PDA

View Full Version : We all love writing, but...

Madison
11-15-2007, 04:28 AM
So we're all writers, but is there a type of writing you just can't stand? Cringe at the thought of? Procrastinate for hours to avoid?

For me, it's college essays. Argh! So horrible! My whole writing mind seems to jump out the window the moment I try to write one. I can't even form coherent sentences! Actually, that's not true. I just detest them. And I do everything to avoid them. Just look - I'm posting here instead of editing a particularly crappy one...

What's that revolting type of writing for you?

OverTheHills&FarAway
11-15-2007, 04:30 AM
Uh...

Personal letters. I am incapable of sounding sincere.

Therefore, relatives and distant friends tend to think I'm a jerk :o

Soccer Mom
11-15-2007, 04:32 AM
I hate the synopsis. I don't mind queries. But synopsis always suck.

JoNightshade
11-15-2007, 04:32 AM
1) Queries
2) Synopses
3) Unrhymed, unmetered poetry. :)

WendyNYC
11-15-2007, 04:44 AM
Thank you notes for gifts I hate.

Letters of Recommendation for people I'm "meh" about, or hardly know.

Namatu
11-15-2007, 04:56 AM
Sympathy cards. What the heck do you write in one of those that isn't trite? I'll take a (horrid) synopsis over a sympathy card.

JohnDavidPaxton
11-15-2007, 05:00 AM
Yes to all the options. Cringing, procrastinating and loathing.

But I do that with or without a pen in hand, so I might as well go with it.

sunna
11-15-2007, 05:03 AM

Right there with you. They make me want to gouge my eyes out with a gel pen.

And bios. All they do is underscore the fact that I've never been published outside of college magazines. Plus they always make me sound even less interesting than I am, somehow.

Polite letters informing people they didn't get the job, polite correspondence to people I have to be nice to even though they're asshats. Polite, polite, polite. Yick.

Anything where I'm required to apologize.

kristie911
11-15-2007, 05:05 AM
Poetry. I despise it unless it reads like Dr. Seuss.

I've tried but I can't read it and have no desire to write it. It does nothing for me.

Storyteller5
11-15-2007, 05:09 AM
No poetry for me either. I've written it but I don't enjoy it and there's no pleasure in writing it.

nessam
11-15-2007, 05:19 AM
Outlines, sympathy cards, thank you cards, Christmas cards to people I don't know

Oddsocks
11-15-2007, 05:21 AM
I love writing essays! Well, that depends on the subject, but mostly I love writing essays.

Poetry doesn't work for me - can't write it, can't read it.

Also, 'directed' creative writing under pressure. I started a creative writing subject, and dropped it after one class. Sitting in a room for two hours, being told told to write something about some specific theme, and knowing that you're going to have to share with other class members after you're done? No.

KTC
11-15-2007, 05:41 AM
So we're all writers, but is there a type of writing you just can't stand? Cringe at the thought of? Procrastinate for hours to avoid?

For me, it's college essays. Argh! So horrible! My whole writing mind seems to jump out the window the moment I try to write one. I can't even form coherent sentences! Actually, that's not true. I just detest them. And I do everything to avoid them. Just look - I'm posting here instead of editing a particularly crappy one...

Sometimes I will take on article requests for subjects I have no interest in. Research for these ariticles is close to having forks jabbed into my eyeballs. Actually making myself sit down to do the research...and later the writing...is like taking knifes to my eyeballs. I do it all the time. "Sure...I can do an article on BLAH BLAH." Then think, "Why the hell did I say yes to that?" I hate myself for doing it. So...for me it's just topic. I hate writing about stuff I have no interest in.

KTC
11-15-2007, 05:51 AM
Poetry. I despise it unless it reads like Dr. Seuss.

Oh shut up, Kristy.

or should I say...

Kristy the twisty,
head straight out of town,
sing with your tuba,
sing with your clown,
whatever you do
don't jump to get down.
for jumping, you'll see,
will bring you but up.
Up, up, you say...what to do with up?
You shut it, you see,
you ignorant flea,
you shut it
you shut it, and shut it up now.
and things, twisty Kristy,
will begin to take form,
they'll start to happen,
just wait and see.
It'll be me doing the jumping
all over your clown,
and all over town,
telling you, 'shut it',
'shut it. shut it and see.'
Oh the shutting you'll do.

scarletpeaches
11-15-2007, 05:53 AM
As Jo said - unrhymed, unmetered poetry.

