• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Seeking critique for 3000-word first chapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm looking for critique for the first chapter of my in-progress fantasy novel Empire of Heaven. I feel that at 3000 words the chapter is too long for the Share Your Work forum and I'd rather not break it up. It contains moderate violence and bad language.

Critiques will be returned with love and thanks. :)

Thanks,
Parametric

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Post it. Say up front it's the whole first chapter and you're afraid it runs to 3,000 words. In any event, you are not 'breaking anything up' by posting less - on occasion I may not read a whole submission.

I would obviously hope to do so, but in many cases perceived flaws in even the first page - or the first few pages - do tend to be indicators of what is to come.

Hope you are prepared for possible adverse as well as favourable comments in a critique even though you are still in course of writing the novel. Some folk, myself included, advocate not seeking critiques till the creative writing process is over, the end is reached and the work is edited to make it as good as one can make it. Having the creative flow disturbed by other folk's opinions can be discouraging.

Last edited:

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Bufty,

Thanks for the advice. To be honest, I'm kind of nervous about inviting group critique in case the reaction is extremely negative - I'm eager for ways to improve, but if my entire project should be ripped up to spare mankind, I'd rather hear it in private. Perhaps I'm being too cautious. I'll reconsider Share Your Work. :)

Cheers,
Parametric

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who offered to critique my chapter. I've replied to all offerors now and I look forward to whatever results. :D

Cheers,
Parametric

Status
Not open for further replies.