London Tube Info...

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
... No, I'm not talking about Jude Law!

We're heading to London/Ireland in a few weeks and I'm wondering about tube passes. Anyone know what would be the most economical way to travel the underground? The exchange rate just went to 2.07 usd =1 gbp. Sucks!

We're only going to be in the city for 3 days at the end of our trip and we're staying near Heathrow, since we have a 6 am flight back to the US.

Help!

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
Sara, I found the Tube to be easily accessible, everywhere and the maps were keenly easy to read (In London anyway). I had about three days in town. I never took a taxi. One tube stop pops out at the base of Big Ben.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I'm so jealous!

I haven't been in literally decades, but I was always impressed by how clean and brightly lit the Tube was. Nothing like the sewers we call the subway here in Philly. You could take public transportation and be happy about it in London.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Lucky you, Sara. The tube is indeed the best way to travel but the cost is astounding, especially considering the exchange rate. My god, is it really 2.07? I was there in June and used it quite a few times -- at 1.5£ a ticket it's very steep.... Anyway, yeah, get an oyster card -- they have different types. As long as you only travel in Zone 1 (metro) you'll be fine (still steep -- I spent like 20£ on the tube just for a few days, because I liked to move around. However, sometimes I opted for walking. It's really not that far, for example, to walk from Oxford Road to Waterloo Station, and there are SO MUCH to see along the way, including the British Museum.)

Last edited:

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
We bought the Oyster card too and had no problems at all getting around. You'll go bankrupt if you take taxis.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
and I'll just second what everyone else has said. The tube is very efficient and the taxis very expensive (to get into town from Heathrow costs like 40 pounds [and that was to my place on the west side of London, not even downtown] ).

I am very jealous you are going. I would like to recommend you go to the Portrait Gallery Restaurant for tea (from 3pm - 5:30pm). It's on the top floor of the Portrait Gallery (not the bottom floor, there is a cafe on the bottom floor). It has one of the best views of London in the city, and the tea isn't that expensive. The Portrait Gallery is located behind the National Gallery (which in turn is on Trafalgar Square). Just ask anyone and they can show you. (the gallery itself is fantastic)

Also, if you are interested in art, Sir John Soane's Museum is amazing. It was the private residence of the architect, and it is just beautiful, and weird.

Anyway, have fun!!

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
We bought the Oyster card too and had no problems at all getting around. You'll go bankrupt if you take taxis.

Taxies are extraordinarily expensive. I took it once (I was out until 4 a.m. and the tube wasn't open) and it cost me an arm and a leg. I had to crawl back to my hotel.

At Heathrow they have the Heathrow Express to Paddington, which connects with the tube. The best deal in town. It leaves every 15 minutes on the dot, and costs only 15 quids. The ride is short and comfortable.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Yes but you can also just take the tube in from Heathrow as well. The Picadilly line goes right to the airport, and it is even cheaper than the express. In fact I never really understood why anyone took the express at all!

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Ugh, the tube from Heathrow takes over an hour -- yeah, it's cheap but I hate to travel an hour in a crowded train with all my luggage. Plus all the stops. (I used to take the subway from LaGuardia to Manhattan and I hated that ride.)

The Express is the best way -- it's only a 15-minute ride. And depending on how much luggage you have... the taxi fares from Paddington to major hotels (I stayed in Kensington so it was just a short distance from Paddington) are not that bad.

Foinah

Smoking Monkey Smart Arse
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.foinahjameson.com
Where in Ireland are you going? I'm from the North of Ireland and haven't been home since '96. Originally left in '84. Can't help you with the Tube info, never went to England growing up. Spent time in Scotland -- woohoo.

Post pics!!!! I'm home sick.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Mona tried to tell me
to stay away from the train line.
She said that all them railroad men
just drink up your blood like wine.
And I said, "Oh, I didn't know that.
But then again there's only one I've met.
And he just smoked my eyelids,
And punched my cigarette."

-- Bob Dylan

caw

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if you'll have kids with you on your trip, but PM me if you want some fun suggestions. We went to London June with a 5 and 8 year old and they LOVED it.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Where in Ireland are you going? I'm from the North of Ireland and haven't been home since '96. Originally left in '84. Can't help you with the Tube info, never went to England growing up. Spent time in Scotland -- woohoo.
My husband's best friend lives in Co. Claire, so that's where we always go and then travel around from there. This time, we're heading down to Kinsale for a few days. Other than that, we'll be on the west coast most of the time.

I'll post pics. I absolutely love Ireland. I always feel like I'm going home when I travel there. This trip has a great writer excuse, since my novel is set in Ireland. I have several friends that are going to beta for me and a garde officer to interview about lingo. :)

I don't know if you'll have kids with you on your trip, but PM me if you want some fun suggestions. We went to London June with a 5 and 8 year old and they LOVED it.
My 16 month old is coming with us, but he's pretty easy going. Keeping him busy will become more of an issue next year! So, send the suggestions my way.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so envious. I've wanted to visit Ireland nearly all my life and I haven't made it yet!

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
If you're in County Clare then visit Moran's Oyster Cottage in Kilcolgan which is just a bit north in Co Galway. Best pint of Guinness in the west and a really good seafood chowder
Yes, we've done Moran's. It was good. I have a few favorite restaurants in the Ennis/Coast area, but most of them close up on October 31. :( This is my favorite restaurant in the world, I'm not exaggerating. http://barrtra.com/ They're only open on the weekends during Nov/Dec, but it's totally worth it. I've never had a dish there that didn't make my taste buds pop. And their desserts? OMG. It's simple food, but delicious. If you're ever going to the West Coast of Ireland, Barrtra is a must eat restaurant.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I'm probably going to be in Ireland for Christmas (married to a Galway woman) and I'll keep that place in mind. Long trip from where I'll be staying, but looks worth it.