Comedy and Religion

Status
Not open for further replies.

WildBill

Registered
Reaction score
Now there's a match made in heaven... or hell. Funny how God is, eh?

I've written hundreds of theological articles, and for some strange reason, I get some over-the-edge responses quite often. It seams that I tend to poke fun at Christianity in a very serious fashion- intellectual goofiness for those horn-rimmed geeks in the seminaries. I'll admit that I did more of the same for that contest on the Christian forum... How silly can I get while teaching something important about my faith?

Lots of folks get uber-offended at this; as if I had just written blasphemy of the funny spirit. Take John the Baptist for example. He's a boatload of humour waiting to be let out. I mean, just look at the dude: Unkempt, wearing an old rope and rags while munching on whatever he finds under a rock. Now turn the tube on to TBN and show me a baptist like that. Where's the disconnect? either Benny Hinn needs to roll in the dirt or old Johnny needs a rolex to go with his sackcloth.

How about Jesus? He's got a way with the jokes. In Matthew 18, he explains that someone claiming to be a Christian but won't repent of blatant sin should be treated like a tax collector. Now he said this in the presence of his good buddy Matthew... a tax collector. What does this say about their relationship? I can see it now... Jesus says to his apostles, "Hey guys, I love y'all... except you, you tax collectin' sack of moth bait!

Or how about the time he tell Peter to go for a stroll on a lake. Can you imagine the jokes in that boat after that? Did they all sing 'I Wanna Be a Lifeguard'? As ol' Pedro stepped out of the boat did Jesus say, 'Psyche!"

When a non-Christian write such things, the devout often turn a pissed-off eye the other way. But when a Christian perpetrates these evils, the wrath of the righteously indignant often ensues. "How can you call yourself a Christian and write such things" they quip. But they are forgetting that God is the author of humour. I mean, this guy made the platypus and the sloth. He put 'eye spots' on blind stuff. How can you look at creation and not see how wonderfully comical it is?

So what are your thoughts? How would you juxtapose the sacred and the laughable? Is it legal in a blue-law town?

Theognome

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
I think that humor can be incorporated into any aspect of our lives. I wouldn't be offended by a religious quip, but I can't speak for everyone. It depends on that individual's relationship with his/her religion. So you may cause some negative emotions from a few people while others are chuckling.

Last edited:

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
How about Jesus? He's got a way with the jokes.

When he healed the beggar, Jesus quipped something akin to 'well, now he's gotta get a job'.

Yes, Jesus had a wonderful sense of humor, and there is so much humor in the bible. People who don't see it miss much.

Yes, God has a keen sense of humor. Look at a duck, up close, beak-on. Now that took a comedic turn.

Most Christians, even many fundamentalist Christians, would get the humor, provided it was biblically based and, essentially, correct.

The problem would come from those less versed in the bible and Christian history. IMHO, the newly converted seem mighty quick to hurl stones.

Heaven would suck if there was no laughter, now, wouldn't it?

Meerkat

Claims the loan was a gift
Registered
Reaction score
"site, place, position" --Roget's Thesaurus
Actually, I think some of the stoning passages in the Bible qualify as humor: At one point in the New Testament, even before He has finished speaking to the crowd, they are described as bending over to pick up stones. That is showing, not telling. That is humor. And speaking of boating, when He is speaking to his Disciples in the boat, and it is being buffeted by a storm, one of them asks if he cares a lick for their safety. It is reminiscent of the second-in-command to the chief of the Hickowee tribe in the old TV series F-Troop, constantly questioning his leader's authority. There is definitely humor in the Bible.

BruceJ

Me and my Muse
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brucejudisch.com
Used in the right venue, and given care, faith is not debased by humor. I prepare my class with that notion in my intoductory session leading into an in-depth study of the Minor Prophets (in which there's a lot of humor). As with any rhetorical device--which is what humor is--it can be mistimed and/or over-done, both of which can become counterproductive. But it's still a valuable tool and can go far in implanting a serious message.

One of my favorites is Jesus' first exchange with Nathanael (John 1:45-50). Imagine the tongue-in-cheek/sarcasm.

Phillip: "Nathanael, come see! We've found the Messiah. He's from Nazareth!"
Nathanel: "Nazareth? What good could possibly come from Galilee?"
Jesus: "Ah, now here's a real Israelite---one who doesn't lie! (Is that any more likely than good coming from Galilee?)"
Nathanael: "How did you know who I am?"
Jesus: "I saw you sitting under a tree."
Nathanael: "You must be the Messiah!"
Jesus: "You figure I'm the Messiah just because I saw you sitting under a tree? If you're that easily impressed, stick around."

Well, it could've gone like that... :)

WildBill

Registered
Reaction score
Aye. Dark, humerous sarcasm is repleat in Scripture. Consider Elijah in 1 Kings 17 on Mount Karmel, goading the heathen prophets to 'wake up their god'.

I just LOVE that stuff!

Theognome

Status
Not open for further replies.