Peoples with linguistic knowledge!

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I'm trying to describe a certain sound. Some of my characters (sci fi setting) use an all-inclusive pronoun which I'm writing as "he." It's not pronounced like our male pronoun. It's a softer E, so it sounds more like "h-uh." Is that the upside-down E sound?

Anyway, how do I describe this vowel sound in linguistic terms? My MC would definitely know, and she's making a mental note to herself about it.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
That is indeed the upside down e sound, if I'm hearing it right. It's called a schwa.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
Hey, if my evenings of brain bashing to memorize the international phonetic alphabet accomplished anything, that's good :)

ETA: If you want to describe it rather than name it, and the link isn't useful, let me know what the character knows and I can try and figure out what she'd say.

Last edited:

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Haha. I know how it is. I took a linguistics course once and realized almost immediately it "wasn't for me." (Hence the knowing what I'm talking about, but not enough to know the terms I'm looking for...)

Of course then I had to sit there for the next eight weeks... ;)

PastMidnight

Oponionated
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jabrockmole.com
Ah, but a schwa is used in unstressed syllables. If your word is a one-syllable word, then you necessarily put stress on the vowel. The symbol you want here is a caret (^). To be precise (since you asked!), it's an open-mid back unrounded vowel.

Open-mid: This refers to the height of your tongue: basically open, mid, and closed. Closed vowels are ones where your tongue is high in your mouth (the vowel sound in "tea"), closing off the passage of air. Open is the opposite, where your tongue is low and mouth is open (the vowel sound in "spa"). So, open-mid is somewhere where the tongue is pretty low in the mouth, but not quite what we would call open.

Back: This refers to tongue positioning: front, central and back. The sound you are looking for is a back vowel, because your tongue is far back in your mouth when you make it. This is compared to a vowel sound like the one in "bed".

Unrounded: Some vowels are given a different sound by you rounding your lips (like the vowel sounds in "boot" and "coat"). Try saying the ^ sound that you are using and then slowly round your lips as you say it. The sound changes, so that you go from saying the word "cut" to the word "caught".

Maybe that was far more information than you needed, but hope it helps!

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
Really depends on whether the word itself is stressed, Past Midnight -- even monosyllabic words get the schwa in -- well, in most sentence contexts.

PastMidnight

Oponionated
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jabrockmole.com
Well, if you are transcribing a sentence, that's one thing. You're right, you could use a schwa for unstressed syllables in a whole sentence, even if as part of a monosyllabic word. Jo was asking about a single word in isolation, in which case I wouldn't use a schwa. When looking at the word in isolation, a person unfamiliar with the language has no way of knowing if it is usually stressed or unstressed in a sentence.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
Huh. So you'd use the caret for citation form?
I'd use a schwa, unless it was very clearly not the neutral vowel of that language, or unless i was doing a very close transcription.

...Actually, Jo, is this an alien character? If so, the vocal qualities might be so different this makes no sense, because vowel qualities have to do with formants, which have to do with the shape of the human mouth and nose and such.

PastMidnight

Oponionated
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jabrockmole.com
Yeah, I'd use a caret for an isolated, monosyllablic word, but I think you're right, I'd use a schwa for transcribing the same word within a context.

I must say, I've been enjoying the discussion, Shweta!

wombat

wombats galore
Registered
Reaction score
Website
animalsbehavingbadly.blogspot.com
...Actually, Jo, is this an alien character? If so, the vocal qualities might be so different this makes no sense, because vowel qualities have to do with formants, which have to do with the shape of the human mouth and nose and such.

Interesting point, but still, if it sounds like a schwa...

I'd use the schwa for stressed, unstressed AND aliens. I mean, life is tough enough already, you know?

But seriously: I never taught my students to transcribe using the caret. There are no other vowels where you use a different symbol for stressed and unstressed versions, so why do it for this one?

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
I don't know how it would be transcribed, but I am leaning toward the softer pronunciation most associated with the schwa.

Then again, I pronounce Missouri as Missourah, so what do I know. ;)

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
Yeah, I'd use a caret for an isolated, monosyllablic word, but I think you're right, I'd use a schwa for transcribing the same word within a context.

So then it might depend on whether the character heard the sound in a sentence context or in citation form. Which is kinda cool :)

I must say, I've been enjoying the discussion, Shweta!

Me too!

Interesting point, but still, if it sounds like a schwa...

My point was more that it might not.

The sound of a vowel has to do with the pitch of several 'formants' (standing wave harmonics) and a differently shaped apparatus for producing sounds would get you different formants patterning together.

Of course, Jo might want to gloss right over that, and I wouldn't blame her :D

But seriously: I never taught my students to transcribe using the caret. There are no other vowels where you use a different symbol for stressed and unstressed versions, so why do it for this one?

Depends on your context. If you're a beginning student, it's just about getting in the right ballpark to understand the idea behind transcription, right? But if you're a professional field linguist, you don't want to be making assumptions, because the simplifications you make in transcription turn into theory.

So if you're doing a loose-transcription for the purpose of sort of figuring out how the language goes, I'd guess that a schwa would work best. But if you're trying to record the language accurately, you want to write down whatever's closest to the sound you heard -- and that is true for all vowel sounds.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Wow, this really turned into quite the discussion! :)

To answer questions: My characters are human, not alien. This is an isolated society that has become excessively PC. This is reflected in their language, so they now avoid anything gender-specific.

