PDA

View Full Version : AW Flash Fiction Carnival the Third

valeenc
11-13-2007, 09:14 PM
I know, I know - it hasn't been that long since soma hosted an AWFFC, but I wanted to begin hyping this now because I want to have beaucoups participants. There are so many excellent writers around AW that need showcasing and this is a great way to do it.

Now you US Americans (heh) don't be hollering at me about the dates. I know darned well it's Thanksgiving week and the beginning of the holiday season. That is what makes it ideal timing. Many people have at least two days off and that should give folks time to at least get some ideas formulated and some notes made.

The theme is any variation on: TRANSFORM

The guidelines are:

Participating writers can be from anywhere, not just members of AW, so if you have a writer friend who doesn't play here, you may invite them to join us. If your friend does not have a blog, perhaps you can host them or if needed, I will host their story quite happily. If YOU don't have a blog but wish to be hosted, just holler. I'll host you too. :)
Stories must relate somehow to the theme. This can be a very broad interpretation or specific. You're the writer, so you do what works for you.
You will have 14 days to write. I may choose to extend that by a couple of days if I'm begged/bribed/wheedled very nicely. ;)
Stories can range in length from 500 words to 1200 words, give or take no more than 100 either way, please.
I will be posting the participants' list in my blog no later than December 8th.
If you participate, you need to comment on the contributions of your fellow writers. Feedback is essential so please make sure you comment. Also, encourage all your friends and family to read and comment as well.
When you are done with your story, post it in your blog and send me the permalink, the name under which you wish to be identified, and the story title. You may send it to me, removing the spaces and changing the at to @ of course, at: virginia lee writes AT yahoo.com.If you have questions, please post them here because odds are you're not the only one wondering. I more than likely have forgotten something essential, so do holler.

Oh yes, I nearly forgot -- I need to receive your entry information by midnight on December 4th.

Thanks to bsolah for getting the FFCs going and to soma for hosting #2. Let's make #3 HUGE!

Now then, everybody dance! ! !

:banana: :PartySmil :e2bouncey :e2bear: :e2dance::snoopy:

DonnaDuck
11-13-2007, 11:00 PM
Ooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Mememememememememememememe! I'm so in!

valeenc
11-14-2007, 09:28 PM
That's GREAT DD! :banana:

DonnaDuck
11-15-2007, 01:47 AM
It's an addiction that I'm addicted to feeding in a redundant sort of way!

valeenc
11-18-2007, 06:06 AM
I wanted to get this a bit higher to remind folks to be looking for the theme on the 20th. I've narrowed it down to about four or five.

Please look at the rules/guidelines I've posted so far and ask any questions or make suggestions if you have them.

Thanks!

:banana:

soma
11-18-2007, 09:14 AM
I'll be waitin'.

valeenc
11-18-2007, 03:04 PM
Yay!

valeenc
11-20-2007, 04:25 AM
In about 4.5 hours I'll post the theme for this carnival here and in the flash fiction forum. Please spread the word to all your writing friends all over. Let's make this carnival HUGE!

DonnaDuck
11-20-2007, 04:27 AM
Where's the creepy clown music?

wordsmyth
11-20-2007, 04:29 AM
I'm thinking I might be up for this. hmmm.

ello
11-20-2007, 07:05 AM
This sounds cool! How many blogs did you connect to last time? Each blog will connect to you I take it? Also, is there a minimum number of blogs to visit and provide feedback on? I'm just wondering because if you get hundreds of entries, it might be difficult to hit all of them. Also, will you break out entries into categories? I just ask since no matter what topic you choose you are bound to get a whole host of different genres and it would be cool if all bloggers send you their link and a genre tag so you can list by genre. As you can see by my annoying questions that I am very new to this, but it sounds fun!

valeenc
11-20-2007, 09:21 AM
This sounds cool! How many blogs did you connect to last time? Each blog will connect to you I take it? Also, is there a minimum number of blogs to visit and provide feedback on? I'm just wondering because if you get hundreds of entries, it might be difficult to hit all of them. Also, will you break out entries into categories? I just ask since no matter what topic you choose you are bound to get a whole host of different genres and it would be cool if all bloggers send you their link and a genre tag so you can list by genre. As you can see by my annoying questions that I am very new to this, but it sounds fun!

