PDA

View Full Version : [Agency] BookEnds, LLC / Beyond the Page Publishing

Pages : [1] 2

advicesisterA
08-18-2004, 03:36 AM
This is my first post here .

I have been approached by Jacky Sach, literary agent, to do a project for Adams Media, a publisher.

I have not have experience either with the agent or the publisher. I won't go into the details although I am surprised that I was approached by an agent since it's usually the other way around.

Should I be flattered, or worried? I'm writing to ask if anyone has possible feedback on the agent or the publisher. My assumption, based on the lack of info out there so far, is that they are both on the level and, should I find the deal acceptable, not in for any major, nasty surprises.

But I could really use some reassurance and feedback on this one. Thanks in advance for providing it, if you can.

Thanks!

James D Macdonald
08-18-2004, 03:40 AM
Is this to be a non-fiction book, and are you a noted authority in the field?

vstrauss
08-18-2004, 04:30 AM
Is this is Jacky Sach of BookEnds? If so, it's a successful agency with a solid record of sales and, as far as I'm aware, a good reputation. (I believe BookEnds also does book packaging, so you should be clear on whether she's approaching you as a literary agent or a packager.)

Adams Media is a well-known nonfiction publisher.

Did she approach you as a result of published work? This does sometimes happen.

- Victoria

advicesisterA
08-18-2004, 04:55 AM
yes to all your questions. Yes, it's a non-fiction book. Yes, I am a noted author in my field. Yes, i assume she approached me after doing an internet check for relationship experts as she initially said how much she liked my web site. Yes, she approached me as an agent, not a book packager.

But I've never been asked to do a work for hire. While I have some potentially great ideas for this book, I'm worried about giving them away for a flat rate with no hope of holidng onto the ideas OR the content.

On the other hand, my ideas could sit locked in my head or in outlines on my hard drive for a long time, or perhaps, forever, The relationship field is a very competitive one. I haven't attempted to publish one without a co-author but since my co-author died, I haven't really gone after this kind of work.

I'm really not sure what to do.

aka eraser
08-18-2004, 06:10 AM
Are you certain the contract is for work for hire? Perhaps it can be negotiated. Asking never hurts.

James D Macdonald
08-18-2004, 06:12 AM
Friends don't let friends sign work-for-hire contracts.

Negotiate. The copyright in your name, and advance vs. royalties.

If it's that hot an idea, you'll find a publisher who will give you that, and they know it.

advicesisterA
08-18-2004, 06:17 AM
I was told no negotiation - it is definitely one of their work for hire series so they aren't going to let me get hold of the copyright. Work for hire generally means no royalties (and that was spelled out immediately). It's a flat rate and total ownership. But..it never hurts to try and I will . I don't WANT to work for hire and I never have before, but I want to be writing again. This fell in my lap and is an easy way back to business.

Life is hard, everything else, easy

James D Macdonald
08-18-2004, 06:37 AM
Hmmm... if she's offering a work-for-hire contract, no negotiation, that's a packager deal, not agency representation.

Let your conscience be your guide.

absolutewrite
08-18-2004, 04:38 PM
James, not true with Adams... I wrote a book for them (Words You Thought You Knew) for standard advance/royalty. Then I pitched them a book for another line of theirs and they offered me a work-for-hire flat rate contract. I balked, they told me it was non-negotiable. Even my editor (who liked me plenty) couldn't get them to negotiate terms. It seems that for certain series of theirs, they'll only do work-for-hire. Dumb. But it's not a packaging deal.

Oh, and BookEnds is good. I have recommended friends of mine to them. Nice people, solid sales, seem to be good communicators, and both were authors. I think I interviewed Jessica. Could have been Jacky. I forget which.

James D Macdonald
08-18-2004, 04:47 PM
I've done a bunch of work-for-hire gigs in my career, enough to say that they're a mistake.

absolutewrite
08-18-2004, 05:40 PM
Oh. I should have clarified: I did NOT take the work-for-hire deal with Adams. Sold the book to a different publisher.

I have, however, worked for book packagers-- the first two books I wrote were for packagers. Children's educational books. I don't regret it. I enjoyed the experience and made enough money to make it worth my while.

advicesisterA
08-18-2004, 10:07 PM
thanks again for all your feedback. I think that there are valid reasons to hold out for a regular book contract. On the other hand, there are times in life when you might accept a job you wouldn't normally consider. For me, this is one of those times. So, while I'm still not sure what I'll do, I do know my reasons for possibly doing this project. It isn't the money, but there are other real and potential benefits.

Again, I want to thank you for helping me put some perspective on this situation. I hope I can do the same for someone else in a similar situation, someday (smile)!

CaoPaux
07-28-2005, 03:05 AM
http://www.bookends-inc.com/index.htm

Gee, that middle book looks familiar. ;)

jerseykat
11-21-2005, 08:36 PM
http://www.bookends-inc.com

Has anyone worked with them? Or have heard any stories about working with them?

They seem OK to me, but I just want to make sure.

Maryn
11-22-2005, 02:17 AM
Preditors and Editors gives them its coveted dollar sign, which means "has one or more verified sales to a legitimate royalty-paying publisher."

Maryn, sure someone with more information will arrive in due time

Perks
11-23-2005, 08:49 PM
Very nice, very professional and excellent sales record. Jacky Sach read my manuscript and, although ultimately declined, gave me valuable feedback and priceless encouragement. Jump at the chance to impress them.

