PDA

View Full Version : Memoir /true crime crossover?

michelle25
11-16-2007, 04:46 AM
I am stuck in terms of choosing either memoir or true crime as the genre in which to market my book. Well, there hasnít been an arrest for the criminal yet so I guess I canít do true crime yet. However, I would like to know if there are any books out there that would compare with what Iíve written Ė a first-person narrative from the point of view of the victim rather than from some omniscient teller. Iím looking for books that, despite what theyíve been labeled, could fit into either memoir or crime genre. Are there any out there you can suggest? Thanks!

michelle25
11-16-2007, 04:30 PM
Actually, I just thought of Alice Sebold's 'Lucky'. That could've been true crime, but she sold it as memoir (maybe because she was already well known for The Lovely Bones?) Anyway, I prefer fiction and memoirs to nonfiction and that's the way I want to go. Any other titles along these lines you know of?

Ritergal
11-16-2007, 08:25 PM
I don't know of any titles, but the idea of writing this as memoir appeals to me a lot. I'd be interested in reading such a book.

SHBueche
11-19-2007, 06:41 PM
Michelle, There are plenty of books out there that meet the description you are referring to (only I am at a loss to name one title, at the moment). Also, plenty of true crime books where the killer has not been apprehended, also many written from the point of view of the victim. Please keep us posted, this project sounds interesting.

michelle25
11-20-2007, 03:23 AM
Thanks guys. I recently re-worked my query letter to include references to both 'Lucky' and the film 'Catch Me If You Can' (only because the guy about whom I wrote is a lot like Frank Abignale Jr.). After my experiences, I now tend to look more critically at stories that glorify criminals and portray them as the heroes. That's another thing my book involves - a look at humanity and how sometimes bad people have potential to be good and good people have potential to be bad...and all that gray stuff that serves as the source of much inner conflict.

grommet
11-21-2007, 07:41 PM
Michelle,

Another book that weaves both genre's is James Ellroy's My Dark Places.

grommet (http://www.kathrynmillerhaines.com)