if it has gone too low. Always keep peanut butter around for this. Works just as fast if not faster than orange juice.

ChunkyC
03-18-2005, 04:03 AM
Good tip, Judy. It reminds me to make sure I keep eating balanced meals, especially while trying to lose weight. You have to make sure your body keeps getting everything it needs.

By the way ...

http://pages.prodigy.net/indianahawkeye/newpage38/7.gif
229 lbs.

JenNipps
03-18-2005, 07:00 AM
I'm not going to say much because if I do, I'll get started on a big-time rant. (As a result of several things, I'm feeling rather cranky.)

I'm sick of being good. I'm sick of not feeling good. It's hard to walk right on by the Little Debbie snack cakes. I love the devils food ones. The Boston Cream roll things were too sweet for me even when I "could" have them. (I have my theories, hence the "" around the could.)

I admit, I haven't followed the WW plan this week. And my weigh-in Saturday will probably show it.

tfdswift
03-18-2005, 08:07 AM
I just have to share this with everybody. I went to two malls, the doctor, and out to dinner. First of all my hubby picked an all-you-can-eat buffet place and I am happy to say - I stuck to my diet.

But more importantly, I walked the whole day everywhere we went. No walker, no cane, no wheelchair. I am really so proud of myself.

Just a quick note, I learned this today...

Weight training is better for your body than aerobics. A pound of muscle burns 35 - 50 calories a day and a pound of fat burns only 2 calories. I personally am going to change my regimen some to include more weight training.

See you all on Sunday for my weigh-in.

~~Tammy

JenNipps
03-18-2005, 08:12 AM
:Cheer: :Cheer: :Cheer: :Cheer: :Cheer: :Cheer: :Cheer: :Cheer: :Cheer:

(Your own personal cheering section. lol. That is GREAT!!)

tfdswift
03-19-2005, 01:26 AM
Awww- golly- gee... Make me blush - why don't ya?

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_13_6.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSYYYYYY91US) http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_18_4.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSYYYYYY91US) http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_13_6.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSYYYYYY91US) http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_18_4.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSYYYYYY91US)

~~Tammy

Maryn
03-19-2005, 02:08 AM
If you need good motivation, watch the documentary "Super Size Me." It's a really scary movie.

And Maryn, I love fuji apples. I think we're very compatible.My very favorite Chinese restaurant in the world makes this dish with shrimp or chicken in a really light batter, almost tempura-like, quickly fried, and served in a cream sauce with very thin slices of Fuji apple.

Of course, you leave with blocked arteries, but it's worth it!

Luckily, I stopped eating McDonalds about two years ago, so "Super Size Me" didn't mean me any more... Scary indeed--[SPOILER ALERT]

his liver! Who knew? Sheesh, you only get one of those, unless you're David Crosby.

You get up my way, I'll take you out to dinner!

Maryn

ChunkyC
03-20-2005, 03:32 AM
But more importantly, I walked the whole day everywhere we went. No walker, no cane, no wheelchair. I am really so proud of myself.
Bravo, Tammy! http://pages.prodigy.net/indianahawkeye/newpage08/11.gif http://pages.prodigy.net/indianahawkeye/newpage13/7.gif http://pages.prodigy.net/indianahawkeye/newpage08/11.gif http://pages.prodigy.net/indianahawkeye/newpage13/7.gif http://pages.prodigy.net/indianahawkeye/newpage08/11.gif http://pages.prodigy.net/indianahawkeye/newpage13/7.gif

maestrowork
03-20-2005, 03:56 AM
You get up my way, I'll take you out to dinner!

Maryn

Where are you in the Great Lake region? I'm in Ohio/PA.

p.s. I used to LOVE Chicken McNuggets. Now, after seeing Super Size Me, I don't think I'm going to eat that anymore....

maestrowork
03-20-2005, 04:00 AM
WOW! CC, Congrats! :partyguy: Way to go, Bro!

As for me, I mainly come here to cheer you guys on and pad my post count. But I did go to the gym for the first time in months. I didn't stay long, just 40 minutes, but it was a good work out. Though I'm not overweight, I'm cardio-vascularly out of shape. So I do need more exercises. But I went down from 161 lbs to 154 and my bodyfat is hovering at 12%. My goal is actually gain some muscle weight (to 160) with a body fat of 8%.

Maybe then I'll make the Hunk thread.

jdkiggins
03-20-2005, 04:31 AM
After reading these four pages of exercising, walking, and good eating habits, I just had to poke my nose in and say

CONGRATULATIONS!!! TO ALL OF YOU.

:partyguy: :partyguy: :Trophy: :Trophy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :Thumbs: :Thumbs: :Clap: :Clap: :banana: :banana: :Hug2: :Hug2:

I think all of you are doing wonderful and have a lot to be proud of.

Joanne

Maryn
03-20-2005, 04:55 AM
As for me, I mainly come here to cheer you guys on and pad my post count. But I did go to the gym for the first time in months. I didn't stay long, just 40 minutes, but it was a good work out. Though I'm not overweight, I'm cardio-vascularly out of shape. So I do need more exercises. But I went down from 161 lbs to 154 and my bodyfat is hovering at 12%. My goal is actually gain some muscle weight (to 160) with a body fat of 8%.

Maybe then I'll make the Hunk thread.

Twelve percent, and you don't work out? I've worked out 14 times in the last 19 days and lost nothing, zero, zilch, nada! (Perhaps no one has informed you of the wonderfulness of food?) I suspect that I qualify for the Hunk thread, and not in a good way.

I'm in western NY state, not all that far from you. The roads are clear--come on by!

