PDA

View Full Version : What?? James Potter and the Halls of Elder???

Twizzle
11-09-2007, 06:02 PM
please move if this isn't the right place, and sorry if someone already asked this, but

An 8th Potter book?
http://www.booktrade.info/index.php/showarticle/12496

http://www.elderscrossing.com

an elaborate hoax? someone trying to collect address for a spam list?anyone know anything about this?

Birol
11-09-2007, 06:10 PM
Moved from Roundtable.

JoeEkaitis
11-09-2007, 06:43 PM
Nothing on www.snopes.com yet, but give it time.

Toothpaste
11-09-2007, 06:44 PM
Hmm. I don't know. I'm going to wait and see. I know it can't have JK's involvement and I'm not sure if I would want to read something set in her universe written by someone else.

ETA: have just checked out the website. I dunno. Very professional looking, but a little rough in places. Also the whole "you are must be a friend here have the secret password but don't tell anyone" seems disingenuous. Like the person is pretending that this is something exclusive to make us feel special, when really anyone can get the password. Man, why does the Leaky Cauldron not have any info yet!

SherryTex
11-09-2007, 06:47 PM
checking mugglenet.com and jkrowling site right now...

Twizzle
11-09-2007, 07:12 PM
ETA: have just checked out the website. I dunno. Very professional looking, but a little rough in places. Also the whole "you are must be a friend here have the secret password but don't tell anyone" seems disingenuous. Like the person is pretending that this is something exclusive to make us feel special, when really anyone can get the password. Man, why does the Leaky Cauldron not have any info yet!

that's what I was thinking, it's odd-the website. Yet, the copyright mention, how daring of a hoax is that...I do hope they have good lawyers. :)

Provrb1810meggy
11-09-2007, 07:19 PM
Mugglenet doesn't have anything.

But I'm inclined to not believe it. Anybody can make a website.

Toothpaste
11-09-2007, 07:20 PM
Yeah I saw that too. But it is easy to simply write a copyright at the bottom of a page. Then again if it is fake, why hasn't WB jumped all over this one, they are pretty strict about this stuff. I dunno. I'm still very skeptical. And I still maintain that even if it is real, I don't think I'm going to be that interested. Part of the reason I like HP is the writing style and voice. JK's sense of humour. I don't know how keen I'd be to read something by someone else.

Twizzle
11-09-2007, 07:30 PM
there's a clip on youtube.

http://www.fanpop.com/site/go?url=http://youtube.com/watch?v=zYQdr2ZwV9s

fanfic gone insane, maybe?

I guess we wait and see.

Toothpaste
11-09-2007, 07:37 PM
Makes me even more suspicious. A little video that is supposedly leaked, hence the "internal promo video" heading, that conveniently tells you nothing but sends you to a website. One thing I think we can say for sure is that none of this was leaked accidentally. Doesn't mean it isn't legit, but personally I am starting to resent the makers of this whole exercise considering they think so little of my intelligence.

DamaNegra
11-09-2007, 07:51 PM
Makes me even more suspicious. A little video that is supposedly leaked, hence the "internal promo video" heading, that conveniently tells you nothing but sends you to a website. One thing I think we can say for sure is that none of this was leaked accidentally. Doesn't mean it isn't legit, but personally I am starting to resent the makers of this whole exercise considering they think so little of my intelligence.
Isn't that what marketing people are paid for? :ROFL:

Toothpaste
11-09-2007, 07:54 PM
Yeah. Pisses me off (though my cousin is in advertising, so I can't hate the profession . . . just . . . get . . . angry).

Southern_girl29
11-09-2007, 08:11 PM
I don't really believe it's true, but I'm going to keep an eye on it. The Web site does look pretty professional, except for the secret password thing.

Salem
11-09-2007, 08:16 PM
J.K. Rowling already said that there's no way she'll write an 8th HP book and she usually sticks pretty close by her word. As far as someone else writting it, wouldn't that be impossible since JKR copyrighted the hell out of everything?

Provrb1810meggy
11-09-2007, 08:19 PM
Unless she approved it?

But I doubt she would.

I agree with those who think this is just fanfic.

Toothpaste
11-09-2007, 08:20 PM
Unless of course she gave permission. And I just don't see her doing that. And definitely not this soon after book 7, maybe years down the road.

