PDA

View Full Version : Stolen, right under my nose...

maestrowork
11-13-2007, 12:15 AM
OK, not literally under my nose, but close enough. I left my pair of sunglasses on the table at Panera Bread and went to get my food. When I came back, the sunglasses were gone. Wow, that was quick. That has never happened to me before; it's incredible. Funny thing is I also left my cell phone on the table. Whoever swiped my glasses didn't take the phone. They must have really liked how I looked with my sunglasses on that they had to have them.

Now my sense of security is ruined. I've never felt unsafe about leaving my stuff lying around before. I even leave my locker unlocked at the gym. I guess this is sort of a wake-up call for me: there are thieves everywhere.

III
11-13-2007, 12:17 AM
Didn't you just get your cell phone stolen from the gym when you left it there a few weeks ago?

Siddow
11-13-2007, 12:17 AM
I used to leave my car running in the parking lots of convienence stores until I moved to LA.

Sorry about your glasses. Were they very expensive?

maestrowork
11-13-2007, 12:21 AM
Didn't you just get your cell phone stolen from the gym when you left it there a few weeks ago?

Correction, I didn't leave it there. I thought I dropped it at the gym but actually I had no idea where it disappeared, but the last time I used it was at the gym's lobby. I just thought if I had left it at the gym someone would have taken it to L&F, but no such luck -- whoever found it actually used it, then (presumably) sold it.

Sorry about your glasses. Were they very expensive?

$25.

What pissed me off was there were all kinds of people there, so they must have seen it happen, but no one paid attention or they didn't say anything.

III
11-13-2007, 12:23 AM
Have you ruled out the possibility of a stalker or an elf or possibly a stalker elf?

Shadow_Ferret
11-13-2007, 12:35 AM
Sweet. These are the nice sunglasses I've ever owned.

melaniehoo
11-13-2007, 12:37 AM
Stalker ferret.

maestrowork
11-13-2007, 12:38 AM
I thought I smelled a rat...

III
11-13-2007, 12:39 AM
I found them! I caught this fat, old Englishman running out of the store with them . . .

http://www.marstalent.com/marssouth/pics/elton_lee.jpg

Jaycinth
11-13-2007, 12:43 AM
Ray. The problem is you. You are too nice. Where ever you go people say, "There is ONE NICE TRUSTING GUY!!!"

and then the weevils start to stalk you.

I can help you with that, Ray.

For the simple fee of $99.99 and an additional $49.99 per month, I can make sure your tea is weevil free!

Voyager
11-13-2007, 12:43 AM
Hey! That's my wig...the bastard!

maestrowork
11-13-2007, 12:45 AM
Those aren't my glasses. But the hair does look familiar.

Shadow_Ferret
11-13-2007, 01:20 AM
I thought I smelled a rat...Ha!

That reminds me of when my Algebra teacher was doing some problem on the board and he was misdoing it on purpose and he goes, "I smell a rat." And I said, "It's probably your breath bouncing off the blackboard."

I spent a lot of time in the Vice-Principal's office in high school.

KTC
11-13-2007, 01:25 AM
Suspect#1 http://claycoyote.com/blog/uploaded_images/Bread-749936.jpg

brokenfingers
11-13-2007, 01:27 AM
Are you sure they aren't on your head?

auntybug
11-13-2007, 01:31 AM
Are you sure they aren't on your head?

No. The last time he did that his balls itched for a week. Bad reaction to the polarized lenses.

kristie911
11-13-2007, 01:51 AM
No. The last time he did that his balls itched for a week. Bad reaction to the polarized lenses.

:roll:

maestrowork
11-13-2007, 01:55 AM
You're polarizing this thread. This ain't TIO.

KTC
11-13-2007, 01:57 AM
http://www.polarizedoptics.com/catalog/images/yp%20445%20spPOLARIZED%20OPTICS%20PICS%20NEW%20023 .jpg The are polarized too. Maybe the thread can wear them.

maestrowork
11-13-2007, 02:08 AM
I don't look at the world with piss-colored glasses.

KTC
11-13-2007, 02:09 AM
I don't look at the world with piss-colored glasses.

apparently, you don't look at the world through glasses at all. Any more.

auntybug
11-13-2007, 02:10 AM
I withdraw the comment.