Maryn

ritinrider
03-20-2005, 06:33 AM
:PartySmil:TheWave: :partyguy: :Jump: :PartySmil:TheWave: :partyguy: :Jump::PartySmil:TheWave: :partyguy::Jump::PartySmil whoo-hoo Tammy. Way to go, all day no wheel chair. Wheeeee. Here's a party just for you.

ritinrider
03-20-2005, 06:39 AM
For everybody else, I talked to Jyndral today, she'd done good at her WW weigh-in. Congrats Jyn. I'll let her tell you how good.

Maestro - you'll always be our hunk, no exercise needed.

CC - started a reply the other day and, oh nevermind it got cyber ate - okay. Anyhoo, congrats on the slimming success and keep it up.

For myself this has not been a good day. Can't seem to get my body in gear to do anything, judge contest entries, write, clean house, exercise, nothing. However, I haven't had the same problem with eating, everything in sight. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

Thanks for sticking with this, just knowing ya'll are out there in 'puter land helps.

Nita

Good Word
03-20-2005, 06:55 AM
Where the heck have I been?

Sheesh.

But seriously, folks, I do need a boost. I really need to drop poundage for this trip in May. Thanks, Nita, for thinking of me.

What I have been doing right: Exercising. I even worked out with a trainer twice this past week. I bench press 70 lbs, which is a pretty decent amount for a woman. I do ab crunches holding a medicine ball. I do the ellipsis machine and short bursts on the stairmaster (maybe 6-7 min).

But I know I have not lost any weight and will not weigh myself because it will only be discouraging to me. If I can just do this for one or two days, it will get me back on track.

Ugh!

JenNipps
03-20-2005, 07:47 AM
For everybody else, I talked to Jyndral today, she'd done good at her WW weigh-in. Congrats Jyn. I'll let her tell you how good.

How good?

How good is good? lol.

Just kidding.

I got my 5-pound star/bookmark today. So far, since I've started WW around the first of February, I've lost 5.4 pounds. It's a great thing. :)

Oh, and Nita....

Tomorrow will be better. :Hug2:

maestrowork
03-20-2005, 09:29 AM
I bench press 70 lbs

You're so sexy, Lisa.

Maryn, western NY? That's not far at all. I can be in Buffalo in about 4 hours. I'll see you soon! That Chinese dish sounds heavenly.

One of my blessings is that I'm not easily seduced by food. I don't eat much dessert to begin with. My diet these days seem to be:

Breakfast: two small waffles, a glass of orange juice (or an omlet which is a treat)
Snack: apple or banana, some crackers
Lunch: a cup of soup with a piece of bread
Snack: some cookies, apples, veggies, milk
Dinner: fish, chicken or pork chops, at least five servings of veggie, rice or pasta (two servings top), soup
snack: apple, animal crackers, a bit of ice cream.

I love soup, and it's good food. I can eat soup all day (no, guys, not the bug soup -- that's just rumors). I don't eat a lot of carbs. I'm eating more veggies than any other times in my life, and by choice as well (my mom used to call me Mr. Carnivore) I also cut out almost all red meat from my diet. And I also cook more -- I used to eat out almost 90% of the time, especially when I was working on the job, out of town. Now I cook at home most of the time. I am a decent cook -- I just hate cooking for one sometimes.

I also drink a lot of water -- either filtered water or Vitamin Water (I love them). The Vitamine Water is about 99 cents each, so they're not cheap. But they're very good with supplements and low in sugar. Once in a while I'll have a Coke or Mountain Dew for caffeine kick, but mostly I just drink water or tea (iced or hot).

Once in a while I do indulge myself. I love a good slice of pie (pecan, apple, coconut cream, tiramisu, etc.) and I love seafood pasta, etc. but I don't indulge. I don't drink much anymore either. I think it's very important that we don't starve ourselves or take the joy out of life by forbidding ourselves to eat certain things.

I also love Asian food -- Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese, Japanese. Normally they're very lean (and they use peanut or sesame oil, which is high in HDL, which is good for you).

The trick, I believe, is portion control. I eat pasta and rice and crackers and bread, but only in small portions. I also eat a lot of fish and white meat, and I'm eating more and more veggies now. You can't go wrong with eating veggies. I love sushi, and that's been helpful to my diet as well. I eat all the time, so I never really develop that "craving" for food. And when I do have that "craving" I don't deny myself of that joy. I just know to just eat one slice of pie and not the whole thing...

Besides (you guys must hate me now), I have a physical shut off system. When I over eat something (especially something sweet or fat), my brain would tell my body to stop. I'd physically get nauseated and sick if I've eaten too much.

So food really isn't my enemy. My biggest enemy is laziness. I don't exercise as much as I should. A few years ago I had a body fat of 8% -- I'd like to get back in shape like that. I was hot. :-)

ritinrider
03-20-2005, 03:46 PM
:Sun:Maestro, soup is indeed a good food for the weight observing amoung us, asuming we're not talking about a calorie heavy cream soup. Problem is I don't really like soup. Stews are okay, but even then I prefer them on cold winter days. Hubby is like you, could probably eat soup every day if it was available *shudders at the thought*. About the auto shut-off thing, we probably all have such a thing (realizing when we are full, and stop eating), it's just some of us (well I have anyway) have overridden it so much we don't pay attention. I've noticed that except when I'm craving something (like yesterday those cookies just kept calling my name) I don't really want the "bad" stuff so it's not hard to not eat it. Even yesterday I only ate ummm six cookies with two glasses of milk, that's in two sittings. Used to I'd have eaten the whole package.

:Thumbs: Good word, good for you. Exercise is Great. Don't worry too much about the number on the scale, remember muscle really does weigh more than fat, and exercising builds muscle. I like the number on the tape measure better. Sometimes I get rid of inches before pounds.

Tomorrow will be weigh-in day for me. Best get to exercising or something so I'll have something good to report.

Nita

Good Word
03-20-2005, 04:23 PM
Alrighty, then gang. I'm back and ready to go.