It's called PROSE, people. PROSE.

If it doesn't rhyme, you can suck my girlballs.

Blickensderfer
11-15-2007, 05:53 AM
Technical documentation. When I went freelance, my most recent corporate experience was high tech, so occasionally software firms I was pitching for marketing work asked me to do doc and being hungry, I'd do it. GACK. Having to make sure I referred to the same action in the same way every time, and half the time the application was still being developed so I was making up the sequence anyway - hated it, hated it, hated it.

DeadlyAccurate
11-15-2007, 06:52 AM
...polite correspondence to people I have to be nice to even though they're asshats. Polite, polite, polite. Yick.

I love these. I turn politeness into a freakin' art form, all so I can make them look like the grade A asshole they are. If you catch me in the right mood, I'll be so polite you'd think you were just bitch-slapped by Emily Post.

Shady Lane
11-15-2007, 06:55 AM
For some reason, I can write Humanities essays for hours, but when I have to write a 1-page lab report or a short explanation of a graph for statistics, I can't get the damn words out. Writing is not meant to mix with numbers, man.

ACEnders
11-15-2007, 08:25 AM
Thank you cards. Definitely. How many ways can you say "thank you for the toaster." ?

HourglassMemory
11-15-2007, 08:31 AM
Whenever I have to write about something that I don't like, I get stuck, but that's probably because I don't know well enough about the stuff they ask me to write about to write it well enough.
If I like the subject I write with ease.
Even when I have to write something for school I try to make it entertaining and not just vomiting facts with verbs and ajectives in the middle of them.

bunnygirl
11-15-2007, 09:55 AM
Poetry. Ugh. Can't stand writing it and can barely tolerate reading most of it, although I do have a few fave poets whose stuff I'll never turn down an opportunity to read.

JoNightshade
11-15-2007, 10:11 AM
I love these. I turn politeness into a freakin' art form, all so I can make them look like the grade A asshole they are. If you catch me in the right mood, I'll be so polite you'd think you were just bitch-slapped by Emily Post.

I am SO with you, Deadly. I love it when I get some jerk writing me a nasty letter at work. I take a really awful pleasure in constructing the politest, sweetest possible reply. I love it even more when they're ranting about something that is actually their own fault. Oh, delicious, delicious pleasure...

And you all thought I was nice.

maestrowork
11-15-2007, 11:56 AM
Business letters.

Technical white papers, requirements and other business/technical documents. Talk about dry.

Synopsis: it is not easy to summarize your 100,000-word novel in 1000 words.

"I'm breaking up with you" letters or e-mail.

Inky
11-15-2007, 12:23 PM
Short stories.
It's the equivalent of an ant eater with no tongue; no matter how much you poke around and try, it just ain't gonna work!

JLCwrites
11-15-2007, 12:39 PM
I am fine with writing anything. (Doesn't mean that I am good at it though)
I have difficulty talking on the phone. Hate it.

Inky
11-15-2007, 12:55 PM
I am fine with writing anything. (Doesn't mean that I am good at it though)
I have difficulty talking on the phone. Hate it.
I'm just the opposite. Anyway of communicating that doesn't consist of face-to-face, I'm there.
Face-to-face, I'm shy.

seun
11-15-2007, 02:03 PM
Synopsis and cover letters can feck off. If only because I can rarely think of a way to not sound like every other unpublished writer in the world.

Wraith
11-15-2007, 02:45 PM
Any formal stuff that has stupid requirements I can never quite remember - applications, CVs, essays of given structure and a lot more - it's just not me who's writing them. They take me where I want to go, but why not just say, Hello sir, thought your company's kinda cool. Can I work there, pretty please? :tongue

I also always had a problem with writing narrative stuff on the spot/on a specific theme. In school whenever I was asked to think up a short story my brain would freeze and I'd turn in a description or philosophical dialogue/essay very thinly disguised. :D Fortunately I got away with that and it didn't happen often, but I was practically incapable of coming up with a coherent plot on request. (and yet, I always wanted to write novels. go figure. :Shrug:)

Stew21
11-15-2007, 03:26 PM
query letter. Why should I be afraid of three little paragraphs describing a story I know so well?

