What software/word processor do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

D.L.Steele

Registered
Reaction score
I am just curious about what writing tools people on the board use. Do you use a word processor like MS Word, or another piece of software? I have noticed that there are several software titles out there that are geared specifically for writers

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I use MS Word. It works. I'll never change.

PS. Welcome to AW!

WriterGirl2007

Black hole of writing...
Registered
Reaction score
MS Word, and that's what all my clients use too! Only exception is if I'm writing a script, in which case it's Final Draft.

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
For my first draft, I'm using a 1950's era Olympia full-sized manual typewriter I bought at a church up the street on Halloween. For later drafts, I'm toying with getting OpenOffice again (I have a different computer than I had two months ago, so I don't have all the stuff I had before). The thing with OpenOffice is, it's a big program and has more stuff than I need for writing (drawing program, etc.).

I've also used Works in the past, and it, well, works. Not a great program, but it's decent. I've never used Word, though, and I've wanted to for some time if only to find out how well it works.

eodmatt

Registered
Reaction score
"Buy???" (Aghast smiley). Shock, horror at the very thought. I use MS Word because I am too scared to change in case I lose, or corrupt any of my large data base of techo stuff, papers and articles.

nessam

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Word! Actually Word 2007 and yes we bought MS offfice. However, my husband got some kind of crazy deal on it. I think we paid $20 for the suite and yes it is a legal copy. My husband hates the new version. I am quickly learning to love it.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I use MS Word 2003, which came installed on this computer. It does everything I need and I understand its use. Some publications which accept submission via email specify Word (and a few other formats), and since I'm not a tech type, I'm confident that I've got my manuscript in a form they accept.

However, I used to use WordPerfect, which came installed on previous computers, and I had a slight preference for it. Its Reveal Codes feature proved itself far, far superior to Word's, its set-up of tables and tabs is more intuitive, and its spell-checking feature is invaluable because of its wild card feature.

More than once, I've gnashed my teeth at the way Word assumes it knows more than the user about what the user is trying to do.

Maryn, muddying the water

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Open Office here, because Word 97 stopped functioning and I'm not paying for the upgrade MS demands I get to fix it.

GeorgieB

Almost a wannabe writer
Registered
Reaction score
yWriter3 (thanks, Hal!) for writing, RoughDraft for editing and polishing. MS Word frightens me :eek:

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
Word (buy it, though??), though now I'm going to check out yWriter....

Jack Nog

Brain-farts are useful too.
Registered
Reaction score
New Toy:

I found a small dell laptop (Latitude C400, 1.4 Pentium 3, 512 RAM) in my scrap metal pile I like to call my computer lab-reality is that this is just a bunch of computer parts I'm not willing to part with.

I installed Fedora 7 Linux and use the Open Office 2.2 for composing. I'm used to Word 03/07, so I'm still getting used to this.

Question for Open Office users (this probably belongs in the tech forum). I initially started composing on Word 03 and when I switched, I get get an error in Open Office about formatting and it's not compatible. If I click yes, it sometimes saved what I wrote, sometimes it doesn't. I've lost about 5k in composition so far, and I'm tired of it. The only thing I can think of is that I'm saving to a USB drive and I'm pulling the drive before the save is complete (I've seen this on windows machine so I'm inclined to think this is the problem). I just wondered if anyone else has run into this.

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
New Toy:

I found a small dell laptop (Latitude C400, 1.4 Pentium 3, 512 RAM) in my scrap metal pile I like to call my computer lab-reality is that this is just a bunch of computer parts I'm not willing to part with.

...Snipped.

Nice toy. :) My previous machine was a Dell Inspiron 8100 with a P3, 800 to 1200 MHz dual speed. I sold it to my Mom when I got rid of the Internet a couple months back, and she finally sold it back to me a few days ago. Alas, I now have a desktop and no use for a laptop, and so I sold the laptop to a neighbor who has been wanting a laptop for years. He's not had a computer before, I don't think, so it's a real treat for him.

But that Inspiron was a good machine. It was a business laptop, so it was very reliable (I've heard horror stories about Dell computers for a long time, but they were usually the less-expensive models for home users). I do miss it, if even slightly.

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
Snipped...

Question for Open Office users (this probably belongs in the tech forum). I initially started composing on Word 03 and when I switched, I get get an error in Open Office about formatting and it's not compatible. If I click yes, it sometimes saved what I wrote, sometimes it doesn't. I've lost about 5k in composition so far, and I'm tired of it. The only thing I can think of is that I'm saving to a USB drive and I'm pulling the drive before the save is complete (I've seen this on windows machine so I'm inclined to think this is the problem). I just wondered if anyone else has run into this.

Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to mention this while I'm thinking about it.

I have a USB drive and it has to be ejected a certain way, by going to the program menu and actually clicking on an 'Eject' icon (in my case it's in the little bar where the clock is on Windows XP). It's kind of like the way you shut computers down these days. You don't just push the 'off' button, in other words, usually, unless you have a problem with the machine crashing. The same is true for a lot of the USB drives. You don't take it out without the software telling you it's safe to do so.

I hope this helps you out. Best wishes with figuring out your problem.

:)

Jack Nog

Brain-farts are useful too.
Registered
Reaction score
Nice toy. :) My previous machine was a Dell Inspiron 8100 with a P3, 800 to 1200 MHz dual speed. I sold it to my Mom when I got rid of the Internet a couple months back, and she finally sold it back to me a few days ago. Alas, I now have a desktop and no use for a laptop, and so I sold the laptop to a neighbor who has been wanting a laptop for years. He's not had a computer before, I don't think, so it's a real treat for him.

But that Inspiron was a good machine. It was a business laptop, so it was very reliable (I've heard horror stories about Dell computers for a long time, but they were usually the less-expensive models for home users). I do miss it, if even slightly.

Yep, it had window and then crapped out on me. I had a epiphany for Linux and went to that. I've played with that OS before, but not enough to consider myself great with it. The good thing is, I can't get the wireless networking up and running. I know this sounds like a bad thing, but I like NOT having the internet on it. I just use my desktop for patches and stuff and transfer them via thumb drives.

chartreuse

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I just use Microsoft Works - it's more than adequate.

Microsoft Word 2007 is way too cluttered - it took me about 20 minutes to just find the "print" command on the menu - for some reason they thought it was a good idea to stick it in an obscure place. I guess because it's something we'd use so infrequently.

J. R. Tomlin

Banned
Reaction score
None of the others have Change Tracker, which I consider essential, so Word it is.

I tried yWriter and several others, but none of them track changes and comments the way Word does.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.