State of the market

Giles English

Eroticist for hire
Registered
Reaction score
Website
chasteerotica.blogspot.com
I wrote and sold a male-orientated erotic novel almost a couple of years back. I was quite happy that it went to a small press. Now, I'd love to try a bigger publisher for bigger bucks.

Am I correct in saying that the bigger publishers are only interested in female-orientated erotica/romantica?

Thanks
Giles

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I think that is a current growth market with a strong internet presence, however male-targeted books still occupy more shelf space in brick-and-mortar bookstores.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I am in the UK too and regularly look at the erotica shelves. As my main male market is gay men I haven't noted down the names of straight male-audience markets. Have you tried the erotica readers association? There is a link in the sticky post at the top of the forum. Otherwise, the best place to see a good range is airport bookstores (I don't even want to *think* about that).

Giles English

Eroticist for hire
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Ah! Airports. Train stations as well, I'm sure.

Yes, I've tried the ERA. All small press when I last looked, except for Black Lace/Nexus which is sewn up.

Obviously more legwork required. (I'm biting my tongue here, trying not to make inuendos.)

Just out of interest, is there a link somewhere to your work?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
So far that's about a dozen stories (not listed anywhere) and two ebooks. You can see more about them at veinglory.com I am in the final stages of editing a multi-author collection which I will be shopping around soon.

I think most of the regulars here write for women. Despite my area (homoerotica) I also am a women writing mostly for women although I have a few things with genuinely gay markets also.

Actually, now that I think about it, I bet you could get some good tips at desdmona.com's forums. There is a very mixed group of erotica writers over there.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In my limited experience, the US market is definitely of two minds, neither of them yours. The gay market and the romantic erotica market remain dominant, with romantic erotica growing as the women who read Romance decide more explicit is exciting.

The hetero and fetish markets are reeling from wounds suffered at the hands of the internet, where much is available for free. Too many readers don't seem to care if the quality is dreadful.

Maryn

Giles English

Eroticist for hire
Registered
Reaction score
Website
That was the impression I had. Come back Masquerade Books, all is forgiven!

I might yet try my hand at Romantica, with more research.

However, I'm more or less Veinglory's opposite number: my sub males tend to be participant observers in a lot of Sapphic romances!

(Veinglory: I'll check out your site shortly)

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Do you have a site? I would be happy to link to you.

You have challenged my impression of things. Next time I am in the highstreet I will try and get some publishers names.