Also, when I think about my genderless pronoun being used in conversation, it is most often unstressed, even though it is one syllable. So I think I'm gonna go with the schwa (plus it's just easier to describe).

Actually I am playing with the idea of not explaining it at all and just using a schwa itself for the word. I'm thinking this might be a good idea because even after explaining that it's pronounced different it's still difficult not to read it as "hee." If I use a schwa there will be an obvious visual difference no matter who is reading - if they know what the pronunciation is, fine, and if they don't, it still looks different.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Or you could go with "hu"

See, I considered that one, but I would read that "hoo." I also thought about "huh," which is how I would write out the pronunciation, but then that's what we use for a puzzled expression. I also thought about using the Chinese "Ta," since it's not gender specific, but my 'language' is clearly derived from a mix of English/French/Spanish and I have another group with Asian roots.

h-schwa is looking better and better. ;)

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
I think if the character commented on it, I could read "hu" as you want it to be read.

Do you know whether the funny character would count as offputting? I've been told they are. Not that I play with sound systems or anything!

There's also the possibility that the language is derived from english/french/spanish but borrowed a chinese word anyway. English does that allll the time.

wombat

wombats galore
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Depends on your context. If you're a beginning student, it's just about getting in the right ballpark to understand the idea behind transcription, right? But if you're a professional field linguist, you don't want to be making assumptions, because the simplifications you make in transcription turn into theory.

Sure. But if what you're hearing is just like schwa except stressed, why not transcribe it as schwa with a stress mark, like you'd do for any other vowel? I think this is just a historical accident, not a real issue of precision.

But that's not the important issue here, it's the spelling. Yeah, I think actually using schwa in normal text is offputting - and also wouldn't a publisher give you a hard time if you asked for it? I'd go with 'uh'.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
Sure. But if what you're hearing is just like schwa except stressed, why not transcribe it as schwa with a stress mark, like you'd do for any other vowel? I think this is just a historical accident, not a real issue of precision.

Um, seems I was unclear. What I was trying to say is that stress does change vowel quality, so if I was doing a tight transcription, I wouldn't just add a stress mark to any vowel.

But that is, as you said, not the important point :)

But that's not the important issue here, it's the spelling. Yeah, I think actually using schwa in normal text is offputting - and also wouldn't a publisher give you a hard time if you asked for it? I'd go with 'uh'.

But that would give you a word spelled "huh", which might be confusing to readers.

It's a toughie.

PastMidnight

Oponionated
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jabrockmole.com
Um, seems I was unclear. What I was trying to say is that stress does change vowel quality, so if I was doing a tight transcription, I wouldn't just add a stress mark to any vowel.

Agreed, especially since we have symbols already to represent stressed vowels that could be used here. Stress does indeed change vowel quality and, to me, a schwa (even with a stress mark) and a caret, are two different sounds. Although I question the idea of just adding a stress mark to an unstressed vowel.

Jo, I don't have a good suggestion here as to how to represent your word without using phonetic symbols (which I agree are probably not appropriate to use everywhere your pronoun appears in your novel, as it's probably a pretty common sound in your characters' language). Maybe something like h-uh or h'uh. Not a linguistic representation, but might be easier for your readers.

eodmatt

Registered
Reaction score
My what a great collection of cunning linguists we have here.
icon10.gif

WittyandorIronic

Registered
Reaction score
So...I was totally lost by the majority of this conversation. Assuming that your "off-putting" is not a linguistic reference and you are talking about reader feed back (seriously...that's how confused I was) then it all depends on the billing. If you label this sci-fi/fantasy then as a sci-fi/fantasy reader I am ok with alien sounding/looking words. I mean, a whole generation learned Klingon, lol. One or two advanced linguistic usages that add depth to the understanding of a race of people should be alright.

wombat

wombats galore
Registered
Reaction score
Website
If you label this sci-fi/fantasy then as a sci-fi/fantasy reader I am ok with alien sounding/looking words. I mean, a whole generation learned Klingon, lol. One or two advanced linguistic usages that add depth to the understanding of a race of people should be alright.

That's an interesting point, but it just confirms my feeling that it's better to figure out a way to spell it without using the schwa symbol. Because the unfamiliar symbol makes the vowel seem exotic and alien when in fact it's really common and normal, you know?

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I agree that linguistic symbols might be a little off-putting to readers, not to mention a bit of a pain for a publisher when they print it.

What I would do probably is use some variation of hu', huh', or h'uh like PastMidnight suggested, and briefly point out the u is pronounced like a schwa or carret and the ' is a glottal stop that often becomes unnoticeable in everyday language.

In my tribe's language, Zuni, the word for "I" is ho', with the ' being a glottal stop, and is pronounced in everyday language somewhat like your pronoun except with an "o" sound instead of "uh". The IPA symbol for glottal stop would be more like a ?, but in writing, I think most languages just stick with '. Not quite a perfect solution, but I think it would work okay--and you would probably be the first modern sci-fi/fantasy writer to us an apostrophe in your language for a real reason.