Better the devil you know, than . . .

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,,2208411,00.html

One Democratic supporter, Senator Dianne Feinstein, said the choice was "whether to confirm Michael Mukasey as the next attorney general or whether to leave the department of justice without a real leader for the next 14 months". "This is the only chance we have," she said, referring to Bush's threat to appoint an acting attorney general not subject to senate confirmation.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/09/washington/09cnd-mukasey.html?hp

Senator Dianne Feinstein, Democrat of California, said she was confident that Mr. Mukasey would be nonpartisan and that his refusal to make a judgment on torture without knowing all the facts of interrogation policy should not keep him from the post.
“This man has been a judge for 18 years,” said Ms. Feinstein, who along with Mr. Schumer provided the key supporting votes to push Mr. Mukasey through the Judiciary Committee. “Maybe he likes to consider the facts before he makes a decision.”

1st I googled "new attorney general" and got the guardian article (UK) and then I googled Mukasey and got the NYTimes article. So I guess you can't even get to the Major American Media news unless you already know it.? Notice the difference in the report facts in the two articles?

But here's the thing that bothers me: MM was (apparently) only confirmed because the savy amongst the Senate knew that Bush would fill the position with an appointee and they (felt? knew?) that it is better to deal with the devil you know rather than the devil that you don't know. (I am not the sharpest crayon in the box when it comes to politics, but I "got' that and I guess I would have voted for him too. My PolWiz says that those who voted "no" were just Covering Their Ass. So doesn't it seem as though the Pinball Machine is on "Tilt" yet the game goes on? [meaning = if the system of checks and balances is so off-kilter how can anything that gets done be considered to be according to the law?] Are we not dangerously close to falling into the abyss of lawlessness? Or has this been the case for many years and I just haven't noticed?:cry:

Last edited:

WittyandorIronic

Registered
Reaction score
MMmmm... I also don't know off the top of my head, but hasn't bush attempted to appoint like 10 different people to the position and been stonewalled each and every time. I am not claiming they were all appropriate to the position...but at what point does Congress say, "okay, we made our own bed..."
Oh wait. never. heh.

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
Seems to me Pelosi and company just lost another very public battle. They are so ineffective and incompetent.

Sure, they used the occasion to vilify republicans in general and Bush in particular. But for all their posturing, the give the guy the go-ahead.

The just demonstrated the worst of grand-standing partisan politics.

InfinityGoddess

Goddess of Infinity
Registered
Reaction score
Website
infinitygoddess.net
Seems to me Pelosi and company just lost another very public battle. They are so ineffective and incompetent.

Sure, they used the occasion to vilify republicans in general and Bush in particular. But for all their posturing, the give the guy the go-ahead.

The just demonstrated the worst of grand-standing partisan politics.

Hence why sites like DailyKos are working on primary challenges against Democrats of the Chuck Schumer/Diane Feinstein/ Rahm Emanuel/ Steny Hoyer ilk. Because they are ineffective.

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
Chuck and Di ain't so bad. They too are the devils we know.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score

Not really. GWB has a bit more than a year left in office, most of which will sink slowly into the swamp of ineffectiveness. Dems have made their point, again pointing out the tortured hypocritical rhetoric of water-boarding and torture, and can say they have. Mukasey probably is better than any other place-holder Bush is likely to propose (can you say, Harriet Miers? Sure you can.). Even Arlen Specter has been given pause, publicly, covering his own behind.

It is hard to imagine that Michael Mukasey will take on any of the politically controversial positions Albie Gonzales bent over to take.

caw

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
Mukasey's position regarding waterboarding was ridiculously illogical, but I don't blame anyone for deciding that he's the best we're going to get in a Bush AG appointee. I pretty much agree with blackbird on this one. The point was made, and Mukasey came out of this looking a lot worse than the Democrats.