PDA

View Full Version : The "I wrote today!" thread

arainsb123
02-25-2005, 07:47 AM
It's sometimes difficult to make time for writing. Hopefully, this thread will motivate you! Each day when you find the time to write, chime in with a message detailing how long you wrote for and how many words you produced

I'm starting this thread because I'm particularly joyous about today's writing. I was only able to write for about half an hour, but during that time I produced over 1300 words!

Rose
02-25-2005, 08:17 AM
I write "morning pages" every, um, morning. I have no idea how many words it is because I literally write the words with a pen, no typing. It's 4 sides of 8 x 5.5 inch paper, and it takes me about 20-30 minutes to fill up the pages.

Interesting aside - for the first several months, my morning pages were whiney "Dear diary" type pages. Then I was inspired by another member of this forum (a guy called Ravenscroft), and my pages are now, more often than not, the first draft of personal essays.

paprikapink
02-25-2005, 09:26 AM
I too was inspired by Ravenscroft, and Marilyn from my writing group, and maybe you, Rose, and maybe Betty, and I don't know exactly what Morning Pages are except that you make time to write them first thing in the morning....and I was finding that left to my own devices I am a big whiner. So. I made a little stipulation to my Morning Pages time. :Lecture: It's also my Think Positive time. Time to notice all the wonderful things I'm blessed with, the things in my life I love, all I'm proud of, the joy I find in life. I can do that for 10 or 20 minutes a day. In writing. Sure! And it can't hurt, writing-wise or life-wise. I've done it for about a week. Okay, 3 days. I'll report in tomorrow!

Thanks for starting this thread, Anders. Sure beats watching you pad your post count! :tongue

-paprikapink

sthrnwriter
02-25-2005, 11:01 AM
I have no idea how many words it is because I literally write the words with a pen, no typing.

I do the same thing but I always type up whatever I write before I stop for the day. Sadly today wasn't a very productive day for me. I only wrote about 400 words. I guess its better than nothing?

arainsb123
02-25-2005, 07:04 PM
I too was inspired by Ravenscroft, and Marilyn from my writing group, and maybe you, Rose, and maybe Betty, and I don't know exactly what Morning Pages are except that you make time to write them first thing in the morning....and I was finding that left to my own devices I am a big whiner. So. I made a little stipulation to my Morning Pages time. :Lecture: It's also my Think Positive time. Time to notice all the wonderful things I'm blessed with, the things in my life I love, all I'm proud of, the joy I find in life. I can do that for 10 or 20 minutes a day. In writing. Sure! And it can't hurt, writing-wise or life-wise. I've done it for about a week. Okay, 3 days. I'll report in tomorrow!

Thanks for starting this thread, Anders. Sure beats watching you pad your post count! :tongue

-paprikapink
I ONLY padded fifteen times or so ...

Rose
02-25-2005, 07:55 PM
Wow, sthrnwriter, you actually type up your handwritten work. I always say I'm going to, but never do, mostly because I loathe typing. Despise it! Composing at the keyboard is one thing, but actual "typing" kills me.

I've done a fair amount of academic writing, lately, and I love love love the research but dread getting my notes into the computer. Oh well, that's how it goes. Anyway, WAY TO GO on diligently getting your penned words into an electronic file.

As for what I wrote today, I did my four morning pages. Of course, it's only 9 am so I suspect I'll write a bunch of queries, too. Happy writing, everyone!

LRFarley
02-25-2005, 10:30 PM
Yesterday, I wrote three different media releases, one for local newspapers, one for non-local newspapers, and one to send to book stores. While they had much the same kind of information, they were all different. Total wordcount, about 600. Today, I think I'll write addresses onto envelopes.

Bob/lrf

arainsb123
02-26-2005, 09:02 AM
This is technically yesterday's wordcount, as yesterday ended two minutes ago. I wrote 600 words.

paprikapink
03-01-2005, 01:26 AM
I've missed a few days. I think that yesterday I actually wrote nuthin' though I sat in the chair and surfed several times, thinking I was sitting down to write.

