• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Requesting private crit of women's fiction idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serena Casey

User Titles Rock
Registered
Reaction score
Website
serenacasey.com
I have not started actually writing this book, but it's an idea that's been rolling around in my head (mostly unaccompanied) for a while now. I'm too skeered to post it publicly, so I'll PM it to anyone interested in giving me their opinions.

I'm mostly interested in getting feedback from those who read and/or write women's fiction, because I need to know if the story idea has been done to death. Also, if you read my "synopsis" on a book flap, would you look into the book further?

It's 250 words. Please PM me if interested. I'd be glad to do the same in return. I can't commit to full ms reading right now, but if I can crit a synopsis or a chapter or two for you in return, that can certainly be arranged. :)

It's late here, so I may not answer many tonight, but tomorrow for sure. Thanks!

Serena Casey

User Titles Rock
Registered
Reaction score
Website
serenacasey.com
HURRY! ACT NOW! YOU CAN STILL GET IN ON THIS LIMITED TIME OFFER!

Just kidding. :D Seriously, though, I still would welcome any PMs regarding my post above. Thanks!

Gray Rose

Beware of the Thorns!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
roselemberg.net
Serena, I am not sure if people responded to your message meanwhile, but I just wanted to say that there is no way to judge a book's promise from 250 words of plot idea. There are very few completely original plots out there. Themes and ideas tend to repeat. And it's fine.

What matters is your writing. If you have believable, sympathetic characters, a great plot, solid description skills and brisk dialogue, your book will be successful. When I read a blurb on the back of a book in the store, I know that it has the above elements to a degree deemed satisfactory by the publisher.

For women's fiction, it is also very important to convey emotions, and there is no way of knowing whether your book does that from a 250 word blurb.

Hope that helps. I think you should sit down and begin writing, and if you still feel unsure, post your work in one of the SYW forums.

best of luck with your writing,
Rose

Serena Casey

User Titles Rock
Registered
Reaction score
Website
serenacasey.com
Hi Rose, thank you very much for your great advice. I was just afraid of putting months and months of time and brain power into something that might immediately be circular-filed because "we've had 63 googolzillion submissions on this topic this week alone." It's a story I'd be interested in writing anyway, but probably wouldn't if I was going to be the only one to ever read it, just for time considerations alone.

I'm coming across this problem in my day job, graphic design. I frequent some design forums, and someone will post a logo they made, and 10 people will jump on him and say how overused the concept is, overdone, played out, etc., etc. And I'm thinking - hey, I thought it was creative and clever and I've never seen anything like it before! Where've I been? So I figure I could be pretty naive as to what's out there in writing, too. Our library is pretty teeny. :)

Long story short (too late) I did get some responses to my original post, and I want to thank them so much for their input; it was very helpful. And thanks again, Rose. And Bufty. (I'm sure it was an excellent post before it went poof!)

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Kind of you to think so, Serena. I deleted it when I spotted you were a long time member and I didn't want to appear to be telling you to suck eggs. It was really pretty much the same as Rose's.

Ideas are ten a penny - it's how the idea is developed and how the story and characters are written which makes the difference. In other words it's the writing which is the dominant factor. It's pretty unlikely a core plot idea will be 100% original, but perfectly possible for the characters to be totally original and engaging in their actions and reactions etc..

I'm sure the same applies in design - a particular concept may be overworked but a masterly interpretation and execution of it can be brilliant and make it a success regardless.

Good luck.:Hug2:

Serena Casey

User Titles Rock
Registered
Reaction score
Website
serenacasey.com
Thanks, Bufty. Of course you are right. Yours and Rose's advice, plus the feedback I got via PM, was more than enough to convince me that it's worth writing. Whether I'll make a success of it remains to be seen. But I will say this: you were one of the first to critique a prologue I put up in SYW last year, and I'll never forget that you said "you have a very strong grasp on the art of writing." You don't know how encouraging those words have been to me! (You had some actual criticism, too, but you know I ignored that part :D) A girl never forgets her first critters. ;)

Gray Rose

Beware of the Thorns!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
roselemberg.net
Hi Rose, thank you very much for your great advice. I was just afraid of putting months and months of time and brain power into something that might immediately be circular-filed because "we've had 63 googolzillion submissions on this topic this week alone."

So I figure I could be pretty naive as to what's out there in writing, too. Our library is pretty teeny. :)

Long story short (too late) I did get some responses to my original post, and I want to thank them so much for their input; it was very helpful. And thanks again, Rose. And Bufty. (I'm sure it was an excellent post before it went poof!)

Serena, I think we are all on some level afraid of pouring our souls and endless hours onto pages only to find out, later, that the plot isn't worth anything. However, just as it is very possible to spoil a great idea by crappy writing, a mediocre or "tired" idea can be made great. In my genre, vampires have been done to death, and yet they keep coming back from the grave ;)

As for people going, "we've had 63 googolzillion submissions on this topic", it helped me tremendously to look in SYW under Query Letter and Critique. A lot of rejections come because of badly written queries; on the other hand, a well-written query will teach you a lot about the kid of book that looks like a winner.

As writers, it's part of our job to overcome insecurities and get our BIC. Even if the book isn't published, you won't end up feeling you've wasted your time if you're passionate about your work. And if you're not, why bother writing (IMHO). There are many different ways to earn money that are much less painful to the ego.

As for a small library, again, this is just my opinion, but it is very important to read widely, and it's very important to read in your genre as much as possible. You should check if your library has interlibrary loan :)

Best of luck,
Rose

Last edited:

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
I understand what she's saying, though. There are plotlines that have been done to death, especially following books that were wildly popular. Some plots could be seen as yet another knockoff and would have to have the query to end all queries or some sort of unique hook to even be considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.