PDA

View Full Version : Three and a half months old...

PeeDee
11-06-2007, 09:21 PM
...and Zach has started teething.

I'm in the middle of two novels, couldn't this have waited?

Somebody hold me.:flag: :cry:

MidnightMuse
11-06-2007, 09:24 PM
*rubs hands together*

Our plan is working, my Precious!

It is working!

illiterwrite
I feel your pain. My 6 month old popped out his first two teeth at 3.5 months too. And hasn't stopped teething since.

cray
hang in there, rookie, it'll pass.

and then the next milestone will come.

scarletpeaches
So that's the breastfeeding over with, then? :D

MidnightMuse
11-06-2007, 09:25 PM
I'm pretty sure - Pete, correct me if I'm wrong but - he's not been breastfeeding the Jr. Jetson.

:D

PeeDee
11-06-2007, 09:25 PM
My wife, in a fit or hormonal wossname, but a teething toy two weeks ago, and I mocked her for it. Now the shoe's in the other court!

of course, being three and a half months old, it doesn't really fit in his mouth and he's barely figured out what his hands are for, let alone for holding things.

*whimper*

PeeDee
11-06-2007, 09:26 PM
I'm pretty sure - Pete, correct me if I'm wrong but - he's not been breastfeeding the Jr. Jetson.

It is amazing how little time I have spent breastfeeding him.

(No breastfeeding, from day two. All bottles and formulas)

Joe270
11-06-2007, 09:27 PM
Oh, the days of soggy zwieback toast gifts from pudgy little hands. Why do all kids just love to give you their chewed toast, especially onto dark pants or jackets?

It's a conspiracy, I say.

Enjoy it while it lasts.

Haggis
11-06-2007, 09:28 PM
Better get him over to the orthodontist, PeeDee. No sense waiting for the inevitable.

MidnightMuse
11-06-2007, 09:30 PM
I seem to recall a nightmarish horror plot you had once, wherein children began eating everyone? Or some such.

Sleep well tonight, Mr. Dee.

Sleep well. :ROFL:

PeeDee
11-06-2007, 09:32 PM
Oh crap, he's turning into one of the Pinskies! Aaaaah! *runs for the hills, sans son*

cray
11-06-2007, 09:33 PM
before we go too far, i would ask you all please please don't tell peedee that teething is like the easiest of all the fun stuff that will befall him in the next few years.

tee hee

MidnightMuse
11-06-2007, 09:35 PM
By the prickling of my thumbs
Something teething, this way comes!

Sarita
11-06-2007, 09:35 PM
Well, the good news is this: It usually takes a bit longer for the first ones to come out, so he'll be teething for a good month... Oh, wait, GOOD NEWS. No, I don't have any.

Finn is working on all 4 of his "I" teeth. He already has 12 teeth including all 4 first molars. If you think those little wee bottom ones are bad, wait until the molars buddy, just wait. Bloody blisters, up all night from the pain, sleeping only as long as the tylenol lasts... Good times.

According to the dentist, they start teething when the teeth begin to shift under the surface, which causes pain, itching, general discomfort. From initial movement, he says it can take anywhere from 2 weeks to a few months. Enjoy!

KTC
11-06-2007, 09:37 PM
Insert evil laugh here. No. Really. Insert it here...

I love that my kids are past those baby stages. Love it! We are almost at the empty nest!!!

We have empty nest syndrome in our house. My wife and I can't wait for the nest to be empty.

Unique
11-06-2007, 09:41 PM
Drooly. I remember Rain getting seriously drippy drooly. ick.

But this is what I told him: "these ... are icebars (http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikefischer/1332691185) ... and we can have as many as we want." :)

Heck, you don't even have to open them. Just let him chew. When it thaws out - refreeze!
(more for you that way)
of course, I lived in FL and you're in the tundra ... oh well. sorry 'bout that chief.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
11-06-2007, 09:41 PM
Now I'm not a mom... never been one... but I've got nieces and nephews and grand-nieces and grand-nephews and great-grand - you get my drift. Doesn't teething cause diarrhea, too? :D

PeeDee
11-06-2007, 09:42 PM
He's finally dozed off, thank God.

I wanted a parrot, people....A parrot!

