Status
Not open for further replies.

Branwyn

Print release:Sept.1,'09
Registered
Reaction score
I'm having a senior, blonde moment.

Is this punctuated correctly?

Smooth skin covered rippled muscles and their silky, oiled physiques wearing miniscule costumes, caught everyone’s attention.

Thanks

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
I think I would take issue with the way the sentence is written, before I would worry about the puncuation. "Silky" applied to physique is somewhat misplaced. We have:

smooth
rippled
oily
silky
miniscule

...all appearing in the same sentence.

How about something along the lines of:

Their smooth, oily skin betrayed rippling muscles underneath, and the sheerness of the costumes caught everyone's attention. (Only dropped one there).

Their muscular physiques shone with an oily vitality, threatening to burst from the miniscule costumes. All eyes were upon them.

Branwyn, I'm just fooling around here trying to convey what you're saying in a different way.

Are these aliens or creatures of some type? I wish I knew the setup. Are these little beings?

Tri

FennelGiraffe

It's green they say
Registered
Reaction score
Smooth skin covered rippled muscles and their silky, oiled physiques wearing miniscule costumes, caught everyone’s attention.
I agree with triceretops that the sentence needs work. It took me several read-throughs before I could parse the meaning well enough to assess the punctuation.

As written, however, the punctuation is not correct. The comma after 'costumes' shouldn't be there. I think a comma is needed after 'muscles', but that depends on whether I'm parsing 'skin covered' the way you intend.
Smooth skin covered rippled muscles, and their silky, oiled physiques wearing miniscule costumes caught everyone’s attention.

Branwyn

Registered
Reaction score
okay--here's more...

Artificial light gave the three dancing figures on stage the macabre look of corpses and Raven knew corpses. Monotonous shades of gray spread everywhere, darker in the corners where secrets hid. She should be used to it; the dreary color surrounded her daily. Still, Raven longed for the vibrant jewel tones of the autumn season.
However, these three dancing works of art were far from
dead. They were very much alive and Raven took note of that fact, intensely. Smooth skin covered rippled muscles and their silky, oiled physiques wearing miniscule costumes, caught everyone’s attention.

If you could call them costumes.

The formats--screwy--sorry.
Thanks

absitinvidia

A bit of a wallflower
Registered
Reaction score
I'd rewrite the sentence, although I have to admit silky oiled muscles in wee costumes would get my attention as well.

;-)

Ziljon

Tortilla di Patate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daviddepalo.com
They were very much alive and Raven took note of that fact, intensely. Smooth skin covered rippled muscles and their silky, oiled physiques wearing miniscule costumes, caught everyone’s attention.

I think the confusion comes from "wearing." How's this:

Smooth skin covered rippled muscles and their silky, oiled physiques, clad in miniscule costumes, caught everyone’s attention.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
Just to answer the question...

Two grammatical issues: the comma, and the physiques wearing costumes. Your physique doesn't wear your clothes any more than your tan does :)

ETA: I'd say your physique doesn't get to be clad either. Your body can, though.

Having said that, I'd vote for rewrite too. It's a lovely image, but right now the words are getting in the way a bit.

Branwyn

Registered
Reaction score
One alternative in the dictionary is;

1. constitution of the human body 2. alternative names for the body of a human being;

I do like this better.

Smooth skin covered rippled muscles and their silky, oiled physiques, clad in miniscule costumes, caught everyone’s attention.

Thanks~

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
It's true, "physique" can mean "body", but it's got connotations that profile the constitution anyway.

You wouldn't say, "My physique aches all over" for example. It just... doesn't work.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
It's the problem with dictionaries. They don't give us usage context.

Silly dictionaries.

Did you rewrite the sentence? I'm curious about the semi-nekkid hot people :)

arodriguez

Renegade
Registered
Reaction score
The scantily clad dancers writhed sinuously, muscle rippling beneath their oiled, silky-smooth skin, mesmerizing all who watched.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
MinUscule.

Also, that sentence's syntax indicates that the "physiques" belong to the "muscles". It would be much clearer as two sentences.

However, these three dancing works of art were far from dead. They were very much alive and Raven took note of that fact, intensely. Smooth skin covered rippled muscles. Their silky, oiled physiques, clad in minuscule costumes, caught everyone’s attention.

I also think that "rippling muscles" is better than "rippled muscles", in terms of accuracy of description. Even so, it's a bit of a cliche--maybe a noun ("ridges of muscle"? "crisp planes of muscle"?) might be a little more effective?

I really like how strongly you focus on visual and tactile imagery here. That has the capacity to be really powerful, so it's probably worth tweaking it until it feels just right to you.

arodriguez

Renegade
Registered
Reaction score
i don't think "smooth skin covering rippled muscles" makes sense.
I know what is implied, but it gives me the impression the skin is moving, not the muscle. The muscle moves underneath the skin. if we can see the muscle moving beneath the skin of these scantily clad dancers, then we assume that a well formed physique is what we are seeing.
Also, most importantly, "rippled" muscle implies that the muscle is in a frozen state and has stopped rippling while the other observations in the sentence are made.

Minuscule is not appropriate either in my opinion, because i don't know how much skin is actually being revealed. So in my edit:

The scantily clad dancers writhed sinuously, muscle rippling beneath their oiled, silky-smooth skin, mesmerizing all who watched.

the provacative dancing is what the audience is paying attention to. If you want to be more precise and read that the audience is focusing on the exposed flesh, you have to be more specific.

Status
Not open for further replies.