PDA

View Full Version : Driving

III
11-10-2007, 09:34 PM
Let's put the old adage that all of us believe we're above average drivers to the test, shall we?

rhymegirl
11-10-2007, 09:48 PM
Let's put the old adage that all of us believe we're above average drivers to the test, shall we?

I'm a perfect driver.

And if I do get pulled over by a cop, I just bat my eyelashes at him.

scarletpeaches
11-10-2007, 09:51 PM
I can't drive, so I won't be posting in this thread.

joetrain
11-10-2007, 09:56 PM
i put average. i was about to put above, but then i thought of those people who drive/race as a hobby. i ain't that good. but, since my reckless 17-21 years, i'd say i'm above the average american commuter skills.

maestrowork
11-10-2007, 10:01 PM
I'm slightly better than average. I drive a sports car but I haven't had an accident in almost 20 years (the last accident: I was hit by a drunk driver making an illegal U-turn). No tickets either. However, when I'm tired, I get careless, and I've been known to cut people off when I didn't mean to.

p.s. the stereotype is true, however, that Asians are generally bad drivers. If you don't believe me, go to any Chinatown. I was so pissed off every time I visit my parents in LA -- they're in their expensive BMWs or Mercedes and could drive worth crap.

dpaterso
11-10-2007, 10:02 PM
When James Bond hits the brakes and blubbers like a little schoolboy because he's too scared to continue, MI6 calls me.

-Derek

mum23
11-10-2007, 10:11 PM
I voted as an average driver. I have been done for speeding. Well, you can't listen to Guns n Roses (sweet child o mine) while dawdling at 30 miles an hour can you?

Shadow_Ferret
11-10-2007, 10:31 PM
It always amazes me that everyone is above average or average and yet when I'm on the road everyone around me drives like crap.

Siddow
11-10-2007, 10:37 PM
I drive a minivan. Where's the option for 'drives like a grandma'?

JoNightshade
11-10-2007, 11:28 PM
I have a new car. I drive very, very carefully.

eodmatt
11-10-2007, 11:44 PM
Heh heh heh, hardly anyone admits to being a below average driver, male or female! I learned to drive in the army and failed my first driving test in a Landrover for speeding. After that I learned to drive tanks - 52 tons and 53 feet long (bridgelayer) - that involved a road driving test, a night driving test and a cross country driving test. Then they taught me controlled driving at speed under a blue light. Now that is dangerous, because there is no room for error and you have to allow for everyone else to make errors. If you have an accident whilst using the blue light it is almost automatically your fault. You wouldn't believe the number of recti who will tailgate you at high speed whilst you are ploughing your way through heavy motorway traffic, leaving a momentary furrow of empty road behind you. If only they knew that with their hood a yard behind my tail, they were only 6 feet away from 14 kilos of high explosive. But I am conscious of the fact that my reactions aren't as fast as they used to be these days and drive accordingly.

Shady Lane
11-10-2007, 11:47 PM
Below average. I'm still learning.

kristie911
11-11-2007, 12:02 AM
I have a new car. I drive very, very carefully.

Me too...except for when I backed into my mailbox a couple weeks ago. I felt so dumb when I did that.

I've never had a ticket and (other than the mailbox incident and a couple car/deer accidents) I haven't had an accident in 16 years. When I was 16 I rolled my truck because I was driving like an idiot.

That said, I do think I'm an above average driver. I see how other people drive and I'm way better than they are! :D

And, no, I don't count car/deer accidents because both times they ran into the side of my vehicle and there's just not much you can do about that...it has nothing to do with skill, it's just being in the wrong place at the wrong time, at least for the deer! :)

KTC
11-11-2007, 12:05 AM
I answered ABOVE because I am ABOVE. Anybody who can write, read and drive...while drinking a grande latte...is obviously better than the average driver.

kristie911
11-11-2007, 12:10 AM
I answered ABOVE because I am ABOVE. Anybody who can write, read and drive...while drinking a grande latte...is obviously better than the average driver.

I can beat you...I used to be able to shift, eat and talk on my cellphone while driving. Of course, where I live there isn't much traffic to dodge. ;)

KTC
11-11-2007, 12:11 AM
I can beat you...I used to be able to shift, eat and talk on my cellphone while driving. Of course, where I live there isn't much traffic to dodge. ;)

I use my OnStar for phone calls. I can't turn the pages with a phone in my hand.

clockwork
11-11-2007, 12:21 AM

I use my OnStar for phone calls. I can't turn the pages with a phone in my hand.