UrsusMinor
01-08-2006, 11:48 PM
I'm with Perks. Jacky is great--and when she sat on an ms of mine (liked it, but decided it was too far outside her list), when she rejected it she referred me to two agents she thought would want it, and invited me to say that she had recommended it to them.

She's smart, thoughtful, and considerate, and I would have signed with her in a flash. (She was also right--my ms. was too far off her list.)

Sonarbabe
01-08-2006, 11:53 PM
Very polite, though they ultimately passed on my ms.

OneTeam OneDream
01-09-2006, 12:52 AM
they are quick too

thewriterslife
01-09-2006, 04:47 AM
I'm not sure about quick. They've had mine for about two years now. I think it got lost...:cry:

Dorothy

Grampa Joe
02-21-2006, 07:50 PM
Whoo-whee! Now I'm psyched! I just got an email from agent Kim Lionetti at Bookends wanting to see more about The Murder of Andrew Sigler. First agent that hasn't said "no". :snoopy:

KAP
02-21-2006, 08:46 PM
Whoo-whee! Now I'm psyched! I just got an email from agent Kim Lionetti at Bookends wanting to see more about The Murder of Andrew Sigler. First agent that hasn't said "no". :snoopy:

WooHoo! Go, Grandpa Joe. Wow 'em.

Branwyn
02-21-2006, 09:30 PM
Good Luck

They passed on my proposal. They were fairly quick. 8 weeks.

Grampa Joe
02-21-2006, 09:51 PM
Good Luck

They passed on my proposal. They were fairly quick. 8 weeks.
Oh, dear, Baywitch. All I can do is keep my fingers and toes crossed, then. I need to get a proposal to them, and I've not been successful at building one before. Need to make this super-dooper, I guess. I'll get my wife to help cuz she is good at proposals. She proposed to me about 50 years ago.

RoccoMom
02-22-2006, 02:24 AM
from all I have heard, BookEnds is legit and very professional. they've passed on all my manuscripts so far, but their reputation is very good.

Cheryll
02-22-2006, 03:46 AM
I agree with everyone who's posted here. Jacky Sach passed on my manuscript as well, but she gave me some excellent feedback. :)

Best of luck to you!

Cheryll

Grampa Joe
02-27-2006, 08:34 PM
I just got an email from Kim Lionetti at BookEnds asking for the POD copy of the book. Only agent, so far, that as not been scared off by the word "POD".
The book is in the mail. :hooray:

Branwyn
02-27-2006, 10:56 PM
:Hug2: Good Luck Grampa Joe

thewriterslife
03-18-2006, 06:28 AM
Good luck, Grampa Joe! It's been a few weeks since you posted this...what's the outcome so far?

Dorothy

Scrawler
07-13-2006, 06:32 AM
Speaking of BookEnds-- today I finally received a rejection (a form letter dated nearly a month ago) to a query I sent in October 2005 to Kimberly Lionetti.
She had to put in her 2 cents...postage rates had gone up since my SASE arrived ;-)

Sonarbabe
07-13-2006, 06:40 AM
Sorry to hear that Mims.

Any news yet, Grampa Joe? I'm really curious since it was Ms. Lionetti who passed on my work...all three times I submitted to her. ;) (I'm holding out for you!!!)

ChaosTitan
07-20-2006, 07:04 PM
I apologize if this was the wrong place to post this, but I kept staring at the forums, wondering where to ask.

I received my first "we'd like to see more material" from Jacky Sach this morning. She invited me look at their submission guidelines on the BookEnds website. The only problem is I can't get the website to work (I can't tell if it's a site error, or my computer being stupid).

Does anyone happen to have the BookEnds submission requirements handy? I'll trade 'em for a rep point. :D

waylander
07-20-2006, 07:10 PM
According to AQ the submission requirements are synopsis + 3 chs (no more than 50 pages). The Bookends site would not load for me either.

ChaosTitan
07-20-2006, 07:29 PM
Perfect! Thank you so much, waylander.

Muggsie
07-20-2006, 07:53 PM
I sent Kim Lionetti a query for fiction on June 1 and have heard nothing. Don't know if that helps.

JerseyGirl1962
07-20-2006, 08:16 PM
Their site wouldn't load for me, either.

Their blog is up, though.

Maybe the near-hurricane winds that whipped through NJ the other day is wreaking havoc on their website (they're in Gillette, NJ)? Things were so bad, not only did another branch crack off our tree in our backyard (just narrowly missing my car), but we only got cable back this morning. A day and a half without cable. :cry:

Anyway, don't quote me on the weather thing, although it might be something to consider.

~Nancy

RoccoMom
07-20-2006, 09:35 PM
I know Jacky Sachs of BookEnds is supposed to be at the Backspace Conference in NYC tomorrow and Saturday.

Popeyesays
07-20-2006, 09:39 PM
It loaded okay for me. But I am cut-off right away, since they do not handle
science fiction, military fiction, or technothrillers, and my book is all three.

Regards,
Scott

ChaosTitan
07-21-2006, 06:50 AM
The site loaded for me around noon, as well. It was probably just a momentary glitch. And thanks for the info, Toni.

MicheleLee
08-12-2006, 07:04 AM
They requested a partial from me from an equery. Go me!

clara bow
08-12-2006, 09:41 AM
way to go!

nancy02664
08-12-2006, 10:31 AM
I had an interesting experience with Jessica Faust from BookEnds:

After seeing my proposal, she called and left a message, seeming excited about the project and asking me to call her back. I spent the next week trying to get in touch with her, but didn't hear anything back either by phone or by e-mail.