And Ray, we love you posting here, but you better be getting your flabby butt to the gym, and telling us about your progress. ROFL

Today, I am going to eat on track. Already started with an apple.
pie. (only kidding)

For people using this thread:

Post ONE recipe for something you make--your favorite healthy meal. Dosen't have to be elaborate.

WW has a good one for veggie soup. but I can't find it.

And Ray, I make a lot of soup too, particularly chicken soup. Sometimes I add ginger and scallion to it, Asian it up. Also make a good homemade tomato that I grew up on.

Lisa

Maryn
03-20-2005, 06:41 PM
I make this one often--and I'm not a big fan of fish

SAVORY ASIAN SALMON

4 salmon fillets (1 - 1 ľ lbs)
1 Tbsp. vegetable or canola oil
1 tsp. vinegar (apple cider is best)
2 Tbsp. soy sauce or light soy sauce
2 tsp. brown (or white) sugar
1 tsp. freshly grated ginger or 1/2 tsp. powdered
Freshly ground black pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 400F. Grease a shallow baking pan with 1 tsp. of the oil. (First use a non-stick spray for easier clean-up.) Place the salmon in the dish, skin side up if it has a skin. (It will peel off easily once itís cooked.)

Combine remaining oil, soy sauce, sugar, ginger, vinegar, and a generous sprinkle of black pepper in a small dish and stir until sugar dissolves. Pour over salmon. Bake it now or let it marinate, refrigerated, up to 30 minutes.

Place salmon in the oven and bake for about 15 to 20 minutes, roughly 10 minutes per inch of thickness at the thickest part. Fish is done when it is opaque throughout.

Grilling? Use a basket, since fish breaks easily when cooked. Marinate for about 30 minutes before grilling.

aka eraser
03-20-2005, 09:12 PM
Yay Tammy! :Clap:

ChunkyC
03-20-2005, 10:40 PM
I don't cook, so I'll have to get the missus to give me a recipe for something she doesn't mind me sharing with you.

I weighed myself this morning:

227 lbs!

Yeeha! And congrats to everyone who is making the effort to get healthy!

JenNipps
03-20-2005, 11:38 PM
Post ONE recipe for something you make--your favorite healthy meal. Dosen't have to be elaborate.

WW has a good one for veggie soup. but I can't find it.

From what I've heard, WW apparently has several good soup recipes. I have a friend who says the taco soup is to die for. I've never tried it, though. Yesterday, I was going to buy the new cookbook, but I got to visiting after the meeting and forgot until I was already halfway home. It'll wait until next time.

I don't have a healthy, per se, recipe to share, but if anyone wants it, I have a really good low-fat/low-sugar cheesecake recipe. It passed the approval of a couple die-hard cheesecake aficionados in my family. :)

Fictionalizer
03-21-2005, 08:57 AM
Tammy, I don't play a dietician on TV or in RL, but 10 pounds in a month sounds like a lot -paprikapink
Maximum recommended weight loss for one month, 4.3 weeks, is 8 pounds. Extreme weight loss is not good for the body. It causes muscle loss much of the time. And muscle burns fat so you want to keep as much as possible.

My goals for March:
1. Work up to my goal of 30 minutes per day, 6 days a week on my stationary bike at a moderate rate.
* Right now I am at 30 minutes, 3 days a week and 15 minutes on the off days.
2. Work up to 3 sets of 8 reps with all body building exercises.
3. Continue my healthy nutrition program.
4. Remember that every plate is a clean slate.
5. Reduce speed for cycling to avoid injury.
6. Eat every 2 - 3 hours.
7. Allow myself up to 4 guilt-free meals per week where I can eat whatever I want.

I began my lifestyle change on November 24, 2004. I don't weigh myself but know I've lost 1 pants size and 1 shirt size. And the clothes I wear now are loose.

I keep two pictures by my computer. One is my start picture and the other of me when I was much slimmer.

My doctor congratulated me on my weight loss so far. She can see the difference.
:Cheer:

Fictionalizer
03-21-2005, 09:30 AM
How do you long-term weight management people do it?
Maryn

Hello Maryn,
The nutrition program I began in November 2004 allows up to 4 meals per week off the program. When I first read it I thought it said 4 meals per month! I felt deprived and found myself craving something off my nutrition program. They recommend scheduling cheat meals. When I planned to cheat I no longer felt deprived. When I do purposely go off my program I try to eat a balanced meal. So if I eat a brownie I make sure it has nuts and I drink it with milk. I also have a small meal with it.

Trim and fit people eat cheat meals too. They just do so in small quantities.

I find that when I follow my program, eating every 2 - 3 hours, I am not hungry. When I'm not hungry I am less likely to cheat and eat something off my program.

It helps to have lots of nutritious foods in the refrigerator/freezer which are available to eat without much cooking or preparation. Like bag salad, raw vegetables, high fiber fruit, nuts [I keep them in the freezer], imitation crab meat, frozen prawns, non-fat yogurt, low fat cottage cheese, low fat cheeses, turkey-chicken meat loaf, etc.

I've heard these encouraging words:

"Never hungry, never full."
"Every plate is a clean slate."
"Nothing tastes better than fit feels."
OR
"Nothing tastes better than slim feels."

A suggestion I heard on the Food Network channel: Ask the person who bakes the goodies to store them in their own room. That way the food is not within your immediate reach and vision.

I've set strict boundaries about what comes in my house. I've told my spouse that I don't want to see cookies in the house. If I want a cookie or brownie [which I'm really craving right now] or some cake, I will make it and then freeze them. But I don't want someone bringing those things into my house.

When I crave something, like the brownies, I explore the reasons I want it. When I determine that it is NOT to cover up a feeling or to avoid something unpleasant, I wait a couple of days and then make them. Many times the desire goes away before I have the time and energy to make them.

