vasectomy.

kellytijer

What the hell is going on?!
Registered
Reaction score
how long does it take? how long until you're up and about? how "outpatient" is it? could one drive oneself home afterwards?

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
My hubby had one recently...

It didn't take long, an hour maybe. I'd have to ask if he remembers specifically.

It was an outpatient surgery, but they asked him to have someone drive him there so that he wouldn't have to drive home on his own. Not only did he run the risk of post-operative drowsiness, but if he didn't sit just so, it was pretty uncomfortable.

He went in on a Friday, and Monday he returned to work. He was pretty sore, though, and didn't run around much during the weekend.

General soreness lasted for about two weeks.

A nifty side note: he didn't have any stitches. The cut in the scrotum is so tiny that they can just press the skin together and it sort of sticks. It doesn't need even a single stitch.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
how long does it take? how long until you're up and about? how "outpatient" is it? could one drive oneself home afterwards?

1. Far too long. Well, it seems that way, but in reality only 15 minutes or so.

2. It's best not to go back to work that same day, but depending on your line of work, you could go in the next day. All better in a couple of weeks, unless you have to chase bats out of the house like I did the evening of my surgery.

3. Very outpatient.

4. Yep.

kellytijer

Registered
Reaction score
my dad had one, but that was back in the 70's. plus he lives out of state and doesn't hear so well so i'd rather not have the screaming "how was your vasectomy" conversation over the phone.

he did used to joke that it was fun when the nurse shaved him though. he also liked to say, "i'm shootin' blanks now!"

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
Um . . . from your avatar it looks like somebody would benefit from one. And yes, I agree with what's been posted. I'm sure if you googled some urology sites (usually urologists do them) you could find explicit answers there.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Ex had one. Took about 15 min. He made a big deal out of it. Was all bruised for a few days. Had no sense of humour at all about it. Did not 'cause' anything bad to happen after it healed. Same drive and delivery. He did say it felt like someone was pulling his throat out from down below. (Wonder what that means?)
;)

kellytijer

Registered
Reaction score
Um . . . from your avatar it looks like somebody would benefit from one. And yes, I agree with what's been posted. I'm sure if you googled some urology sites (usually urologists do them) you could find explicit answers there.

only two of 'em are mine. :D

so much more fun to get the answers here...

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
First, I'm not reading the other posts because there are so many guys who say it's not a big deal and not painful. I hate you all very, very much. It was horrifying and I felt violated and yes I know I'm a wuss. But to answer your questions . . .

how long does it take? About 20 - 30 minutes of prep time, mostly waiting as a parade of nurses come by to see your fellas poking out through a sheet. The surgery itself takes about 20 minutes.

how long until you're up and about? It took me a day before I could really walk and then I was still severly "limping" for an entire week. It felt like I had a midget holding into me.

how "outpatient" is it? Totally outpatient. In and out in under an hour.

could one drive oneself home afterwards? Certainly, although there's no way in hell I could have.

kellytijer

Registered
Reaction score
20 - 30 minutes of prep time, mostly waiting as a parade of nurses come by to see your fellas poking out through a sheet.
:eek::roll:
i'm very, very sorry.
i never thought about that part of it before. one of my characters will very definitely go thru that. one of the nurses will have to look at his "fellas" and smirk.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Soccer Dad had one. He drove himself home. He was very sore and kept ice on it periodically for a couple of days. He felt bad enough to stay home from work, but good enough to play golf. ;)

And it hasn't affected his get up and go in the slightest.

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
:eek::roll:
i'm very, very sorry.
i never thought about that part of it before. one of my characters will very definitely go thru that. one of the nurses will have to look at his "fellas" and smirk.

Oh, it's for your book? I thought you were researching a vasectomy for your hubby!
When mine got his done all my friends started referring to him as "the pleasure model". Yup, all of the fun with none of the risk.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
My hubby was a total macho man when he walked out of the office, but for the next two days he was such a baby! No stiches, but lots of soreness.