Today I did write. A bit. Two bits. That's about my word count today. Better than nothing. But not anything to crow about.

-pkpk

TwoKeys
03-01-2005, 04:57 AM
Well, with my wife's birthday being tomorrow, I didn't get to spend too much time writing tonight...but I was able to get two pages of spec done, for a grand total of 254 words. lol (More to come tomorrow!)

Great topic!

TwoKeys
03-01-2005, 05:46 PM
Thanks to the beautiful weather in the northeast, I was unable to back the truck out this morning, so I'm home today. lol I used that to my advantage and sat down for a few more minutes to crank out another 382 words. (Getting there!)

three seven
03-01-2005, 05:56 PM
I haven't written in days, but this morning I'm on fire! Target for today: 3000 words.

paprikapink
03-02-2005, 10:29 PM
I wrote. Fewer than 1K words.

-pkpk

rhymegirl
03-02-2005, 11:52 PM
Well, do greeting cards count?

I have to write 10 a week for a company. I never actually count the words. It's very hard to come up with a "different" way to say the same old thing.

This morning I wrote one big long verse. If I get the words right, that matters more than the word count. Now only 9 to go! :Coffee:

CACTUSWENDY
03-03-2005, 01:11 AM
I'm starting this thread because I'm particularly joyous about today's writing. I was only able to write for about half an hour, but during that time I produced over 1300 words![/QUOTE]

:flag: ...you must be a speed writer....woowoo....congrates..:Clap:

Ella
03-17-2005, 09:51 AM
*groan* Sometimes I feel like a spud, reading other people's mass production counts. I feel elated if I get out 400 words at a time. However, I keep in mind that I'm running two businesses, raising two kids by myself, along with numerous writing projects. If anyone else is in my rocky hectic boat, take heart from me, in the boat, and many other people. I smiled loudly when I saw Nalo Hopkinson's blog. She recently posted about four times in one day, each time tallying her new word count, 200-500 words at a time. Take heart! There are other sporadic word producers out there. :hat:

Wandering Sensei
03-17-2005, 10:46 AM
I wrote today. But then, I write every day. It's my job. Today I wrote a short article about an employee commendation and worked on a leadership bio and something on formats for business correspondence.

Hey, I get paid to do this. (Neener, neener, neener. :) )

As for my own stuff, I DIDN'T write today. I took out my outline for my WIP and decided that it sucked and I have to rewrite it. A couple pieces, although I like them, I just don't think will work with the plot the way it's evolving.

It's progress of a sort, I guess.

Kudra
03-17-2005, 06:19 PM
I'm happy about my production today, too. 2,000 words and I'm still in the mood for more.

:thankyou:

Poppy
03-17-2005, 09:10 PM
My goal for today is to write 10 new greeting card ideas. I have some previously written material floating around, but it's time for some new ideas.

Someone ask me about it later tonight (if I don't come back and say). Thanks.

Poppy
03-18-2005, 02:15 AM
I did it! I wrote 10 new ideas, and then 'recycled' 12 others. I mixed and matched and sent 10 to one company and 12 to another today. I feel accomplished.

On to new goals...

TemlynWriting
03-18-2005, 02:24 AM
I did it! I wrote 10 new ideas, and then 'recycled' 12 others. I mixed and matched and sent 10 to one company and 12 to another today. I feel accomplished.

On to new goals...

Woo hoo Poppy! :)

mistri
03-20-2005, 02:09 AM
I just finished the first draft of my fantasy novel today. It's the first full-length thing I've finished, so I'm *very* happy. It's at 112,017 words right now, but I want to get it down to 100,000 in editing, which probably won't start until April/May.

