• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Editor] Laurie Rosin

robertelee2627

My wife has written 3 novels but has gotten nothing but rejection letters from agents she has sent letters to. I was hoping that she might be able to benefit from a professional editor. Has anyone heard of (i) Laurie Rosin or (ii) Bill Greanleaf? Has anyone worked with CEA?

Thanks!!

vstrauss

Re: Anyone Worked with CEA?

Before making any decisions about paying for "professional" editing, see the Book Doctors page of Writer Beware for some thoughts on editing and some tips for assessing the professionalism of an independent editor:

www.sfwa.org/beware/bookdoctors.html

- Victoria

Editrx

A quick look at Laurie Rosin's website says to me:

<ul><li>Looks slick-ish.</li>
<li>No real editor claims the books she has edited (in any form: copyediting, line-editing, developmental editing, acquisitions) to be "books published by {name of editor}" -- the author and publisher are the published; the editor is simply the editor.</li>
<li>What on earth is she doing with her time? Only 4-5 books edited in an entire year?</li>
<li>What background does she have for editing? Any background information is notably absent in her bio. She appears to have sprung, fully formed, on the Net, without having worked in-house for a publisher. Or worked doing any sort of job in publishing, for that matter.</li>
<li>No references from in-house editors, no references from publishers, no references to her "success" rate (how many books get published? that may account for the 4-5 books/year ratio I noted previously), only references from unknown "authors"</li>
</ul>

For all I know, there really is good information out there about her, and she may turn out to be a good editor. But I highly recommend you hie yourself to the link Victoria gave above, and check out what questions to ask when looking for a freelance editor. Alas, anyone (and everyone) can hang out a shingle, claiming they're an editor -- doesn't mean they're really any good, or that you'll not get taken for a ride.

SRHowen

Has she tried a critique group? Beta readers who don't write and those that do? One of the best books on editing that I've read is:

The Complete Guide to Editing Your Fiction, by Michael Seidman

Shelling out money for an editor does not guarantee the book will sell, no editor can guarantee that. The story has to be good int he first place, and if you choose to hire an editor then it is a waste of money unless you have made the book the best it can be before you send it to an editor.

Shawn

LReditor

Consider the Possible Impact of Casual Comments

I was astonished by the content of Editrx's response to a benign query about William Greenleaf and me, Laurie Rosin. Editrx, whom I do not know, calls my Web site "slick-ish" and appears to question my credentials and what I do with my time.

Friends, an ill-considered, thoughtless remark in a public forum can carry considerable consequences. I'm sure Editrx did not intend to do harm--at least let's hope not!--but she clearly might have created suspicion in the mind of a prospective client, and for no good reason. Yes, one must always exercise caution before hiring an editorial consultant, but I would challenge anyone to find fault in my abilities as a book editor or in how I conduct myself, personally or professionally.

Information about my background and education is clearly noted on my Web site, along with articles I have published in Writer's Digest. Briefly, I have been a book editor for almost thirty years and have edited thirty-seven national best-sellers. I have been awarded a writing fellowship by the National Endowment for the Humanities. I am a speaker at writers' conferences and write professionally.

Next, although there is no accounting for taste, the Web site Editrx views as "slick-ish" others may consider to be "professional looking." In an arena where presentation is so important, why would someone hire an editor whose Web site appears amateurish? Does anyone hand in sloppy manuscripts with the idea it is advantageous to do so? Is the reading public attracted to books with unattractive cover art? So why would Editrx denegrate a carefully created Web site? I cannot think of a satisfactory answer.

I have already shared my feelings with Editrx, Victoria, and Jenna via e-mail. I urge people with questions about Bill Greenleaf to contact him, and people with questions about me to come to the source for answers. Posting baseless accusations for public consumption does not honor the fine service AbsoluteWrite provides its members and guests.

Thank you for spending time with this response. I genuinely appreciate it.
Laurie Rosin

Last edited:

MartyKay

Sockpuppet Hunter
Registered
Reaction score
Website
martykay.blogspot.com
*sigh* this is about my fourth attempt to post on this thread, something just keeps setting off my Nice-O-Matic(tm) and I can't figure out just what it is.

No offence intended LREditor, but I just read your post and something... :idea: nope.. can't think of it. Maybe not enough coffee. Maybe I'm thin-skinned and take offence for no reason.

Oh well... welcome to the board, I'm sure a professional editor like yourself will be a great benefit to us all.

Leyla

Registered
Reaction score
This is so funny, I just joined this forum and was about to post a postive comment on Laurie Rosin. (Hi, Laurie, hehe. Funny how I keep bumping into you.)

As I was saying I tried hiring editors before and they want a ton of money for their services. But Ms. Rosin told me to put my book aside for about a month and a half and then go back to it. I actually had the privilege to speak to her over the phone awhile back. Beside trusting WordsRU, I trust Laurie as well. And I just learned she's offering writing classes in Florida. I want to go and attend but I don't get along with airplanes too well.

Its okay to be cautious and do some checking. However I never spoke with William Greenleaf but I did look at his site lastnight and he offers a payment plan which is good to me. But depending on what is needed, his ghostwriting fee is ten thousand dollars, which seems to be a little less then the other fee's I had seen.

The editors I'm working with from WordsRU are fun and willing to improve your manuscript for a small fee. Mine as of now was quoted for 675 dollars which includes heavy edit and rewrite.

Well thats my report for the day, tootles...

I would think I'll be lucky if I edit 4 to 5 books a year. I now realize editing is hard work even for me, even when I use Microsoft Word to edit mine. I have no honors in English or anything. And it took me over 3 years just to write one book. Editors have to use a critical eye while they mark errors or make changes to manuscripts.

Last edited:

danahunter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
Laurie Rosin, instead of getting all hurt and defensive (which is understandable), I'd suggest you take a good, close look at what people on this forum have said regarding your website and adjust accordingly:

1. "No real editor claims the books she has edited (in any form: copyediting, line-editing, developmental editing, acquisitions) to be "books published by {name of editor}" -- the author and publisher are the published; the editor is simply the editor." If you have published books you've written, not simply edited, fantastic! Make it clear.

2. "What background does she have for editing? Any background information is notably absent in her bio." This sounds like a perfect time to add an easy-to-find bio with very specific (and independently verifiable) information to your website.

3. "No references from in-house editors, no references from publishers, no references to her "success" rate (how many books get published? that may account for the 4-5 books/year ratio I noted previously), only references from unknown "authors"." All good things to add, if they're available and verifiable.

Coming here and screaming about the unfairness of it all does you no good. Neither does telling us to "come to the source". If we don't know you, and we are here to find out if anyone's had experience with you be it good or bad, why would we trust your self-reporting? It's a sad fact, but many authors are scammed by so-called "editors" and "agents" who had glib answers to tough questions. Our only method of protecting ourselves is to go outside the source for information.

This could become an excellent business opportunity for you, as addressing authors' concerns up front on your website will allay many fears and empower authors to do enough research on you to feel comfortable using your services, which is no small thing in this industry. If your credentials are valid, you have nothing to fear from this forum.

visionary

Laurie Rosin

Has anyone had experience working with this Florida based book editor?

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Hi there,
No, sorry--haven't worked with her. I checked on Amazon and it looks like she has edited a couple of self-pubbed books, but that's all the information I could find. Do you have any other information you'd like to share?