Fictionalizer
03-21-2005, 09:49 AM
Hi everyone. I'm still at 230, I appear to have slowed down somewhat. That's okay, I'm not going back up, which is important. I fully expect to drop below 230 by the weekend, if not before.
Continued success, everyone!
Hello ChunkyC,
Try eating different amounts of food each day. One day eat 2100 calories. The next 1900. After that eat 1850. Next day go for 1500 calories. Then back up to 2100 or even higher. The reason weight loss plateaus is because the body seeks homeostasis. When you vary the calories, the body is tricked and wont hold onto the fat. Body builders have used this tool for years. I use them myself and have yet to plateau since beginning my nutrition/exercise program in November 2004.

All my previous attempts at weight loss were unsuccessful because I didn't know this simple tool. I was taught to be rigid and stay with the exact amount of calories each day. It doesn't work! It makes weight loss slow and frustrating!

Also varying your exercise program has the same effect. Again this is a body builder's secret arsenal of weapons against the dreaded weight loss plateau.

If you add one thing to your exercise program make it body building. It doesn't have to be heavy weights. Handheld weights will work fine, start light and work towards heavier weights. Muscle burns fat even while you sleep! :)

Poppy
03-21-2005, 05:05 PM
Okay, so I'm a little late joining The March Health Thread, but I don't think anyone here will mind. I'm ready now to look and feel better.

See, back in October, I started the Atkins diet, mainly because carbs are my weakness. Coke and sweet tea were also a weakness (and are again, more about that later). I figured if I gave most of them up, I'd look and feel better. I was right. I lost 30 pounds and felt better than I had in a long time. I had more physical and mental energy. THEN that stuff with my grandparents happened. Yeah, that again. I still stayed on it pretty good while they were in the hospital and even when my grandfather died. It wasn't until after my grandmother got home and I started taking care of her that I started to slip. We all know food can equal comfort. It was hard to stay with my grandmother those last few weeks and I allowed myself to start drinking Cokes (actually C2's, but they're still not good for you) again. It made me feel better psychologically. I started eating whatever I wanted again too. I had been walking every day before they went into the hospital, but had stopped completely. My grandmother's been gone for almost 3 months now. Just like my writing, it's time for me to get back to eating right and exercising.

So my goal for this week in particular is to wean myself off of Coke, sweet tea and carbs again, drink more water, and walk one mile a day (that's what I was walking before). I don't have a specific weight loss goal, but will report if I lose any. My main goal here is just to begin again.

Thanks for posting this, Good Word. Posting my goals here hold me accountable. :)

Maryn
03-21-2005, 06:09 PM
Poppy, what time are you walking today? I'll work out at the same time, and check back with you--to make sure we both followed through.

(It's nice have a flexible schedule!)

Maryn, not weaned off diet soft drinks

Poppy
03-21-2005, 06:24 PM
Hey Maryn,

I think I'll sit here for about an hour and write, then go walking so I guess that'd be around 9:30 am my time (central time).

Thanks. :)

maestrowork
03-21-2005, 06:54 PM
Today, first I have to finish my review. Then I think I'll go to the gym at around 4 p.m.

For the hot tub, of course.

Poppy
03-21-2005, 08:10 PM
I did it, I walked a mile. Woohoo! And I'm drinking a tall glass of water now. Aaahhhh...

Maryn
03-21-2005, 08:19 PM
I did it, I walked a mile. Woohoo! And I'm drinking a tall glass of water now. Aaahhhh...Excellent!

Me, too, on the walk and the water. :Cheers: (Okay, my water's carbonated...)

This afternoon, I'll walk again. Maybe the snow will have melted off enough (we got a little overnight) to let me go outside.

Now, don't you feel good about yourself? Uh-huh, I thought so.

Maryn
03-21-2005, 09:50 PM
Today, first I have to finish my review. Then I think I'll go to the gym at around 4 p.m.

For the hot tub, of course.Ah-ha! Since I walked with Poppy this morning, perhaps I should also accompany you to the gym to make sure you do a some cardio before hitting the hot tub! We talking 4 Central or 4 Eastern? I still need another half hour of cardio myself. (But I don't have a hot tub--boohoo!)

(I'm envisioning some mass group exodus of everyone on this thread, working out simulatneously!)

Maryn

Wandering Sensei
03-21-2005, 10:04 PM
I lost 0.2 pounds last week. Woohoo!

At least it's a loss and not a gain. I'll take it.

Haven't dropped sizes, though. I went to Target and bought a couple new pair of shorts because the ones I have are getting ragged. I still had to buy size 18s, and they were a tad snug. Sigh.

I'm up to 50 crunches, 50 reverse crunches, and 50 oblique crossovers, a record. I'm also up to 25 girl pushups, also a record.

I slipped and ate a couple hot dogs last night, and this morning I thought I was gonna die I felt so awful. Body just does not want to accept junk food anymore.

Body has more sense than I do. ;)

If it keeps this up, though, I'll eventually be surviving on nectar.

Poppy
03-21-2005, 11:55 PM
Ray's in the hot tub...look out, here I come...CANNONBALL!!!!! :ROFL:

maestrowork
03-22-2005, 12:58 AM
Oooo co-ed hot-tubbing. I can dig that.

It's almost 4 (Eastern). See you there.

tfdswift
03-22-2005, 01:06 AM
Nothing. I lost no weight, no inches, no nothing. But I guess te bright side is I gained nothing. I have worked hard, too. Everybody around here was fighting the flu and I still exercised and dieted. Man I am bummed... http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_9_15v.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSYYYYYY91US) http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_9_5.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSYYYYYY91US) http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_14_202.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSYYYYYY91US) http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_14_1.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSYYYYYY91US)

~~Tammy

Maryn
03-22-2005, 01:53 AM
Ah, but how easy it would have been to rationalize away the need to eat properly, to get exercise! You could have convinced yourself you were somehow entitled. But you didn't, and whether you lost anything measurable, you won, IMO.

