Not open for further replies.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I'm torn about my participation on MySpace, primarily because I'm not a 'real' writer. I am an across-the-board rejected one.

But still I play at being legitimate and ran across this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/02/b...cbd90ca82&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss

and was most interested in the notion of fostering more access between writer and reader.

But for authors and readers, MySpace offers something entirely new: a forum where we can finally meet and get to know one another — or even collaborate in literary games. For instance, soon after the novelist Matt Haig put up a MySpace profile to promote his book “The Dead Fathers Club,” he received a message that would make any writer’s heart thump. Someone wanted to “friend” him, and that someone was none other than ... William Shakespeare. Shakespeare “sent a message telling me how much he enjoyed my work,” Haig explained to me (via MySpace mail). “I returned the compliment and told him ‘King Lear’ was pretty good, too, and that I’m sure he has a solid career ahead of him.”
Haig said that readers are not always so gentle. A few have told him what they want changed in his novels or what he should write next. “In the old days, the author-reader relationship was the equivalent of someone who couldn’t listen, talking to someone who couldn’t speak,” Haig said. “But MySpace ... places the writer and reader on an equal footing within the same network.”

The whole article is quite interesting.

ETA - The question I got out of it was this: if you could interact with random people who'd read your work, would you?

Last edited:

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
Sadly, I'm on MySpace, but haven't really been able to make it work as a networking tool.

Yes, it probably has something to do with not having much time to invest in it and not knowing many people. But still. The only people on there are a few random strangers that I found and asked to join, a couple of my actual friends, some AWers, and me. (I have a personal MySpace, and I friended myself. Talk about boredom. :) )

I am thinking of starting a new MySpace for my WIP's main character. He has much broader appeal than I do! But I won't do that 'till I'm further along in the story.

So for now, I'm not sure how MySpace is workin' for me, though it seems, in theory, to be a good idea.

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
Not sure how long I've been on MySpace (about a year or so). However, I haven't found anything to leverage from it. I wouldn't send a publisher to MySpace and I'm not sure one would go there upon getting a query letter. Since I have my own Web site, I think the MySpace can be a distraction from staying on message.

For that reason, the glut of advertising I cannot control and the number of times I've been hacked, I'm probably going to kill my MySpace profile Saturday. Facebook, too. While I agree with the notion that more press is better, there is also the idea that timing is everything. The timing's not right to have a MySpace page. I can always come back to it. Finally, it's just another "thing" that needs attention. My 2-year-old deserves that attention. MySpace doesnt. And I'm worn from reading lists about people's No. 8 or revealing they eat Count Chocula in the morning.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
It's a lack of time thing--and the fear of hacking--that have kept me from MySpace as well. I'm saving myself for when I have to get my own site.

But just for a moment, there, I was tempted. Because if Shakespeare can access MySpace from the Great Beyond, what if HP Lovecraft could too? Oooh...

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Lol! Yeah, I think unless you have something to peddle (and I know you do at least, Jason) it can be more of a time vortex than anything else.

For authors with books out there, though, I can see where interacting with the reader base could be very much an education and an enthralling (which includes terrifying) way to pass a bit of time.

jenngreenleaf

Here to network and learn.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenngreeenleaf.com
I use MySpace mostly as my webpage, until I get a domain of my own. I try to keep it updated with links to writing I've done and keep an interesting blog. I've found it to be a good tool for getting to know other writers and authors I wouldn't have had contact with, otherwise. Plus, it's allowed me to keep in touch with my sister and reconnect with four or five high school friends I couldn't find anywhere else. :)

There *is* a lot of junk on there, though, so it's hard to figure out if this was a good move or not.

jst5150

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
For authors with books out there, though, I can see where interacting with the reader base could be very much an education and an enthralling (which includes terrifying) way to pass a bit of time.
But what is the quality of that interaction, Jamie? I'd offer it's as shallow as the Royal Famiy's gene pool. It has been my experience that yes, the publishers and agents are on MySpace. Probably for the same reasons you and I are there -- because we could. However, I'd offer none of those use MySpace as a place for a town meeting or to carry on a conversation.