*sob*

My wife and I have been hesitant to start loading him up on children's Tylonol (we're hesitant about medicine and kids, especially when it's just us giving it), but I'm going to load him up on something if he doesn't stop fussing.

Anyone want to come babysit? I'll just go to a coffee shop and someone can bring me a spice tea, and I'll get some writing done. Yes? Yes?

MidnightMuse
11-06-2007, 09:42 PM
*snicker*

PeeDee
11-06-2007, 09:43 PM
Wait, nope, my mistake, not dozed off. Just catching his breath for the Second Movement, in A minor.

CaroGirl
11-06-2007, 09:47 PM
He's finally dozed off, thank God.

I wanted a parrot, people....A parrot!

*sob*

My wife and I have been hesitant to start loading him up on children's Tylonol (we're hesitant about medicine and kids, especially when it's just us giving it), but I'm going to load him up on something if he doesn't stop fussing.

Anyone want to come babysit? I'll just go to a coffee shop and someone can bring me a spice tea, and I'll get some writing done. Yes? Yes?
You will get no writing done until he starts school. Get used to it.

My kids started teething at 3 months and got their first teeth...wait for it...at EIGHT months. So. There's that. All that drool and fussiness does not mean teeth will magically pop out any day now.

You might be able to write if you are prepared to do so standing up, walking in circles, and with a child strapped tightly across of the front of your chest. Your call.

KTC
11-06-2007, 09:48 PM
Don't forget the climbing, Caro. From about 6 months to about 3 years you can't let them out of your sight. Put down your writing utensils and strap yourself in for some cupboard and curtain climbing excursions.

Sarita
11-06-2007, 09:49 PM
Now I'm not a mom... never been one... but I've got nieces and nephews and grand-nieces and grand-nephews and great-grand - you get my drift. Doesn't teething cause diarrhea, too?
Diarrhea, sometimes a rash on their little handsies, fever, crankiness, supressed appetite, I could go on and on...

With tylenol, we hardly ever give it to him, actuallly. And if we do, it's only a 1/2 dose. We save it for the ultra desperate situations. Usually, the best remedy for Finn is a cup of milk and a cuddle.

Pete, if I lived nearby, I'd take Zach for the afternoon. No, really, I would! :)

ETA: Caro's right. The babybjorn worked wonders for us!

kristie911
11-06-2007, 09:50 PM
Awww...I'm so lucky. When Nick started teething he was probably 6 months old and he popped six teeth in a couple months. No crying, no nights awake. They just showed up one morning and it didn't seem to bother him a bit. The molars were a little more uncomfortable but not much. A little Tylenol and he was good to go.

I feel for you though, Pete. And if you were just a bit closer, I'd come babysit for you (well, for Zach...not you.) :)

~Kristie, missing the baby years...but not enough to babysit my ex-husband's new baby!

PeeDee
11-06-2007, 09:50 PM
He has no interest in cuddling with me! He just wants to gnaw on my wife's finger.

III
11-06-2007, 09:51 PM
Just remember, if he latches onto your finger with those razorlike baby teeth, there's an emergency release button on his forehead - just pop him there and he'll let go. Your pain will still last much longer than his.

MidnightMuse
11-06-2007, 09:52 PM
They have chew toys down at Petsmart.

CaroGirl
11-06-2007, 09:53 PM
Pete, if I lived nearby, I'd take Zach for the afternoon. No, really, I would! :)
OMG, I would too!! I really miss my babies. :cry:

KTC
woof.

scarletpeaches
And people ask me why I don't want kids...in future I shall redirect such enquirers to threads like this.

KTC
OMG, I would too!! I really miss my babies. :cry:

Are you insane! Babies are the most vile dispicable creatures in existence. Yuck.

PeeDee
I'll mail him to someone for the duration of November! It's fine! Really!

scarletpeaches
11-06-2007, 09:54 PM
Are you insane! Babies are the most vile dispicable creatures in existence. Yuck.

I think I love you in a filthy, dirty way.

KTC
11-06-2007, 09:55 PM
I'll mail him to someone for the duration of November! It's fine! Really!

Now you're talking. Just mail him no address. He'll land in the dead letter slot and come back to you when he's about 18. If you love someone, set them free...

MidnightMuse
11-06-2007, 09:56 PM
Don't be silly!

Auction him off in the AW Bargains thread.

