Kindest cuts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ymmatrysk

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new-ish.
Anyone else feel like the nice rejections hurt worse than the form letters or the snarky ones? I had an agent send me just the nicest rejection, I had to read it twice to understand if she was passing or not. I'm not sure why her kind words stung so much more than some of the ones that amounted to 'your novel is crap'.
Anyway, gripe gripe gripe...
Ymma

arkady

Registered
Reaction score
ymmatrysk said:
Hi all, I'm new-ish.
Anyone else feel like the nice rejections hurt worse than the form letters or the snarky ones? I had an agent send me just the nicest rejection, I had to read it twice to understand if she was passing or not. I'm not sure why her kind words stung so much more than some of the ones that amounted to 'your novel is crap'.
Anyway, gripe gripe gripe...
Ymma

It's probably because a standard "get lost" isn't even hitting the target, while a "nice rejection" [sic] is a near-miss.

If I ever get a "nice rejection," I'll let you know for sure.

Rose

Escribo, entonces existo.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi ymmatrysk,

My reaction is the opposite of yours. An onslaught of form rejection letters (from magazine editors, I've never subbed a book) really brings me down. But a kind letter, even a nice FORM letter, shoots me a glimmer of hope that keeps me going.

Does that make me sound like a pollyanna? In real life I'm quite sarcastic!

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
You're not wrong Rose. You're very close to hitting the mark. Developing craft can be almost akin to going through learning stages. Form rejections generally follow new beginings. Written rejections are indications that the editor was touched or affected somehow. Glowing rejections are signs that something is very correct and on its way--these kinds give great boosts to the ego, and sometimes I actually look forward to them. Tri

ymmatrysk

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks!

Thanks for the encouraging words, all. I hope you're right, that I'm close. So far two agents seem to have come really close but 'passed' in the end. Of course, that's amongst the myriad that simply said no, never said anything, or even the one editor at Champagne Publishing that really let me have it (I think I touched a nerve or something!). Keep on truckin', I guess.
Ymma

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, all

I once got a beautiful letter from a publishing company. It was gold embossed too and from the way it sounded, I thought it was an acceptance because what they wrote was so complimentary. The last line killed that thought when the sentence read, "Sorry, we can't use it."

So, from now on, I don't want any nice rejection letters, I just want nasty acceptance letters and checks!:)

Hope you all get lots of acceptances, Susie:)

Greenwolf103

I'm a grrrl dog, yo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dmcwriter.tripod.com
sherri234 said:
So, from now on, I don't want any nice rejection letters, I just want nasty acceptance letters and checks!:)

YEAH! Me too!

It's a strange day that a writer is stunned by a kind rejection. Says a lot about rejecting editors, don't it?

I agree, though. A no is still a no.

Status
Not open for further replies.