When to...

sesame

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, I have a few questions.

I have been querying agents and I have received some requests for partials and fulls. At what point should a writer share with an agent they have completed another novel that could be published as this first novel's sequel? Could this information be mentioned in the query letter? Or should it be mentioned in the letter I send with the requested material?

When should a writer share with an agent the novel they are querying has already been submitted to a half a dozen publishers by a former agent?

Thanks!

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I think the phrase you are looking for is 'my novel has series potential'

The former agent needs to be mentioned right upfront. Depends what genre you're writing as to how many publishers there are out there for a new agent to approach, but this could be a sizeable problem for your novel.

sesame

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Waylander, for your reply. My novel's genre is young adult.

The former agent needs to be mentioned right upfront.

Are you trying to say that because my novel was already shopped around by another agent to a half a dozen publishers this information should be mentioned in my query letter to other agents? If not at that point, do you think it should be mentioned in the letter I send with the requested material?

Thanks!

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure Miss Snark addressed this and her answer will be in the archives over on her blog.
I think you need to be upfront about this and say something like 'this project was previously represented by agent xyz and was circulated to a limited number of publishers between ## and ** (insert the dates here)'

I presume you have the list of who your previous agent sent the manuscript to. Are these major markets? What kind of response did it get?
Any new agent you approach will want all the details before (I suspect) reading even a partial.

BrookieCookie777

Registered
Reaction score
I always say "I have considered making this a series in the future". This way the door is open, yet it doesn't scare anyone off if it's not what they are looking for.

Khazarkhum

Registered
Reaction score
How long ago did you have the other agent?

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
At what point should a writer share with an agent they have completed another novel that could be published as this first novel's sequel?

My novel's title is "Before the Storm", so I wrote in my query letter, "Before the Storm is a stand-alone novel, but it has sequel potential (the next two titles in the series would begin with During and After)".

sesame

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone, for your helpful replies. The first question is answered. Thanks. Now for the second question. Waylander said:

The former agent needs to be mentioned right upfront. Depends what genre you're writing as to how many publishers there are out there for a new agent to approach, but this could be a sizeable problem for your novel.

Do I mention in my query letter that I was represented by an agent up until the middle of 2006? If I already sent out a few partials and fulls without mentioning this information, should I contact these agents and let them know?

Thanks again.

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
Sesame, definitely go digging through Miss Snark's archives for the answer on that one. IF I remember correctly, she said you should mention it as soon as an agent expresses interest.

dantem42

Registered
Reaction score

Do I mention in my query letter that I was represented by an agent up until the middle of 2006? If I already sent out a few partials and fulls without mentioning this information, should I contact these agents and let them know?

Thanks again.

Few things are more embarrassing to an agent than pitching a book to an editor, only to find it was pitched by another agent the year before. It makes the agent look like he/she doesn't have a clue what's going on. You will make an enemy for life.

Furthermore, if you had a competent agent before and he/she couldn't sell your novel, you may want to examine this as well. Maybe a rework is in order. Usually, if the agent gets reads from editors, he/she will also get some comments as to why it didn't fly. If there was a consistent pattern (been there done that plot, etc.), then you should take this to heart.

sesame

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Dantem42 and Judg.

Should I email the agents who have my partial or full and let them know about my previous agent? Or should I wait to see if they express interest in representing me? They would not be pitching my book to editors at this time.

Sesame, definitely go digging through Miss Snark's archives for the answer on that one. IF I remember correctly, she said you should mention it as soon as an agent expresses interest.

Perhaps Ms. Snark's meaning in "expressing interest" was when an agent expresses interest in representing a client.

I have been reviewing Ms. Snark's blogs. They are very informative but it will probably take me a while to locate the blog addressing my question.

Thanks, everyone.

Last edited:

dantem42

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Dantem42 and Judg.

Should I email the agents who have my partial or full and let them know about my previous agent? Or should I wait to see if they express interest in representing me? They would not be pitching my book to editors at this time.

Perhaps Ms. Snark's meaning in "expressing interest" was when an agent expresses interest in representing a client.

I have been reviewing Ms. Snark's blogs. They are very informative but it will probably take me a while to locate the blog addressing my question.

Thanks, everyone.

First of all, do you have a list of the submissions to publishers made by your previous agent? If he/she carpet-bombed all the major publishers, you probably won't be able to interest an agent. On the other hand, if he/she only pitched to two or three, it may not be so much of an issue. I'd inform the new agents that you were previously represented, but I'd make sure to have a good list of previous submissions (even the names of the editors if possible, since the big places have a number of them).

sesame

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Dantem42. My previous agent pitched my manuscript to six editors at various publishing houses. I do have a list of those editors along with their rejection letters.

My novel is young adult. My agent and I had an amicable parting and since that time I have completed another revision.

Last edited:

Susan Breen

Registered
Reaction score
I think I would let an agent know before sending her a full, but I don't think it's necessary to include that information in the query letter. I would be upset if I read a whole manuscript and then found out that it had been sent out (and the writer hadn't told me), but I don't think I'd be upset if I just read a letter.

sesame

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Susan.

I have contacted the agents who have my partial or full.

Thanks, everyone!

sesame

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the good news, Maprilynne.

Good luck!