(I wrote over 2000 words today, but over the period I wrote the book my daily word count averaged at 1167 words)

*bounces*

Ella
03-20-2005, 10:12 AM
Congratulations, mistri!:Thumbs:

jdkiggins
03-21-2005, 06:49 AM

-paprikapink

ROFL Yes, Anders, thank you for starting this thread. It's a great way to keep people motivated and checking in to let everyone know how their writing is coming along.

I'm guilty of being in the pad thread, paprika and others know that, but I do write quite a bit in between bouncing around in the Cooler. My daily goal has been to write at least 1,500 words. Most of the time I write more, but I am proud to say that I've never gone under.

Today I added 1,655 words to my WIP. Congrats! to everyone who keeps writing. :)

Joanne

Poppy
03-21-2005, 07:21 AM
Tomorrow, I want to send some greeting card ideas to 2 different companies. I plan on submitting some material previously rejected by other companies, but want to balance it out with some new material. So I am going to write 10 new ideas, 5 for Company #1, and 5 for Company #2.

Then if I have enough time and energy left after that, I'm going to work on my submissions to Company #3.

Will report here tomorrow when and if I complete this goal.

:)

jdkiggins
03-21-2005, 07:36 AM
Poppy, you've planned some great goals here. Good luck. :Thumbs: We need some new, fresh greeting cards to pick from. I'm an avid card sender and sometimes find it difficult to find a card with just the right words.

Joanne

rhymegirl
03-21-2005, 05:33 PM
Hi Joanne,

Tell us what kind of card you'd like to see. I write greeting cards, too, and am always interested in knowing what people are looking for. Do you prefer funny or serious? Is there a category you can't find out there?

jdkiggins
03-21-2005, 06:19 PM
I lost a very dear and close friend this past week and went to the funeral Saturday. When searching for an appropriate sympathy card for his wife and daughter, I couldn't find one that said just the right thing. Many have religious additions to very nice prose, but being Indian, my friend was more spiritual than religious. So nothing fit what I needed to say. I ended up writing a short note to both his wife and daughter.

So, I would say sympathy cards that say something other than "My heart goes out to you at this time of need." There needs to be more on the line of close friends; or I'm just a phone call away when you're feeling the need to talk, he/she was dear to me, he/she lives in our hearts--things like that.

When it comes to other type cards, I send both sincere tear jerkers, and humorous depending on the recipient.

A card has to bring tears to my eyes, or make me laugh a loud, right there in the shopping isle for everyone to see and hear, before I'll buy it. Then, when I say "yes, that's it," and put it in the cart, you'd be surprised how many people I catch out of the corner of my eye, going to that spot to see what drew my emotions.

Give me a bit, I'll think of a few examples, then post them. I'm not a greeting card writer, so anything that I may post later that you may take a liking to, feel free to use if you like.

Joanne

rhymegirl
03-21-2005, 08:18 PM
Thanks for telling me that, Joanne.

Sympathy is definitely a hard category to write for. One of my best friends just lost her father recently so over the weekend I was looking for a card to send to her. Many of the cards were religious in nature. That's perfectly normal, but the problem is some card recipients are not necessarily religious. I have that impression about my friend. So I tried to find a card that said something similar to what you said--I'm here for you if you need to talk, I'm thinking of you, I'm your friend and I care about you--sentiments like that. Some greeting card companies do sell cards like this, but they don't classify them as "sympathy" cards. I think they call them Comfort and Caring, Cheer cards, something along these lines.

As for spiritual, you're right, that's a different matter. A company recently asked me for something spiritual, and I was stumped. I thought, "Does that mean I should or shouldn't mention God? Do they want something kind of poetic, inspirational? Maybe focus on the world and how mysterious it is, how we are here for just a while, but the impact we have on others' will live on..."

Definitely a hard category. There are never any perfect words to say to someone who is grieving.

