PDA

View Full Version : How do they tell you?

ymmatrysk
02-24-2005, 08:27 PM
This is probably a lame question, but generally how does an agent give you the good news? It occured to me that maybe I don't really *want* to be seeing my own SASE back, since they seem to be rejection vehicles. I know you can't make any kind of broad generality about this, but typically, would you phone someone that you decided you wanted to represent, email them (if that was how you had been trading exchanges up to that point), or would you really use their SASE for good news?

For those of you that are represented by agents, how did they contact you?

Thanks!
Ymma

Daughter of Faulkner
02-28-2005, 05:10 AM
is agent, editor, or publisher has always picked up the phone.
I usually talk for an hour and they listen save for every time I take a breath chime in with a question.

Always include an SASE, though. If you don't do this, they think you don't care enough about your ms to get it back. They aren't going to spend their $$ to send it back to you either. When I was an Editorial Assistant, my boss had me seperate the submissions without SASE and they were never picked up again, by anyone, including me!
That is the truth.

Sometimes the SASE is used to request more to read.

I believe what is most important is ONCE an agent offers representation, to check him / her out top to bottom, leave no page unturned, MAKE SURE this is the one for you. Be sure the agency is the real deal. Don't be swept off your feet because someone likes your work or tells your everything you want to hear rather be sure and sound in your judgement before you sign. Never send a penny either, never.

Check out Victoria Strauss' Writers Beware Site. She is a great help to have the low down and the thumbs up on Who's Who in the agenting world.
Best wishes to you!

Daughter of Faulkner
02-28-2005, 05:14 AM
Bewares and Background Check is the link on this board that Victoria S. moderates.

azbikergirl
02-28-2005, 05:59 PM
When I was an Editorial Assistant, my boss had me seperate the submissions without SASE and they were never picked up again, by anyone, including me!
Is this true even when the writer requests that the materials be recycled? It's not like the ms can be sent elsewhere -- it'll look "used" -- and writers will have to reprint it anyway. (Presuming that at least a #10 SASE is included to mail back a letter.)

Daughter of Faulkner
02-28-2005, 08:02 PM
was toss it to the trash after 90 days. I suppose they may have tossed the ms into bins of paper for some sort of recycling but that was not the norm.
Why? I cannot answer that but that is what happened.

Although sometimes you can resubmit the same reading sample because it's so crisp and fresh looking--a sign it was either never held by anyone or they only read the first page. I like to hit "print" when I send out a new sample too.
I don't know what is the longtime reasoning behind the SASE for return but that is the way it is done for now. Perhaps for backup and being able to say or argue that no one stole your idea.

Final thought--Either an agent or an editor likes you after the first page or they don't. That is why it is of the utmost importance to grab them at once.
I used to read the first page and knew exactly whose box to put the ms in. And even if I liked it that meant nothing to them other than YOU like it.
It is a tough business but once you find your place it will all be worth it!

Best wishes to you azerbikergirl!