So this is what happened

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
Shadow Cat died.

She had been missing a week and came home last night. She was holding her head at a weird angle and dragging her back legs.

She was a feral cat. She lived in our shed for the first 2 - 3 years of her life. I saw her around, but she never came close...just looked at me.

Then, in 2001, when we brought home Clyde James as a kitten, she decided to come closer. She and Clyde got along well.

Over the years we were able to tame her a bit, and she'd come for food and water and petting.

She learned her name.

Unable to catch her to spay her, I managed to catch, tame and find homes for 3 litters of her kittens.

Earlier this year I was finally able to convince her I wasn't going to kill her, and I got her spayed and her shots.

She still hated the inside of my house.

So, last night when she came right inside and lay down, I knew something was wrong.

Nothing was broken. She had little feeling in her back legs and was unable to pee or poop.

I took her to the vet. Her thyroid was very enlarged and basically, the doc told me it was going to be over $500.00 to start the treatment, and there was no guarantee that she'd survive it.

It was either a stroke related to the thyroid condition, or a stroke related to something else...on top of other problems.

So I had to decide to let her go.

I feel like shit.

My kids don't know.

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
So sorry Jaycinth. I hope it brings you peace of mind to know that you made her life so much better and longer by being such a loving person.
:Hug2:

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, Jay. :Hug2:

You did the right thing. But it's okay to feel crappy right now.

When you're ready to feel better, go eat something full of calories. That always does the trick.

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
Oh no. Poor kitty. :cry: :Hug2:

You did the right thing, and you were her angel.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I'm so sorry. Letting your pet go is the right thing to do, but it doesn't mean it's easy. In fact, it's very difficult. :Hug2:

aliajohnson

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alissa-johnson.com
I'm so sorry. :Hug2:

You absolutely did the right thing, from the very start. Where I live, most people won't glance twice at a feral cat, let alone love and care for one. It won't make you feel better now, but I hope knowing you gave her the rarity of a good life gives you some comfort down the line. :Hug2:

WerenCole

Funny what? Do I amuse you?
Registered
Reaction score
My dear lady, I am sorry for your cat.

Oddly enough, our family cat, Oksana (Sox) Row******* died this week. She was 19 years old.

She was a good cat.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. That sucks.

The same thing might have happened to my cat, Dave. He also dragged himself into the house one day, under my roommate's bed, and died. We were students and couldn't afford to get him examined but we thought he might have been poisoned. Some people really have it in for cats. Maybe it was some kind of thyroid thing like your little Shadow cat.

I'm sorry. I was devastated when Dave died, so I understand.

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
You definitely did the right thing: she came to you for help and you gave it; she came to you when she was dying and you gave her the chance to do so in peace and without pain, with someone who loved her.

Doesn't necessarily make it easier, I know. :Hug2:

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
shadow cat

she was saying goodbye. and thank you. cats do that. i don't care how insane it sounds, they have spirits and their spirits walk in and out of that big door in the sky much more easily than our spirits do. she will be back. ---s6

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, Jay, I'm so sorry. :( That's such a testament to your love and care that Shadow Cat came "home" to die--even though she didn't love being inside, she obviously loved and trusted you. And you gave her a safe place to come back to, when it was time for her to pass on. I hope you can find comfort in that. :Hug2:

Last edited:

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, Jay--take comfort in the fact that she began to love and trust you as much as she possibly could. She knew you would understand everything without her having to mew a word.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I had a gorgeous semi-feral cat called Tim, who became a dear friend. He used to jump on my bed at night, then rub his head all up one side of me, over the top, then down the other side, purring like a train. I had to let him go just over a year ago, and I still miss him. It was the right thing to do for him, but still... it was terribly hard.

I love my cats. I feel for you. Much love is sent your way in this difficult time.

Foinah

Smoking Monkey Smart Arse
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.foinahjameson.com
Shadow Cat got to have the joy and peace of being loved. When she was hurting she came to you for peace -- you absolutely did the right thing. Prolonging her suffering with thyroid treatments that would or would not have worked would have been for the family's benefit. It was hard choice but you made the right one.
You're a good person and Shadow Cat was lucky to have you! It's okay to be sad...

HUGS!!!!

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I feel for you. THis actually made me cry. I went through the same thing on Sunday. My barn cat, Tiger, took a sudden bad turn. His kidneys had shut down. He dragged himself up to my garage and laid there. I put him down that day. It was the ultimate sign of faith and trust in you that she took herself to the only home she had known to die.

Hugs and love.