Good God, I hope you're kidding.

KTC
11-11-2007, 12:23 AM
Good God, I hope you're kidding.

Well. I either read or write. Never both at the same time, AssHat. I'm not mad.

clockwork
11-11-2007, 12:41 AM
Well. I either read or write. Never both at the same time, AssHat.

Well, you know, I just picture people at the pearly gates with St. Peter saying, "So... you died in a car accident because you were (anything) and driving. Wow, are you stupid."

I guess this is just a subject very close to my heart. I run a road safety programme at work and we've had four kids killed on the roads in our town, one of which was my brother's best friend. I don't even know how to quantify how I feel about it except to say that of all the places in the world that people can die, nobody should ever have to suffer the indignity of dying in a car.

I'm ten years without a ticket or accident, thank Christ. 'Course, none of that matters when you get hit by some jackass not paying attention to the road.

I'm not mad.

Me either. But I sure as hell will be if you have an accident you could have avoided. :rant:

(lecture over - sorry)

KTC
11-11-2007, 12:45 AM
Um....I was kidding. I was 20 years without an accident until last year when a woman who was doing stuff other than driving went through a stop sign and ripped right into me. I saw her face about 2 seconds before impact. She was smiling. She didn't even know she was about to jacknife my SUV. I was only kidding. I drive.

Sign me,
Crazy...not mad.

KTC
11-11-2007, 12:46 AM
And hey...the AssHat Supreme username was suppose to be a secret. And...it was Mr. AssHat Supreme.

clockwork
11-11-2007, 12:48 AM
Um....I was kidding. I was 20 years without an accident until last year when a woman who was doing stuff other than driving went through a stop sign and ripped right into me. I saw her face about 2 seconds before impact. She was smiling. She didn't even know she was about to jacknife my SUV. I was only kidding. I drive.

Sign me,
Crazy...not mad.

Apologies.

These days it's very difficult to tell when people are kidding about what they choose to do while driving.

KTC
11-11-2007, 12:49 AM
I guess it's not always funny to joke about it either. I humbly step out of thread...

clockwork
11-11-2007, 12:58 AM
Yeah, I'm off to watch that dog video again. ;)

JLCwrites
11-11-2007, 12:58 AM
Above average because the average driver is pretty bad, so it really doesn't take much for me to be better.

Other evidence to my driving awesomeness....

*I had a perfect score on my DMV test recently.

*I broke a Pole Position record before I could legally drive. (for you young whipersnappers... that's an arcade game.)

*I am always teaching my husband how to drive. (He is my Padawan student)

Shadow_Ferret
11-11-2007, 01:04 AM
Good God, I hope you're kidding.Sheesh. C'mon. You couldn't tell he was kidding?

You couldn't tell?

He said: I answered ABOVE because I am ABOVE. Anybody who can write, read and drive...while drinking a grande latte...is obviously better than the average driver.

And you couldn't tell?

Good God, I hope your kidding.

clockwork
11-11-2007, 01:31 AM
Sheesh. C'mon. You couldn't tell he was kidding?

You couldn't tell?

He said: I answered ABOVE because I am ABOVE. Anybody who can write, read and drive...while drinking a grande latte...is obviously better than the average driver.

And you couldn't tell?

Good God, I hope your kidding.

You couldn't tell that I couldn't tell he was kidding? You really couldn't? You just had to ask to be sure? Nah. I'm pretty sure you could. But in case you missed it, I refer you to one of my previous posts (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1802981&postcount=22) which should have explained everything.

BTW - if you're going to echo my words back at me in that deliciously clever way you did, you could at least spell them correctly. :rolleyes:

KTC
11-11-2007, 01:39 AM
I knew Chris was kidding about my kidding. Chris is like that. He kids my kids.

akiwiguy
11-11-2007, 01:44 AM
I voted myself average. I'm sure I have some days where, through stress or tiredness or whatever, my attention is not quite what it should be. And I'm quite convinced that a lot of drivers who consder themselves "excellent" are oblivious to bad habits that stick out to everyone else who is accomodating them on the road.

