"Welcome to the longest year of your life."

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentJade

Registered
Reaction score
My 20th birthday is on Saturday, and that is the phrase I was greeted with upon opening a birthday card from my highschool friend Jacki. :rolleyes:

Turning 18 was fun...there's the sheer novelty of not needing permission forms signed, and the ability to call Miss Cleo and the pysic hotline at 2:30 in the morning. (Still haven't bought cigs or lottery tickets though!)

Nineteen...well, ok, you just had that milestone of an 18th birthday.

Twenty...well, now most of my friends at college are 21, so of course no one wants to take you out for your 20th. (Seriously, what's the fun in turning twenty, besides leaving your teenage adolescence behind? It's quite uneventful, lol). All I have to do is wait for next year.

It's silly how we're always looking forward to the next year, though. Because then I find the same people who wish they were 21 one day wish they were back in elementary school another. We all look forward to the next milestone...but then we forget to enjoy the present.

Funny, eh?

*end philosophical musings*

Betty W01

Empress of Cyberworld
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Christina, in case I forget (I'm way older than 20 and have correspondingly fewer brain cells...) -

7.gif

WVWriterGirl

Inked Mom
Registered
Reaction score
I don't even want to hear about turning 20. I turn the big 3-0 in October, so talk about a looooong year...

Oh well...my husband's birthday is the same day as mine, and he's turning 42 this year on our birthday. At least that will brighten my day this year! :)

WVWG

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Twenty sounds good to me.

I'm turning the big 5-0 this year. But don't tell anybody.

sthrnwriter

Snoopy Dance!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
I turned 21 last year, well actually four months ago, and it really didn't feel like a milestone to me. It just seemed like any ordinary day except now I'm old enough to buy beer legally. My 16-yr-old bro seemed to think I was going to buy him and his friends alcohol whenever they wanted. Boy was he wrong.

I think you should celebrate your birthday every year. It shouldn't matter if there is a certain significance behind it or not. Just enjoy being young.

Ok I'll quit rambling now. Happy early Birthday!

Compton

Registered
Reaction score
Well

You've got almost a year on me.

I'm not looking forward to getting older, but I'm not not looking forward to it either.

Just be glad that the good things that happened have happened, not that they're over.

When in doubt, ask the banana:

:banana:

Its gyrations are majestic, truly the pride of modern society.

Greenwolf103

I'm a grrrl dog, yo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dmcwriter.tripod.com
Ah, to be 20 again. I had more freedom and smaller hips. (sigh) When I turned 21, a waiter at the restaurant I celebrated my birthday at said, "Congratulations. You have nothing left to hope for."

Happy early 20th Birthday! :partyguy:

As for turning 30 ... *shudders* THAT was a depressing day!! Thank God it's over with. Now turning 31 this year doesn't hurt so much. But I still want my baseball game, since I didn't get it last year!!! *grr*

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
So I'm Weird

I actually didn't mind turning 30. And, once it was 30, I discovered something interesting: People stopped telling me my dreams and goals were not realistic. They still thought it, I'm sure, but they seemed to start assuming I was a reasonable adult with a right to make my own mistakes and they took my ideas more seriously.

In that way, I regarded it more of an opportunity. Doors that were closed to me before were now open.

KellyS.

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Happy Birthday!!!!!

When I turned 25, I had the HARDEST time. I had just had my first child and I was a quarter of a century years old. Thirty wasn't as hard for me. Working on 37 this year and *bleah* to birthdays period. Of course, I'm still into actually being around for birthdays, just not acknowledging them.

Birol said:
I actually didn't mind turning 30. And, once it was 30, I discovered something interesting: People stopped telling me my dreams and goals were not realistic. They still thought it, I'm sure, but they seemed to start assuming I was a reasonable adult with a right to make my own mistakes and they took my ideas more seriously.

In that way, I regarded it more of an opportunity. Doors that were closed to me before were now open.

tfdswift

Hillbilly Queen
Registered
Reaction score

First of all let me say

Happy Birthday!!!!

Next I want to say hi to WVWriterGirl... Your post struck me as funny, because I am from WV and my hubby and I have the same birthday, He is only 10 years older than me, though. It's just weird what a small world we live in.

~~Tammy

three seven

(Graeme Cameron)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Happy birthday Christina.

Greenwolf103 said:
As for turning 30 ... *shudders* THAT was a depressing day!! Thank God it's over with.
Yeah, thanks for sharing those thoughts - it's happening to me next Thursday.
sick.gif

I have to say, this last year seems to have been the shortest year of my life. When I was 21 I couldn't wait to be 30... and of course for the last six months I've been backpedalling furiously...

WVWriterGirl

Inked Mom
Registered
Reaction score
tfdswift said:
First of all let me say

Happy Birthday!!!!

Next I want to say hi to WVWriterGirl... Your post struck me as funny, because I am from WV and my hubby and I have the same birthday, He is only 10 years older than me, though. It's just weird what a small world we live in.

~~Tammy

Well, heya! Glad to see there's a fello 'Eer here...although I wear the green 'n' white myself. I'm from down around the southern coalfields...southwestern, exactly. Anyway, good to have a fellow mountain woman around!
:hooray:

WVWG

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
20?

Posh,

When I was 20 it took decades to chisel out a novel from the stone tablets. Editing was much harder then.

you should have seen how they red-lined without artificial ink!
Everyone wrote in NewRomans back then because the Old Romans were dead!

Who knows how famous I would have been if I didn't mis-titled my book

"Far an Dway"

Happy b'day youngen'!

AgentJade

Registered
Reaction score
Heh, thanks all. Don't worry, I'm not thoroughly disillusioned (yet). Though if I was, they do say that youth is wasted on the young ;-)....

Melina

Getting better all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atozwordsmith.com
Happy Birthday, Christina--

Isn't it funny? For me, it took forever to turn 21. Two weeks later, I was 35. I turn 40 this year, and I swear, it just keeps going faster and faster. Yeah, this may be the longest year of your life, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Enjoy!

Melina

Nivvie

Rejections, She Wrote.
Registered
Reaction score
three seven said:
Happy birthday Christina.

Yeah, thanks for sharing those thoughts - it's happening to me next Thursday.
sick.gif

I have to say, this last year seems to have been the shortest year of my life. When I was 21 I couldn't wait to be 30... and of course for the last six months I've been backpedalling furiously...

I was 29 a few days ago, I too expect this to be the shortest year of my life.
I pulled out 47 grey hairs the other day in a traffic jam.
Good job I've got a lot of hair...

Nivvie

Rejections, She Wrote.
Registered
Reaction score
jdkiggins said:
Careful, Nivvie,

Rumor has it that for every one you pull out, ten more grow in. :)

Joanne

Nooooooooooo!!!!
Now you tell me.
I probably should dye it. I have black hair, so each white one stands out like a freakin' lighthouse.

AgentJade

Registered
Reaction score
If it makes you feel any better Nivvie, I have too have gray hairs against black. ;)

Yeah, this may be the longest year of your life, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Don't wish to be older; wish to be wiser. Old age creeps up on you when you're not looking.

I love both of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.