PublishAmerica

Mark A

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Folks,
What can you tell me about PublishAmerica? Good news? Bad news? Somewhere-in-between news?

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
We have an entire sub-forum dedicated to this scam publisher.
stay far away from PA.

for more information visit our PA forum.

Glenda

Registered
Reaction score
My personal experience with PA; bad, very bad. If you would like a list, let me know and I will give you one.

BarbJ

Registered
Reaction score
Loads of threads on Publish America and why it's a very bad idea, but, in brief: PA charges, although not up front. They often turn out a poor product in terms of typos and binding, and if you edit yourself (or pay), they'll turn out typos anyway. You most likely won't recoup your losses, and if you do it will be very little. They are not considered a publishing credit by other publishers or agents. You will lose your book for 7 years for nothing. You'll be supporting a scam. If you protest any of these things on their writers' boards, your message will be deleted and/or you'll be sent an extrememely arrogant and deceitful "tone letter" and/or you'll be banned but they'll still have your book.

Very bad idea. BTW, welcome.

Afinerosesheis

The One and Only Romantiac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I am a PA author. It was not all so bad in my experience BUT I could've had a lot better. I would not submit to them again.

You do the editing yourself, cover prices are outrageous, no marketing or bookstore placement unless you beg and still most times that does not help.

Nope, be patient in your queries and find somewhere else. If your writing is good enough, you deserve better.

Good luck! :)

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, it was originally posted in the main B&BC forum.

JimmyD1318

THE POPCORN MONSTER!
Registered
Reaction score
Good catch.

Indeed! But...anyway...welcome to AW! When it comes to PA, stay the heck away from them! Now...did someone mention POPCORN? Have a bag on me!:popcorn: Mmmm...good stuff! MUNCH! MUNCH! MUNCH!

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Folks,
What can you tell me about PublishAmerica? Good news? Bad news? Somewhere-in-between news?

Read the Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (it's long, very long) and then take a look at the New Neverending PublishAmerica Thread. Both are sometimes called the NEPAT.

I published my first book with PA. They portrayed themselves as a 'Traditional Publisher', which I took to be something like Tor or Baen. In other words, I expected big-publishing-house treatment both for my book and myself. I got much less than I figured I would.

Long story short: I learned a hard lesson over the last few years, and I will advise you quite emphatically, stay away from PublishAmerica. Your hard work is worth a lot more than PA can give it ... in part because of how much time and effort you spent making it what it is.