My MIL drove me a few kilometres to the airport once, and I swear that within minutes I was hanging onto my seat wondering how the hell she has remained alive for as long as she has. No road sense at all, and although she wasn't aware of it, there were cars actually having to slam on their brakes as she made sudden lane-changes etc. It was freaky. The point is, she'd have thought all was fine because of her own ignorance of what was going on around her.

I have my own kind of definition of "bad" drivers... they're the ones whose driving is starting to absorb all of my attention, and rather than being able to maintain a wider sense of everything around me, I'm having to totally focus on their next move. One habit I loathe is tail-gating, especially over long distances on the open road. There is something unsettling about flicking ones eyes up to the rear-view mirror every few seconds and seeing the grill of a car about three feet up your ass.

Incidentally I read a disturbing article recently. We don't have "drugs" testing on our roads yet, but they ran a trial a while back. One in six drivers were under the influence of drugs, and when interviewed many of the drivers out of it on P (meth) said things like "I have supernatural powers that allow me to know which red lights I can crash." Charming!

Shadow_Ferret
11-11-2007, 02:17 AM
You couldn't tell that I couldn't tell he was kidding? You really couldn't? You just had to ask to be sure? Nah. I'm pretty sure you could. But in case you missed it, I refer you to one of my previous posts (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1802981&postcount=22) which should have explained everything.

Um. Yeah, that was the one that made me think you weren't kidding about kidding him about his kidding.

Danger Jane
11-11-2007, 05:08 AM
I'm a FLAWLESS driver when you consider my friends :tongue

Pat~
11-11-2007, 05:46 AM
I'm actually a pretty good driver, but I just checked average, because I have a slight tendency to speed. (I'm presently on probation/deferred adjudication 'til January :(). I'm not intentionally speeding, I just get preoccupied and don't notice that needle creeping up.

I do have excellent reflexes though, and have never caused an accident. (If that counts for anything...)

III
11-12-2007, 04:07 AM
That is indeed a pretty lopsided bell curve we got goin' on.

KTC
11-12-2007, 04:10 AM
Curves are lopsided. That's why I keep banging into them while I'm trying to parallel park. Oh wait...those are called curbs.

Captain Scarf
11-12-2007, 04:35 AM
I have every confidence that I will eventually become a fairly good driver, when I can afford more lessons.

I've got the 'making the car go' bit but the 'stopping' is still a bit hazy.

However, my Joanna trusts me to push her wheelchair so I can't be too bad. . .

Can't I?

threedogpeople
11-12-2007, 05:24 AM
Average because I tend to be hyper-safe and always assume that the other driver may do something stupid; plus, I have lots of stiffness in my neck looking to the left so I have to be extra careful. read my profile if you want to know "why".

Plus, I'm a creature of habit and tend to have 'paths' that I very seldom vary from; one path to physio, one path to the grocery, etc.

Jaycinth
11-12-2007, 07:44 PM
Considering the area in which I drive regularly, I feel I am an above average driver because, so far I haven't hit anything. My last accident was 19 years ago, and it wasn't my fault.

In addition, I feel I qualify because, as much as I have wanted to, not once have I gotten out of my car and beaten the fear of God into the people I allow to drive on MY streets.

I haven't followed them home either.

Really!

GeorgeK
11-12-2007, 07:56 PM
I can't drive, so I won't be posting in this thread.

Interesting, it was because I can't drive that I voted above average. Legally I can drive, but I don't because most days I don't feel like I'd be safe. The best drivers know when not to drive.

GeorgeK
11-12-2007, 08:01 PM
One habit I loathe is tail-gating, especially over long distances on the open road. !

The emergency lights look like brake lights to people unfamiliar with the car. If that doesn't get them to stop, I'd simply ease my foot off the accelerator and slow down to about 10 miles per hour below the speed limit. They'll pass.

C.bronco
11-12-2007, 08:06 PM
I'm an excellent driver, even more so than rain man. I am always on the lead lap, and I only bump draft if it's absolutely necessary.

III
11-12-2007, 08:19 PM
I'm an excellent driver, even more so than rain man. I am always on the lead lap, and I only bump draft if it's absolutely necessary.

You're such a Nascar geek, Cynthia :tongue

C.bronco
11-12-2007, 08:32 PM
It's so true! And, I won the pole.