Question for a Real Estate Agent...

NancyMehl

She Who Resonates...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nancymehlbooks.com
I have a protagonist who is living in a home purchased through a real estate agent. I need the agent to have a valid reason to visit her eight months later. It can be something to do with a mistake in paperwork -- something that could actually happen.

It might make a difference that my protag lives in a very small town - no banks or title companies. The only reason the agent lives there is because he primarily handles rural properties so his business takes him to all kinds of farms and small towns in the area.

One other thing: Her fiancee actually bought the house. She might need to be added onto the title?

If you can help me, please contact me at [email protected].

Thanks!

Nancy

Gary

Registered
Reaction score
My wife is a Realtor, and makes a practice of following up her sales by phone, or mail, every few months. On Christmas, she personally delivers a small gift to each of her past clients...usually a poinsettia or Seasonal arrangement.

I can't see any instance when a Realtor would be visiting to correct/complete paperwork. That's all out of the Realtor's hands once the contract is closed.

NancyMehl

She Who Resonates...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nancymehlbooks.com
Thanks for the reply, Gary.

I'm hoping that since the realtor lives in the small town and the title company is in another town, maybe he would be given something to deliver. I realize that the realtor's job is done, but is it possible he could be a "go between" for the title company?

Stopping by just to check on my protag isn't something this realtor would do.

Nancy

JoniBGoode

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, Gary.

I'm hoping that since the realtor lives in the small town and the title company is in another town, maybe he would be given something to deliver. I realize that the realtor's job is done, but is it possible he could be a "go between" for the title company?

Stopping by just to check on my protag isn't something this realtor would do.

Nancy

As a former Realtor, I have to agree with Gary. If the paperwork wasn't in order, the title wouldn't have been transferred at closing. If they're refinancing the house, that would be handled by a mortgage broker. I guess they could add her to the title, but it seems like this would be handled by a notary, not a Realtor.

BTW, Realtor' don't check up on people just to be friendly and nice. They follow up because that's how you generate repeat business, and get referrals to friends and relatives. So, if this real estate agent wants to stay in business, he will follow up.

scottaz

Silence! I kill you!
Registered
Reaction score
What if said Realtor has another client that absolutely can't live without your protag's house? The Realtor could be stopping by to see if there is any interest in selling, but may mention it purely in passing.

JanDarby

Registered
Reaction score
It may depend on the state, too.

Here in Massachusetts, a closing attorney represents the lender and does most of the paperwork for and during the closing. If there was something like a typo in the deed, which was noticed later (perhaps when the original lender tries to sell the mortgage on the secondary market or when the owner takes out an equity line of credit), it can affect the title, and a confirmatory deed might be obtained (from the original seller) and recorded, and then the lender might want the lawyer to get a confirmatory mortgage from the buyer, just so the mortgage's description of the property matches the deed's description. If the owner of the property is resisting signing the mortgage, and the lawyer has a good relationship with the broker (note that Realtor is a trademarked term, I believe, and not all real estate brokers are Realtors), and the broker does a lot of business with the lender and the lawyer, so the broker would be willing to do a favor for the lawyer and lender to keep them happy, and the broker is a notary (the mortgage would need to be notarized), then, as a goodwill gesture, the broker might be willing to take the confirmatory mortgage papers out to the owner of the property to get them signed.

Anyway, the main point is that the process for transferring title and the problems that may arise later that the broker might facilitate, varies a great deal from state to state.

JD, not giving legal advice, just general information

Jo

Travelling the re-write road
Registered
Reaction score
I have a protagonist who is living in a home purchased through a real estate agent. I need the agent to have a valid reason to visit her eight months later.

In Australia, agents often give bulk "free, no obligation" property valuations. Could the agent be offering these valuations in your protags area? Most agents leave flyers announcing their visit, but some door knock (especially when they've dealt with the owner previously). It could be a matter of, "I was in the area and thought I'd say hi. How are things coming along?".

NancyMehl

She Who Resonates...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nancymehlbooks.com
Thanks. A lot of good information.

I'm going to have to think about this carefully. I'm beginning to think that I need to come up with an entirely different reason for him to stop by.

I appreciate all the comments. You all may have saved me from making a big mistake.

Readers don't like to read something that doesn't make sense!

Nancy

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
It's a small town, and her fiance bought the house? Maybe the realtor heard a rumour that the relationship was on the rocks and she might want a place of her own?

Tish Davidson

Registered
Reaction score
We occasionally get calls from our Realtor even though it is 10 year since we bought our house. He calls saying that he has a client who is interested in buying a house in our neighborhood, do we know anyone who might be thinking of selling. Out neighborhood has a lot of older people in it, so it isn't unreasonable to think that some of them may be interested in moving to lower-maintenance housing, but haven't gotten around to putting their house on the market yet. Maybe you could use something like that. Plus, our Realtor sends us a wall calendar each year. Maybe the one in your story could be hand-delivering calendars to former clients.

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
Maybe the realtor could also be a friend.....

When we bought a home earlier this year and listed our former home for sale, I went to a former colleague (we worked together some years back in broadcasting) and so we enjoyed very personal service. He brought a lot of the paperwork to the our house but that was because he's a friend and he doesn't live that far away.

Since both projects - buying and selling - were wrapped up, though, there really would not be a reason for him to come by our home that is business related.

After close, the details are done and over.

NancyMehl

She Who Resonates...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nancymehlbooks.com
Thanks, everyone. I decided to abandon the realtor angle. I have a pretty good snow storm going, so I decided to let him get stuck in the snow! My protag's house is the only one close by so he has to go there to get help.

The friend idea wouldn't work because he is...(cough, cough) the bad guy!!

Thanks again. <S>

Nancy

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
Here's one my sister had happen - the old owner had forgotten a box of mementos in the basement. His kids had tucked them up into the joists. They had moved, but the RE agent did him a favor and stopped by to get the box.

D.J.

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a Realtor in a relatively small town in Texas - a suburb of Dallas. Some agents like to take copies of the paperwork at the end of the year to help the buyers from having to dig for what they need to get homestead exemption and/or tax info.
As one person mentioned, it is good to keep in touch with past clients, that are added to our sphere of influence. That is a list of people who we keep trying to "farm." We want to get more business or referrals directly or indirectly from.
As far as a name added on the house title, etc., that has to be done at the time via an amendment, etc. before it closes. After that it would be an attorney's job.

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
Perhaps the realtor was given something by the family of the person who originally owned the house, and had to deliver it to the new owner? Like old keys, builders plans, etc.

That might work.