I was already questioned on how I knew that information...

coughs *nasty rumor* into hand.

III
11-13-2007, 02:10 AM
apparently, you don't look at the world through glasses at all. Any more.

Burn!

maestrowork
11-13-2007, 02:13 AM
I have a second pair in the car. Nyer nyer nyer.

melaniehoo
11-13-2007, 02:14 AM
That's what you think.

KTC
11-13-2007, 02:15 AM
I have a second pair in the car. Nyer nyer nyer.

Damn. I hate well prepared people. The burns don't stick.

KTC
11-13-2007, 02:15 AM
Burn!

That's what she said.

auntybug
11-13-2007, 02:17 AM
That's what you think.
:ROFL:

maestrowork
11-13-2007, 02:22 AM
You're all jealous of my genius™.

III
11-13-2007, 02:36 AM
You're all jealous of my genius™.

And your superior Asian sweat glands.

maestrowork
11-13-2007, 02:42 AM
And your superior Asian sweat glands.

Perfect anecdote for the thread title...

SpookyWriter
11-13-2007, 03:03 AM
OK, not literally under my nose I didn't know you had a nose. How do you keep the sun glasses on? If you had sun glasses that is...

ErylRavenwell
11-13-2007, 10:20 AM
OK, not literally under my nose, but close enough. I left my pair of sunglasses on the table at Panera Bread and went to get my food. When I came back, the sunglasses were gone. Wow, that was quick. That has never happened to me before; it's incredible. Funny thing is I also left my cell phone on the table. Whoever swiped my glasses didn't take the phone. They must have really liked how I looked with my sunglasses on that they had to have them.

Now my sense of security is ruined. I've never felt unsafe about leaving my stuff lying around before. I even leave my locker unlocked at the gym. I guess this is sort of a wake-up call for me: there are thieves everywhere.

On the bright side, your "sense of security is ruined", which is actually a good thing, believe it or not. :)

Maryn
11-13-2007, 05:40 PM
Wow, you leave your locker unlocked, your shades on the table, and such? This level of trust of your fellow man is pretty foolhardy, because they don't deserve it. What surprises me is not that someone ripped you off and nobody said a thing, but that it doesn't happen a couple of times a week.

Long ago when Mr. Maryn was in the hospital, the nursing staff told us not to give him more than $2-3 at a time, or a nice pen, or a Discman and CDs, etc., because when the patient was out for tests, sleeping, or twenty feet away in the bathroom puking from the chemo, these things would be stolen. In pediatric oncology, they told us, dolls and stuffed animals were stolen. Like having cancer in childhood wasn't bad enough, someone has to take your lovey?

Mr. Maryn had a laptop from work, and it was literally chained to the bed. More than once, we saw evidence someone had given the chain a good yank, just to see if it would hold.

Maryn, disgusted by her fellow humans

maestrowork
11-13-2007, 09:28 PM
Well, you learn the hard way. I got a lock for my locker, and I'm not leaving my stuff out of sight no matter how innocuous the place looks. I wish I hadn't had to do any of that. I'm a relatively trusting person but time and again people failed me. For example, I'd always thought Toronto was a safe city until my car was broken into (and a cell phone taken from the glove compartment) in a parking garage. I know I should have learned my lesson but, well, I guess I'm naive to believe people will behave. But wow, this was an eye-opener for me. I couldn't have been away from my table for more than a minute and nobody said a thing.

SpookyWriter
11-13-2007, 09:33 PM
Well, you learn the hard way. I got a lock for my locker, and I'm not leaving my stuff out of sight no matter how innocuous the place looks. I wish I hadn't had to do any of that. I'm a relatively trusting person but time and again people failed me. For example, I'd always thought Toronto was a safe city until my car was broken into (and a cell phone taken from the glove compartment) in a parking garage. I know I should have learned my lesson but, well, I guess I'm naive to believe people will behave. But wow, this was an eye-opener for me. I couldn't have been away from my table for more than a minute and nobody said a thing.Let me get this straight. You are at a burger joint and someone steals your sun glasses, but leave the cell phone.

Luckily you had a spare set of sun glasses in your glove box.

Previously, someone broke into your car and stole your cell phone but left the sun glasses.

What's wrong with people? They're messing with you Ray. They should have stolen both the sun glasses and cell phone instead of leaving you with some hope that people are good by nature.