Status
Not open for further replies.

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
I didn't mean to MST my story. All I wanted to do was write notes on a draft one of my old novels. (I've always liked the story, and I know someday I'll get it right. :tongue

But as I went on, my comments got snarkier and snarkier. For example, "God, she sounds like an obsessed teen-ager. Wait, I think I WAS an obsessed teen-ager when I wrote this..." But I couldn't help getting snarky. My characters tended to say stupid things, whine, and throw temper tantrums. The writing was sophomoric -- which is appproriate as I finished it during my sophomore year of college.

Heck, I even named an alien after my pediatrician. Dr. Yim became Dr. Y'ym in my story. (Because everyone know that al'ien cul'tures use l'ots of apos'trophes.) I hope my pediatrician didn't mind being named after an alien whose mouth was in his chest.
:ROFL:

Anyway, the MST'ing has turned into a real learning experience. The more I looked for ways to make fun of my old draft, the more I found ways to improve it. The story has a pulse again!
:hooray:

Last edited:

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
This is the only MSTing of writing I've ever seen.
That's a classic. :D

I didn't go the "full budget" route with Mike, Tom Servo, and Crow. Maybe I should try that someday. I know some authors put deleted scenes and other "DVD extras" on their web sites. Is the world ready for an author putting up a MST'ed early draft? :) (For that matter, most authors don't even like to show their early drafts. In a book on revision, Mike Resnick shared some of his drafts to show how he revised his work. But that's pretty rare.)

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I always loved MST. But have I ever done it to my own books? Not on purpose, but then the people who made those movies didn't make it to be deliberately parodied either.

If they had, it wouldn't have worked nearly so well, the MST-ing of them.

I am enjoying this MST'd short story no end, though.

WittyandorIronic

Registered
Reaction score
I do this for most of my sex scenes.
I think it is similar to a new parent thinking up all the mean and nasty nick names that the other kids will create, just to be sure that it isn't too bad before they commit their name to the birth certificate.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I do this for most of my sex scenes.
I think it is similar to a new parent thinking up all the mean and nasty nick names that the other kids will create, just to be sure that it isn't too bad before they commit their name to the birth certificate.

It's funny you say that. I spent so much time doing that with Zach, before he was born. And here I thought I was alone and overly paranoid... :D

WittyandorIronic

Registered
Reaction score
Ha. Funny, because I thought EVERYONE did that. I have 2 step-kids, none of my own, and I worry about names I simply like in passing. lol.

lfraser

Bored and Frantic
Registered
Reaction score
Say, anyone feel like MST'ing my unfinished, 95,000 word fantasy? I could use a laugh right about now.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This made my day. I've read The Eye of Aragon before, but I'd never seen it MST'd.

No, I've never tried it in my own work. I"m pretty mean. I might make myself cry.

lfraser

Bored and Frantic
Registered
Reaction score
I googled up the Eye of Aragon, and feel much better. It's heartening to know that no matter how bad my writing is, somewhere out in the aether there is a story that is worse than mine. I can go on, now.

Voyager

Ribbed for your pleasure.
Registered
Reaction score
No, but I will now. Too funny

Stormhawk

Angry Bunny Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.requirecookie.com
I went back and reread some of my old fanfic yesterday (mainly cause they're still up on FFN and I like reading old reviews), and I was shocked. I though I was a stagnant hack who never got any better...I kinda realised I'd improved, if only a little. :p

mcnorth

Gigantopithecus canadensis
Registered
Reaction score
I MST just about every second of my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.