Shamless plea for wishes of good luck!!!

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Some of you may know that hubby and I bought a house in April of this year. Since then, we've installed new plumbing and electrical wiring. The wiring kicked our butts all the way to...

Today, the day of our FINAL INSPECTION!!!!

We've only been able to work at the house on weekends, for the most part, so it's taken forever. Add to that the facts that we are not electricians and the state inspector is only in our area twice a week and viola! Six months fly by in a blink.

We really need to pass this inspection today. Wish me luck!!! :)

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Fingers and wires crossed!

-Derek

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Good LUCK, Carol with an E!

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've got four finger-crossings, two toe-crossings, and my face scrunched in a grotesque way with the intensity of my wishing.

Maryn, who'll cross her legs once she rolls this chair out from under the desk

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
Fingers crossed, candle lit! :)

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Much good luck, Carole and family. We certainly can relate about having to pass a house inspection. Hoping it'll work out aok!

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, no one else said it yet....

Shamless, huh? So, therefore, no SHAM involved?

Good luck, Carole.

And what happened to your curls?

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
SHAMLESS! Bah! I can't believe I did that! I really can't believe that I didn't notice it either!

Well, like everything else with this house, the final inspection wasn't easy! Everything went well until he saw one thing. ONE thing. But it was a big thing, of course. I had to rewire from the meter box to the breaker box. We did it correctly, but he failed to mention to me last time that I needed conduit from the meter box to the breaker box inside the wall. That wasn't really his fault, though. I told him that we were installing the meter box directly behind the breaker box. In reality, that would have made the meter too high for the electric company to read. So we lowered it a little, but then we had to run wire through the wall and then into the breaker box. It needed conduit. He told me that there was one other way to do it without having to wrestle with conduit inside the wall. I could buy MORE WIRE (Yay, because I love buying wire, you see.) but a different kind. I needed aluminum wire in a special sheath. 7' of it to make sure I had enough.

So at 3:30 today, when I could have been calling the electric company to schedule turning on the power, I had to run out to an electrical supply store because Lowe's doesn't carry that kind of wire. It started getting dark while I was rewiring everything so there I was, outside holding a flashlight with my mouth, wrestling with this horrendous, unfriendly wire. Did I mention that it was also raining? Did I also mention that I had to run to the hardware store before they closed to buy yet another inspection permit? I love spending money on the same thing over and over.

But the end result is this. He went through the house and said that everything looked great. He punched us on the meter box wire, but I fixed that. I hung the inspection permit in the foyer and he said that he'd come back Thursday to put a "passed" sticker on the meter box for the electric company.

So it's not quite over, but it's just a matter of him coming back Thursday. The sickest thing is that the wire I ripped out was copper. Three twisted bundles of thick, heavy-duty #1 copper. It cost a fortune, but now I'll only be able to get scrap money out of it at the salvage yard. That's nauseating. The aluminum wire only cost $35.

Something funny is now that this part is over, Mr. Vagabond is expressing interest in buying investment property. I can't fathom ever having to rewire another house. Ever.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Great news. By Thursday...power!

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
Yay, Carole!
I'm too late to offer you good luck, but I'll join in the yays :)

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
What a charming place! I know it is a lot of work now, but when you are finished, it will truly be your place, built with your own hands. That will be a wonderful feeling of accomplishment.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
It is wonderful. We fell in love the first time we saw this house.

I just found out that even if he passes us tomorrow, it will still be another 3-5 working days 'till we get electricity. There go my plans for stocking the fridge, having hot water and maybe even tossing in a frozen pizza this weekend. Boo! Nothing like taking it down to the very last nanosecond. I apparently thrive on that.