I've messaged some celebs and people other than friends using MySpace. I either receive no response or 'this message is not accepting messages.' So, the interaction is one way. You get the promotions and ads and PR. You attempt to push the other way and get rebuffed. So, I'd offer that, in most cases, MySpace becomes nothing more than another TV channel.

Except for friends and relatives, intreaction is limited if any of all.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I wouldn't send a publisher to MySpace and I'm not sure one would go there upon getting a query letter.
Oh, and I definitely second that. I know there are agents and publishers already there. Our own Nathan Bransford networks there, and he's a bigshot. But kinda like Vegas, what happens on MySpace stays on MySpace. I'd be hard-pressed to think it would impress anyone outside its little web.

But if you could interact with random people who'd read your work, would you?

I think I may paste that into the OP, because I think it's an interesting question.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
But what is the quality of that interaction, Jamie?

Well, my interactions have ranged from ridiculous to riveting, but I was mostly going on the guy from the article's experience.

I was wondering if any of us had connected with readers or would attempt to once their magnum opus had been launched?

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
To answer my own question, I would. If a book of mine ever grew legs, I'd love to hear from people I'd never meet who had something to say about my story.

I think.

God knows, one might want to be careful what one wishes for...

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Everything takes time. I'm sure MySpace is a good venue to reach out, network, and promote. But I don't really have the time to nurture that. Honestly, it still baffles me. I feel like I have a better time "reaching out" here on a forum like AW.

p.s. yes, I love it when I hear from a reader, whether they have something good or bad to say about it. At least I know someone is reading it darn thing. :D So, if you've read my book, send me a note. I really appreciate that. Don't forget to "friend" me if you have a MySpace page.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Everything takes time. I'm sure MySpace is a good venue to reach out, network, and promote. But I don't really have the time to nurture that. Honestly, it still baffles me. I feel like I have a better time "reaching out" here on a forum like AW.
Yeah, but readers don't come to AW, writers do.

jst5150

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
As would I. Again, the veracity of that interaction becomes an issue. From the casual "good book" person to the person outside your home stalking you with nightvision goggles, a spiral notebook, an ink pen and a bucket of KY jelly. So, there's probably have to be some moderation. Like anything else, that interaction is part and parcel to the overall plan, I'd think.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Yeah, but readers don't come to AW, writers do.

But how do readers find you on MySpace? Do you need to advertise it? Promote it somehow?

BTW, I'm maestrowork on MySpace. So come on and friend me and leave me a comment about my book, okay? :)

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
But how do readers find you on MySpace? Do you need to advertise it? Promote it somehow?

BTW, I'm maestrowork on MySpace. So come on and friend me and leave me a comment about my book, okay? :)
Well, from the article, it sounds like some authors have some pretty creative ideas, like searching for MySpace members with the same names as their characters and sending them messages and friend requests.

I don't really know how it's done, 'cause I haven't anything to sell.

I've been gratified by the comments that my little blog essays and tidbits have generated. When it's not naked people or dingbats wanting to sell me knockoff handbags, the networking aspect has put me in touch with some people who like to read what I've written. It doesn't keep me in vittles, but it can brighten a crappy day.

I now know that I have looked up a few authors I've enjoyed and left a message or held a brief correspondence over their writing as the topic. It's kinda cool.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Well if they like your book they might search for your name (I think most everyone in a certain age bracket assumes everyone is on Myspace) or just for "author" or something. When I'm bored I do searches for "children's books" or even my title, and then the people who show up I ask to be my friend. I've searched for "bookstore" and "library" as well. What I really need is to get one of those mass mailing tool thingys, but I think they cost money. Because no one really reads "bulletins".