Hello, ello! :)

So far we haven't made hundreds of participants, but with the writers' strike, who knows how many more people we'll get! So far the number of participants hasn't been unmanageable for making comments, but you do at least need to read everyone's piece if at all possible. Part of the purpose of the FFC is to get traffic to our various blogs as well as to showcase our work.

As to separating genres? If that becomes necessary I'll do so, but you'll have to help me get at least thirty writers participating before I'll make the effort. Coding is not my best thing.

What happens is that when a blogger or guest writer in someone else's blog is done with their themed piece, they post it and send me the permalink, author, blog title and story title. Once I've compiled everyone's I post all the links in my blog. I make the announcement that the links are all up in this thread and then we're on our way.

Typing of permalinks, here's the one to my blogpost with the formal theme announcement and the announcement of the FFC: http://virginialeenc.blogspot.com/2007/11/aw-flash-fiction-carnival-iii-theme.html

Um, if I've forgotten anything, please holler.

DonnaDuck
11-20-2007, 09:06 PM
Interesting topic! I shall start mulling it over...

III
11-20-2007, 09:12 PM
Just emailed my submission, Virginia. How fun! Thanks for putting this together!

DonnaDuck
11-20-2007, 09:13 PM
Holy crap! Did you channel Virginia to get the topic in advance???

valeenc
11-21-2007, 02:55 AM
Holy crap! Did you channel Virginia to get the topic in advance???

:eek::eek::eek:

*checks brain*

As far as I can tell, my circuits are still intact. :Thumbs:

Meanwhile, III has asked me to host his entry, which I am more than happy to do. So remember, if you need hosting, feel free to ask me.

Woohoo! And away we go!

ello
11-21-2007, 05:34 AM
So everyone should post their entry on their blog on the same day, right? Which would be the 4th which is the day all entries are due as a link to you? Did I get that right?

DonnaDuck
11-21-2007, 06:13 AM
Nope. What goes on is that you have until midnight on the 4th of December to write your piece. You can post it in your blog (or wherever it's getting posted) any time between now and then and mail Virginia the permalink. Once she's gathered all the links, she'll post them all in a blog post in her blog and we all dive in like rabid animals and read away. What I did was I posted the permalink to the host blog at the end of my post so people have a route back to the source but, obviously, that gets done after the fact.

valeenc
11-21-2007, 06:14 AM
Oh no. If you have a blog and have your story done, you may post. At least that's what we've done in the past. It's not necessarily convenient for everyone to post on the same day, especially this time of year. Just remember that posting early does not release you from the implicit obligation of reading the other participants' stories nor from commenting.

If you have a look at bsolah's FFC (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77710) and then soma's FFC II (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81421) you'll get an idea of how things went. I think some folks posted their links and some did not. Also, many didn't even let us know they'd sent stories so it was a surprise to see them on the lists posted by the FFC hosts.

ETA: Rabid animals? We gots rabid animals? :eek:

valeenc
11-21-2007, 07:15 AM
An excellent comment was posted in my blog that is relevant to FFC III.

Terri asked: Can the Flash be one already written? It is otherwise unpublished or submitted anywhere. Or does it need to be done in those 14 given days?

My response: Hi Terri! EXCELLENT question. For the first FFC, for which the theme was Beginnings, I wrote an entirely new story. For the second FFC, with the theme of Madness, I edited an old story that fit the theme and that hadn't been published anywhere. I'll be writing an original piece for this FFC based on an idea I've had for many years but never got around to writing before now.

As long as the piece fits the theme and the wordcount, feel free to use it whether it's new or one you have sitting idly by.

Welcome to the carnival! I'm glad you're going to join us.

Don't be shy about asking questions, either here or in my blog, folks. That's what I'm here for, after all.

valeenc
11-21-2007, 07:35 PM
THIRTEEN DAYS TO GO ! ! !

bsolah
11-22-2007, 06:15 AM
Thanks Soma and Virginia for keeping this thing alive whilst I've drifted off.

Been busy with work as I can't seem to get away with doing as much stuff from work as I used to; I've been going to protests as it's the Australian election on Saturday and I've met someone and been spending lots of time with her.

The good news is, I have an idea for a story and hopefully I'll get it done and put it up on my blog.

valeenc
11-22-2007, 06:43 AM
You'd better! :whip:

:D

valeenc
11-23-2007, 12:22 AM
12 days and counting ! ! !

Dawno
11-23-2007, 12:52 AM
Thanks valeenc for keeping the thread bumped - good luck to everyone on the carnival!

valeenc
11-23-2007, 01:30 PM
Sure thing, Dawno! I'm hoping to have many participants this go-round. Typing of which . . .

