Memoir /true crime crossover?

michelle25

Registered
Reaction score
I am stuck in terms of choosing either memoir or true crime as the genre in which to market my book. Well, there hasn’t been an arrest for the criminal yet so I guess I can’t do true crime yet. However, I would like to know if there are any books out there that would compare with what I’ve written – a first-person narrative from the point of view of the victim rather than from some omniscient teller. I’m looking for books that, despite what they’ve been labeled, could fit into either memoir or crime genre. Are there any out there you can suggest? Thanks!

michelle25

Registered
Reaction score
Actually, I just thought of Alice Sebold's 'Lucky'. That could've been true crime, but she sold it as memoir (maybe because she was already well known for The Lovely Bones?) Anyway, I prefer fiction and memoirs to nonfiction and that's the way I want to go. Any other titles along these lines you know of?

SHBueche

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ShelleyBueche.com
Michelle, There are plenty of books out there that meet the description you are referring to (only I am at a loss to name one title, at the moment). Also, plenty of true crime books where the killer has not been apprehended, also many written from the point of view of the victim. Please keep us posted, this project sounds interesting.

michelle25

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I recently re-worked my query letter to include references to both 'Lucky' and the film 'Catch Me If You Can' (only because the guy about whom I wrote is a lot like Frank Abignale Jr.). After my experiences, I now tend to look more critically at stories that glorify criminals and portray them as the heroes. That's another thing my book involves - a look at humanity and how sometimes bad people have potential to be good and good people have potential to be bad...and all that gray stuff that serves as the source of much inner conflict.

grommet

Registered
Reaction score
Michelle,

Another book that weaves both genre's is James Ellroy's My Dark Places.

grommet