Starting small

Status
Not open for further replies.

E.M.Sterling

Registered
Reaction score
I have a question. How common place is it for a small publishing house to have books that are picked up and reprinted on a large scale by one of the mega publishing houses?
And what can a writer, publisher or agent do to attract a large publishing house to what has been already released by a smaller one.

Last edited:

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As far as I know, it's not common. It happens when the small press book has sold many thousands of copies and a larger publishing house believes that these sales have not saturated a niche market.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
I have a question. How common place is it for a small publishing house to have books that are picked up and reprinted on a large scale by one of the mega publishing houses?
And what can a writer, publisher or agent do to attract a large publishing house to what has been already released by a smaller one.
Rare, I would agree (though it DOES happen on occasion). But I know myself of a self-published author whose niche book (on gambling) drew the attention of a major international publisher that signed him to a nice contract for a bigger follow-on book.

Not quite the same thing, but still worth knowing about, I think.

--Ken

Stuart Clark

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stuartclark.net
The only ones I know of this happening to are "Eragon" and I think JK Rowling was also with a smaller press before Scholastic picked her up. I could be wrong about that though.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
. . . I think JK Rowling was also with a smaller press before Scholastic picked her up. I could be wrong about that though.
Absolutely wrong. Scholastic is the American publisher, BTW. There is a British publisher, too (Bloomsbury, which is also a major commercial publisher). There was no previous "smaller press."

One source of a bio is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J.K._Rowling. Google is your friend for that sort of thing.

--Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.