*maybe that's because the stupid 3 paragraphs have to be good enough to get them to read the story, or it will never be read, never be represented by an agent, never get sold.

arodriguez
11-15-2007, 03:28 PM

thats hot.

Shadow_Ferret
11-15-2007, 04:46 PM
Queries
Synopsisesisesies
Poetry
Sympathy

Death Bean
11-15-2007, 04:52 PM
Love stories. I just cannot write anything in which any two characters like each other! If one's a complete jerk and the other's devoted, that's fine, it may even have a happy ending, but ask me to wheel out a tragic story of True Love Against All Odds... I'd rather do a story about anything else. Rubber chickens, toothbrushes, printer ink. Anything.

swvaughn
11-15-2007, 06:24 PM
Forum posts.

I must anguish for minutes over what to write in them, and then I can never come up with anything clever to say...

Pamster
11-15-2007, 06:32 PM
1) Queries
2) Synopses
3) Unrhymed, unmetered poetry. :)

Me too, in that order even...

Thank you notes for gifts I hate.

Letters of Recommendation for people I'm "meh" about, or hardly know.

Both of these are also distasteful to have to write, it's only good when you're done and think to yourself, I need to wash my hands....when you really wish you could like wash out your brain of the experience of doing...Quite a different dislike then the dislike of Queries, Snyopses and Prose.

Sympathy cards. What the heck do you write in one of those that isn't trite? I'll take a (horrid) synopsis over a sympathy card.

This too is hard to write but not in a bad way, it's always sad to see friends living with losses. :(

maestrowork
11-15-2007, 08:37 PM
Forum posts.

I must would anguish for minutes over what to write in them, and then I can nevercouldn't come up with anything clever to say...

;)

Salem
11-15-2007, 08:46 PM
I'm with all of you who said the synopsis and query. I loooooathe them!

swvaughn
11-15-2007, 08:49 PM
;)

...and then some editor comes along and reams me out, and I have to destroy my precious words... :D

Doodlebug
11-15-2007, 08:55 PM
Ransom notes. Gads, those things are a pain to write! "Drop the unmarked bills in the Dumpster by the pizzeria, or you'll never see the kid alive again. Blah, blah, blah..."

If you don't write them just right, you never see a dime of the money, know what I mean? It's like no one can read and follow directions any more.

Uh, this is an anonymous forum, right??

TrickyFiction
11-15-2007, 08:57 PM
Uh...

Personal letters. I am incapable of sounding sincere.

Therefore, relatives and distant friends tend to think I'm a jerk :o

I am SO glad I'm not the only one.

qdsb
11-15-2007, 09:05 PM
Ah, what a thread! Where do I begin?!

maestro---Please tell me you've never broken up with someone via E-MAIL?!

Jo, kristi, scarlet---Adrienne Rich is rolling over in her grave...and she's NOT DEAD! All poetry must rhyme? Oy. (Not criticizing your preferences...just...I don't comprehend...honest.)

Bhahaha at doodlebug!!

As for my writing avoidance...

1) poetry--I can appreciate when others do it well, but I can't. And my efforts have been embarassing.

2) sympathy cards--Oh, I write them...but I have the same problem others have mentioned...everything seems trite and ultimately meaningless.

Azure Skye
11-15-2007, 09:10 PM
Academic writing. In college, I loved to do the research, but I hated putting it all together into a paper. AAAGGGGHHHHH!!!

Red-Green
11-15-2007, 09:18 PM
Okay, sure, condolence letters and synopses are horrible, but what I most hate to write are cheesy articles for non-profit organization newsletters. Barf. I spent ten years doing that and every time, I just had a bad taste in my mouth.

PhoenixSaga
11-15-2007, 09:39 PM

I just love this!