Then she left another phone message basically retracting the first--saying something like, "We've reconsidered, and turns out maybe it's not the best fit for us after all." All well and good, but why leave such a positive, get-your-hopes-up sort of message in the first place before really thinking it over? I thought this behavior a little odd...

RoccoMom
08-12-2006, 05:16 PM
I had an interesting experience with Jessica Faust from BookEnds:

After seeing my proposal, she called and left a message, seeming excited about the project and asking me to call her back. I spent the next week trying to get in touch with her, but didn't hear anything back either by phone or by e-mail.

Then she left another phone message basically retracting the first--saying something like, "We've reconsidered, and turns out maybe it's not the best fit for us after all." All well and good, but why leave such a positive, get-your-hopes-up sort of message in the first place before really thinking it over? I thought this behavior a little odd...

Was your project fiction or non-fiction?
She requested my partial back in June and I still have not heard.

nancy02664
08-13-2006, 02:14 AM
Was your project fiction or non-fiction?
She requested my partial back in June and I still have not heard.

Non-fiction -- a baby name book.

kristin724
08-13-2006, 07:23 AM
I've had no problems with their webpage and submitted a package to Jacky a few days ago. Hopefully she will be quick. I am desperate for the finances that the sale of this piece could generate. Hope and Pray!

Project nachonaco
08-31-2006, 01:58 AM
Any thoughts?

BarbaraSheridan
08-31-2006, 02:09 AM
All the agents there were editors at Berkley. Very legit solid sales record. Jessica Faust was my very first editor.

Scrawler
08-31-2006, 02:52 AM
I think there's already a thread on this- I'm sure I added my thoughts previously...?

Perks
08-31-2006, 02:58 AM
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22401&highlight=Jacky+Sach

kristin724
08-31-2006, 06:25 AM
I haven't heard anything on my proposal yet, but it hasn't been anywhere near the response time stated. I did briefly think about submitted to another agent at Bookends, but that isn't good business.

K

Grampa Joe
09-01-2006, 11:30 PM
Sorry to hear that Mims.

Any news yet, Grampa Joe? I'm really curious since it was Ms. Lionetti who passed on my work...all three times I submitted to her. ;) (I'm holding out for you!!!)
I'm still waiting to hear from Kim Lionetti. I am still keeping my fingers crossed. I hope Kim is not holding her breath for my 1/2 done new true crime fiction.
Grampa
P.S. Congrats to all the rest of you who have heard one way or another from Bookends.

transom-jumper
02-15-2007, 07:45 PM
Grampa Joe,
Have you heard back from Kim Lionetti yet? Just curious since I've twice sent to her in the past and have yet to get a response. It seems a tiny black hole is in orbit over her out-box. The gravitational pull sucks SASE's into a parallel universe where green, four-dimensional creatures with names like Quark and Zarb read our acceptance letters. Oh, well, Kim probably has a clutter-free desk. As an aside, it's never wise to send 1/2 finished fiction to any agent. It should be crisp, clean and as ready to publish as you can make it.
Transom-Jumper

Grampa Joe
02-16-2007, 06:27 PM
Sorry to hear that Mims.

It took Kim about 6 months to read my mss. Got a nice letter (form?) saying thanks, but no thanks.
I'll just keep pluggin' along.

transom-jumper
02-17-2007, 01:00 AM
Sorry to hear about the rejection, Grampa Joe. It took her six-months to reply? Maybe my ms. hasn't gone missing. Perhaps next week on the one year anniversary of its submission I'll get a card. I hope she doesn't wait until our silver or gold anniversary to send a gift. Luckily there are 987 other agents still waiting to see my manuscript for the very first time. Keep hammerin' those typewriter keys.
Transom-Jumper

Thomma Lyn
02-17-2007, 06:18 PM
I sent a snail mail query to Kim Lionetti around the first of October 2006 and I've yet to hear back. From what I understand, BookEnds is a very good agency, just slow when it comes to queries.

They have a blog (http://bookendslitagency.blogspot.com/), too.

Chumplet
02-17-2007, 10:18 PM
Jessica Faust at BookEnds hung on to my query for several months, and I offered (through her blog and then email) to send a revamped query in case the original was lost. She apologized, dug out the old query, and rejected it. But she was very nice about it, and offered advice on the premise and word count.

I just wish she'd read the new query and sample instead. Plus, the word count had grown since the first query. Oh, well.. maybe the next one.

WordGypsy
11-25-2007, 11:08 PM
Jacky has a partial of mine sent about 2 weeks ago...I'll let you guys know when I hear something! Good luck everyone!

Sonarbabe
11-26-2007, 02:04 AM
I've sent various manuscripts to BookEnds and Jessica Faust has been very nice. Granted, she rejected all of them, but on the last one she said the only reason why she was passing was because she didn't handle catagory romance. BUT, she did offer to look at any single title manuscripts I might have. Very sweet of her, I think.

tammieofmi
11-27-2007, 06:17 AM
Kim has a partial of mine and I'm at that 3 month period. I thought they moved rather quickly and it was an email query.

aliajohnson
11-27-2007, 06:26 AM
Kim has a partial of mine and I'm at that 3 month period. I thought they moved rather quickly and it was an email query.

