PDA

View Full Version : What software/word processor do you use?

D.L.Steele
11-16-2007, 03:44 AM
I am just curious about what writing tools people on the board use. Do you use a word processor like MS Word, or another piece of software? I have noticed that there are several software titles out there that are geared specifically for writers

KTC
11-16-2007, 04:39 AM
I use MS Word. It works. I'll never change.

PS. Welcome to AW!

truelyana
11-16-2007, 04:44 AM
Welcome to AW D.L.Steele,

MS Word for me too. My typewriter is dusty. :(

Enjoy your stay. :D

WriterGirl2007
11-16-2007, 04:45 AM
MS Word, and that's what all my clients use too! Only exception is if I'm writing a script, in which case it's Final Draft.

Sean D. Schaffer
11-16-2007, 08:46 AM
For my first draft, I'm using a 1950's era Olympia full-sized manual typewriter I bought at a church up the street on Halloween. For later drafts, I'm toying with getting OpenOffice again (I have a different computer than I had two months ago, so I don't have all the stuff I had before). The thing with OpenOffice is, it's a big program and has more stuff than I need for writing (drawing program, etc.).

I've also used Works in the past, and it, well, works. Not a great program, but it's decent. I've never used Word, though, and I've wanted to for some time if only to find out how well it works.

JimmyB27
11-16-2007, 02:25 PM
Open Office, because I'm too cheap to buy Word :tongue:

Plus, I use a Mac and putting M$ programs on it seems a bit of a sacrilege.

KTC
11-16-2007, 03:13 PM
Open Office, because I'm too cheap to buy Word :tongue:

Do people actually BUY word? (-;

eodmatt
11-16-2007, 03:43 PM
"Buy???" (Aghast smiley). Shock, horror at the very thought. I use MS Word because I am too scared to change in case I lose, or corrupt any of my large data base of techo stuff, papers and articles.

larocca
11-16-2007, 04:07 PM
Hammer, chisel, clay tablets

L M Ashton
11-16-2007, 04:28 PM
Word currently, but considering switching to yWriter for fiction.

nessam
11-16-2007, 04:45 PM
Word! Actually Word 2007 and yes we bought MS offfice. However, my husband got some kind of crazy deal on it. I think we paid $20 for the suite and yes it is a legal copy. My husband hates the new version. I am quickly learning to love it.

jenngreenleaf
11-16-2007, 04:52 PM
:welcome:

I use MS Word. :)

Maryn
11-16-2007, 06:34 PM
I use MS Word 2003, which came installed on this computer. It does everything I need and I understand its use. Some publications which accept submission via email specify Word (and a few other formats), and since I'm not a tech type, I'm confident that I've got my manuscript in a form they accept.

However, I used to use WordPerfect, which came installed on previous computers, and I had a slight preference for it. Its Reveal Codes feature proved itself far, far superior to Word's, its set-up of tables and tabs is more intuitive, and its spell-checking feature is invaluable because of its wild card feature.

More than once, I've gnashed my teeth at the way Word assumes it knows more than the user about what the user is trying to do.

Maryn, muddying the water

DeleyanLee
11-16-2007, 06:46 PM
Open Office here, because Word 97 stopped functioning and I'm not paying for the upgrade MS demands I get to fix it.

Shadow_Ferret
11-16-2007, 07:12 PM
Word 97 because my copy didn't stop working.

GeorgieB
11-16-2007, 07:50 PM
yWriter3 (thanks, Hal!) for writing, RoughDraft for editing and polishing. MS Word frightens me :eek:

sunna
11-16-2007, 08:03 PM
Word (buy it, though??), though now I'm going to check out yWriter....

ChaosTitan
11-16-2007, 08:04 PM
At the moment, I switch between Microsoft Works and Word 2007. Each one has different features that I like.

For more responses, check out these threads:

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72953&highlight=writing+software

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67704&highlight=writing+software

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20278&highlight=writing+software

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36769&highlight=writing+software

Jack Nog
11-16-2007, 08:50 PM
New Toy:

I found a small dell laptop (Latitude C400, 1.4 Pentium 3, 512 RAM) in my scrap metal pile I like to call my computer lab-reality is that this is just a bunch of computer parts I'm not willing to part with.

I installed Fedora 7 Linux and use the Open Office 2.2 for composing. I'm used to Word 03/07, so I'm still getting used to this.