MRevelle83
11-15-2007, 11:50 PM
Short stories.
It's the equivalent of an ant eater with no tongue; no matter how much you poke around and try, it just ain't gonna work!

Actually I've written a lot of short stories that I felt do work. And most of Stephen King's best ones were short (like Suffer the Little Children- best example of short story being as good as a full length novel I can think of!).

For me, its non-fiction. Any. I just love writing stories I create on my own. This includes poetry, though it usually just turns into epics, none of that "my favorite color is red" garbage from junior high English classes.

Southern_girl29
11-15-2007, 11:55 PM
I work for a newspaper as editor of the Lifestyles section. I hate it when I have to cover another beat and have to do city government meeting stories. The meetings are bad enough to go to, but then having to write about them. Ugh. I also hate having to write obits.

I can't write poetry to save my life. I love reading it, though. I wish I could write poetry, but I always agonize over it so much that it's just painful for me to try and write it. Anyone who can write good poetry is so talented, IMO.

jennifer75
11-15-2007, 11:56 PM

DIALOGUE!!!

Voyager
11-16-2007, 12:01 AM

:roll: Now who's going to clean my monitor? :Wha:

I hate writing fight scenes. For some reason, all my ancient characters want to say stuff like, "I'll bust a cap off in your ass."

OctoberRain
11-16-2007, 01:24 AM
Birthday cards. I can never think of anything to say beyond "Happy Birthday!"

Boring!

swvaughn
11-16-2007, 01:52 AM
Birthday cards. I can never think of anything to say beyond "Happy Birthday!"

Boring!

Ooh! I just wrote a birthday card for my seester:

It's your birthday, yippee and hooray!
It's a special and very fine day
When you can't escape
All the singing and cake
And you'd rather drive to Bombay

Than listen to one more rendition of "You
look like a monkey, and smell like one too!"
But be of good cheer
It's just once a year
And it's only because we love you!

Feel free to use my jolly birthday limerick the next time you're stuck on "Happy Birthday" :D

Stormhawk
11-16-2007, 02:06 AM
Summaries.

I never feel like I do them right, either I put in too much information, or leave out nuances.

Nateskate
11-16-2007, 02:14 AM

I agree. The synopsis is the bane of writing, especially when someone is judging your body of works on that basis.

I also don't mind queries.

Simple Living
11-16-2007, 02:23 AM
I hate onions with a passion that burns deep within my soul and has the red hot intensity of 2,000 burning suns. Above all else, I hate onions. Everyone who knows me knows this and they remember it. I tried to like them. I really did. But, they're phantasmagorically evil.

Other things that I either loathe, or, they just burn my buttons, are...

1. Political Correctness
2. Injustice
3. Mean and rude people
4. Vulgar language used openly without regard for others in hearing distance, especially around the elderly and children.
5. Cell Phones, especially when used in public. Especially if someone answers their cell phone when you're out with them.
6. Hollywood, media and advertising.
7. E-mail

Nothing that causes delays or procrastination, though. :)

Varthikes
11-16-2007, 02:59 AM
Poetry mainly. And, critical thinking essays.

Synopsis I'll tolerate, but I'd rather not.

xDemode
11-16-2007, 03:11 AM
A haiku must be
the most annoying type of
writing that I read

Doodlebug
11-16-2007, 04:27 AM
I hate onions with a passion that burns deep within my soul and has the red hot intensity of 2,000 burning suns. Above all else, I hate onions. Everyone who knows me knows this and they remember it. I tried to like them. I really did. But, they're phantasmagorically evil.

Other things that I either loathe, or, they just burn my buttons, are...

1. Political Correctness
2. Injustice
3. Mean and rude people
4. Vulgar language used openly without regard for others in hearing distance, especially around the elderly and children.
5. Cell Phones, especially when used in public. Especially if someone answers their cell phone when you're out with them.
6. Hollywood, media and advertising.
7. E-mail

Nothing that causes delays or procrastination, though. :)

Don't feel like you have hold back your emotions, Simple. Just come out and tell us all how you really feel. :D

otterman
11-16-2007, 04:59 AM
A note telling my wife I'll be out late with the boys. Truly frightening.