Way to be!

Maryn
03-22-2005, 01:54 AM
Oooo co-ed hot-tubbing. I can dig that.

It's almost 4 (Eastern). See you there.Geez, my fingers are all pruny. I don't think I can wait any longer. Maybe I'll just go skulk around the locker room...

maestrowork
03-22-2005, 04:20 AM
Geez, my fingers are all pruny. I don't think I can wait any longer. Maybe I'll just go skulk around the locker room...

I was stalking you...

Poppy
03-22-2005, 05:25 AM
Thanks, Ray. You left me in the hot tub with Frank, and he brought a fishing rod and tackle box.

JenNipps
03-22-2005, 06:19 AM
I wish I had access to a place with a hot tub. My back sure could've used it today. Somehow hot showers just don't work very well. :(

Good Word
03-23-2005, 03:41 PM
Tammy, please don't be discouraged, although I certainly understand. You, and ChunkyC too, have kind of been the poster children for this thread. I mean, my God, woman, you've been in a wheelchair, and now your walking. Maybe someday you can share your story of what happened with us. Maybe you can write an article about your experience of going from wheelchair to where you are now for a magazine. You've done amazingly well. So you weigh the same as you did last week? That's not so bad. The closer you get to your goal, the slower it comes off.

My hope is that you do something really wonderful for yourself. Buy yourself a new outfit. Get a new hairstyle, if you are so inclined. Something to give you a boost.

And Chunk, man, you skinny little thing.

Me: I did a yoga class yesterday, and it felt great. Workout today, session with trainer tomorrow. Food yesterday: not terrible, but not super. Maybe I should join WW today. I'm afraid to because while I had significant success with it about 2 years ago, I didn't do so well this past year with it. I just joined it alot!

Lisa

maestrowork
03-23-2005, 05:32 PM
Soon we'll have to call him SlimmyC (not to be confused with SlimyC) or SkinnyC.

As for me, my recurring cold has knocked me out of my would-be gym routine. I do feel better today, so I'm hopeful that I get a little work-out in.

WTG, Lisa. Proud of ya.

Poppy
03-23-2005, 05:46 PM
It was raining here yesterday so I did aerobics (I have a videotape). I've been doing pretty good with my eating, but not with my water drinking. It's hard for me to really enjoy water when it's cold or wet weather. When it's blazing summer, it's not hard at all. Anyway, I think I'm doing fairly well with making a gradual change. Glad to hear so many of you are doing well too. :)

Maryn
03-23-2005, 10:14 PM
As for me, my recurring cold has knocked me out of my would-be gym routine. I do feel better today, so I'm hopeful that I get a little work-out in.Oh, definitely--but nothing real strenuous. Let your speed or intensity lag.

But at a gym, with a cold, you owe yourself ten minutes in the steam room. Back when I had a gym membership, I tried to spend my entire sinus infection on the track, in the hot tub, and in the steam room, and back to the track again. Ahhhhhhhhhhh, the steam room! If only the humidity didn't make my paperback get all rippled.

tfdswift
03-24-2005, 12:19 AM
Okay my family has convinced me to go off of my diet for Sunday. Reason -- we are going out to eat at a fabulous restaraunt (is that how it's spelled?). Hubby says he won't enjoy himself if I eat just a tiny amount and don't have dessert with him.

I usually cook for the occasion but I did not want leftovers lurking around the house for several days.

So what I'm wondering is...

Does anyone think it will be sabotage for me to go off the strict regimen I have been on for almost two months? http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_8_12.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSYYYYYY91US) http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_8_5.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSYYYYYY91US)

and:

Is anyone else planning on doing the same thing? http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_8_11.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSYYYYYY91US)

I'm just wondering...

Oh BTW - Happy Easter!! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/8/8_3_21.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSYYYYYY91US) http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/8/8_3_20.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSYYYYYY91US) http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/8/8_3_17.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSYYYYYY91US)

~~Tammy

Maryn
03-24-2005, 01:26 AM
Tammy, I think going off a strict eating plan once in a while is okay. What you have to do is make the same healthy choices that you might make, with a bit more leniency for the special occasion of a holiday meal. What I do is allow myself a small serving of anything I want. Operative word small. What I cannot do is allow a special occasion to serve as a license to return to a state of gluttony because what does it matter if I eat candy, I already had cake and two rolls...

You can indulge a bit, enough to satisfy those around you, and not sabotage your healthy eating. Enjoy!

Maryn

Good Word
03-24-2005, 03:49 AM
Chips ahoy, maties!

Maryn, I just tried that salmon recipe (grilled). It was yummy.

And, Tammy, I'm going to my inlaws for Easter and there is always boatloads of food, plus it's my hubby's birthday! I'm going to do strawberries dipped in chocolate to keep the cake and ice cream temptation at bay. You are still my weight loss idol.

:Hail: :Hail: :Hail:

I did weigh myself today, and it looks like I gained back three pounds of the total eight I lost. I'm not as freaked out about the scale as I thought I'd be, but it's still not thrilling.

I worked out and did 10 minutes on the stairmaster, 20 minutes on the elliptical and some weights.

Am I svelte yet?

tfdswift
03-24-2005, 04:10 AM
I know I won't eat alot, simply because I can't. If I eat too much I get sick - and I'll tell you a secret....:Ssh:

When it comes to my tummy I am a wimp. I have walked on a broken ankle, taken care of a 15 month old with a severely broken wrist. I have a very high tolerance for pain. My hubby says I make him feel weak.

But you let me get a stomach ache and I swear I am dying.