It is also different for me because my audience is very tech savvy and are the exact people who use Myspace. Nor am I using Myspace to land and agent/publisher (though talk to badducky about that one!).

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
1 I'm torn about my participation on MySpace, primarily because I'm not a 'real' writer. I am an across-the-board rejected one.

ETA - 2 The question I got out of it was this: if you could interact with random people who'd read your work, would you?
1 What do you mean? You're not "real?" Rejected does not render you unreal; it makes you "seasoned."
2 Sure! I love random people, as well as those who stop by on purpose.

I haven't posted on Myspace in a very long time, but I do keep up with my blogger blog. I don't know if it has done anything to help my writerly cause, but I have met a lot of interesting people and it has brought my attention to many good books which I have read and want to read. Run on sentence. Sentence fragment. When is lunch?

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Well, from the article, it sounds like some authors have some pretty creative ideas, like searching for MySpace members with the same names as their characters and sending them messages and friend requests.

That's what I mean -- it takes time and effort to "reach out." I know people who actually do that -- search for members by name, interest, groups, etc. and send them "friend" requests. I know Barry Eisner does that, and he has over 14,000 friends. Personally, I don't think I'm "successful" enough to do that yet. I think I would need at least three books under my name for me to feel comfortable with seeking out strangers.

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Thing is maestro, people like being sought out! I mean I know it feels nice when someone asks me to be their friend, famous author or not (not that any famous authors have sought me out). Why should it not be the same for them when you ask them? Everyone knows the purpose of Myspace is to network, it isn't like you are going up to people on the subway and asking them if they will be your friend (hmm . . . I should try that . . .).

Pamster

Summer time Blues
Registered
Reaction score
Hacking? Help me understand how hacking and myspace are connected can you guys? :) Do you mean your profile gets hijacked or you mean your freaking computer got hacked? Big difference...thanks in advance everyone, definitely an interesting thread. :)

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
But just "friending" someone doesn't mean anything. Maybe I'm just old-fashioned. I just don't know how this works. So you have 12,000 friends -- do you actually visit their sites? Do you really read all their blogs and bulletins and leave comments and chat? Do they actually read your stuff and visit your page regularly? Or is it just this "oh, cool, I have 12,000 friends" thing? It would be meaningless. To me, they may as well be faceless visitors to my website because I don't know them and they don't know me. To make a real connection, you will have to make an effort to actually (at least) leave them a comment or exchanged PMs. But even that is fleeting. How much time do you need to spend on MySpace to actually make it work?

Maybe they have a forum on MySpace, too -- that may be worthwhile because you'd have real interaction with people. I haven't looked around MySpace to see if they have a forum...

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
I started up a MySpace page to network with other writers and readers, but I'll admit, I don't know how much good it really does. My MySpace blog is just repost of my blogger blog. But since my website is static (looking for a new webguy), I use it and my blog in place of an updated website - which is easier because I can make the changes, etc.

General Joy

general soothsayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cassandrazaruba.net
Pamster-- It's not uncommon for profiles to get hijacked. The spam is Myspace's downside. I wrote about it on my myspace blog. I've had real friends (that is, ones I know in real life) send me messages or comments via myspace that are all about how I can get a free Gucci bag, or inviting me to look at some sex tape. They were obviously not sent by my friends, but rather the result of their accounts being hacked.

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
maestro - some of them I have a nice email back and forth with. I visit pages occasionally, or subscribe to some of their blogs. It depends. There is no right way of doing it. I think you are putting too much pressure on yourself, it isn't all or nothing. If right now you don't want to do it then that's cool, if later you find yourself striking up a few email friendships that's cool to. If you want to be Barry Eisler and communicate with all of them (heck we even had a brief back and forth, and I must be friend 14 001 or something) you can do that too.

I think what people forget is that you can use the technology to your purposes. There is no right or wrong way. Sure some people are better at networking than others, but if you don't want to, you don't have to. There is choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.