Anyone set themselves the final deadline?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I don't strap myself into self inflicted threats and ultimatums. It happens or it don't.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I don't strap myself into self inflicted threats and ultimatums. It happens or it don't.

True, but I imagine giving yourself that year would be a huge motivator for the days when the words don't want to come.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
After 2 years, I decided the thriller wouldn't attract dust, let alone an agent, so I set it aside, and started writing a mystery.

2 months later, the thriller landed me an agent.

Never give up. Never surrender. :)

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
Never give up. Never surrender. :)

By Grabthar's Hammer, if I haven't sold anything by September 2008 I will return to my previous career. I'll probably keep writing for fun, though.
I like setting myself mini deadlines also. It helps me treat writing like the profession I hope it will become.

JamieFord

giving resonant directions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamieford.com
Norman Maclean was 74 when he first published A River Runs Through It. I always figured I'd have time to get it right.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
I gave myself five years to sell a novel. Time's up in January, 2010.

Even if that doesn't happen, I'll probably keep writing because I've been selling short stuff all along. All of my kids will be in school by then, so if I don't start making a good part-time income, I'll probably go back to work doing something else, or forego the fiction for full-time freelancing. Or maybe I'll go to school. I guess it really depends on how much my husband is making and whether my income is needed or just a perk. All I know is that I have to be doing something productive, because hausfrau doesn't really suit me.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I don't do it, but my father insists I should do some "rotative agriculture" with my writing projects

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
I have another career that funds my time spent writing, so far as I see it, I just keep trying. I was tempted to set a deadline but then I thought, if I don't sell a book in a year (for example) then what? Not like I can stop writing even if I wanted to. Every time I try to set stuff aside, I get assailed by another idea.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I would like to point out that Piers Anthony gave himself a year off of work to sell something-- after years of honing his craft in other ways.

That's essentially what I'm giving myself. I quit working full time in... uh, around March of this year. We'll be moving April of next year. If I don't have an agent by then, I'll be looking for a job. Right now I have two good novels I'm shopping; by then I should have three. Honestly, if I can't sell any of them, I don't see why I should subject myself to the horrors of editing and cutting and refining my own work. I'll still write, sure, but I won't labor over it like I do now. It'll just be for my own entertainment. And yeah, I'll still try to get an agent, still try to get published. I just won't devote my entire life to it.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
What made me think of this (as well as the Piers Anthony story) was an entry I found in a diary from 1992. In a horribly embarrassing and over the top teenage fashion, I swore to myself I would have a book published by my 30th birthday.

Don't think I'll be making that deadline. :D

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
Yup, I think that's why I've never set myself a deadline. I didn't want to look back at it and feel like an ass. Sure, if you've quit your job to write, I suppose you need a deadline, although you'd think "when I run out of money" would work. Otherwise, I think it would be like setting a deadline for finding someone to marry.

What made me think of this (as well as the Piers Anthony story) was an entry I found in a diary from 1992. In a horribly embarrassing and over the top teenage fashion, I swore to myself I would have a book published by my 30th birthday.

Don't think I'll be making that deadline. :D

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
A writer I know did that. She gave herself a 6 month deadline to write and sell a novel or she would have to return to work. She wrote it in 3, sold it in 1, and now it's being made into a movie. Amazing. And she's written and published two more books since then.

She's a machine.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
A writer I know did that. She gave herself a 6 month deadline to write and sell a novel or she would have to return to work. She wrote it in 3, sold it in 1, and now it's being made into a movie. Amazing. And she's written and published two more books since then.

She's a machine.

:eek:

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score

She's a machine.

Could you tell your friend I, uh, hate her? :D

No, really, she's awesome.

WriterGirl2007

Black hole of writing...
Registered
Reaction score

She's a machine.

Umm... Wow.

As for the OP, I've never set a deadline like that. Life always seems to get messy with me and intrudes on my goals. Annoying!

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
I have about three days left before I have to commit seppuku.

Man, I hope my agent sells the novel I just sent her last week in the next three days.

:D

Righting

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chapteread.com
i really haven't set deadlines. i create goals and make them happen - i guess if it's what you love to do then it shall get done! :)

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com

Storyteller5

Say something...
Registered
Reaction score
I've never set an ultimatum like that. I've set deadlines for writing a certain amount (NaNoWri), for turnaround time after rejection letters, for completing revisions, but I'm not horribly rigid about it if I need to alter those goals. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.