ELEVEN days left to write!

:hooray::Thumbs::Clap::Coffee::e2Order::e2cheer: :e2BIC: :e2cat:

valeenc
11-24-2007, 03:17 PM
TEN days to TRANSFORM that blank page into a flash piece for the Flash Fiction Carnival III ! ! !

Also, entries are starting to trickle in. Make sure yours gets to me by midnight on December 4th!

virginialeewrites AT yahoo.com (remove spaces & change the AT to @)

catephoenix
11-24-2007, 08:40 PM
Hi Virginia - I'm hoping to give this ago... Cheers for being the host, Cate

valeenc
11-25-2007, 12:07 AM
That's excellent, Cate! I look forward to reading your flash. :)

SherryTex
11-25-2007, 12:15 AM
Transformative powers....activate!

valeenc
11-25-2007, 03:38 PM
And then there were NINE days to write a piece for the Flash Fiction Carnival III ! ! ! (http://virginialeenc.blogspot.com/2007/11/aw-flash-fiction-carnival-iii-theme.html)

:e2Order: So get a move on already! :whip:

Don't forget to tell all your fellow writer chums that everyone is :welcome: .

:banana: :banana: :banana:

wordsmyth
11-25-2007, 11:49 PM
I was overly optimistic. I'll not be joining this carnival. Of course, when I thought I could I wasn't sick with a horrible nasty icky head cold. :b

valeenc
11-26-2007, 02:58 AM
Oh come on, Lynn! You can do 500 words on transformation with a head cold!

Here, I'll help. :e2cheer:

Considering your household, it seems the transformation of one of the kids would be easy to draw upon. Or how about your own transformation into a serious serial blogger? And there's always the transformation of the seasons. Of course, we mustn't forget the transformation one's home goes through during the holidays either. Oh, and there's the transformation that you go through when you're sick. Mucus everywhere. The inability to breathe effectively. The headaches. The ever increasing pile of disposable snotrags that miss the trashcan by your bed.

It's all usable!

You have over a week, hon. I have total faith in your ability to come up with 500 words.

I hope you feel better soonest and change your mind. It will be a disappointment to not have you join us, but I understand.

Meanwhile, I recommend lots of chicken soup or broth with beaucoups of garlic, tons of other liquids (NOT soda or anything caffeinated), and extra Vitamin C.

valeenc
11-26-2007, 03:20 PM
Gosh. I really yelled up there, huh? Sorry, Lynn. I was trying to be encouraging, not bullying.

Anyhoo, y'all have 8 days left to write about transforming, tranformers, transformations, or things, people, or ideas that can transform.

I do hope you'll join us. So far there is interest from five continents. Isn't that cool!?!?!

DonnaDuck
11-26-2007, 07:30 PM
I should get to writing, huh? Why can't all weekends be 4 day weekends?

valeenc
11-27-2007, 08:06 AM
DonnaDuck said:
I should get to writing, huh? Why can't all weekends be 4 day weekends?
Five hundred to twelve hundred words isn't too bad, is it DD?

Meanwhile, I want to remind folks that there's a week left to write using TRANSFORMas your inspiration. Don't overthink this. It's not a contest, after all. The reward comes from meeting the challenge of writing a story that is thematically connected to stories written by a variety of different writers in all genres. The best way to grow as a writer is to push yourself to go outside your comfort zone. That way you can transform yourself and become more skilled.

Also, it's pretty cool to increase your blog or website traffic and find new readers as well as finding new writers to read yourself.

So we're down to ONE WEEK folks. I look forward to receiving your permalinks or stories to post in my blog on your behalf: virginialeewrites AT yahoo.com.

DonnaDuck
11-27-2007, 09:09 PM
Nope, not at all. It's just my procrastination level is pretty high at the moment!

valeenc
11-28-2007, 04:06 AM
Nope, not at all. It's just my procrastination level is pretty high at the moment!

Yep. It's this time of year. Once the weather gets a smidge cooler all I want to do is curl up and watch movies and read. And watch every version of A Christmas Carol I can find on the TV. Even the Susan Lucci and Tori Spelling ones! :eek:

bsolah
11-28-2007, 04:10 AM
The weather is the opposite here, but has much the same effect. The heat and humidity drains all energy from you and I'll use this as an excuse despite working all day in an air-conditioned office.

valeenc
11-28-2007, 04:15 AM
Heh. I wondered if any Aussies would pipe in when I typed that. ;)

valeenc
11-28-2007, 02:11 PM
SIX DAYS TO WRITE ! ! ! :hooray:

valeenc
11-29-2007, 11:55 AM
:banana: :e2cheer: :TheWave: :banana: :e2woo: :e2cheer:

FIVE DAYS TO WRITE ! ! !