Oh, and make your character do the sperm check before resuming 'normal activities'. There's little swimmers left in there for months afterwards, as evidenced by my little #4. Wow, what a conversation THAT was. :D

kellytijer

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, it's for your book? I thought you were researching a vasectomy for your hubby!
When mine got his done all my friends started referring to him as "the pleasure model". Yup, all of the fun with none of the risk.

yeah, the one for nano...i wanted to see if it was possible for a man to have one done while his wife was at work. this guy doesn't keep his wife's feelings in the forefront of his mind, it will be something he discusses with his mother.
don't feel bad for his wife though, she's secretly one month pregnant with another man's baby.

no, when i tell my husband it's time, that'll be when it's time...i'm just kidding. vasectomy is on the list of things my husband doesn't want to discuss.

kellytijer

Registered
Reaction score
My hubby was a total macho man when he walked out of the office, but for the next two days he was such a baby! No stiches, but lots of soreness.

Oh, and make your character do the sperm check before resuming 'normal activities'. There's little swimmers left in there for months afterwards, as evidenced by my little #4. Wow, what a conversation THAT was. :D
that could make for an interesting twist...somewhere.....i'll have to think about that.

JoniBGoode

Registered
Reaction score
First, I'm not reading the other posts because there are so many guys who say it's not a big deal and not painful. I hate you all very, very much. It was horrifying and I felt violated and yes I know I'm a wuss. But to answer your questions . . .

how long does it take? About 20 - 30 minutes of prep time, mostly waiting as a parade of nurses come by to see your fellas poking out through a sheet. The surgery itself takes about 20 minutes.

how long until you're up and about? It took me a day before I could really walk and then I was still severly "limping" for an entire week. It felt like I had a midget holding into me.

how "outpatient" is it? Totally outpatient. In and out in under an hour.

could one drive oneself home afterwards? Certainly, although there's no way in hell I could have.

3, are you sure you didn't do anything to p*** off your urologist? That seems excessive, from the parade to the limping.

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
Geeze... i jumped off the table while the sack was still smoking, asked my nurse if she wanted to take the new blank gun for a spin, went home and have had guilt free, contraceptive free sex for the last 28 years. HOWEVER... My new younger wife now wants me to have the damn thing reversed so we can have a kid..... My life sucks.....

Fingers

My cat Toby
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere in the woods around Portland Oregon
There always has to be an exception. Mine was pretty much like all the other guys. Except for the fact that the anesthetic did not take effect until the doctor was 1/3 of the way through the second side. Painful? Excruciatingly so. No one has mentioned that the painkiller is injected directly into the scrotum. Doctor says 'dont move or there could be damage done by the needle'. Dont move he says, HA! Anyway, it still lasted about 20 minutes, I couldnt drive home because my truck is a manual transmission. Had mine done on a friday and was back at work on monday. Oh yeah, the doctor gave me the option of a couple of valium before the operation. Like a dummy I declined. Good luck with your story.

yer pal Brian

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Forgot to mention this. I also walked like John Wayne for 2 or 3 days after the procedure. I thought you'd want to know that. :D

kellytijer

Registered
Reaction score
a similar thing happened to me while in labor. the anesthesiologist says, "remain very still" while he's injecting crap in my spine during extreme labor pains. the epidural only took on one side of my body, it was an hour before the numbness hit the other half. i can sympathize, i guess is what i'm trying to say. sort of.

Jeff Colburn

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CreativeCauldron.com
Fast and easy. In and out of the office in less than an hour. I could have driven myself home except that I had an arm full of Valium. Wow, great stuff. I was back to work the next day.

The only problems I had was the next day when I quickly stepped off a curb, and the shock wave went up my leg and to my groin. It was similar to being kicked in the groin, but there was less pain, and it only lasted a minute. A few days later I walked around Disneyland all day, and was a little sore the next day.

Have Fun,
Jef

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a retired Urologist. The patient's side is very much like what others have said. However, sperm is stored and matured in the seminal vesicles (hence the name), which is proximal (above, in this case) to the surgery. The general rule is it takes 3 months or 25 ejaculations after the vasectomy until he's "shootin blanks". Typically done on a Friday, back to work on Monday but not in the sack for about 2 weeks.

The "no stitches" or "no scalpel" ads are hoaxes. If you sharpen a scissors...or use biologic glue...it's all the same as far as scars, healing, discomfort, results, etc. goes.

The most common complication is chronic pain...usually in men talked into it by their wives. Sorry guys, but women seem to mentally tolerate it better than men.