Question for Open Office users (this probably belongs in the tech forum). I initially started composing on Word 03 and when I switched, I get get an error in Open Office about formatting and it's not compatible. If I click yes, it sometimes saved what I wrote, sometimes it doesn't. I've lost about 5k in composition so far, and I'm tired of it. The only thing I can think of is that I'm saving to a USB drive and I'm pulling the drive before the save is complete (I've seen this on windows machine so I'm inclined to think this is the problem). I just wondered if anyone else has run into this.

Sean D. Schaffer
11-16-2007, 08:58 PM
New Toy:

I found a small dell laptop (Latitude C400, 1.4 Pentium 3, 512 RAM) in my scrap metal pile I like to call my computer lab-reality is that this is just a bunch of computer parts I'm not willing to part with.

...Snipped.

Nice toy. :) My previous machine was a Dell Inspiron 8100 with a P3, 800 to 1200 MHz dual speed. I sold it to my Mom when I got rid of the Internet a couple months back, and she finally sold it back to me a few days ago. Alas, I now have a desktop and no use for a laptop, and so I sold the laptop to a neighbor who has been wanting a laptop for years. He's not had a computer before, I don't think, so it's a real treat for him.

But that Inspiron was a good machine. It was a business laptop, so it was very reliable (I've heard horror stories about Dell computers for a long time, but they were usually the less-expensive models for home users). I do miss it, if even slightly.

Sean D. Schaffer
11-16-2007, 09:03 PM
Snipped...

Question for Open Office users (this probably belongs in the tech forum). I initially started composing on Word 03 and when I switched, I get get an error in Open Office about formatting and it's not compatible. If I click yes, it sometimes saved what I wrote, sometimes it doesn't. I've lost about 5k in composition so far, and I'm tired of it. The only thing I can think of is that I'm saving to a USB drive and I'm pulling the drive before the save is complete (I've seen this on windows machine so I'm inclined to think this is the problem). I just wondered if anyone else has run into this.

Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to mention this while I'm thinking about it.

I have a USB drive and it has to be ejected a certain way, by going to the program menu and actually clicking on an 'Eject' icon (in my case it's in the little bar where the clock is on Windows XP). It's kind of like the way you shut computers down these days. You don't just push the 'off' button, in other words, usually, unless you have a problem with the machine crashing. The same is true for a lot of the USB drives. You don't take it out without the software telling you it's safe to do so.

I hope this helps you out. Best wishes with figuring out your problem.

:)

Jack Nog
11-16-2007, 09:05 PM
Nice toy. :) My previous machine was a Dell Inspiron 8100 with a P3, 800 to 1200 MHz dual speed. I sold it to my Mom when I got rid of the Internet a couple months back, and she finally sold it back to me a few days ago. Alas, I now have a desktop and no use for a laptop, and so I sold the laptop to a neighbor who has been wanting a laptop for years. He's not had a computer before, I don't think, so it's a real treat for him.

But that Inspiron was a good machine. It was a business laptop, so it was very reliable (I've heard horror stories about Dell computers for a long time, but they were usually the less-expensive models for home users). I do miss it, if even slightly.

Yep, it had window and then crapped out on me. I had a epiphany for Linux and went to that. I've played with that OS before, but not enough to consider myself great with it. The good thing is, I can't get the wireless networking up and running. I know this sounds like a bad thing, but I like NOT having the internet on it. I just use my desktop for patches and stuff and transfer them via thumb drives.

chartreuse
11-16-2007, 11:28 PM
I just use Microsoft Works - it's more than adequate.

Microsoft Word 2007 is way too cluttered - it took me about 20 minutes to just find the "print" command on the menu - for some reason they thought it was a good idea to stick it in an obscure place. I guess because it's something we'd use so infrequently.

absitinvidia
11-16-2007, 11:42 PM
I've been using Scrivener, and so far I love it.

J. R. Tomlin
11-16-2007, 11:44 PM
None of the others have Change Tracker, which I consider essential, so Word it is.

I tried yWriter and several others, but none of them track changes and comments the way Word does.

Mayntz
11-17-2007, 02:16 AM
I use MS Word as well, whatever bloody version is installed on this dinosaur computer with its dial-up modem... (Having a bad internet day, sorry.) One of my favorite writing tool, though, is my Neo by Alphasmart. It's a tiny, light thing that runs on AA batteries (practically forever, I've been using it at least 4-5 times per week since January and have only changed the batteries once), and it's just a basic word processor. After you've typed on it, you can uplink it to your computer via USB cable and voila, transfer the files to whatever program you like. I love it, because it's great to travel with and far less cumbersome than a laptop -- what's more, laptops have too many distractions for my wandering fingers!