Shadow_Ferret
11-06-2007, 09:57 PM
Enjoy it while it lasts.You're some kind of sadist, aren't you?

OMG, I would too!! I really miss my babies.

And you're a masochist.

CaroGirl
Are you insane!
Yes.

Babies are the most vile dispicable creatures in existence. Yuck.
Oh, but fresh from a bath, with their fine baby hair, and baby smell, wearing those little footie pyjamas. Aw.

Plus, this is someone else's baby and I'd just give it back if it squawked or pooped or did anything even more nasty. That's what grandmotherhood is for. You get all the good stuff and none of the nasty.

cray
Don't be silly!

Auction him off in the AW Bargains thread.

you'd have to give him an AW tattoo first.
...or a haggis tattoo at the very least!

KTC
11-06-2007, 09:58 PM
I think I love you in a filthy, dirty way.

me too...but in a slightly more narcissistic way.

KTC
11-06-2007, 09:59 PM
Oh, but fresh from a bath, with their fine baby hair, and baby smell, wearing those little footie pyjamas. Aw.

Oh, stop it. I don't believe in weeping.

MidnightMuse
11-06-2007, 09:59 PM
you'd have to give him an AW tattoo first.
...or a haggis tattoo at the very least!

You mean like: Got Diaper?

KTC
11-06-2007, 10:01 PM
Speaking of diapers, wait until they paint the pretties on the wall. That'll make your heart burst with love.

Unique
11-06-2007, 10:01 PM
They have chew toys down at Petsmart.

The beef flavored ones work best. The plain ones just didn't do it for him.

- only slightly kidding.

MidnightMuse
11-06-2007, 10:03 PM
Speaking of diapers, wait until they paint the pretties on the wall. That'll make your heart burst with love.

I just threw up a little.

Is there somewhere I can go to have my uterus removed? Yanno, just to be safe?

kristie911
11-06-2007, 10:05 PM

See? Another baby experience I missed out on. Nick never had any desire to mess with anything in his diaper. No poop painting, no teething pains...what else did I miss out on?

Now I know I'm done having kids...I wouldn't get this lucky again! :D

Shadow_Ferret
11-06-2007, 10:06 PM
I discovered, with our last son, the greatest teething device ever! When we gave it to him all his pain was relieved and he stopped crying.

But it's been 7 years now, so I've forgotten what it was.

Sorry, Pete.

KTC
11-06-2007, 10:07 PM
See? Another baby experience I missed out on. Nick never had any desire to mess with anything in his diaper. No poop painting

Oh...I'm sure he'll make up for his oversight with teenage drinking.

Look forward to the rainbow yawns.

MidnightMuse
11-06-2007, 10:11 PM
I discovered, with our last son, the greatest teething device ever! When we gave it to him all his pain was relieved and he stopped crying.

But it's been 7 years now, so I've forgotten what it was.

Sorry, Pete.

:roll:

Jaycinth
11-06-2007, 10:14 PM
PETE!!! just let him chew on your finger. BE a MAN. It's not like he's chewing on your nips for goodness sake.

Besides, teething is cute...

Not like EVERYTHING ELSE he's going to do(do) to you between now and November 21, 2028.

Lemme look into my crystal ball...

Oh look..in the Walmart. Zach is toddling. Look he's pulling off his pants. Look he leaving a ...oh my Pete...do you really feed him that much spinach and beans...? eeewwwwww..

Oh, Look....Zach's first day at preschool..Oh look, he dug up all of your neighbors deceased hamsters for show and tell....ewwwwww...

Oh LOOKIE Zach is 7...Wow, he has $5,000. Who is that strange man he's handing the keys to your new Prius Hybrid to?.....

Kate Thornton
11-06-2007, 10:30 PM
The greatest teething device we used was a liquid-filled plastic thingy you put in the fridge until it was cold (not frozen) and he could chew chew on it as the chill took away the pain...

When I was a baby, we used a semi-frozen washcloth, rolled up tight, as a chew toy, but you had the watch all the time to prevent choking. Of course, no one was asleep, so watching all the time was easy.

writerterri
11-06-2007, 10:58 PM
You're in for it for the next two years then. Freeze a baby wash cloth and let him chew on it. Or I would let my kids gum a cold carrot, but only until the tooth cut through.

Get yourself a pacifier and good luck with that.

