Not open for further replies.

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
Just came back from Books-A-Million. Bought a copy of "A Contract With God" by Will Eisner, which I'll read tomorrow. I like that store. And, its comics/graphic novel section has exploded since I first arrived here four years ago (which could be an indicator of growth in the genre. Who knows?)

However, what I would tell you is this: Marvel/DC crushes everything else for shelf space. I mean, C-R-U-S-H-E-S. Admittedly, the smaller publishers don't have the sort of muscle or reach that Marvel Entertainment Group of DC has. However, it is sad to see just how little affect Dark Horse, Image and others have. Also, little mature content and certainly nothing like Cerebus from Aardvark-Vanaheim or other boutique publishers. This is a small town, admittedly, and I wasn't expecting miracles. However, there isn't a good comic store here for miles (Atlanta, actually, 127 miles).

So, I ask, what's been your experience? Where do you buy your material? have you seen the same thing? Does that put you off as a future GN publisher/artist/writer?

InfinityGoddess

Goddess of Infinity
Registered
Reaction score
Website
infinitygoddess.net
I go to the Barnes and Noble over by where my parents live. It has a huge section of graphic novels, most of them being manga but you see others as well.

Meanwhile, my book is being sold through Amazon.com, which also has a sizeable selection of non-Marvel/DC stuff, so I'm not the least bit worried. :D

Dr. Hellfire

Borders near me has an entire shelf/aisle both sides of Manga and only about 1/4 shelf of Marvel/DC stuff. I make out much better at my local comic store. Which, luckily is only five minutes away.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Indeed, in bookstore near me manga is crushing DC & Marvel. But I have always bought mainly from those two because I dig the superheros more than the other stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.