Poppy
03-21-2005, 10:17 PM
I've recently been on the receiving end of sympathy cards. Because of that, I know what I'd like to see more of and I've been trying to write that, but you're right, rhymegirl, it's a hard category and there are no perfect words. I even wrote a greeting card idea early last year that started out "No words can soothe your sorrow" (or something like that, I can't remember the exact words). It got rejected several times (where's my sympathy card for that?). LOL

We'll just have to keep trying. :)

Poppy
03-22-2005, 12:11 AM
I just submitted 10 ideas to Andrews McMeel and 12 to Gallant Greetings so I met my goal for today. Yaaayyyy! :)

I have to pick up my daughter from school soon, but after I get back, I'll work on my submission to Company #3.

TemlynWriting
03-22-2005, 12:41 AM
I just submitted 10 ideas to Andrews McMeel and 12 to Gallant Greetings so I met my goal for today. Yaaayyyy! :)

I have to pick up my daughter from school soon, but after I get back, I'll work on my submission to Company #3.

Can I get some of your writing creativity and energy? ;)

jdkiggins
03-22-2005, 01:36 AM
Hi Temlyn,
Good to see you back after the weekend. :)
Joanne

TemlynWriting
03-22-2005, 01:41 AM
Hi Temlyn,
Good to see you back after the weekend. :)
Joanne

Thanks Joanne! :)

It's always good to be back at AW. :)

alaskamatt17
03-22-2005, 12:15 PM
I passed the 20,000 word mark on my most recent novel today!

I always get a little excited after every 10,000 words, especially if I hit that mark within a week of the previous 10,000 word mark.

LRFarley
03-22-2005, 05:25 PM
I passed the 20,000 word mark on my most recent novel today!

I always get a little excited after every 10,000 words, especially if I hit that mark within a week of the previous 10,000 word mark.

Way to go, alaska. I remember hitting the 20K mark about four times before I finally had it together to keep going. Seems like after 30K, it went much faster, too. I was kind of paranoid after the third time of hitting 20K and realizing I didn't know what the heck was going on.

Continued good writing to you.

Bob/lrf

alaskamatt17
03-23-2005, 05:03 AM
Thanks for the well-wishing.

jdkiggins
03-23-2005, 05:30 AM
Congrats! Alaska.
Good luck.
Joanne

Cabria
03-23-2005, 06:31 AM
I wrote a piece to submit to "Chicken Soup for the Mother's of Preschoolers Soul" today (based on my five year old son). In addition, I'm also submitting two poems which I had written a while back (based on my daughters when they were younger). This is my first time submitting to Chicken Soup. Anybody else out there submitted to them? ( I know that Cindy "doxielover25" is published with them).

Debbie :Sun:

Poppy
03-23-2005, 06:07 PM
Good luck with all of that, Debbie. :) I haven't submitted to Chicken Soup before, well, not the book series anyway, but a bowl of Campbell's, yes. :)

I almost submitted something to a A Cup of Comfort for Grandparents yesterday, but my story wasn't long enough. I supposed I could try to make it longer, but I don't want to add unnecessary words and such just to meet a word count. I'll figure out a way I can use it "as is." Maybe I'll try Front Porch or something like that.

mommie4a
03-23-2005, 06:22 PM
Hi Debbie. I submitted to but have never heard from Chicken Soup. Just one story, about a year ago. In fact, since then, I won a national award for the piece (I didn't even know it was entered. The editor submitted it and didn't tell me until it won. Talk about your great editors!) But it seems like there are others in AW who've had a lot of success with Chicken Soup. One thing you can do in the boards is go to Search and search on "chicken soup." That will take you to all posts with those words in it and then you could get an idea of what folks have done with that publication. Good luck to you.

Poppy: I've got that Cup of Comfort for Grandparents desciption gathering dust on my desk. I've started a couple of things but haven't finished. I can tell you though, that I had a couple of email exchanges with Colleen Sell, the editor for Cup, and she said that the deadline will be extended to May 1 instead of April 1. If you want to double check, her email is wordsinger@aol.com. Here's the news from her in an email she sent me:

At any rate ... the submission deadline for Grandparents will be extended to May 1, 2005, and I can probably accept submissions as late as June 1, if that helps.

