Status
Not open for further replies.

paprikapink

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
paprikapink2.blogspot.com
I think it's "times tables" with no apostrophe , I mean, that's my impulse, but actually thinking about it is making me insecure....and that's not even my real question.

Is it the two's table? the twos table? the two tables? the two times-table? And I know that my author is not going to want to spell out the numbers. So I'm going to be faced with 2s table vs. 2's table vs. etc. And 2 table looks good and weird, don't it.

For some reason this really hurts my brain. I'd almost rather do the math. Help!

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I'd say "2-times tables" because 2-times is an adjective describing the tables (although I'd spell it out as two-times tables). And times doesn't take an apostrophe.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
I've always heard them referred to as "multiplication tables".

Skippy

Registered
Reaction score
we always used times table in school as in two times table or 4 times table etc... I don't remember ever using an apostrophe but then it's been a long time...

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
I think "times tables" and "the two-times tables" make the most sense.

They're multiplication tables, or tables of multiplication, not tables belonging to multiplication, so no apostrophe is needed when you substitute the colloquial "times" for "multiplication".

Status
Not open for further replies.