The thing is, though I do not plan to eat alot, my choices may not be that smart. Easter just isn't Easter for me without ham and sweet potatoes with marshmallows, and some kind of chocolate http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/8/8_3_16.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSYYYYYY91US) , and I am considering having some potatoes and bread. You think that would be too much??

~~Tammy

Poppy
03-24-2005, 08:18 AM
I walked that mile today. Didn't do so great on 'gradually cutting back' today though. This is a common excuse coming, I know, but I was thinking today about how Easter is this weekend, and about how my grandparents aren't here anymore. We didn't get to have a family gathering at Thanksgiving or Christmas because they were in the hospital (well, my grandfather died before Christmas). Now I'm wondering what we're gonna do, if anything, for Easter. But no matter what we do, it won't be the same. *sigh* I'm not dwelling on their deaths, I'm at peace with that, really I am. It's just that I had no idea how hard this would be. They were a part of my daily life for over 30 years and now there's this huge hole. I am starting to have good days again though. So I guess today is just a bad day, but hopefully it's a bridge to a better day tomorrow. Feeling like this definitely has an effect on my eating habits. Luckily, there's no chocolate or cheesecake in the house or else I'd be pigging out on it. Sorry, this wasn't really about health...well, unless we're talking emotional or psychological health.

maestrowork
03-24-2005, 08:52 AM
I had every intention to go to the gym. I swear. But I ended up going to Indian buffet instead. YUM. I love vegetarian Saag.

JenNipps
03-24-2005, 06:46 PM
I did weigh myself today, and it looks like I gained back three pounds of the total eight I lost. I'm not as freaked out about the scale as I thought I'd be, but it's still not thrilling.

My sister-in-law & I have been talking about this same issue. One thing that she's having to keep in mind -- and having a hard time with -- is that muscle weighs more than fat. So while you're losing fat, you could well be gaining muscle, so inches will matter more there than pounds.

Though if you're anything like me, you're probably avoiding measuring yourself at all costs. lol.

Fictionalizer
03-25-2005, 12:06 AM
My sister-in-law & I have been talking about this same issue. One thing that she's having to keep in mind -- and having a hard time with -- is that muscle weighs more than fat. So while you're losing fat, you could well be gaining muscle, so inches will matter more there than pounds.

Though if you're anything like me, you're probably avoiding measuring yourself at all costs. lol.
Hello JenNipps,
I don't weigh or measure. My clothes and car tell the story very well. The once tight clothes are now baggy in the stomach, hips, thighs, legs and arse. The seat belt (older type) needs to be cinched down more every week. Bending over to touch my toes is easy now.

I haven't owned a scale for over thirty years! I have a tape measure around here ... somewhere.

maestrowork
03-25-2005, 12:11 AM
I was berry berry bad this afternoon. I went to Captain D's and had the 24 festive shrimp dinner with a 16oz Coke and fries and slaw plus a seafood gumbo. Bad puppy, bad puppy (oh yeah, hushpuppies too). Must have consumed at least 800 calories and 200g of fat. What can I say, it was delicious and only for $3.99 for the dinner.

I'm a bad influence.

Fictionalizer
03-25-2005, 12:13 AM
So what I'm wondering is...

Does anyone think it will be sabotage for me to go off the strict regimen I have been on for almost two months?~~Tammy

Not if you remember, a new plate is a clean slate! Go back to your strict regimen the next time you eat.

I have 1 to 4 meals each week which don't adhere to my regime. The next meal I remind myself this is a new plate and the slate is wiped clean.

JenNipps
03-25-2005, 03:38 AM
I don't weigh or measure. My clothes and car tell the story very well. The once tight clothes are now baggy in the stomach, hips, thighs, legs and arse. The seat belt (older type) needs to be cinched down more every week. Bending over to touch my toes is easy now.

I haven't owned a scale for over thirty years! I have a tape measure around here ... somewhere.

I hate scales with a purple passion! lol. (How's that for being cliched?) I wouldn't weigh-in if I didn't have to for WW stuff. Sure, I could use the no-weigh pass, but I do like to know my progress.

I completely agree with you about how clothes fit being a better indication of how things are going in that regard, though.

ChunkyC
03-25-2005, 04:15 AM
I'm stalled again at 227 lbs. I'm goin' out for my walk now, anybody coming?

maestrowork
03-25-2005, 04:35 AM
CC, there's a co-ed hot tub somewhere here....

Wandering Sensei
03-25-2005, 04:47 AM
I'm not going near a co-ed hot tub until I lose this weight.

Wandering Sensei
03-25-2005, 04:51 AM
I was berry berry bad this afternoon. I went to Captain D's and had the 24 festive shrimp dinner with a 16oz Coke and fries and slaw plus a seafood gumbo. Bad puppy, bad puppy (oh yeah, hushpuppies too). Must have consumed at least 800 calories and 200g of fat. What can I say, it was delicious and only for $3.99 for the dinner.

I'm a bad influence.

Oh, man. And there's a Captain D's three blocks from my house, too.

I've been too depressed to be hungry today, though. And I've had a splitting headache that no amount of Advil can kill. Definitely a hydrant day.

ChunkyC
03-25-2005, 04:57 AM
Whew! Just got back from the walk. A nice brisk half hour by the river, without all the noise of the town. Refreshing.

Where's the hot tub?

maestrowork
03-25-2005, 05:24 AM
Where's the hot tub?

See for yourself: Picture taken by paparazi some time today...
(http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=131717&postcount=505)

jdkiggins
03-25-2005, 05:57 AM
:ROFL:

jdkiggins
03-25-2005, 05:59 AM

I think I'm going for a walk too.

Chuck, I think you are doing great! All of you have such great goals. I'm still trying to get off the caffeine.

Fictionalizer
03-25-2005, 06:59 AM

I cycled my 15 minutes early this afternoon and will do it again around 8 PM.

