When in doubt, write about cheese scones.

PastMidnight

Oponionated
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jabrockmole.com
I was at a regional write-in last night and every time someone got stuck and was staring at a blank screen, one of the women suggested to just start writing about cheese scones. I haven't tried it yet, but it seemed to work for everyone who did it last night.

What are your tricks for those times when you get stuck and the words aren't coming?

Sassee

Momma Wolf
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sasseebioche.blogspot.com
My character starts talking to and repeating herself. So do the other characters.

Also, I left myself a lot of room to move with my characters. Since I have a daycare full of kids with super powers, whenever I get into a dull spot I simply have one of them start a riot. I've had the werewolf pup get bitey, I've had my little pyro throw sparks and shoot hot air (because he can't quite conjure fire yet), I had my demon baby start a massive food fight, etc.

Oh, and I also make it a point to have someone(thing) try to break into the daycare at least once every day my character is there.

It spices things up a little ;)

If all of that doesn't work, one of the kids in my daycare has a hot dad. I bring him in occassionally for some nice sexual tension.

GeorgieB

Almost a wannabe writer
Registered
Reaction score
I use an old trick--finish the day's writing by leaving my MC in the middle of a situation, even though I might be tempted to continue writing. Many times I've thought about where I left the character and came up with a better scenario than I originally planned. Although plot bunnies might multiply using this technique, it's also solved some previous holes.

Leaving mid-scene solves the blank screen problem for me.

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
Extending the current momentum perhaps? At the moment, I'm prolonging the story of a dead mole, as I have no idea what to write next, and I actually feel like writing something. I'm sure it'll soon turn around, when the next light switches itself on. :D

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Nobody's mentioned plot ninjas yet?