Good luck, Poppy.

Poppy
03-23-2005, 06:41 PM
Thanks for that info, mommie4a. April 1st was coming up 'too soon' for me, but May 1st gives me more time.

Thanks again.

mommie4a
03-23-2005, 06:47 PM
You are very welcome. I'm laughing because it's really NICE to share this info - I'd rarely have the opportunity without forums like this.

Poppy
03-23-2005, 07:49 PM
I know what you mean. I love the opportunities Absolute Write and the Internet have given me.

Cabria
03-23-2005, 09:15 PM
Poppy and Mommie4a: Thanks for the well wishes and helpful advice on "Chicken Soup"! (They should come out with "Nachos, Cheese and Coronas for the Soul" books - I'd definitely get published there! Ha!)

Debbie :)

Poppy
03-23-2005, 09:25 PM
(They should come out with "Nachos, Cheese and Coronas for the Soul" books - I'd definitely get published there! Ha!)
:ROFL: That's funny!

alaskamatt17
04-03-2005, 11:04 AM
I'm a little ways past 30,000 words on my most recent novel. I would consider this good, but my estimated word count now exceeds 180,000 words, so I'm feeling a bit daunted. Oh well, I'll just keep plugging along.

Cabria
04-10-2005, 07:54 PM
Well, I just wrote a piece to submit (after I do my revisions and countless proof reads) to "Chicken Soup for the Alzheimer's Soul". I surprised myself with how quickly I wrote the piece yet when I finished, I felt personal satisfaction mixed with emotional drain because the story is about my mother-in-law. This CS book is a working title for one of their "possibles" in future publication.

Debbie :)

Kudra
04-11-2005, 01:13 AM
There's a call for submissions for a Chicken Soup book on stress in the Paying Markets forum. Check that out. I'm sure we can all send some stuff there. :)

Optimus
04-12-2005, 02:52 PM
I don't necessarily think that people need to "find" the time to write.

You have to MAKE the time.

As I always tell friends when they're upset over boyfriend/girlfriend not "having time" to hang out with them or call them or whatever, "People always HAVE the time, they just don't always MAKE the time."

You make time for priorities. You find time for hobbies and distractions.

Is writing a priority or a hobby/distraction?

With that said, I wrote a couple hundred words for my thesis last night (yes, I know that doesn't count).

But, the night before I rewrote about five pages of a script of mine. Script progress isn't usually counted by words, but by pages. So, a five page rewrite in two hours was fine for me. Especially since I had class the next morning.

Write on, yo.

arainsb123
08-15-2005, 04:48 AM
I wrote 3.2K today! Wordwarring in the Forward Motion (http://www.fmwriters.com/) chatroom is really helpful.

arainsb123
08-28-2005, 05:27 PM
Aww, my poor little thread is dead. Hit 2K for today.

adelaidegirl
09-02-2005, 07:34 AM
Not dead, just snoozing. For the past three days my Inner Critic has kept me from adding to my book. Then today I went for a walk, got half an hour away from the house and suddenly my head filled with ideas for my next chapter. Rushed home and got 700 words down, feeling really good right now! adelaidegirl

tiny
09-03-2005, 12:13 AM
I found all the heavy equipment I needed and broke through the huge cement wall in my head. I wrote, page after page, for the first time in several days. My characters are no longer standing still waiting for me to use my fingers to push them around. WhaaaHoooo....

-chris

expatbrat
09-20-2005, 12:24 PM
Just found this thread - this looks just like the bragging post I need. I got 100 pages into "expat brat" and decided I don't like the "voice." Going through and changing the voice and a lot happier with how it reads. Making it more fun and "chicky," the goal is an entertaining plane or beach read. Did 1500 words thus far today - will work for another hour before going for a run.

