PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

Skippy
11-14-2007, 11:25 PM
Hi! My name is Skippy and I am a comma splicer. Yes, I know it is a burden that I must carry.

Who invented grammar. I thought I loved grammar but then I learned I was one of the dreaded comma splicers.

*sigh*
Now I constantly question my comma's.

OK! *takes deep breath* pity party is done. *holds hand up* I swear I will endeavor to eradicate comma splicing from my writing.

:D
Skippy

Shadow_Ferret
11-14-2007, 11:34 PM
Not sure I understand what a comma splicer is, but I've read in some grammar books where a comma serves as a breather, a place where you'd normally take a breath when speaking.

That's how I use them.

truelyana
11-14-2007, 11:36 PM
Hi and Welcome to AW Skippy,

Enjoy your stay, and I'm with Shadow on this one.

What's your comma splicer definition?

Jaycinth
11-14-2007, 11:39 PM
Hi Skippy!

Watch out for the butter bubbled balloon belchers!

Tequila repels them.

That's why this place smells like a Margarita!!!!

Foinah
11-15-2007, 12:11 AM
What, do, you, mean? Comma splicing and breathing? If, you, have, asthma, then, you've got, a, problem...heh.

SpookyWriter
11-15-2007, 12:18 AM
Hi! My name is Skippy and I am a comma splicer. Yes, I know it is a burden that I must carry.

Who invented grammar. I thought I loved grammar but then I learned I was one of the dreaded comma splicers.

*sigh*

OK! *takes deep breath* pity party is done. *holds hand up* I swear I will endeavor to eradicate comma splicing from my writing.

:D
SkippyWelcome Skippy. But I must say, I didn't see a comma along the way, and so I must say this comma splicing can't be such a problem if you can't splice an example with a proper introduction, just to say.

rhymegirl
11-15-2007, 12:24 AM
Is your last name Peanut Butter?

Skippy
11-15-2007, 12:30 AM
okies apparently a comma splicer is (as explained to me in a grammar workshop the other day) is some who places a comma where one thinks a pause goes (the pause being all in my own mind of course)

I tend to overuse commas especially when describing something such as a short-sleeved green shirt. I would have wrote it this "short-sleeved, green shirt"

now if all of that is wrong then YAY I am not a comma splicer!!

I could be wrong since once or twice (:D) that has been the case.

uh nope last name isn't peanut butter not that people haven't called me that before though :D

CaroGirl
11-15-2007, 12:31 AM
Skippy, it's also time to start questioning your apostrophes.

Welcome to AW from a fellow Canadian!

SpookyWriter
11-15-2007, 12:33 AM
Skippy, it's also time to start questioning your apostrophes.:roll: And capitalization.

Shadow_Ferret
11-15-2007, 12:46 AM
okies apparently a comma splicer is (as explained to me in a grammar workshop the other day) is some who places a comma where one thinks a pause goes (the pause being all in my own mind of course)

OK, you made me look it up. A comma splice is where you use a comma to "splice" two independent clauses together.

It is similar to a run-on sentence except you've used a comma to separate the two clauses.

Such as:
RUN-ON: The prosecution could not present reliable witnesses the case was dismissed.
COMMA SPLICE: The prosecution could not present reliable witnesses, the case was dismissed.

In these two examples, you would be better served to break up the sentence into two separate sentences or to "splice" them with a semi-colon.

The prosecution could not present reliable witnesses. The case was dismissed.

Placing a comma where you think a pause would go is not a comma splice unless it just happens that where you've placed it is a natural break and could be better served by said period or semi-colon.

Understand?

cray
11-15-2007, 12:48 AM
i'm not sure i understand, i'll need to do some research.

SpookyWriter
11-15-2007, 12:55 AM
i'm not sure i understand, i'll need to do some research.:D Get back to us, understanding the problem is important to writing.

Devil Ledbetter
11-15-2007, 02:30 AM
I question my commas, but they refuse to cough up any answers!

Welcome to AW.

SpookyWriter
11-15-2007, 02:35 AM
I question my commas, but they refuse to cough up any answers!

Welcome to AW.Maybe you need a period instead?

drachin8
11-15-2007, 02:48 AM
You can love your commas, Skippykins; just don't, you know, love your commas...

:)

-Michelle

CaroGirl
11-15-2007, 02:53 AM
Maybe you need a period instead?
I've had a period. It's nothing to write home about.