If you need inspiration, it's CREATIVE THURSDAY (http://virginialeenc.blogspot.com/2007/11/creative-thursday-mrs-mangum.html) in my blog and I've posted a sample story that fits the theme and that was mostly written in an hour.

valeenc
12-01-2007, 07:51 PM
Since today is the 1st of December, that means you have 3.5 days left to write your TRANSFORMing flash and submit your permalink or story to me at virginialeewritesATyahoo.com.

:banana::TheWave::e2cheer::e2bear::e2BIC: :e2bouncey :e2cheer::Lecture::poke::e2coffee::e2Order::whip: :hooray: :e2cheer::banana:

valeenc
12-02-2007, 11:21 PM
Since today is the 2nd of December, that means you have 2.5 days left to write your TRANSFORMing flash and submit your permalink or story to me at virginialeewritesATyahoo.com.

:banana::TheWave::e2cheer::e2bear::e2BIC: :e2bouncey :e2cheer::Lecture::poke::e2coffee::e2Order::whip: :hooray: :e2cheer::banana:

Cath
12-03-2007, 01:35 AM
You're doing such a good job of plugging this, Virginia, that I might even have an entry for you. :)

valeenc
12-03-2007, 01:43 AM
You're doing such a good job of plugging this, Virginia, that I might even have an entry for you. :)

Woohoo ! ! ! :D:hooray::snoopy::partyguy: :Thumbs: :Clap::TheWave::e2cheer::e2cat::Sun::banana:

DonnaDuck
12-03-2007, 01:53 AM
Mine's written. I just need to refine it and post it and I have to say, it's complete crap. I had such issues with this topic and I was blocked nine ways from Sunday when it came to writing something for it. But I pushed forward, I wrote something and I'm going to post it because I made a commitment. *sigh* You'll see the email later, Virginia.

valeenc
12-03-2007, 02:03 AM
Mine's written. I just need to refine it and post it and I have to say, it's complete crap. I had such issues with this topic and I was blocked nine ways from Sunday when it came to writing something for it. But I pushed forward, I wrote something and I'm going to post it because I made a commitment. *sigh* You'll see the email later, Virginia.

:Hug2:Aw, now, don't be so hard on yourself. You still have a couple of days. Who knows? A new inspiration may strike! :Sun:

DonnaDuck
12-03-2007, 02:18 AM
I have mulled over this since you posted the topic. I tried prompts, reading, my dog, anything to spark some kind of story but nothing came so I forced it. It's a little on the demented side which is me, to say the least, but eh, I'm not overjoyed by it. Thanks for the encouragement. Hopefully next time around my brain won't decided to look the other way!

bsolah
12-03-2007, 02:39 AM
Feel really guilty for not getting my butt into gear with this and suddenly I've hit month end reports at work so it's not looking good.

DonnaDuck
12-03-2007, 05:01 AM
Just emailed you my permalink, Virginia. I am done for this round!

valeenc
12-03-2007, 05:20 AM
Hmm, for some reason your email hasn't come through, but I went to your blog and snagged the permalink myself.

Thanks for playing, hon. Maybe the next time I host I can find a more inspirational theme that will work for you.

ETA: :Hug2: :hooray: :snoopy::Sun: :partyguy: :Cake: :Trophy: :e2bear: :e2cat: :banana:

valeenc
12-03-2007, 04:31 PM
40ish hours left ! ! !
:hooray::Sun::Trophy::e2Order::e2cheer: :e2cheer: :e2cheer: :e2BIC::banana:

Okay kids, I'm getting nervous. I've had beaucoups of clicks about the theme and how this works, but WHERE ARE ALL THE WRITERS?!?!?!? :rant:

Come on, y'all! Go for it! :Lecture: This is not a contest, it's just a chance for you to stretch your skills and write thematically as well as bring readers to your blog and/or your writing. Remember, ANY genre is welcome and so far we have humor, horror, literary, and magical realism.