I put in my time with teething for 6 years with three kids. Now they are all coming out.

PeeDee
11-06-2007, 10:59 PM
He has so far absolutely not cared about pacifiers at all. Sigh. :)

MidnightMuse
11-06-2007, 10:59 PM
What a world, eh? You suffer while those buggers come in, then they fall out one at a time, causing all manner of annoyances, then they come BACK and you have to pay to make them straight.

Then you have to pay to have some pulled.

Then they fall out again and you buy those fake, removable ones you can frighten the grandchildren with.

PeeDee
11-06-2007, 11:00 PM
Proving that there is a God, and he has a wicked sense of humor. "What this guys, this'll be awesome...!"

writerterri
11-06-2007, 11:09 PM
He has so far absolutely not cared about pacifiers at all. Sigh. :)

You're lucky. I've seen kids suck on those well into their teen years.

I'm telling you the carrot is a good things. The big end. Peel it first. It's cold and soothing. And Ora Gel is the bomb as well. He could teeth for months and not even cut a tooth.

writerterri
11-06-2007, 11:12 PM
What a world, eh? You suffer while those buggers come in, then they fall out one at a time, causing all manner of annoyances, then they come BACK and you have to pay to make them straight.

Then you have to pay to have some pulled.

Then they fall out again and you buy those fake, removable ones you can frighten the grandchildren with.

My son pulls his own teeth out when he needs the cash. I owe him about 11 bucks right now.

Southern_girl29
11-06-2007, 11:14 PM
It seemed like my daughter was cutting teeth forever. I think she started in about four months old and didn't actually cut one until she was 11 months old. Our doctor said not to use Orajel because it numbs their throat and could make them choke. Teething can also cause a runny nose, low grade fever and ear pain.

illiterwrite
11-06-2007, 11:17 PM
I wouldn't use a carrot on a 3.5 month old.

At that age they can barely hold anything anyway. You can hold a cold washcloth or a teether.

PeeDee
11-06-2007, 11:20 PM
That's why we weren't using OraGel at all.

Gave him some Tylenol, so that hopefully I can have enough of my afternoon back to get some work done. *pulls hair out instead*

PeeDee
11-06-2007, 11:20 PM
I wouldn't use a carrot on a 3.5 month old.

At that age they can barely hold anything anyway. You can hold a cold washcloth or a teether.

We're going to try those long freeze pop thingummies. I never know what they're called. And a washcloth.

He likes my wife better anyway, so all I need to do is survive till she gets home.

Jaycinth
11-06-2007, 11:33 PM
That's why we weren't using OraGel at all.

Gave him some Tylenol, so that hopefully I can have enough of my afternoon back to get some work done. *pulls hair out instead*

PETE!!!!

The national assoc of Pediatrics just said you DO NOT give Tylenol to anyone under 2 years old, and you have to be careful giving it to people under 6!!

Seriously, they've just pulled the stuff from the shelves last week.

Someone please find this man a link!!!

***Jaycinth paces with a worried expression on her face. She knows that billions of children have survived having their fathers as primary care givers, but is worried about the child whose father wears the stretchy pants...***

Southern_girl29
11-06-2007, 11:36 PM
PETE!!!!

The national assoc of Pediatrics just said you DO NOT give Tylenol to anyone under 2 years old, and you have to be careful giving it to people under 6!!

Seriously, they've just pulled the stuff from the shelves last week.

Someone please find this man a link!!!

***Jaycinth paces with a worried expression on her face. She knows that billions of children have survived having their fathers as primary care givers, but is worried about the child whose father wears the stretchy pants...***

I'm pretty sure it was the Tylenol Cold Medicine they pulled off the shelf, not the regular Tylenol.

Southern_girl29
11-06-2007, 11:38 PM
I'm pretty sure it was the Tylenol Cold Medicine they pulled off the shelf, not the regular Tylenol.

It is the cold. Here's a link.

http://gcpolicenews.com/index.cfm?act=Newsletter.cfm&category=News%201&newsletterid=7735&menugroup=Home

PeeDee
11-06-2007, 11:56 PM
Ours is "Infants' Drops, Acetaminophen" and it's Target Brand. I am relatively certain it's not cold medication of any sort.