Goal to clean up a chapter a day and then write a chapter every two days.

inanna
10-02-2005, 09:31 PM
I'll join in with this! I write mostly late in the evening, so I may have to post the following morning. But I did 1450 words last night. Anything over a thousand and I'm thrilled, but frankly, some days I'll take anything.

I have a goal to finish my WIP by October 31st, so I need to jam. I might have to try and push 2000 a day at some point soon.

CaptMorgan
10-03-2005, 08:36 AM
I wrote a little over 3,000 words this weekend. Yay!

inanna
10-03-2005, 08:47 PM
I wrote a little over 3,000 words this weekend. Yay!

That's great! I hope I can get on a roll like that again real soon. I need it. I only did 750 words last night, but now I've got a rare couple of hours where both my boys are in school. It's actually quiet, so I'm going to break out the laptop and see what I can get done.

Honey Nut Loop
10-04-2005, 03:50 AM
2k today on a brand new WIP. I'm on my way

Honey Nut Loop
10-05-2005, 12:50 AM
Another 2k

Honey Nut Loop
10-06-2005, 12:51 AM
3k today. Anyone else wanna join me in this thread?

inanna
10-06-2005, 05:18 AM
I' m here. Tired as all heck, but here. Let's see...I did 1850 the night before last, 870 yesterday, and 890-something today.

::shifting into whine mode:: But, damn I'm tired. Tired like I'm coming down with something. I'm going to keep plugging away, though. But I'm taking the night off and watching Lost.

There's my pizza...gotta go! :)

Honey Nut Loop
10-07-2005, 12:11 AM
Only 1k today. Bleh. Maybe i'll get some more done. Maybe...

September skies
10-10-2005, 08:47 AM
I was actually productive today. I finished the last three newspaper articles from a large assignment. Hooray. I thought I'd never finish. It was defintely more than I realized when I took it on. The last assignment was for a half-page ad thing and it was about 1k words. Now I can enjoy my night before tomorrow's deadline for another story which I have not even started. But I had to wait for tomorrow anyway since the people I needed to interview are not there on w/ends.

inanna
10-10-2005, 08:06 PM
Only did 540 words on Friday. I was feeling a little anxious, but I did 1100 last night and I'm hoping to do even more today. It helps that I know where I'm going again. *knocks on cheap, particleboard desk*

MarkButler
10-10-2005, 08:20 PM
I am obviously doing something wrong.. I'm 2nd drafting my non-fiction and it takes FOREVER.. I mean its taking me an hour per couple of paragraphs.. I write, and re-write and think about it, don't like it and rewrite, too many "had", got to get rid of the mixed tense, don't like the way it flows, used "usually" twice in the same paragraph..gotta rewrite that sentence, now the rest don't sound right, gotta rewrite them..... gawd it takes forever!

Mark

CaptMorgan
10-10-2005, 09:05 PM
I'm totally rewriting, and I think it's going faster! I did 7k this weekend!

inanna
10-11-2005, 04:27 AM
I am obviously doing something wrong.. I'm 2nd drafting my non-fiction and it takes FOREVER.. I mean its taking me an hour per couple of paragraphs.. I write, and re-write and think about it, don't like it and rewrite, too many "had", got to get rid of the mixed tense, don't like the way it flows, used "usually" twice in the same paragraph..gotta rewrite that sentence, now the rest don't sound right, gotta rewrite them..... gawd it takes forever!

Mark

You know, what you describe is a lot like how I write. In college I majored in English, and all my papers were first drafts. Every single one. When I started getting serious about writing fiction, I had to let that go some--but I've only been able to do it to a modest degree. I still write and edit simultaneously, like your example above. 1000 words typically takes about 2-2 1/2 hours.

And now I'm something like a gabillion words into this novel/trilogy project, and I've decided to conclude that this is just my writing style. Some people can zone-out and channel words onto the paper (not that I don't envy them), and others can't live with the idea of using the same word twice in the same paragraph. (yes, this bugged me :))

I think that if you like what you're coming up with at the end of the day, then that old 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' adage applies.