Congrats! But no, they can be pretty slow. They were the very first agency I ever queried, and the very last to respond. Took them about six months or so. It's my understanding that they're worth the wait if you can get them though. Good luck! :)

Soccer Mom
11-27-2007, 07:17 AM
My experience with them was that they were very nice, but slow. Kim has my ms for 6 mos before passing. It wasn't an exclusive, so I didn't stress out much.

sheadakota
12-19-2007, 12:57 AM
Jacky Sach requested a partial from me, I have been waiting 13 weeks for a reply. I e-mail her asking if she had gotten to it yet. I got a very nice reply stating she hadn't read it yet, but was looking foreward to reading it.- I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

williamfromkc
12-31-2007, 07:13 PM
I received a polite rejection within 6 days of my query.

ixchel
12-31-2007, 09:59 PM
Passed on my partial too. Quick response.

WordGypsy
01-23-2008, 11:10 AM
Just received an email from Jacky after inquiring as to whether or not she received the partial...it's been over 2 1/2 months. She was very polite and said she'd get to it asap! Fingers crossed!

andracill
01-23-2008, 08:29 PM
Hm...guess I can't SQ yet when it's only be a month ;)

WordGypsy
01-24-2008, 12:23 AM
LOL! Yeah, I'd hold off for a while. It seems like they're either behind or this is the status quo. Either way, it's an awesome agency with top notch agents and VERY worth the wait!

xiaotien
02-22-2008, 01:06 AM
1 day ejection from jacky sach.

sheadakota
02-22-2008, 02:00 AM
I e-mailed a query to Jacky Sach- less than 24 hours laters she asked for a partial- it took her over 16 weeks to get back to me, but she did ask for a full read :)
It has been 7 weeks since I gave her the MS- I hate waiting with my fingers crossed- very uncomfortable!

She was very polite and proffesional with her dealings with me so far-

xiaotien
02-22-2008, 03:15 AM
good luck, shea!! keep us posted!

sheadakota
02-22-2008, 04:04 AM
Thanks! Will do!

LiteraryChick
02-27-2008, 04:11 AM
I have to admit that I was disappointed by this agency. I had read so many good things about it that I queried Jessica Faust (ages ago) and rec'd a request for a partial a few days later. I sent a status query six months later and received an email saying that they did receive the partial but hadn't gotten to it yet. I waited another three months, sent a status query, and no reply. That was over a year ago. Obviously I just scratched Bookends off of my list, but I was definitely surprised because everyone says such good things about the agency.

juneafternoon
02-27-2008, 04:37 AM
^ I hear more and more stories about people meeting enthusiastic agents at first and then getting put off longer and longer until they get fed up and remove all hope from the agency. That sucks :(

ink wench
02-27-2008, 07:41 PM
Wow, sorry to hear it. I had a super fast turn around from Jessica with my partial. About a week and half, I think. It was a rejection, but at least she didn't keep me hanging.

sheadakota
03-03-2008, 06:14 PM
All right, I'm not sure what to do here. I am currently waiting to hear from an agency (Bookends), they are reading a full right now. I am only 9 weeks into a 10-12 week wait according to their website. My dilemma is that shortly before I heard from Bookends, I also sent the same MS to a small publishing house acceptng submissions. I just heard back from the Pub saying they are interested.

I REALLY want to go with bookends, so do I e-mail the agency and tell them a small pub is interested or do I go with the bird in the hand- AKKK! I need some advice, please!
Thanks, Annie

aruna
03-03-2008, 07:42 PM
DEFINITELY tell the agency. That may get you an immediate read, and they can certainly get you a better deal, or even a better/bigger publisher.

Toothpaste
03-03-2008, 07:42 PM
Well the good news is if you are almost at the end of your 10 - 12 week wait, it isn't like you are leaving the publishing house waiting on an answer for that long. That being said, I'd write to Bookends and inform them of the situation. I think it could only help your cause as then they'd see there was interest in publishing your work. As far as the publishing house goes, why not say you'd like a few weeks to think it over. Or you could also be honest, explain that you have it out with an agent, and would like to wait to hear back from them.

victoriastrauss
03-03-2008, 08:55 PM
Is it an advance-paying publisher? That might pique agency interest. Otherwise, probably not.

You don't have to give the publisher an answer right away. Hang in there, and wait to hear from BookEnds.

- Victoria

Julie Worth
03-03-2008, 09:04 PM
I am only 9 weeks into a 10-12 week wait according to their website.

I wouldn't take that seriously. It could be years (if ever!) before you get a response.

Toothpaste
03-03-2008, 09:25 PM
Actually I disagree. If it is stated on their website that that is the wait time, I think there is nothing wrong with, after the wait has passed, to give them a call or email and ask what's up. After all you are going by the information that they are providing you.

Julie Worth
03-03-2008, 09:50 PM
Actually I disagree.

Are you disagreeing with me? Because I'm in favor of emailing them immediately with the offer in hand, as who knows how long they could take. The time listed on their website, like so many, is terribly optimistic.

Toothpaste
03-03-2008, 10:03 PM
I suppose I am disagreeing with the idea that despite what they say on their own website it could take "years" to hear back from them. Now it is possible they would take more time than they say on their site, but that is their problem, not the author's. I think the idea of "who knows how long they could take" when they state clearly how long they would take, is putting way too much power in their corner and implying that had Annie not had an offer from a publisher she should still not expect to hear from them in the time they state. If an agency says they will get back to you in a certain time, and they don't, it is well within the author's rights to ask what's up.

Your point, that it could still take years was off for me because it shouldn't if the author checked up with the agency after the passing of the due date.

I wasn't actually talking about the subject at hand, but more your suggestion that the agency was allowed to take years despite saying otherwise on their site. If you are going to post timelines on your site as an agent, you had better either live up to the promise, or expect to be called on it.