Simple Living
11-16-2007, 05:41 AM
Don't feel like you have hold back your emotions, Simple. Just come out and tell us all how you really feel. :D

LOL I'm in a mood today, I guess. :)

amber_grosjean
11-17-2007, 02:14 AM
For me its the querry letters and the synopsis. If I am talking to a friend about my book, I can tell them everything about the book and be excited about it, passionate about it even. But when it comes down to writing it professionally, I totally suck. I never know what the best part of the story to use and how to word it properly. And then there's my spelling which I'm not great at I admit.

Amber

jennlindsey
11-17-2007, 02:23 AM
Synopses and outlines. Especially when dealing with film industry folks. I can understand a synopsis of a 400-page novel, but several pages of synopsis for a 120-page screenplay which contains, most likely, less words than the summary, because they're too busy to read even a few pages of the actual manuscript? Ugh.

I think I could handle them better if I tended to be a plot-driven, outline-beforehand type of writer. I tend to have a very messy, organic, write-in-fragments-then-get-them-to-coalesce process, which means that, in my Documents folder, I currently have about 30 inchoate scenes, along with one file entitled (I kid you not) BIG DUMB HOLLYWOOD SYNOPSIS.

(I, of course, retitle it when I send it out.)

Broadswordbabe
11-17-2007, 03:33 AM
If you catch me in the right mood, I'll be so polite you'd think you were just bitch-slapped by Emily Post.

:D Love that image. Worryingly, I also know people who would probably pay quite a lot for the experience.

I hate bios. I hate trying to work out whether any of the stuff I put in my bio for a comic fantasy magazine can still be used for a Serious Poetry event, and trying to work out whether the sheer fact I am doing this means I am Renaissance Woman or just a bleedin' dilletante who can't make up her mind what form of writing she wants to do, and I hate looking at them and thinking, "this paragraph basically says I am a sad freak with No Life."

Oh, and CVs. Writing CVs and job applications for jobs I don't actually want, and am only applying for because I need the damn money, particularly.

If only one was allowed to lie on CVs. I so prefer fantasy.

arodriguez
11-17-2007, 03:37 AM
i hate writing in instant message chat.

donroc
11-17-2007, 03:41 AM
Synopsis and outlines for novels written; loglines; precís and term papers+footnotes for college Profs on topics totally uninteresting to me.

www.donaldmichaelplatt

Sean D. Schaffer
11-17-2007, 04:26 AM

For me, the worst kind of writing is free-form poetry. That's where you have no rhyme and no rhythm. I have trouble understanding how that qualifies as poetry, since my ideas of verse have always had to do with rhyme and rhythm.

Also, though this does not have to do with any particular kind of writing, I have a beef about books where other authors sing praises of the author's previous works. I picked one up like that a couple days ago, and read the praises. This pumped me up, making me think I was going to get some good writing as well as a good story. The story was very vivid and well-thought-out, but the writing just did not flow like I thought a big-name author's work should. And the truth is, I've had a fear for years, of any book that has praises by other authors inside the jacket cover. It's just a thing with me that raises a red flag.

:Shrug:

Chasing the Horizon
11-17-2007, 05:52 AM
Nonliterary short stories. This isn't so much a matter of hating writing them as being completely unable to write them. Every genre short I've ever tried has turned out to be the first chapter of a novel--usually a very bad novel.

Structured writing of any kind (including rhyming poetry).

Non-fictitious diary entries. If there's any writing I truly hate, this is it. I write to escape my stupid life, not relive every boring moment. I wouldn't keep a journal if you paid me. (Now fictitious diary entries by my characters are a whole different thing. Those I love)

I haven't really written any nonfiction, so there might be forms of that I'd hate if I tried.

leenakincaid
11-29-2007, 02:28 PM
Queries, resumes, college essays, etc.

illiterwrite
11-29-2007, 04:12 PM
I write medical papers/book chapters on occasion. Pays well, but it's pure torture for me. I put it off until a few days before deadline and then write like mad. Hate it.

Andre_Laurent
11-29-2007, 04:45 PM
Ditto....ditto....ditto.

Hate them with a passion!