Status
Not open for further replies.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
OMG I was totally gonna suggest Fruits Basket.

I actually have something in common with MilesZ. :hi:

Anyway yeah, I'm totally addicted. It's up to like 16 volumes now. And I'm not even a nine year old girl... I'm an adult!!! :Shrug:

The theme of the series, in my opinion, is that you don't have to be a SMART person to be a GOOD person. The MC is an orphaned high school girl who gets taken in by a family where everyone turns into one of the zodiac animals when they are hugged. It is a curse and they all have issues, but this girl who is frankly pretty stupid manages to bring light into all of their lives. It's funny, cute, and heartfelt.

The only thing is I don't think it's written left to right. You mean the "western" way? It's "backwards." But it has a little explanation in the front about how to read it and I really don't think kids would have any problem with it.

Ahem. BTW, if you get it for the 9 year old, sneak a peek yourself. It's worth reading. :)

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Peach Fuzz is charming, goofy--and most importantly, completely safe for children.

moreover, its original language is English, despite being published by TokyoPop.

The_Grand_Duchess

I record everything.
Registered
Reaction score
Bangkok, the Underground and the Holy ground.
Thanks guys :) I always wondered what Fruits Basket was about!

It has to be written left to right becuase the nine year old in question has trouble reading and they're using the manga to help her as she does well with comic books. We don't want to compound the problem by showing her something that she has to read backwards.

I didn't want to say backwards becuase that makes me sound ignorant but yeah that's what I meant.

Leva

Registered
Reaction score
Inuyasha is flipped (so it reads left to right), and is very popular with the kids. Thematically, it's similar to Narnia -- Kagome travels through a magical well to the past where she's trying to find all the pieces of a broken jewel. (Inuyasha -- the character -- is an absolutely classic "beast" in the Beauty and the Beast sense. He's half demon and has no friends and is entirely on his own until Kagome befriends him. A lot of the story revolves around the relations between the characters.)

Mild caveat with Inuyasha -- there's the occasional rude word. Inuyasha has a potty mouth and an attitude; it's part of his charm. And Miroku also has a tendency to harass the girls. I'd put it at about a PG level -- if you'd be okay letting her watch, say, Shrek, or Pirates of the Caribbean, you probably won't have problems with this one.

Oh, and "National Geographic" style female nudity. The Japanese definitely do not have the hangups that we do over showing body parts in a children's series and there's a female troll (villain) who is unclothed from the waist up on a few panels. I'd forgotten about this until I recommended the series for a friend's kid and she freaked when she saw teh boobies. It was completely inoffensive to me, but some people's mileage may vary.

-- Leva

Hummingbird

Pen, Paper, Prepared. ...Write!
Registered
Reaction score
Cardcaptor Sakura I think has been flipped to left to right. I loved that when I was little (still do! :D), and it's cute and funny.

It's about a girl who finds a book of magical cards in her father's basement and sets them free. Now she has to collect them all again with the help of a magical guardian that looks like a stuffed toy, her video-taping happy friend, and a rival who is also after the cards.

Last edited:

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Thank you! I know about Inuyasha. I think I'm on one of these threads singing it's praises :) I always wondered what Card Captor was about, never watched the show.

Don't bother with the show, or at least not the American dub. 'Cardcaptors' was a severely edited version of the original show, Cardcaptor Sakura. However, the manga is great and I would also recommend it (it's from the same team who did Angelic Layer).

Korean comics are laid out left-to-right, so you could always check those out. My favorite would be this cute little series called "Witch Class."

There's a manga from Australia that's really cool called "Hallow Fields." You can find out more about it on www.gomanga.com

And when she wants to try reading something the Japanese way, I would reccomend Alice 19th, Crimson Hero, and Hikaru no Go.

Hummingbird

Pen, Paper, Prepared. ...Write!
Registered
Reaction score
I saw the dubbed Cardcaptors before I read the manga or saw Cardcaptor Sakura.
Wow, the difference... Yes, yes! The japanese version of the show is so much better! I remember the first time I heard the first japanese opening song. I was all "What? This is so cute and cool! What happened with the English one?"

Yet, I still can't forget the english opening. It haunts me in my sleep. ;) I still thought the opening song was cool when I was little.

I'm still on the lookout for other manga that might be good! :)

Last edited:

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Yeah, Inuyasha is another good one. I dunno about Naruto, it's very... boyish. ;)

Another one to try is Fushigi Yuugi. I'm not sure if it has been flipped or not, but it's definitely a good series. The premise is that this schoolgirl from modern times and her best friend find this ancient book that sucks them back into Medieval China. Turns out she is this priestess who must gather together "seven celestial warriors" (from the constellations I think) and summon the god Suzaku to save the kingdom or whatever. It then turns into an adventurous, romantic quest to find the seven warriors and battle the badguys, with lots of twists and turns. It's funny, tragic, romantic - all the good stuff.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
I don't know if I would recommend the Read or Die manga to a nine-year-old. I read the first volume, and though there wasn't much sexual content what there was I found pretty disturbing, considering what a light and fun series it is otherwise.

I'm pretty sure it reads the Japanese way (unflipped).

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
MINOR SPOILERS: If I remember it correctly, there's a clearly stated rape threat right near the end, so you probably haven't gotten there yet.

The_Grand_Duchess

I record everything.
Registered
Reaction score
Bangkok, the Underground and the Holy ground.
Man! All this Manga sounds so cool and awesome! But I won't read stuff backwards! That's my dysfunction but for the nine year old it has to be flipped becuase she already has trouble reading. I'll check out that read or die for myself becuase it sounds awesome.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Blonde haired/blue eyed/long time back/Secret Ass****/?/ SHOWGUN = >A<

PINK (*) NINJA Native AMericAN - guerrilla - camouflaged - super duper = DONE = everyonewonone~namste~notnasty~backinblack@@Pinkninjashow

Faster than the INternet, damya->gave it to Mr. hAsKinS .
scary

I WORKED AT AW FOR FREE -LEARNED ALOT THOUGHT ABOUT IT

to fast - make @@@@&*%$#)(

1 dollar+2.98+tax+govt.= $$$$
PEOPLE
USA

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.