At any rate, it's no big deal, and of course we agree on the notifying the agent thing about the publisher. I guess I just sort of wanted to comment on the agency taking years thing despite the claim on their site. While I am a huge supporter of agents, I do think they have to be held accountable for their promises. But still . . . a bit of a digression and I apologise!

sheadakota
03-04-2008, 12:14 AM
Ok - Thanks all for the advice- I think I will E-mail the agent in question and tell her about the interest- I just hope she doesn't say 'Ok, good luck and bye"

I am hoping she will get busy reading my MS!

Thanks so much for the much needed advice- (I'm not sure of the Publishers details- got to refresh my memory!)

mysterygrl
03-04-2008, 12:55 AM
My situation was slightly different: I had an offer of representation. But when I told Jackie at BookEnds, she responded immediately, and read my ms in about three days (two of those days were Saturday and Sunday).

I do know that BookEnds represents authors who are with smaller publishers/imprints, such as Poisoned Pen Press and Midnight Ink.

Best of luck with whatever happens next.

sheadakota
03-04-2008, 01:16 AM
Mystery Girl, did you end up going with Jacky? Just curious as she is the agent at Bookends who Is reading my manuscript.

Toothpaste
03-04-2008, 01:20 AM
Annie, don't worry about her saying good luck then. That is the sort of thing that maybe they might say if it was another agent (fine, go with my competitor see if I care, sort of thing), but it's a good thing for an agent that a publisher is interested, it shows the work is getting interest. Agents aren't competing with publishers. They work together.

Have faith! This is all good news!

mysterygrl
03-04-2008, 05:24 AM
Mystery Girl, did you end up going with Jacky? Just curious as she is the agent at Bookends who Is reading my manuscript.

No, she didn't offer representation. But her response was very detailed and kind. I know several writers who are repped by Jackie and think very highly of her.

clara bow
03-04-2008, 05:35 AM
I wouldn't take that seriously. It could be years (if ever!) before you get a response.

or never. i know of one author, now multi published, who never heard back from them on her full.

justme
03-11-2008, 06:00 PM
I received a rejection from Jessica Faust yesterday. She seems extremely nice and fast as well.

sheadakota
03-11-2008, 06:03 PM
I am still waiting to hear back from Jacky Sach- but to be fair this week is 10 weeks into the promised 10-12 week wait- Hopefully I will hear something soon.

andracill
03-11-2008, 11:24 PM
I'm 11 weeks into the 10-12 wait...if nothing else, at least I can SQ next week ;)

GrammarGoddess
04-03-2008, 12:41 AM
I snail mailed my query on 1/11 and today received a e-request for a partial from Kim. Trying not to be excited, because she is one of my "dream agents."

:)

Maui Author
04-03-2008, 01:03 AM
I queried Kim on Feb 5th and haven't heard anything. Should I assume it never went through and send again? Or should I e-mail her and ask?

thequotegal
04-03-2008, 01:31 AM
I've got a "no thanks" very quickly a few weeks ago from Jacky but she was so nice! She wrote me three more times for other reasons. Is this one of the agencies where you should only query one of them? I think it is because they are so small that if one says "no", then that's final?

Stacia Kane
04-03-2008, 01:37 AM
I've got a "no thanks" very quickly a few weeks ago from Jacky but she was so nice! She wrote me three more times for other reasons. Is this one of the agencies where you should only query one of them? I think it is because they are so small that if one says "no", then that's final?

I'm pretty sure they did a blog post in the last few weeks that said you should only query one of them, because they'll pass it on if they think another agent in the agency would be interested.

Parametric
04-03-2008, 02:34 AM
"There’s been a new and frustrating phenomenon lately, and that’s authors who are submitting the same work to all three BookEnds agents." (http://bookendslitagency.blogspot.com/2008/03/multiple-submissions-within-same-agency.html)

edit: And a better quote:

Okay, so you all know already not to send multiple submissions within the same agency, but what about submitting to Kim or Jacky once you’ve been rejected by me? Hopefully my example above already answered that for you. I would recommend against it; as far as BookEnds is concerned, it’s probably a waste of your time. If I thought it was better for Jacky or Kim, and still intriguing, I would have sent it to them. However, that being said, if you are sending queries we probably wouldn’t know that you’d sent to the other two, so if you are really, really determined to be represented by BookEnds and you don’t care who the agent is, go ahead. Once you’ve been rejected by one, feel free to submit to the others, one by one, until you’ve exhausted all of us.

GrammarGoddess
04-03-2008, 06:59 AM
Maui Author, did you e-query or snail mail?

Maui Author
04-03-2008, 07:13 AM
Maui Author, did you e-query or snail mail?
I e-queried. My printer has been acting up so I've only been doing e-queries recently.

GrammarGoddess
04-04-2008, 12:53 AM
You know, I would send another one by snail mail. BookEnds' submission guidelines mentioned things about it not being unusual for emails to fall into the spam filter, and to send by snail mail if you suspect this has happened.

Maui Author
04-04-2008, 06:14 AM
You know, I would send another one by snail mail. BookEnds' submission guidelines mentioned things about it not being unusual for emails to fall into the spam filter, and to send by snail mail if you suspect this has happened.

Good call. I'll mail a hard copy tomorrow.

Thanks!

Garmani
06-13-2008, 05:13 PM
Hello all,

I'm a newbie here, and don't mean to do more of the "same old, same old." However, I'm relying on all of your combined experience to guide me, since I'm not as wise to the ways of the agent world as you all are.