Ben Solah and Sam Tinianow, I'm calling you guys out SPECIFICALLY. Now gentlemen, I wrote for both of your FFCs and I've heard nothing from either of you. You're both like half my age, literally, so what's up? Come on, fellows! You know you want to . . . :poke:

virginialeewritesATyahoo.com is where you need to send your submission. That's either a permalink to where your story is posted in your blog or someone else's, or your story directly to me to host.

:banana::banana::banana:

DonnaDuck
12-03-2007, 09:45 PM
V, thanks for grabbing the permalink. I sent it again anyway since I got the pm before I came in here. Dude, people need to write. My story was more forced than Britney Spear's singing and I still participated so no excuses!

bsolah
12-04-2007, 02:07 AM
Yeah, really need to get to it. You're doing a great job of riling everyone up. I'm just lacking time at the moment, which I had yesterday evening when I was sitting in a computer cafe for one and a half hours -- and did nothing but play computer games.

valeenc
12-04-2007, 02:49 AM
Computer games? :eek: :Headbang:

I'm counting on you, Ben! Don't make me come down there . . . :whip:

bsolah
12-04-2007, 02:54 AM
lol, yeah, I know, I've been lacking disipline.

I'm writing it right now, I swear.

DonnaDuck
12-04-2007, 05:07 AM
No you're not! You're typing on AW! Liar! He's lying. Write!

valeenc
12-04-2007, 08:45 AM
:eek: :Clap: :banana: :hooray:24 hours ! ! ! :poke::e2cheer::e2coffee::e2BIC:

virginialeewritesATyahoo.com

valeenc
12-04-2007, 11:49 AM
I just wanted to remind y'all that it's going to take a minimum of one day to get the coding and link confirmation done. And I need to set up the posts for the stories I'm hosting and getting those links good to go too. I'll do this as quickly as I can, but it all really depends on how many flashes we end up having. I said before that the 8th would be the latest that I'd get the posting done and I don't foresee any reason that should change. Unless I end up with hundreds upon hundreds of stories and then after I faint I'll holler for help.

I look forward to reading and commenting on everybody's contribution.

Serena Casey
12-04-2007, 08:19 PM
Hi Virginia - I just sent a submission with a request for you to host it. Thought I'd let you know here in case it ends up in a spam folder.

I can't wait to see all the stories! :)

valeenc
12-04-2007, 09:45 PM
I got it Serena and I'm more than happy to host it for you. :) You'll be getting an email from me before long.:Hug2:

Just over 11 hours left to send me your flash for the Flash Fiction Carnival III.

There are only two male writers thus far. I'm still missing bsolah and soma who hosted the first and second FFCs. I don't know what's up with the lack of testosterone, but it's very disappointing. I was expecting more since the first entry I got was from a man. Oh well.

Send your permalink or story to me: virginialeewrites AT yahoo.com.

bsolah
12-05-2007, 02:06 AM
Mine is half way done at work yesterday. Then went to my girlfriend's house last night so couldn't finish it.

But my boss is sick today! Flash fiction here I come!

valeenc
12-05-2007, 03:27 AM
Mine is half way done at work yesterday. Then went to my girlfriend's house last night so couldn't finish it.

But my boss is sick today! Flash fiction here I come!

Dude . . . :Headbang:

Meanwhile, there are LESS THAN SIX HOURS LEFT ! ! !

Bribes may be accepted if you're very persuasive.

virginialeewritesATyahoo.com is where your flashes need to be sent. I still have only two male writers, Ben will make #3.

Piffle.

valeenc
12-05-2007, 03:59 AM
Okay folks, just so there are no misunderstandings --

THIS IS NOT A CONTEST ! There are NO prizes involved.

This event's goals are:

1. Every writer writes on the same theme, in their own preferred genre, a flash of 500 - 1200 words as a personal challenge or exercise in writing.

2. You post your story on your blog or someone else's so that people can come read it and comment on it.

3. You read what other writers did with the theme at their blogs or host-sites and leave a comment.

4. Everyone involved exposes their writing to more readers in a NON-COMPETITIVE environment and gets more traffic to their blog as a result.

YOU ARE A WINNER because you either wrote a new story or you dug out one you had already, dusted it off, possibly tweaked it, and put it out for the world to read. That is an amazing achievement. So many people who write never dare to do something even as easy as this. There is no rejection involved as far as your participation goes.

Okay?

Okay.