You know you can split your walk and it has the same benefits?

I split the cycling cause my donkey can't handle 30 minutes at once.;)

Poppy
03-25-2005, 07:26 AM
I didn't walk today, but I did better with my eating and drinking water.

Poppy
03-25-2005, 07:29 AM
See for yourself: Picture taken by paparazi some time today...
(http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=131717&postcount=505)

Where was I? Oh, I almost forgot, I'm the one who took the picture. ;)

rhymegirl
03-25-2005, 04:34 PM
Wait a second...

Now the hot tub picture is appearing on this thread? Oh boy. What's next, The National Enquirer?

Good Word
03-25-2005, 04:45 PM
I need to announce, for all of you that have listened to my emotional-eating angst and whining:

I had a really good day yesterday food and exercise-wise.

I even went to the gym twice. My training session got cut short, so I went back at the end of the day. I bench pressed 74lbs.

Now I just need to get through a holiday weekend with mega amounts of food and sweets. I'm bringing a Pilates video with me so I can watch it between bouts of ice cream. (Lisa ducks, runs.)

Poppy
03-25-2005, 07:11 PM
I need to announce, for all of you that have listended to my emotional-eating angst and whining:

I had a really good day yesterday food and exercise-wise.

I even went to the gym twice. My training session got cut short, so I went back at the end of the day. I bench pressed 74lbs.

Now I just need to get through a holiday weekend with mega amounts of food and sweets. I'm bringing a Pilates video with me so I can watch it between bouts of ice cream. (Lisa ducks, runs.)

That's wonderful news! :Clap: I'm so jazzed for you.

Good luck with this holiday weekend. :)

tfdswift
03-26-2005, 11:46 PM
I am not going to be around at all tomorrow, so I am reporting in a day early. It looks like I have lost 4 pounds this week. I had to go to the Dr. on thursday and he hadn't seen me for six weeks.

The nurse said I floored her by walking in on my own steam. Then I got up on the scales... It was actually funny, because she tends to set the scales at what your last weight was and then adjust them accordingly. She kept going down and down. Two more pounds and she would have needed to move the big weight. Then the blood pressure... Perfect!!! Then the sugar report... Diabetes best it has ever been. Doctor comes in and can't believe his eyes. He actually said "You look a good bit smaller." Usually I have to go back every four weeks... bad weather just kind of interfered this last time. But I don't have to go back to him until May 12th... He said he has never seen me look so healthy.

Then I go to the store last night to buy shoes and for the first time in years I get something with a little heel instead of flats and I have gone down a shoe size. I was wearing pantyhose so I could make sure the shoes fit right and I kept flopping out of my tennis shoes. I knew they were loose but a shoe size... that excites me.

Now I just have to keep it up... http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_8_5.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSYYYYYY91US) http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_8_8.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSYYYYYY91US) http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_5_122.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSYYYYYY91US) http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_5_126.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSYYYYYY91US) http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_1_106v.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSYYYYYY91US)

~~Tammy

ritinrider
03-28-2005, 04:19 PM
reporting in,

Can't call it a progress report since no progress was made. In fact, my scales went the wrong direction this morning, up insteada down. It was only one pound, but sheesh, I'd worked hard to get that pound off, now I gotta do it again! On the plus side, it may only be water gain, my measurements didn't go up and my hip measurement even went down a fraction of an inch, not enough to count, but enough to keep me from being totally bummed.

It's light outside now, so I think I'll go for a walk.

Hope everyone else had a better week.

Yahoo Tammy! Way to go. Good blood pressure, good blood sugar, way to mess with the nurse's mind, and longer between doctor's visits. Way cool. You may become our official poster person. Good for you!

Good Word - Bench pressed 74 pounds? Yikes, it's all I can do to say the words, forget actually doing it. 74 pounds is a bunch (yeah I know, bad word), I carry 50 pound feed sacks (occasionally, not daily) and they are Heavy, so adding 24 pounds is a lot. How did you do with all your daughter's goodies? Not too bad I hope. Did you DO the Pilates between ice cream servings or just watch as you ate? You do realize don't you, watching others exercise does nothing, nada, not a bit, for you? I learned this watching Denise Austin, every morning I'd watch her, or some other exercise genius, for a good 30 min. Didn't lose a pound, or an inch. Probably gained both since I was usually eating and watching.

Cute Chucky, good going. Tried to spell 'slim' with a 'c', but it just looked too wrong.

Nita

Melina
03-28-2005, 04:50 PM
Oh, you guys--

I am so depressed. I've gained back the 5 lbs I lost, plus another 3. I still walk at least a mile a day, and I really don't think I've been overeating...The Pepsi is still a problem, but I've cut way back from where I was before. Only having one a day at most. Been eating a lot of fruit. I've been reading that sleep deprivation causes weight gain and/or difficulty in losing weight. I'm not one to make excuses, but I can't think of any other reason I'm gaining. I guess I'll have to get really militant about the Pepsi.

I haven't been around this thread much because I'm so bummed out. I'm really happy for Tammy and Charlie, and all of you who are making progress. I wish I had progress of my own to report. Something needs to happen, because I feel really unhappy lately. I hate my job, I feel crummy all the time, I'm grouchy...

Sorry I'm so whiny--I don't know what to do.

Melina

rhymegirl
03-28-2005, 05:16 PM
Hi Melina,

I'm not sure what to say that will help but I've got some hugs for you. :Hug2: :Hug2: :Hug2:

Maybe reading the What Makes You Smile thread will help, too. I found that when I was bummed out and feeling negative, I ate more. So I need to think positive and focus on what's good in life. Don't be too hard on yourself. My weight fluctuates, too. It sounds to me like you're doing some good things--eating fruit, exercising. I've tried to drink water instead of soda. Yeah, no taste, but it's good for you.