You can check out the details here:
http://www.alphasmart.com/products/neo_In.html

ChunkyC
11-17-2007, 03:12 AM
OpenOffice all the way.

None of the others have Change Tracker, which I consider essential, so Word it is.

I tried yWriter and several others, but none of them track changes and comments the way Word does.
OpenOffice tracks changes: Edit menu, Changes. Each program will do things a little differently. It does require a learning curve to switch programs, but not much more difficult than learning a new version sometimes. And at nearly 800 bucks for Microsoft Office, I decided long ago instead of maxing out my credit card, I'd rather click the HELP menu in OpenOffice whenever I want to figure out how to do something.

arodriguez
11-17-2007, 03:52 AM
yeah word 2007 made me a believer. stay away from microsoft works, its word on crack.

GeorgieB
11-17-2007, 07:49 PM
One of my favorite writing tool, though, is my Neo by Alphasmart. It's a tiny, light thing that runs on AA batteries (practically forever, I've been using it at least 4-5 times per week since January and have only changed the batteries once), and it's just a basic word processor. After you've typed on it, you can uplink it to your computer via USB cable and voila, transfer the files to whatever program you like. I love it, because it's great to travel with and far less cumbersome than a laptop -- what's more, laptops have too many distractions for my wandering fingers!

In addition to my laptop and using yWriter3 and RoughDraft, I also use a Neo for those time when I don't want to lug the laptop around. One of its best features is the quick turn-on time. About a second, literally and you're ready to type. Auto saves on power off. Amazing device.

J. R. Tomlin
11-18-2007, 12:51 AM
OpenOffice all the way.

OpenOffice tracks changes: Edit menu, Changes. Each program will do things a little differently. It does require a learning curve to switch programs, but not much more difficult than learning a new version sometimes. And at nearly 800 bucks for Microsoft Office, I decided long ago instead of maxing out my credit card, I'd rather click the HELP menu in OpenOffice whenever I want to figure out how to do something.

I was curious about this since my memory was that OO did not track changes, so I downloaded it and gave it a try.

I went to Edit and Changes. Show was checked so I typed a sentence. Then I changed it. It changed with no tracking. So I UNchecked show, typed a sentence, and changed it. No tracking. So I REcheck marked Show and still it didn't track the changes.

I went to the Help and searched on track changes. No topic came up. Well, I didn't intend to change from Word anyway, since I own and like it, but I was interested in if OO could be reasonably recommended to authors who can't afford Word. I do think it is rather over-priced.

As far as I can find, OO does not track changes. Since I consider this an essential function, I wouldn't personally recommend it, but it is a reliable product I believe if you don't mind fewer bells and whistles.

Edit: And your comments implying someone who uses Word is too lazy to check help were a bit uncalled for.

WriterGirl2007
11-18-2007, 01:18 AM

I've used the Change Tracker when working with clients. They'll suggest changes, e-mail the doc back to me, and we work that way. It makes switching to any other program impossible for me. But I'm fine with that. I'm a huge fan of MSWord, always have been. :)

Righting
11-18-2007, 06:20 AM
I use MS Word.

Vorteil
11-18-2007, 11:28 AM
I use Microsoft Works Word, mainly because I've been using it for years and it's easier not to switch. I've tried Word out but it felt too cluttered.

Lady Cat
11-19-2007, 12:28 AM
Doesn't anybody besides me use Corel WordPerfect?? :Shrug:

I was using WordPerfect 9 until my computer got a virus and had to be reformatted, and when my friend the computer geek reloaded the software he gave me WordPerfect 13, which has all kinds of extra goodies that I haven't taken the time to explore yet. One of the features is that you can have it come up as Microsoft Word, but why bother?

Sean D. Schaffer
11-19-2007, 12:32 AM

I was using WordPerfect 9 until my computer got a virus and had to be reformatted, and when my friend the computer geek reloaded the software he gave me WordPerfect 13, which has all kinds of extra goodies that I haven't taken the time to explore yet. One of the features is that you can have it come up as Microsoft Word, but why bother?

I've thought about it, because I know several writers around here who do use it (JAR, I think, uses that particular program, although I'm not certain of it). Sadly, I don't have the money right now to buy a copy, and though I did try a trial version I never really got into it ... because of depression, mostly, I wasn't writing a lot back then.