DonnaDuck
12-05-2007, 04:47 AM
Squid! I know you're out there! She wrote a piece for this and I hope she sent it in!

valeenc
12-05-2007, 04:48 AM
It's a boy! We have another male participant! I repeat, we have another male!

valeenc
12-05-2007, 04:49 AM
Squid! I know you're out there! She wrote a piece for this and I hope she sent it in!

She did and I have it, hon. :hooray:

DonnaDuck
12-05-2007, 04:53 AM
Yes! My incessant badgering worked! I rock! Now if she'll just post to the board!

valeenc
12-05-2007, 08:00 AM
Okay -- I have to go out for a good chunk of tomorrow as it turns out. This means that I will not have a chance to get to my coding and set up of posts for the flashes I'm hosting until Thursday. This means that you have another day.

This is not rocket science. It's just a flash. TRANSFORM yourself by taking this on. I have absolute faith in your ability to write 500 - 1200 words by the time I open up my mailbox for virginialeewrites AT yahoo.com on Thursday morning.

Nothing would make me happier than to have dozens of stories to slog my way through.

Be a winner. Who cares if you didn't finish NaNoWriMo or NaBloPoMo! Win by joining FFC III.

TRANSFORM, y'all.

:banana: :e2cat: :banana:

bsolah
12-05-2007, 08:04 AM
Yeah, I'm getting to it. Just need to find five minutes spare.

valeenc
12-05-2007, 08:06 AM
I know, Ben. I never doubted you for a moment. It's just so much fun to give a Marxist Horror Writer all kinds of heck. :D

valeenc
12-05-2007, 04:17 PM
One last check before I head out.

I won't be checking my email inbox until tomorrow morning, so if you have questions leave them in a comment in my blog or PM me in here.

Thanks to all who've submitted so far! To those who have not, give it a go!

valeenc
12-06-2007, 03:30 PM
Submissions are closed. I got in THREE more links with the extra time. Ah well. At least they were all from far away across the mighty ocean! ;)

I should be able to get things good to go by Saturday afternoon. That's US Eastern time afternoon. I have a number of stories that I'm hosting, so I need to set up individual pages for them. Each story will have its own permalink - that way each participating writer can have their own individual comments section.

While there are more stories than the previous two FFCs, there are not so many that y'all can pick and choose. If your story is part of this, you need to read all the others and leave a comment. We need to acknowledge the efforts of one another and ourselves. Constructive criticism is encouraged.

Thank you to those of you who followed through. You've made my efforts mean something.

See you in a day or so.

L M Ashton
12-06-2007, 03:44 PM
Well, hey, it's not like I had much time to work with, ya know. I mean, you only twisted my arm yesterday to write the thing! Sheesh! What do some people expect? ;) (That must mean you got my email then...)

valeenc
12-06-2007, 04:35 PM
Oh yes! And I sent you one back too. :)

L M Ashton
12-06-2007, 04:39 PM
Oh yes. Got that one. Then sent you another... Because I have no life... I live to write Flash Fiction...

valeenc
12-06-2007, 07:09 PM
. . .I live to write Flash Fiction...

Don't we all? ;)

bsolah
12-07-2007, 02:19 AM
w00t!

I made it. How good am I?

I'd like to thank my fucking boss for being sick.

valeenc
12-07-2007, 04:18 AM
w00t!

I made it. How good am I?

I'd like to thank my fucking boss for being sick.

Ben, you're AWESOME! :hooray:

w00t! I'd like to thank Ben's boss for being sick too! :e2brows:

The men are still a bit under-represented, but I figure we'll catch a few more next time around. :wag:

And yeah, I'm working on it, y'all. :e2bouncey

valeenc
12-09-2007, 01:50 PM
FLASH FICTION CARNIVAL III (http://virginialeenc.blogspot.com/2007/12/transform-flash-fiction-carnival-iii.html) is LIVE ! ! !
:partyguy::hooray::snoopy::banana::Clap::PartySmil :e2bouncey:e2woo::D:welcome::e2drunk::e2grouphu :e2headban :e2cheer::e2bear::e2cat::banana: :banana: :banana:

Please add the following link to your blog and expose the twenty-one participating flashers! :eek:

http://virginialeenc.blogspot.com/2007/12/transform-flash-fiction-carnival-iii.html

madderblue
12-09-2007, 02:35 PM
Great job Virginia! I can't believe how many stories you got. Nice nudgin!;)

bsolah
12-09-2007, 04:20 PM
Posted on other thread:

Awesome work Virginia. There's so many stories and I can't wait to read them all on my bosses time ;)

I've linked to the carnival from my blog with a cool graphic, which anyone is free to use if they wish.