Keep smiling. :)

JenNipps
03-28-2005, 07:08 PM
I can't exactly say I've made any progress either. I don't know that I've gone back up, but I don't feel like I have. I haven't been on the scale this week. I didn't go to Weight Watchers on Saturday because 1) I didn't have a ride and 2) I didn't feel good.

I still don't feel good. I finally lost the battle and caught the cold that Mom & Dad have been passing around for a couple weeks or so. This is the same thing that knocked Dad on his butt and made him take a whole week off work a couple weeks ago. Hopefully it won't be that bad for me.

I have that nasty N'ICE losenge aftertaste in my mouth, but it beats coughing and whining with a sore throat.

Maryn
03-28-2005, 08:48 PM
Melina, I'd be willing to bet money (which I don't have much of) that every person here has had similar setbacks. I quit smoking 6 times before I actually quit. I've lost the same pounds much of my adult life. Clinicians tell people struggling with gambling or heroin additions to expect backsliding.

I know I've stepped on the scale and had tears in my eyes before I stepped off. I've also punched the shower curtain hard (that'll teach it to buy leftover Easter candy at 70% off!) and loathed myself far more than I deserved.

Give yourself a non-food treat (manicure? 30 minutes with a trashy novel?) and a promise to do much better. Not perfect, just much better. Don't let recent failure become permission not to try with renewed fervor.

We're here, and we're trying, too. Tell us how to support you best and you've got it.

Maryn, who didn't lose anything all month--but also didn't gain

tfdswift
03-29-2005, 01:14 AM
I thought I'd tell you all about my day "free from the diet".

I woke up and had a diet waffle (Must be habit)

For lunch I had a lean pocket (More habit)

Went to dinner - started with a salad - splurged and put croutons on it - nothing else bad in the salad. Dinner was 2 oz. of ham and 3 oz. of turkey breast, 4 shrimp, 1/4 cup of stuffing, and one bite of mashed potatoes, and a roll. Finished with some fresh pineapple and a small peice of carrot cake.

I was planning to eat so many things and I had a very pathetic dinner. I had planned to binge on all my favorite foods and then couldn't really do it.

Oh well back to the diet.... http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_8_9.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSYYYYYYBKUS) http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_8_10.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSYYYYYYBKUS) http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_8_12.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSYYYYYYBKUS)

~~Tammy

ritinrider
03-29-2005, 02:02 AM
Tammy, you did good. Glad to hear whatever was affecting Melina, Jen, and myself didn't get to your neck of the woods (or you have weight repellent, would that be called weightaway?). Was hubby okay with your eating plan, thought you said he didn't want to be bummed cause he was eating and you weren't?

Melina and Jen, don't know what to say girls it was a bad week all around. Especially since you both have jobs you hate right now. Seems like something could be good doesn't it. Rhymegirl and Maryn both had some good suggestions, and remember, today is a new day and this is a new week. Clean slate, start again, and again, and again, as many times as it takes until we reach our goals.

Nita

ChunkyC
03-29-2005, 04:34 AM
A quick drop-in to report that I'm down another pound to 226. One more by Thursday and I'll have made my goal for the month!

(nothing like waiting until the last minute)

To those who are having great success, congratulations!

To those who feel like they aren't getting anywhere or are backsliding, don't give up. Attitude is a huge part of anything like this. Think thin. Think healthy. Think happy. Smile a lot, walk with your back straight and even if you don't drop pounds you know you are getting healthier, both mentally and physically.

Keep it up, gang!

JenNipps
03-29-2005, 06:53 PM
Melina and Jen, don't know what to say girls it was a bad week all around. Especially since you both have jobs you hate right now. Seems like something could be good doesn't it. Rhymegirl and Maryn both had some good suggestions, and remember, today is a new day and this is a new week. Clean slate, start again, and again, and again, as many times as it takes until we reach our goals.

You're quite the philosophical one. :)

I wish somebody would tell this cold it's a new day/week and to leave me the [censored] alone. lol.

I'm trudging along.

Melina
03-29-2005, 06:59 PM
Thanks, guys. :Hug2: I sure am grateful I have you. I will keep plugging away. This is a new week--I just need to quit feeling sorry for myself and get moving. No one can change things but me, right? Back to it, then...

Melina

tfdswift
03-30-2005, 01:44 AM
Ritinrider,

Actually, hubby ate enough for three people. Once he started eating, he didn't seem to notice what was on my plate. He ate four steaks, two chicken breasts, ham and all the fixin's. I don't know where he put it all.

I wish I had some words of wisdom for those of you who are struggling, but all I know to do is to keep on doing the best you can. I'm a rootin' fer ya.

~~Tammy

JenNipps
03-30-2005, 06:24 AM
Hey, guys, here's a question....

Since we've done so well through February & March, do we want to continue on to April? And providing we do, do we want to start another thread or have someone change the title of this one to "Gettin' Healthy" or something?

OK, so that's more than a question.

Good Word
03-30-2005, 04:02 PM
Well, I started out the holiday weekend really well, but by late Sunday the chocolate eggs got the best of me. They weren't even that good. I took the Pilates video out several times but there were always too many people in the living room--I didn't really want to be on display! And it's tough to get to the gym up there, so I'm happy to be home.

It's a new month (thanks Jen, for the reminder, I started the new thread), and a new opportunity to get healthy.

I'm off to the gym today--and WW too.

ChunkyC
03-30-2005, 08:44 PM
I'm going to finish off this month with the following:

225lbs

I have reached this month's goal with one day to spare! Yeeha!

JenNipps
03-31-2005, 07:10 AM
I'm going to finish off this month with the following:

225lbs

I have reached this month's goal with one day to spare! Yeeha!

:Clap:

Too bad I can't say the same. lol. Heh. Then again, I suppose I should have a goal first. :)