WriterGirl2007
11-19-2007, 02:55 AM

I used to, many many years ago! :)

oscuridad
11-19-2007, 03:03 AM
I've been using Scrivener, and so far I love it.

just picked up the trial for scrivener - it is pretty cool with lots of very sensible bits and pieces. So far so good. Up 'til now I have been using MS word for Mac.

D.L.Steele
11-19-2007, 09:42 PM
Well, I guess all those posts answer my question :) Looks like MS Word is the favorite. I guess I'll just stick with that. I use Word on my Windows PC and Google Docs, which is convenient when you want to have access to your writing from any computer...and it's free, so the price is right. You can check it out here (https://docs.google.com/) if anyone is interested.

Sean D. Schaffer
11-19-2007, 09:52 PM
Well, I guess all those posts answer my question :) Looks like MS Word is the favorite. I guess I'll just stick with that. I use Word on my Windows PC and Google Docs, which is convenient when you want to have access to your writing from any computer...and it's free, so the price is right. You can check it out here (https://docs.google.com/) if anyone is interested.

Bolding Mine.

I think the one thing you'll find a lot of writers saying around this forum, is if you already have a good word processor, to just keep using it. I know a couple people here who say the best word processor is nothing more than a glorified typewriter. Bell and whistles are kept to a minimum, and formatting is simple with the ideal word processor, in other words.

But if it works for you, then by all means use it. I used Works for years before switching to OpenOffice, partially because I was used to Works and it came on my first computer.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, you are the best judge of what will work for you. The only real requirement a publisher might have with word processors is the format in which a piece is saved, both in margins and such, and also in file type. If you get a setup that can save to a required format and works well for you personally, you're pretty much in business.

ChunkyC
11-23-2007, 04:35 AM
And your comments implying someone who uses Word is too lazy to check help were a bit uncalled for.
That truly wasn't my intent at all, my apologies that it came out that way. I should be more careful how I channel my dislike of Microsoft's pricing.

I've never used track changes in any word processor, so I had no idea it wouldn't work in OO the way Word users would expect it to. I only searched the help files and came across where to find it; I typed "track changes" in the index tab, and this came up:

Track Changes feature in Microsoft Office

Double-clicking that brought up a list of Office features and the OO equivalents, I clicked the link next to Track Changes (Changes - Record) and these were the instructions:

Lists the commands that are available for tracking changes in your file.
To access this command...
Choose Edit - Changes

Record (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/vnd.sun.star.help://shared/text/shared/01/02230100.xhp?Language=en-US&System=WIN&UseDB=no&DbPAR=swriter)

Tracks each change that is made in the current document by author and date.
Protect Records (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/vnd.sun.star.help://shared/text/shared/01/02230150.xhp?Language=en-US&System=WIN&UseDB=no&DbPAR=swriter)

Prevents a user from deactivating the record changes feature, or from accepting or rejecting changes unless the user enters a password.
Show (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/vnd.sun.star.help://shared/text/shared/01/02230200.xhp?Language=en-US&System=WIN&UseDB=no&DbPAR=swriter)

Shows or hides recorded changes.
Accept or Reject (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/vnd.sun.star.help://shared/text/shared/01/02230400.xhp?Language=en-US&System=WIN&UseDB=no&DbPAR=swriter)

Accept or reject recorded changes.
Comment (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/vnd.sun.star.help://shared/text/shared/01/02230300.xhp?Language=en-US&System=WIN&UseDB=no&DbPAR=swriter)

Enter a comment for the recorded change.
Merge Document (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/vnd.sun.star.help://shared/text/shared/01/02230500.xhp?Language=en-US&System=WIN&UseDB=no&DbPAR=swriter)

Imports changes made to copies of the same document into the original document. Changes made to footnotes, headers, frames and fields are ignored.

