William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
i wish like hell i could have made it to the exhibit, but the online gallery is nice and you can get some decent views of the works.

more about the exhibit here.

Cummings_Performer_S.jpg

E. E. Cummings
Cabaret Performer, circa 1935
O/c on board, 10" x 8"

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
I'm always amazed by people who can tap into both art and writing. I have a disconnect there. While I appreciate art very much, my hands were not made to create in that way.
To see the works of those hands with dual abilities is very impressive.

thanks for the link.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
I've never drawn a sharp distinction between the two. Writers paint with words. Painters don't use words. They don't have to. It's all, writer or painter, communication with the visual, emotional and wondering mind. The need, the drive to communicate - to reach someone - to have someone else hear you on the other end of the line, as opposed to getting a dial tone - that's art.

Last edited:

Wraith

The demon in your inkwell.
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, very nicely said, but they're still different ways of viewing the world to me. I like to write and I like to draw, but when I draw a lot I tend to write less, and viceversa. When I used to paint I would look at the world for shadows and highlights, colours and shapes; usually I look at it unconsciously trying to find the words for all that (which is why I write more than I draw). It's like two ways of creating memories and making things ours.

But yes, all art has common roots. And the idea of that exhibition is great. I especially like Hugo's landscape, but all of them are interesting.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
The Hugo is, by far, my favorite of those shown. I'm amazed by the ability to tell a hand to do as the eye or the mind sees.