Also, looking for volunteers to carry the torch forward?

valeenc
12-09-2007, 06:47 PM
If no one does, I will again. But not until the second week of January at the earliest. I've got to get some other writing done over the next few weeks. :eek:

Sends secret cyber hugs to Cath.

Serena Casey
12-09-2007, 11:05 PM
Nice collection of stories - good job, Virginia! I'm making my way through them now...

madderblue
12-10-2007, 12:54 AM
It is early Monday morning and I'm about to leave the house. I won't get back until late tonight. Tomorrow I will read everyone's story and comment. I am really (!!) looking forward to this. And I usually hate reading online.

valeenc
12-10-2007, 01:12 AM
Dang, y'all. I know it's December but you've got a while to pace yourselves!

I'm astonished and impressed at how energetically y'all are diving into the reading and commenting. I'm probably going to give myself a couple of days before I get into that much more. But YAY! for all who are already on their way with reading and commenting.

One thing I will say about this group of stories - each one is distinct. That's very cool, that is.

bunnygirl
12-10-2007, 02:34 AM
Great carnival, Virginia! I'm going to offer to host a special holiday carnival, but this will be in a separate post.

valeenc
12-10-2007, 03:59 AM
Great carnival, Virginia! I'm going to offer to host a special holiday carnival, but this will be in a separate post.
Thanks BG. Wait a minute.... Wha???:e2faint:

DonnaDuck
12-10-2007, 06:28 AM
Ooo! Bunny did a Halloween one too and I plan on writing a piece specifically for Christmas so you'll definitely be seeing a piece from me!

And Virginia, thanks for saying that we don't have to rush in commenting. I'm part of the blog comment blitz too and I was about to trotz myself with all the commenting I have to do, not to mention I'm remodeling my website (unrelated to anything writing) on top of the writing itself and keeping up with my blog. Add in baking cookies, Christmas shopping and your normal holiday rush and I'm about to invite 5 more hours per weekend day.

valeenc
12-10-2007, 05:47 PM
Gah. Tell me about it, DD! At least I don't have a whole lot of holiday things to do. That's something. With only me and Miss Mama there's not a lot of prep there, although I do expect to do some extra baking. I'm breaking out the yeast, y'all!

And yeah, I just realized that I've got 50+ blog posts/stories to read and comment on already, plus the folks who I usually read, so I'll be spending a lot of time playing catch-up until the end of the month. Not to mention trying to, you know, WRITE! :eek:

Kat Frass
12-10-2007, 08:31 PM
I have one request of some people who use Blogger. Can you PLEASE turn on the option for non-Google/Blogger people to have a link-back? On the last 5 blogs I've commented on, I've only been able to put in my name... with no link-back to my blog. I'm pretty sure you can turn this on WITHOUT changing anything else.

It would just be a really nice way for your readers to find another new blog to read, and it helps to advertise my blog. For this carnival, I seem to be in the minority. Most people here are using Blogger... but I know that many many of us on the AW site do not use Blogger. We are all looking for ways to increase our traffic, and link-backs to our blog comments are a great way to achieve that.

Thanks everyone! And I am LOVING these flash fiction pieces!

madderblue
12-11-2007, 04:45 AM
Kat, I changed some settings but not sure if that did the trick or not. If anyone knows exactly what to do please post. I need to run out the door right now but will fiddle with it again later and see if I can figure it out.

Kat Frass
12-11-2007, 11:32 PM
madderblue,

Nope. The setting change didn't fix it. I'm starting to think that Blogger made a change that stops non-blogger accounts from putting in a link. I know for a fact that I used to be able to link my blog to my comments on Virginia's site. Now I can't. So.. I guess maybe it isn't a setting change after all... it is just Blogger being... um... Blogger. WAH! Oh well, it won't stop me from commenting .. it just stinks that I can't have a link back to my blog while I do it.

bsolah
12-12-2007, 03:40 AM
Yeah, Kate, could be an action for blogger to prevent spam comments which in turn screws us all.

bsolah
12-12-2007, 03:40 AM
Oh, I'll be in Melbourne from Friday to Tuesday so won't be able to use my weekend reading flash.

valeenc
12-12-2007, 04:08 AM
Don't forget to bring us all back presents! :D

I admit to being curious about what a Marxist horror writer would get for a group of flashers . . .

bsolah
12-12-2007, 04:16 AM
I admit to being curious about what a Marxist horror writer would get for a group of flashers . . .

lol, I'd probably bring you back books as I buy most people books, maybe some political fiction. I'm about to start reading The Jungle by Upton Sinclair and another political friend of mine recommended In the skin of the lion by Michael Ondaatje.

