Recorded Books

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tish Davidson

Registered
Reaction score
Do you listen to recorded books? I found a site www.librivox.org where volunteers read books in the public domain for free download. I've been putting the on my iPod and listening to them when walk the dogs or on airplanes. The quality of the reading is surprisingly good and I've listened to many authors I would probably never read. I discovered that I like Thomas Hardy to listen to but I can't stand reading him - too slow. The selection is eclectic and includes both fiction and non-fiction (things like historic speeches and essays) that are out of copyright.

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
I love recorded books - I have a slight eye problem that make conventional reading a little difficult, so I "read" through my ears all the time!

And that's a very cool site!

callie

Speaking of recorded books, (has anyone or) does anyone know of a site to go to where I might be able to submit a tape of my voice to the editor(s)? I have searched and searced for a site but have been dissuaded because these publishing houses use only "established actors" etc. etc.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Speaking of recorded books, (has anyone or) does anyone know of a site to go to where I might be able to submit a tape of my voice to the editor(s)? I have searched and searced for a site but have been dissuaded because these publishing houses use only "established actors" etc. etc.

Maybe you need to get an 'agent' for that!

Well, here's one idea - this guy mostly solicts SF/Fantasy stories for podcast, he often reads them himself, but apparently he sometimes has the author or someone else read the story, so you might ask. This won't pay a lot, if anything, but doing it might get you a 'clip':

http://escapepod.org/

And why not stick in this voiceover guy I've seen on Usenet, maybe this'll help you:

http://www.tyford.com

Blickensderfer

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for that website! I love audio books - it's how I continue to "read" while driving, folding laundry, cooking, walking the dog, etc. These days, a book has to be really special for me to stop everything and actually sit down with a paper version.

Status
Not open for further replies.