Looks like fan fic to me too. Really the website, looks professional, but not quite if you know what I mean. Someone looking for their 15 minutes. And it's working.

JLCwrites
11-09-2007, 08:59 PM
Fanfiction. Elderscrossing is registered to a private person.
Mr. Turkey did a search on the domain registrars.

Salem
11-09-2007, 09:01 PM
Good ol' Mr. Turkey!

Wouldn't it be great, though, if JKR did a recap book that gave specifics about everyones lives such as what careers they all ended up having, who married whom, etc.?

Toothpaste
11-09-2007, 11:38 PM
Actually I think she is planning just such a thing. An encyclopedia to be done sometime in the future.

And Turkey you rock! How does one perform such a search?

rugcat
11-10-2007, 12:17 AM
From Publisher's Marketplace:

"PotterWatch
Neil Blair of the Christopher Little Literary Agency tells HPNA.org, 'Jo has not written an eighth book in the series and is not doing so. So no James Potter book I'm afraid.' (Which is still an incomplete answer to the question of whether the Elder's Crossing site is legitimate, and what it means.)"

JoeEkaitis
11-10-2007, 12:34 AM
The site has split into a low- and high-bandwidth version. Someone's putting a lot of effort into a potential hoax.

JLCwrites
11-10-2007, 12:36 AM
This is the place to go to search domain names, although there are other sites out there that use this as well.
http://www.whois-search.com/
It helps to be married to a computer geek. ;)

He also mentioned that she did write a short story for close friends. It was on one of his (many) RSS feeds so he can't remember the source.

mscelina
11-10-2007, 12:38 AM
man oh man....

Probably a hoax. It'll turn out to be some fan-fic writing 12 year old prodigy from Peoria. The site is derivative of JK Rowling's site in the interactive features. No way, no way could Rowling have written an 8th book--nor do I think she'd want to. I know the Encyclopedia is in the works, and there the Beedle the Bard book--handwritten--which I think is being auctioned off for charity. But this? Nah. Don't get excited.

Red-Green
11-10-2007, 12:52 AM
Maybe it's a concept album...Harry Potter and Music from The Elder (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_from_%22The_Elder%22). ;)

Rolling Thunder
11-10-2007, 12:56 AM
HPANA is following the saga of that site:

http://www.hpana.com/news.20263.html

ETA:An additional article is here:
http://www.news.com.au/mercury/story/0,22884,22729949-5005940,00.html

Christine N.
11-10-2007, 03:19 AM
It really is a nice site. Someone's burning a lot of bandwidth to play with people's minds.

DonnaDuck
11-10-2007, 06:44 PM
Rowling's already said that the series is done and she's already released the information that she won't authorize any "unofficial" HP spin-offs. Like someone said before, there's the Beedle the Bard book and then the encyclopedia that's down the line. Looks to me like someone needs a hobby.

Christine N.
11-21-2007, 05:28 PM
Just an update on this topic: I heard on the news last night that this book is about Harry's SON James, NOT his father, and that JKR has given her blessing.

Uncarved
11-21-2007, 05:41 PM
Yes I saw a bit of this on TV the other day.
Its his son, and the guy that is doing it has the okay to go ahead with it.

Sorta like "Wicked" and such did with the fairy tales.

DonnaDuck
11-21-2007, 07:11 PM
The last article I read stated that Rowling and WB were considering a suit against the site owner for copyright infringement because of the stark similarities between the WB graphics and whatnot. It clearly states on the introductory page the proper disclaimer but it's quite elaborate for a piece of fanfiction. Pardon my sadism but I would laugh it turned out to suck after all the hype.

Christine N.
11-21-2007, 07:26 PM
Apparently, as I said, JKR has given her blessing. And it's only going to be available online, for free.

I'll peek in. Maybe I'll download a chapter or two to check it out. If it's in the proper format, I can put it on the ebook reader I plan on buying for myself as a Christmas gift. A reward for a year of good work.

DonnaDuck
11-21-2007, 07:28 PM
Ah yes. Apparantly the news article I got my information from had been updated to include that she had given ehr blessing. Thank god because the last thing we need is another sue-happy author going ape-poop over fanfiction.

Christine N.
11-21-2007, 07:33 PM
There's also a new HP trivia book coming out next week. I met the author at Philcon this past weekend.

Harry Potter Trifles, Trivias and Particularites. It's on Amazon for pre-order, and I plan on getting a copy.