Status
Not open for further replies.

Stormhawk

Angry Bunny Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.requirecookie.com
1) Namor will be cool, if people get past the costume, he's cool. Especially when he's hitting on Sue Storm.

2) All they have to do is market it right - Superman with humour.

3) Luke Cage should be cool. The character isn't one-dimensional anymore.

4) It's Thor. 'nuff said.

5) Re: comments on the director: a lot of people thought Matthew Vaughn would stuff up Stardust too...

Axler

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.markellisink.com
No offense, but this guy sounds like someone who doesn't like the superhero in the first place, much less someone who should be writing about it...

I might've given his opinion a bit more weight if he'd spent a little time getting his facts straight.

Namor wasn't a bastard child...his parents were married by the Oracle's captain.

Captain Marvel has been on-screen more times than the Saturday morning show from the 70s...the serial Adventures of Captain Marvel is considered one of the best serials of all time.

captainmarvel41.jpg

Not to mention Cap showed up in The Legends of the Super-Heroes...here rubbing "shoulders" with The Huntress.
huntshaz1.JPG

Cap also had his Saturday morning cartoon show in the 1980s.

And Thor also has been on the screen beyond those old weird Marvel Super-Heroes cartoons from the 1960s.

incrediblehulkreturns03.jpg

The God of Thunder and the Hulk engaged in some fairly decent (by the standards of the time) super-powered smack-down in The Incredible Hulk Returns TV movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWmHEF_PT8E

Ain't it nice to strive to be accurate? Even about trivialities?

Last edited:

FinbarReilly

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twosparrows.5gigs.com
Not really...Part of making fun of someone is to get the facts straight in the first place. Namor has a lot to be made fun of (angsty, crush on various women, CEO of an eco-company); calling him a souped-up Aquaman (given the difference in their powers and backgrounds) and concentrating on his smell is hardly the best way to go. Luke Cage is another; nailing a male character for dressing in yellow and wearing an upside-down tiara by pointing out how effeminate is, especially in an era when guys dressed that way can be seen as homophobic (especially given the remarks about Thor). Considering that he was a fully-developed character, it feels as if there was some race-baiting in there as well. Even the comments about Green Lantern and assholes seems more mean-spirited than funny.

In short, it's funny, but only in teen-age anti-establishment way, and there's just not much actual humor in there so much as a sad attempt as to show up the establishment. Now, if he wanted to make fun of the movies, he would have done his research....Especially with a Power Pack movie on the roster (pubescent kids gone angsty!)...

FR

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
Yeah, Finbar, got it, but ... still funny. Thanks for the Fanboy defense though! :)

jst5150

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
Good point, Mark.

BTW, your "Everything Guide ... Graphic Novels" will be on my shelf, three feet from my hand. ETA: In December. :)

GREAT to have you here and your bibliography is impressive.

ETA: Also, he's probably unintentionally writing to the base movie audience who knows NOTHING about comic book character origins other than what they've seen on the big screen. The broadest origin intel lies in the gallery of Man of Steel, Spidey and Bats. And from there, it drops off precipitously. From the perspective that the base movie fan is coming in to read the piece with little knowledge of comic book background, his column hits on all cylinders. And no one who plops the $9 to see the flick is going to go research it before hand either. Just wants to be entertained. Which, I suppose, gets us into a variation of the "book is better than the movie" discussion, but, to stay on topic, i get what's been said about the column.

And to be fair, I never followed Namor. I liked the Walt Simonson Thor. Green Latern was always a curiosity, but every issue I picked up stunk. I'm still waiting for the American Flagg, Grimjack, Cerebus, and Jon Sable movies. And an Elementals and Grendel flick wouldn't be bad either (and I've heard inklings of the Grendel flick)

jt

Last edited:

jst5150

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
Me, too. That's why I asked to Mod this forum. Thanks for being here!

jt

jst5150

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
FOUR hours and counting until deadline! We're up to NINE (9) entries and looking for your entry in my mailbox! Let's go, AW team!

Status
Not open for further replies.