• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Help needed! Beta reader needed for police procedural

Status
Not open for further replies.

SecretScribe

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there

I had some really bad news this week. I have been racking up a huge number of rejections, but at least had one request for a full. Then got the rejection for that. It said:

"You write well, and the opening of your novel was dramatic and gripping. Unfortunately, however, I did not find your characters as engaging, or as thoroughly developed, as I may have hoped, and I felt that the novel lost pace as a result. I do believe that pace and characterisation are crucial when it comes to standing out in the crime-fiction market."

So there it is - characterisation and pace. I am not sure how to fix this and would REALLY appreciate it if other writers would read my manuscript and make some suggestions. I really believe in this story and think that it could be great.

I hope someone will be able to help me!!

Thank you
Secret Scribe (right now with a very sore heart) :cry:

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
I'm new here, but I'm a former editor and an avid reader of police procedurals, including every one from the UK I can get my hands on. Some of my favorites are Peter Lovesey, Cynthia Harrod-Eagles, Bill James, Reginald Hill, and of course the Great Dames, P.D. James and Ruth Rendell.

So I'd be glad to join your beta readers!

Status
Not open for further replies.