Each blue text was a link that took me to further instructions, for example, under Record I got this:

Record

Tracks each change that is made in the current document by author and date.
To access this command...
Choose Edit - Changes - Record

If you choose Record - Show, the lines containing changed text passages are indicated by a vertical line in the left page margin. You can set the properties of the vertical line and the other markup elements by choosing Tools - Options - OpenOffice.org Writer - Changes (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/vnd.sun.star.help://shared/text/shared/optionen/01040700.xhp?Language=en-US&System=WIN&UseDB=no&DbPAR=swriter).
The following changes are tracked when the record changes command is active:

Paste and delete text

Move paragraphs
Sort text
Find and replace text
Insert attributes that are one character wide, for example, fields and footnotes.
Insert sheets, ranges
Insert document
Insert AutoText
Insert from clipboard
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/vnd.sun.star.pkg://file:%2F%2F%2FC:%2FProgram%2520Files%2FOpenOffice. org%25202.3%2Fshare%2Fconfig%2Fimages_industrial.z ip/res/helpimg/note.png
Changes made to formulas or numbers in tables are not recorded.

With it off, I typed in text and it appeared normal. Then I clicked Edit - Changes - Record and changed some of the text. What I changed appeared in red.

I hope that helps someone using OO who can make use of this.

L M Ashton
11-23-2007, 04:53 AM
I didn't know track changes didn't work in OO. That pretty much seals the deal - Fahim (the hubby and fellow writer) and I use track changes to check on edits between articles, short stories, and novels, and we use it pretty close to daily. Without track changes, we'd, well, be hooped. Track changes is vital for us.

J. R. Tomlin
11-23-2007, 04:56 AM
You had a lot more success with it than I did. Odd that when I did a search for track changes nothing came up but such is life. I typed in track changes in the help search field. Oh, well...

I certainly don't blame anyone who doesn't want or need to pay for the ridiculous amount that MS Office costs. I have no complaints but I also already own it. :)

MonaLeigh
11-23-2007, 07:11 AM
Microsoft Word 2007 was on this laptop as a trial when I bought it, but I couldn't afford to keep it. Now I have Open Office, which is nice b/c it's free. But it's not MS Word 2007:( I used Movie Magic for screenwriting.

virtue_summer
11-23-2007, 07:59 AM
For roughdrafts I use my Alphasmart Dana if I'm away from the computer or, if I'm at the computer, I use RoughDraft (love the notepad on the side). For revisions I tend to switch to Microsoft Word because that's where I can format it right for sending it out when it's done.

ChunkyC
11-23-2007, 07:43 PM
I didn't know track changes didn't work in OO. That pretty much seals the deal - Fahim (the hubby and fellow writer) and I use track changes to check on edits between articles, short stories, and novels, and we use it pretty close to daily. Without track changes, we'd, well, be hooped. Track changes is vital for us.
Well there ya go. This stuff should make your life easier, not harder. If any piece of software doesn't do what you need it to do, it's not worth the money, even when free. ;)

Chasing the Horizon
11-24-2007, 05:17 AM
I use Appleworks 6. I've been using Appleworks since I was five years old (back then it was called Clarisworks, though) and absolutely love it. Appleworks is just so incredibly simple and easy to use. It has very few features, meaning I don't have to dig through ten menus of stuff I can't even identify to find spell check.

I hate MS Word with a passion. I would use a notebook and pen before writing in that (which really says something, because I type my grocery lists). Even MS Word for Mac is a hopeless quagmire of 'features' I've never used, don't know how to use, and don't want to learn how to use. I once spent half an hour trying to get MS Word for Windows to give me a freakin' blank sheet of paper (I finally gave up and wrote the memo by hand).

Because of learning on Appleworks and using it for my entire life, I've been hopelessly spoiled by its reliability and simplicity. Besides, if I switched all the keyboard shortcuts I have memorized and use instinctively wouldn't work anymore. Appleworks also includes spreadsheet, painting, drawing, presentation, and database functions, all of which integrate seamlessly into each other and into word documents. I stick a little mini-spreadsheet into the beginning of my manuscripts to track progress. As far as I know, Appleworks is the only word processing program capable of doing this (which is somewhat shocking, considering how many features are cluttering up Word, I can't believe it can't do something this basic and simple.)

Deirdre
11-24-2007, 01:37 PM
I use a text editor, specifically TextMate.

I do have a change tracker -- it's called Subversion. Writing only in text files means that they're easy to do version control with.

Because I have to emit my final form in several formats, I can have several variants and generate the PDF or RTF as needed.

It's a geeky way of doing things, but that suits me.

sharpierae
11-24-2007, 04:45 PM
ms word 2004 on mac for all my wordprocessing needs. although i'm (admittedly irrationaly) anti-microsoft, appleworks just doesn't do it for me. i'm cozy with word.

oh yeah, i use final draft 6 for screenplays. final draft 7 suuuuuucks, i had to update because a production company i was working with wrote scriptnotes in 7... but as soon as that was done it was back to 6.

xxxrae

thethinker42
11-24-2007, 09:28 PM
I use MS Word. I don't need anything fancy.

edgyllama
11-24-2007, 09:44 PM
I use a Mac. I use Mellel. I love it.

