PDA

View Full Version : Common Words

temerity
11-16-2007, 03:47 AM
Just wondering--I was looking through some old poems and noticed that I tend to favor some words more than others...like fold. I use fold and curl a lot in my writing, and I don't know why! (I think I've used fold in my three most recent poems). Palm comes up often, too, and breath.

Does anyone else find themselves working the same words into different poems?

oneblindmouse
11-16-2007, 01:25 PM
Yes, I also find myself favouring some words repeatedly in poems. They just seem to come naturally, or maybe I tend to write about the same themes. But I've found that published poets do it too, so it can't be bad!

kimmeunier
11-21-2007, 04:56 AM
I tend to use the same words as well. It makes me crasy. I am new to poetry. I wrote poems as a teenager (who didn't) but I found most recently that I have to get pen and paper, or go on the computer to write down my thoughts. It's funny. I can close my eyes, and the words come to me. I don't know how good they are, but it helps to get all the thoughts running through my head OUT! Good luck!

Ziljon
11-21-2007, 06:05 AM
I find myself using "prodigious" quite a bit, not in poetry but in everyday life, in congratulatory posts, and in my wip. It's a direct homage to my favorite author, Patrick O'Brian, whose series I am daily re-reading.