I got a request for a partial (50 pages, bio, and full synopsis) from Jacky a few days ago. Needless to say, I was very excited and sent the materials ASAP. (All via email attachment, as per her instructions.) All the research I've done on Jacky and on BookEnds has resulted in very positive reviews.

My big question is how long should I wait before inquiring as to the status of my submission? I know full mss readings can take a long time, but I don't know the protocol for shorter submissions. I don't want to offend, but don't want to seem uninterested either.

Would a follow-up be appropriate, or would three or four days after submission be too soon?

Sorry for the newbie question. I'm angst-ridden. Sigh.

waylander
06-13-2008, 05:19 PM
Leave it alone for at least 60 days.
Send out some more queries.

RoccoMom
06-13-2008, 06:37 PM

I second that.

Garmani
06-13-2008, 08:56 PM

Thanks, guys. I'm just thrilled to have gotten the response from an agency that's so highly thought of. She responded very quickly to the initial query.

They seem out of the ordinary in comparison to a lot of the other sites. I've been impressed.

andracill
06-14-2008, 05:24 AM
She responded very quickly to my query, as well. Then it took about four-five months to hear back on the partial and synopsis. (Closer to the five month, actually) -- so do query others! :)

Lccorp2
06-14-2008, 10:10 AM
According to the website, Jessica Faust is an expert at SF/F, but the agency says they don't represent SF/F--has anyone queried them lately with SF/F titles?

JenWriter
06-14-2008, 06:20 PM
I have to Jessica Faust. Form rejection.

ink wench
06-15-2008, 01:44 AM
Jessica requested a partial of my fantasy/mystery hybrid but rejected it. She was very fast and very polite, though. Definitely give her a try.

FionnJameson
07-23-2008, 05:38 AM
Sent in an e-query for my UF 7 days ago and got an email from J. Faust asking for my full.

Okay...time for some last-minute edits!

FionnJameson
07-23-2008, 07:41 AM
Crap. One more thing. Does anyone know what format Jessica Faust prefers when she asks for fulls?

cate townsend
07-23-2008, 08:33 PM
Crap. One more thing. Does anyone know what format Jessica Faust prefers when she asks for fulls?

Look on their website. Are you talking about whether to mail or email? If you're talking about doc formatting, go with the usual 1" margins all around, header with your name and title of book on each page, double spaced, and 12 point font (times, courier, or something similar).

Good luck with the request!

FionnJameson
07-24-2008, 04:13 AM
No, no, I was referring to whether she likes RTF or Doc. The formatting I know, it's just the actual file type that's got me confused.

:) Thanks Cate.

jenniiyq2
08-04-2008, 10:54 AM
I sent an equery out to Jacky Sach Sat, July 26th and received an email asking for the first 50 pages on Tuesday. (Three days later)

cate townsend
08-04-2008, 08:55 PM
Hi Fionn - sorry I missed your response. I'd email her if you're not sure what she prefers (.doc or .rtf). She's most likely back now from the RWA conference. Can't go wrong with .rtf, but Word is so prevalent, you'd probably be okay with that as well. Don't sweat it!

clara bow
08-05-2008, 01:20 AM
According to the website, Jessica Faust is an expert at SF/F, but the agency says they don't represent SF/F--has anyone queried them lately with SF/F titles?

I got a big fat form rejection on my science fiction romance. Honestly, I'd exhaust other agents first. Whenever the agents there blog about what they're looking for, SF/F is almost never on the list. Last year Jessica blogged about being in the mood for fantasy romance. She rejected mine after requesting a partial, but I'll admit it probably was more fantasy than romance at the time (I since revised it for other reasons).

Karen Duvall
08-05-2008, 01:27 AM

I'd pitched to Jessica at a conference last year and she requested 50 pages, which I sent when I got home. My manuscript was urban fantasy and she does indeed represent it, however I don't think she likes dark and unusual. Her rejection letter pointed out that my heroine was "odd." Which I agree, she is, and that's why I love her so much. Different strokes for different folks. It sure wouldn't hurt to give her a try. She's knowledgeable and efficient.

ChaosTitan
08-06-2008, 07:12 AM
I queried Jessica twice, both times with Urban Fantasy novels. Both times she asked for partials. I knew she was looking for UF at those times, because I read her blog. Nothing beats doing your homework. :)

FionnJameson
08-31-2008, 11:06 PM
Just wondering: How long does it take Jessica F. to get back to full requests? I've heard that she reads reaaallllyyy slow, but this is from people who've gotten queries rejected, not from full rejections/acceptations (is that even a word?!).

JFTR, I sent in my full on the 26th of last month...so I'm not expecting a reply until at least November or so, but I'd still like to hear others' experiences on this.

ChaosTitan
09-24-2008, 07:00 PM
Jessica Faust's latest blog post gives some insight on what she's currently looking for:

http://bookendslitagency.blogspot.com/2008/09/what-im-looking-for.html

Lainey Bancroft
09-25-2008, 04:29 AM
Gah! This is one of those posts where I wish I had a 'cute' name (that wasn't really mine) but...here goes.

I think many writers are sucked into the vortex of 'agent blogs, must be connected'. Book Ends took FOREVER to respond to a query (snail, a while back) when I sent an email follow up, they didn't bother to answer the email, but the snail rejection, (form, DEAR AUTHOR) came a bit following that.

I also know of a very promising author (romance RWA award winner etc. etc.) who signed with them and went nowhere!!