Anyway, I wound up not giving him the dose after all, so all is safe... :)

(EDIT: And we have, thus far, only ever given it to him once without doctor's orders. And we are very careful to wait not only longer than the recommended period on the bottle -- it says four hours, we try for six or not at all -- but to try all other things. Neither of us like giving any medicine stronger than gas relief droplets to him. Frankly, the strongest thing *I* take is ibuprofen. That's why, this past week when I was sick and took cold medicine, I was so flatfooted.)

MidnightMuse
11-07-2007, 12:04 AM
So a little Rum in the formula is out of the question?

jst5150
11-07-2007, 12:04 AM
I'll bet you think you're going to gain more time at some point. That there's a point where you just pick up the rhythm and all's well again?

Uh. No.

I'm waiting until you come back with the "So, she took him out of the crib and brought him in to sleep with us" story.

jst5150
11-07-2007, 12:06 AM
Because parents were dosing for children OVER TWO YEARS OLD. They were not following the instructions.

On EVERY bottle of children's bottles of anything (which was the culprit here; not infants), it says "CONSULT YOUR DOCTOR FIRST." These people did not and instead dosed their under 2 year old children with the over 2 year old medicine.

And, yes, it actualy says ask thedoc before giving the infant stuff, too. And w've done that on almost EVERY occasion.

Hugs.

jt

PeeDee
11-07-2007, 12:25 AM
We were given this hotline number, which pipes through to the nurses at the Pediatric part of either the local CentraCare clinic, or the hospital (I forget which). We can just call up and ask questions. When it comes to Tylenol, that's what we'd do. Especially if it was more than once a day.

I remember my wife talking about this overdose story, the other day. Honestly the directions aren't complicated, but some people are just so dumb...

Shadow_Ferret
11-07-2007, 12:32 AM
Regular tylenol? Unless something went horribly wrong, has been safe all along. We were told many times by our docs when the kids have a fever that you can actually alternate between Tylenol and Advil (for children). The Tylenol lasts 2 or 4 hours or something and the Advil lasts 8 hours. As long as you alternate you can overlap the doses instead of waiting the full 8 hours before giving the next dose of Advil, you could wait 6 hours and give the Tylenol.

Also I only asked the doctor once during a cold season about the dosage for cold medicine. Why do I need to call him every time? He's going to go to his little size chart and tell me the same thing each time.

PeeDee
11-07-2007, 12:38 AM
The fact that you -- an adult, I mean -- can alternate ibuprofen and acetaminophen (tylenol) -- is wonderful, and something that comes in handy when I get sick and dying.

With Zach, it's part teething, part sickness. We were all sick, he's gotten a little bit of it. THankfully, he's old enough now that we don't have to rush him to the emergency room, like we had to when he was first born and got really sick. (We wound up spending five days in the St. Cloud Hospital Pediatric ward, sleeping on an ungodly painful couch while he was tested for everything imaginable, "just to be safe.")

Shadow_Ferret
11-07-2007, 12:42 AM
Pete, I wasn't talking about me as an adult alternating and overlapping the drugs, I was talking about doing it with my kids when they were very sick.

Granted, they weren't 3 months.

I'm still trying to remember the teething phase. I think I'm blocking. I think we used the ambesol stuff, but we also gave them Tylenol for infants.

illiterwrite
11-07-2007, 12:42 AM
Regular infant Tylenol is fine. I think you can even piggyback with infant Motrin. If he's not in a huge amount of pain, I don't give my guy anything, but I do give it at night if he's really fussy. I also use Camilia -- don't know if you have it down there (or if I even spelled it correctly). It's a homeopathic remedy.

Shadow_Ferret
11-07-2007, 12:44 AM
*points up*

See? There. She verified what I said. PIggyback. I like that word. Wish I'd thought of it.

PeeDee
11-07-2007, 12:47 AM
Pete, I wasn't talking about me as an adult alternating and overlapping the drugs, I was talking about doing it with my kids when they were very sick.

I know you were. It's just that while I have had no need to do that with Zach at all, both my wife and I were thrilled to discover we could do that. So that's all the experience I had to draw on for my reply. :)

Shadow_Ferret
11-07-2007, 12:49 AM
Wait. You mean we can do it for ourselves? Piggyback our own medication?

*slaps his forehead*

Doh!

PeeDee
11-07-2007, 12:50 AM
Sarcastic rodent. :P