I used to use WordPerfect but they stopped making a mac version ten years ago, which bummed me. I also love FrameMaker but they stopped making a Mac version of that, too.

I dont use Word, or Windows, at all.

D.L.Steele
11-25-2007, 09:31 PM
MS Word 2007 and here's why (because it's a pain to learn where everything is all over again from MS Word 2003):

all of the headings are based on the normal font, so if you need to change your font for another font at a lit agent's request, you make one right click to the normal font, click modify, and change it to whatever font the lit agent wants. Voila, you're done. It changes ALL of the fonts to that font unless you've specified other headings that are not based on the normal font.

In MS Word 2003, you have to do it for every single font that you used and it was a major pain. So, if you get MS Word 2007 ($120 at Amazon), then you're set, saving yourself tons of time.

MS Word 2007 also has something called "Document Map" and if you use a standard heading1, heading2, heading3 for your chapter headings, you can click on that to get immediately to the chapter you're currently editing, rather than scrolling through the whole thing. Before, you needed to create a table of contents to do that. Now, you don't. Just use document map.

:)

Oh, that's a good feature. I'll have to think about upgrading

DamaNegra
11-27-2007, 11:53 PM
Yeah, I also use Word 2007 for the first draft and am considering yWriter for editing. Word 2007 is a beauty once you get the hang of it :) I definitely wouldn't want to switch back to 2003.

eodmatt
11-28-2007, 12:06 AM
I use WORD 2007, because I am too chicken to change to something more sensible. The thought of scrambling some - or any - of the several terabytes of data I have stored which relates to my work over the last 34 years, by changing my software, doesn't bear thinking about.

Tirjasdyn
11-28-2007, 02:45 AM
yWriter 4....having the ability to move scenes around at will and keep my notes next to them and character bios at hand has become a must.

ACEnders
11-29-2007, 03:49 AM
MS Word 2003. Be careful if you switch from 2003 to 2007. I got the free trial and almost lost my entire manuscript in translation. My husband's a genious and after a couple hours was able to restore it. But deleted 2007 and decided never to use it again.

DamaNegra
11-29-2007, 07:18 AM
Just looked into OneNote. I only have one word for it: Intimidating.

You can check yWriter out here (http://spacejock.com/yWriter3.html).

GeorgieB
11-29-2007, 10:26 PM
D.L. Steele,
What is ywriter4? Never heard of it. Is it Apple-based or Microsoft-based?

It's a free program written by our very own Simon Haynes (Halspacejock, I think) and is a very nice and easy-to-use novel writing program. Runs on PC's, and can run on Linux (with an added program). Google 'spacejock software' for more info and download files.

I used version 3 for last year's NaNo, and upgraded to version 4 for this year. Its layout is easy and intuitive to learn. I especially like the way it can be used for outlining; the scene descriptions are very useful for that. It's got loads of other features (character, place, object descriptions), a time-line feature and a scene rating scheme.

Give it a look.

theloveofwriting
11-30-2007, 08:08 AM
WordPad
AbiWord
Jarte
WordPerfect

I find Microsoft Word to be quite boring.

CalGrave
12-04-2007, 09:04 AM
Just got into yWriter nice to know the guy who made it is here.
For me whenever I use word it reminds me of doing an essay. Since I want to be in a mood for writing a book when I'm writing a book, its nice to have yWriter for that exclusive use.

shannp
12-04-2007, 09:29 AM
I'm another MS Word user. I'd love to try something new, but from previous experience, most of my clients prefer that I work with the MS line.

Homewrecker
12-04-2007, 01:49 PM
I'm a WordPerfect user but am slowly being forced over to Word as it is the software dejour in my little pond. Will have to check out the new version of Perfect as it might save my bacon. I'm running 9.

WP is more a comfort than anything else. It was the second word processing program I learned (Tandy's SuperScripsit being the first) and I'm very familiar with it. I do have a demo version of Final Draft on computer but have yet to try it. I keep flinching when I think of the purchase price.

L M Ashton
12-04-2007, 03:06 PM
Heh. My first was WordStar, way way back in the day. :)