Do they have cool info on the blog? Absolutely! If they had all kinds of cool deals cookin', would they have time to blog 'what we're looking for'? Hmm

JanDarby
09-25-2008, 06:17 AM
FWIW, a few months back, I won a critique from the agency, through the blog, and was amazed by the quick response. It wasn't a dashed-off response, either, but contained insightful comments from two of the agents there.

Running a blog is time-consuming, but when it's done well, it can also be a good business tool for finding new clients and marketing existing clients (who do guest appearances at the blog from time totime).

JD

DeadlyAccurate
09-25-2008, 06:55 AM
I started reading a book today from one of Bookends' clients, and I heard about it through their blog.

IceCreamEmpress
09-25-2008, 08:03 AM
Do they have cool info on the blog? Absolutely! If they had all kinds of cool deals cookin', would they have time to blog 'what we're looking for'?

Actually, yes. You can find their deals in Publishers Marketplace, and they're selling books.

Many of the biggest agencies do "What We're Looking For" posts--the Donald Maas Agency does a monthly update on it.

Stacia Kane
09-25-2008, 10:31 AM
Gah! This is one of those posts where I wish I had a 'cute' name (that wasn't really mine) but...here goes.

I think many writers are sucked into the vortex of 'agent blogs, must be connected'. Book Ends took FOREVER to respond to a query (snail, a while back) when I sent an email follow up, they didn't bother to answer the email, but the snail rejection, (form, DEAR AUTHOR) came a bit following that.

I also know of a very promising author (romance RWA award winner etc. etc.) who signed with them and went nowhere!!

Do they have cool info on the blog? Absolutely! If they had all kinds of cool deals cookin', would they have time to blog 'what we're looking for'? Hmm

Which award is a "Romance RWA award"? How long ago did the writer sign with them?

Sad to say, but not all agented writers get deal their first time out. That's just the way it goes.

My blog takes me half an hour a day tops. I really can't imagine the Bookends ladies spend hours and hours on theirs.

And as ICE has already pointed out, they definitely do have "all kinds of cool deals cookin'."

caromora
09-25-2008, 10:53 AM

Whenever authors make remarks like these, I never understand where they're coming from. Would it make sense to say, "If that agent had all kinds of cool deals cookin', would she have time to go to a movie?" or "if that agent had all kinds of cool deals cookin', would she have time to take her cat to the vet"?

It's just not logical. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that agents have time do things like go out to lunch, take bathroom breaks, eat meals, go out on dates, watch tv, surf the internet, etc. They're humans, not automatons who do nothing but "agent" 24/7. How does fifteen or so minutes writing a blog detract from an agent's ability to make sales?

The hard truth is that not every book sells, and it's not a reflection on the agent. Now, if they've never sold anything, or if they've bungled up the sale in some way, that would reflect on the agent. Otherwise it just sounds bitter.

Anyway, I got a quick R from Jessica F. back when I was actively querying. It was about three or four days, I think.

Lainey Bancroft
09-25-2008, 03:51 PM
Congrats on the critique win, Jan. I know aother winner who was also very pleased with the feedback.

December, the author I referred to had Golden Heart x 2 + numerous 1st place RWA chapter contest wins. She has since parted ways with the agency. *shrug* not the right fit.

I didn't mean to question their success. I know they have many satisfied authors. I guess what I failed to express clearly is the fact that the almost cult-like belief among many authors that 'he/she who has the most blog followers must be the best' confuses me.

Stacia Kane
09-25-2008, 04:48 PM
Congrats on the critique win, Jan. I know aother winner who was also very pleased with the feedback.

December, the author I referred to had Golden Heart x 2 + numerous 1st place RWA chapter contest wins. She has since parted ways with the agency. *shrug* not the right fit.

And I'm sure she's talented, but again, Golden Heart/chapter contest wins do not automatically equal publishable, as many agents have said in the past. I certainly hope her new agent is better able to help her, but one unpublished client doesn't mean BookEnds isn't a good agency.

I didn't mean to question their success. I know they have many satisfied authors. I guess what I failed to express clearly is the fact that the almost cult-like belief among many authors that 'he/she who has the most blog followers must be the best' confuses me.

And I definitely agree with you there. Just because an agent has a lot of blog readers doesn't make them a great agent, any more than keeping a blog means they're neglecting their work.

But keep in mind, for a lot of writers, an agent who blogs is automatically higher on the query list simply because they feel they know that agent a little better; they feel that agent is more accessible, or if the agent remembers their name from their comments they might get a personal comment or two.

If you're querying, who would you query first? The agent who is a friend of a friend and whom you've met socially, or the one you've never met? It doesn't make the first agent better, it just means you're a little more comfortable with them, and for a lot of writers that's important.

But I absolutely concur that just because an agent blogs, doesn't mean they're a great agent or the agent for you. I can think offhand of at least three agents/agencies who blog that I wouldn't really recommend, for one reason or another.

IceCreamEmpress
09-26-2008, 02:15 AM
I guess what I failed to express clearly is the fact that the almost cult-like belief among many authors that 'he/she who has the most blog followers must be the best' confuses me.

I agree with this. Absolutely. And I think what December/Stacia said is right on target--people feel like they "know" the agents who blog, so they go for them.

But reading an agent's blog should be just part of the research: looking at their sales and their clients is more important.

hootie
09-26-2008, 04:20 AM
And I'm sure she's talented, but again, Golden Heart/chapter contest wins do not automatically equal publishable, as many agents have said in the past. I certainly hope her new agent is better able to help her, but one unpublished client doesn't mean BookEnds isn't a good agency.

And I definitely agree with you there. Just because an agent has a lot of blog readers doesn't make them a great agent, any more than keeping a blog means they're neglecting their work.