Or I could bring you a CEOs head on a silver platter ;) j/ks

madderblue
12-12-2007, 10:20 AM
I wanna souvinir too....um, a book please. Those heads are so messy and tend to smell after a week or two.

I actually got a free day tomorrow and am plannng on making the rounds and commenting more.

valeenc
12-18-2007, 12:06 AM
This is a reminder for participating folks who haven't finished (or started!) commenting on the flashes in the FFC III that the goal is to have your comments finished by the end of the year. Please don't procrastinate too much! :D Like me!!! :eek:

Also, I wanted to remind other people that the flashers are more than happy, in fact THRILLED to get feedback from people who did not join us in this round of the carnival.

Hmm, that's it. :banana: :e2bouncey :hooray:

DonnaDuck
12-24-2007, 12:08 AM
I've finally finished commenting! Now I just have to do the blog chain and the holiday ffc and I'm done! :e2thud:

valeenc
12-24-2007, 01:08 AM
I've finally finished commenting! Now I just have to do the blog chain and the holiday ffc and I'm done! :e2thud:

:e2dance::e2cheer::e2flowers:TheWave::heart: :hooray: :snoopy: :partyguy::Sun::e2bear::Thumbs: And last but not least, :Hail:. Honey, you're doing better than I am.

Bravo ! ! !

DonnaDuck
12-24-2007, 03:10 AM
Heehee! I try! Granted I spent pretty much all of today and yesterday at the computer catching up with everything that I haven't been able to get to this month. I think my ass has spread an inch or two.

Kat Frass
12-28-2007, 06:27 AM
OK.. .I'm finally done commenting! Thanks, Virginia, for all the hard work you put into this. It turned out GREAT! All of the stories were just amazing.

And now.. I need to START commenting on the Holiday Flash... UGH!

L M Ashton
12-29-2007, 06:15 AM
I haven't started commenting, but I haven't forgotten, either. It's been busy - relatives in town until tomorrow. But I will do it! :)

valeenc
12-31-2007, 09:48 PM
No worries, Laurie. :) I need to play catch up too. There are a few folks who haven't commented yet. I've given up on at least one of those, but there's another I have faith in still.

HAPPY NEW YEAR, btw, quidscribus! :banana:

L M Ashton
01-01-2008, 06:07 PM
Well, I've got a good start with seven done, but still more left to be done... Will continue tomorrow.

But... I also know I'm not the only one. There's something like five who haven't commented on mine yet, so... :)

valeenc
01-01-2008, 11:17 PM
Well, I'll get to it hon. I'm kind of laid out today. I blew out my back and can only sit up for a very few minutes at a time. Bleah.

I don't know about the other folks. I'm not their mama, but that's a good thing for everybody in the end. :D

Serena Casey
01-02-2008, 01:45 AM
Sorry to hear about your back, Virginia. Hope it heals soon! :Hug2:

valeenc
01-02-2008, 03:57 AM
Thanks, Serena. You're a sweetie! :Sun:

plaidearthworm
01-03-2008, 01:46 AM
What happened to the link in your sig? Yes, I'm lazy and just click people's links willy nilly while I'm on the blogging board. Now I have to go find your great blog the old-fashioned way! :e2paperba

Thanks, Serena. You're a sweetie! :Sun:

valeenc
01-03-2008, 03:21 AM
:eek: I fixed it, plaidearthworm. I didn't check it when I added the FFC blog URL and teenytinyme. Sorry for the inconvenience, hon!

DonnaDuck
01-03-2008, 04:39 AM
Added it to my reader. Although I'm skipping out on everything in January (nearly burnt myself out last month), I'm sure I'll be raring to go in February.

bsolah
01-04-2008, 12:16 PM
uh yeah, I'm still kind of here just been lacking motivation to do much at all lately. I will try to get myself together to comment.

L M Ashton
01-04-2008, 03:22 PM
I'm done! Finally! Sorry I took so long, but better late than never, right? :)

madderblue
01-04-2008, 03:32 PM
I think I'm half done or so. But I will finish up this week. I'm determined.