What is too much about a character?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IReidandWrite

Registered
Reaction score
Can you still have, while describing a character's place of living, etc., say they like books?

Or is that trivial?

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
The way you're asking the question, it sounds like a tell vs. show situation. Instead of saying "[Name] was an avid reader with a lifelong love of books," you could fill her living room with bookcases, with more stacks of books on various surfaces. Particular situations could call to mind her favorite books, and she could quote them on appropriate occasions.

Hope that helps.

IReidandWrite

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I do.

Plus, there's sort of a reason she reads...To practice focus.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I don't understand your question. Is it trivial that the character likes books? Of course not. Is it trivial to describe the book cases after book cases of books as well as the books on the floor and under the bed? Of course not... if all is relevant.

We don't need to know the reason why she reads until that information is relevant to us.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
You can describe your character's love of books. It sounds like it's relevant to me, from what you say here. I want to know everything about a character that is relevant. I like a 360 degree view.

Wallaceka

Registered
Reaction score
I like to know about the characters I read - but it's always good to make it relevant in some way.

Three pages of a historic three-grade lunch appearing in the middle of a car chase scene would probably be overkill, but showing a love of books is great stuff.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Two words: Michael Connelly.

Okay, some more words: Harry Bosch loves jazz. It's not central to the plot. In fact, it's not really relevant at all. But it fleshes out his character for me. It makes me feel like he's real. Yanno?

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
When I stop caring, then you've said too much. Some characters, I practically want a biography on. Some, I don't. It comes down to the author's language and ability to hold my interest and just talk to me.

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
Two words: Michael Connelly.

Okay, some more words: Harry Bosch loves jazz. It's not central to the plot. In fact, it's not really relevant at all. But it fleshes out his character for me. It makes me feel like he's real. Yanno?

And he even included a CD of Harry's favorite jazz pieces with one book - the disc is called "Dark Sacred Night" and is fabulous.

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
In my book, Shadows of The Keeper, I wanted to convey Inzyr as more than just an assassin and guardian of The Dark Prince. The following not only allowed the reader a glimpse into his personal life, but provided comic relief as well.

"I am content here, assassin. I will grant you leave of your own accord, honoring your loyalty of long ago."

"And I will allow you to accompany me, of your own accord, back to Balkore. Then again, it is my hope that you refuse. Your head will make a unique bookend." Inzyr crouched, readying for battle.

"Still the scholar?" Nonchalantly, Dezenial raised his sword.

"It eases me."

Hope this helps, at least a little bit, to see how you can merge your information as part of the scene without sounding like a long list of character attributes.

Evaine

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeinhay.blogspot.com
Lord Peter Wimsey was a collector of antiquarian books. He didn't use any of that knowledge to solve his cases, as far as I recall, but he was a great one for an apt quotation, and there were scenes where he discussed an auction, for instance, and then went on to the matter in hand.

J. R. Tomlin

Banned
Reaction score
I agree that not everything has to be relevant. Some things just help flesh a character out. It's a matter of knowing where to draw the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.