• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

What if the piece you write is good but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
there's some grammar errors. Will a publisher, who likes the book, send it to the editor for fixing? Or will they just reject it?

For those less intuitive people here's an edit for ya.

some grammar errors, unforeseen or accidentally made.

geestinkinwhiz! :p

Last edited:

BrookieCookie777

Registered
Reaction score
Terri, I'm not an editor - but, from experience I have had many things published that I know were not edited to a tee. I think it just depends on the publisher. Some are very strict on grammer. Yet, if the writing is wonderful - they are not going to pass it by just because it has a few errors. If it is just pages and pages of grammical errors (every other word is all out of whack) that might be a problem, but if it is just one here and there I do not see why that would cause a problem. My agent and I have a book out on submission now and I know without doubt it has a few errors inside.

Hope this helps. Maybe one of these smarty arties will have more info from the editors end. God bless!

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
How many grammar errors are you talking about? One per paragraph? Per page? Per chapter?

Obviously, if it's teeming with errors, chances are the agent or publisher wouldn't even get through the reading to decide if they like it. But if you're just talking about a couple here and there, well, I've got to think that's forgivable. And I'm pretty sure the book will see an editor before publishing no matter what. Unless, of course, the publisher is PA. :)

Reaction score
I'm not an editor but I wouldn't think of any piece as 'wonderful' if it had grammatical errors in it.

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
Generally if the grammar is poor the underlying sentence structure is poor as well.
This is why both critique groups and beta readers are useful. These are things an agent or editor will expect the writer to be able to fix-
When my novel went through copyediting with the publisher the few remaining errors were caught.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I have seen the view expressed on several agent blogs that good writing goes hand-in-hand with good grammar. There really are very few diamonds in the rough turning up with sparkling storytelling and ropey grammar.
I think you need to do everything you can to get your work into the best possible shape for putting before agents and editors.

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
Writerterri, if you know that's a problem, why don't you fix it? It seems kind of crazy to knowingly send out a manuscript that still requires work. If you're smart enough to write a coherent story, you're smart enough to learn the grammar. Especially since English grammar is almost absurdly simple compared to most other Western languages.

Carrie R.

Procrastinating, clearly
Registered
Reaction score
If there are just "some grammar errors" (like 5-10 in an 80k novel) and the publisher loves the book, then I think they'd just ask you to fix the problems. I know I had a few mistakes in my book when it was bought (misspellings, odd phrasings, etc). Just depends on how deep the problems are and if the overall book is worth the effort.

Of course, the author always wants to put his or her best foot forward and that means submitting the cleanest manuscript possible. My theory is that you never want to give anyone an easy reason to reject you.

Mr. Fix

Fixed on the future...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
What if I am using 'imposed errors?'

I find this thread useful. I just have one question to add to the mix...

What if there are intentional errors?

I have several characters that use poor speaking habits, like dere instead of there, would this kind of - MS red underline - error cause issues with a publisher/editor?

such as; "I wouldn't go in dere Billy."

Last edited:

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score

I have several characters that use poor speaking habits, like dere instead of there, would this kind of - MS red underline - error cause issues with a publisher/editor?

That's dialect, not an error.

Khazarkhum

Registered
Reaction score
The example you give is dialect. Most editors will not have a problem with that.

"All y'all be fixin to git mah goat" is dialect and you don't have to be a genius to grasp that the speaker is from the south.

So if your MS has a distinct dialect, your editor will understand.:Hug2:

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
Writerterri, if you know that's a problem, why don't you fix it?

Excellent question. I, too, find the original post sort of mystifying.

There should be no doubts that the work is your best when you send it to an agent or an editor. It's hellaciously competitive, obviously. If you know it has errors, then it isn't your best...

MargueriteMing

Registered
Reaction score
Why would you ever send something out that isn't the best you can make it? That's not just unprofessional, it's foolish and says you take no pride in your work.

clockwatcher

Registered
Reaction score
Writerterri, if you know that's a problem, why don't you fix it? It seems kind of crazy to knowingly send out a manuscript that still requires work. If you're smart enough to write a coherent story, you're smart enough to learn the grammar. Especially since English grammar is almost absurdly simple compared to most other Western languages.

It might be one of those things where you spot an error after mailing it.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I'm not an editor but I wouldn't think of any piece as 'wonderful' if it had grammatical errors in it.

I'm with Judas on this one. I do edit...and if the grammar is horrid, in my opinion so is the piece. If you're talking one or two errors, I may be inclined to see past them. If the grammar is downright awful...that's a problem I can't see past.

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Terri, I'm not an editor - but, from experience I have had many things published that I know were not edited to a tee. I think it just depends on the publisher. Some are very strict on grammar. Yet, if the writing is wonderful - they are not going to pass it by just because it has a few errors. If it is just pages and pages of grammical errors (every other word is all out of whack) that might be a problem, but if it is just one here and there I do not see why that would cause a problem. My agent and I have a book out on submission now and I know without doubt it has a few errors inside.

Hope this helps. Maybe one of these smarty arties will have more info from the editors end. God bless!

I'm afraid grammar is not my strong point, but I'm not a total disaster. I know enough of the basics to get a good story out and a good point across. I just can't seem to retain the harder rules. I have a wonderful book called "Action Grammar." It's very well written in that I can understand. My slight learning disorder gets in my way though. But, yes, this did help.

Thanks!

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How many grammar errors are you talking about? One per paragraph? Per page? Per chapter?

Obviously, if it's teeming with errors, chances are the agent or publisher wouldn't even get through the reading to decide if they like it. But if you're just talking about a couple here and there, well, I've got to think that's forgivable. And I'm pretty sure the book will see an editor before publishing no matter what. Unless, of course, the publisher is PA. :)

Just a few, I hope. This is the answer I was looking for.

Thanks!!!

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Generally if the grammar is poor the underlying sentence structure is poor as well.
This is why both critique groups and beta readers are useful. These are things an agent or editor will expect the writer to be able to fix-
When my novel went through copyediting with the publisher the few remaining errors were caught.

Okay, that's what I was wondering.

Thanks!

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

True. I have a book I read and when it came to the tests, I did pretty well. I'm just talking about over looked errors in grammar on my part. Will they toss it out or will they check it over?

But I got my answer, thanks!!!

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If there are just "some grammar errors" (like 5-10 in an 80k novel) and the publisher loves the book, then I think they'd just ask you to fix the problems. I know I had a few mistakes in my book when it was bought (misspellings, odd phrasings, etc). Just depends on how deep the problems are and if the overall book is worth the effort.

Of course, the author always wants to put his or her best foot forward and that means submitting the cleanest manuscript possible. My theory is that you never want to give anyone an easy reason to reject you.

That's what I'm saying.

Thanks!!!

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

If it's the character speaking then fine. But it must not slow the reading down.

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Excellent question. I, too, find the original post sort of mystifying.

There should be no doubts that the work is your best when you send it to an agent or an editor. It's hellaciously competitive, obviously. If you know it has errors, then it isn't your best...

I should have been more specific. I meant a few overlooked errors.

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm with Judas on this one. I do edit...and if the grammar is horrid, in my opinion so is the piece. If you're talking one or two errors, I may be inclined to see past them. If the grammar is downright awful...that's a problem I can't see past.

Kev, I'm just talking a few after my final edit. *pinch*

sheesh!

Status
Not open for further replies.