But keep in mind, for a lot of writers, an agent who blogs is automatically higher on the query list simply because they feel they know that agent a little better; they feel that agent is more accessible, or if the agent remembers their name from their comments they might get a personal comment or two.

If you're querying, who would you query first? The agent who is a friend of a friend and whom you've met socially, or the one you've never met? It doesn't make the first agent better, it just means you're a little more comfortable with them, and for a lot of writers that's important.

But I absolutely concur that just because an agent blogs, doesn't mean they're a great agent or the agent for you. I can think offhand of at least three agents/agencies who blog that I wouldn't really recommend, for one reason or another.

can you elaborate on those blogging agents you would not reccomend? i recently had partials requested by two agents whose blogs i read, and the thought has crossed my mind that they may not have much time for clients if they spend so much time blogging!

Stacia Kane
09-26-2008, 12:39 PM
can you elaborate on those blogging agents you would not reccomend? i recently had partials requested by two agents whose blogs i read, and the thought has crossed my mind that they may not have much time for clients if they spend so much time blogging!

Hootie, if you want to PM me with the names of those agents I'd be happy to tell you whether or not they're on my "list". :)

But really, a blog does NOT take a lot of time. Most agents seem to do one of two things: either short posts throughout the day (like Janet Reid or Jonathan Lyons) which can't possibly take longer than five minutes or so, certainly no longer than a bathroom break or a smoke break or a snack break (Ms. Reid's posts are sometimes longer, but Ms. Reid is also somewhat famously a workaholic); or longer posts at a certain time of day. For example BookEnds usually post a new post around 8 am ET every day, which implies they write it at the end of the day after they've closed up shop or do it first thing before they officially "open". Same with Kristin Nelson (end of the day). Nathan Bransford, if I'm correct in subtracting Pacific Time from GMT, posts his around lunchtime. Very few blogging agents--in fact, none that I can think of--seem to devote hours of their time to it, and none devote time to the extent that I would think "When do they get actual work done?"

As ICE said, the real proof is in the sales. If the agent has good sales listed on their site, sales to major houses which you can confirm, they're obviously doing just fine.

Stlight
10-07-2008, 09:56 AM
In case you're interested email sent in and rejection turn around 3 weeks.

S

Baboy
12-09-2008, 08:30 PM
I sent an email submission almost three weeks ago and have just received a rejection. The rejection was polite and encouraging, so I have no complaints.

yeswecan
12-24-2008, 12:22 AM
From her blog, Jessica Faust seems very nice and helpful but I was very disappointed with her responses. She asked for a partial the same day (form request) as I sent an e-query, and offered to answer any questions, then never replied to my question. So I followed her instructions to snail-mail my partial with a synopsis (both very short), then she sat on it for a few months before sending a form rejection. But she takes the time to critique random "one-paragraph pitches" on her blog? Her forte seems to be romance, so the rest of us are out of luck. I'm sure she's very kind & professional, but her time-management skills are sorely lacking.

In just over two months (around the same period), I e'd a top NYC agent, got an immediate request for a partial, then a full ms. request two weeks later. I even had time to revise my ms.--still under consideration (e'd 6 weeks ago). Wish me luck!

Kasey Mackenzie
12-24-2008, 01:15 AM
But she takes the time to critique random "one-paragraph pitches" on her blog?

I'm just addressing this specific point. As I've said before, and will say again, agents are just as entitled to take some personal time for posting on blogs like any other person in the world. Because, you know, they ARE people just like you and me. =) And I don't know about you, but I know _I_ don't work 24/7. In fact, I'm pretty sure that agents and editors actually work a heck of a lot more hours than I do because they often read queries, partials, and fulls on their personal time rather than during the day because their days are usually taken up with dealing with the ins and outs of the business for their existing clients.

Not to say that I don't feel your pain, because I do. It's a slow, long, frustrating business! I just see people make this particular complaint way too much. Agents and editors are entitled to personal time for posting blog posts just like anyone else in the world.

That said, I DO wish you the best of luck!

yeswecan
12-24-2008, 07:22 AM
Re: "As I've said before, and will say again, agents are just as entitled to take some personal time for posting on blogs like any other person in the world."

I have no problem w/ her blog--in fact, I'm a big fan. It's just why invite more work for yourself when you're too busy to read the mss. you already requested? Don't we deserve as much serious consideration as the bloggers? I enjoy agent blogs as well but I thought clients and potential clients came first? Just making an observation--no need to defend her as this is not an attack, but my personal experience. Isn't that why we're all here--to share info?

Stacia Kane
12-24-2008, 03:08 PM
Re: "As I've said before, and will say again, agents are just as entitled to take some personal time for posting on blogs like any other person in the world."

I have no problem w/ her blog--in fact, I'm a big fan. It's just why invite more work for yourself when you're too busy to read the mss. you already requested? Don't we deserve as much serious consideration as the bloggers? I enjoy agent blogs as well but I thought clients and potential clients came first? Just making an observation--no need to defend her as this is not an attack, but my personal experience. Isn't that why we're all here--to share info?

Um, because the agency is closed until after the new year, and so she's technically on vacation and can do whatever she likes with what is now her free time?

I spent my summer writing a series of blog posts on how to write sex scenes, because I felt the need to take a little time off from writing to recharge my batteries a bit. I suppose my agent could have gotten pissed off--why was I working on that, instead of more books for him to sell?--but he didn't, because we all need some downtime once in a while, and we all have different things that relax us/that we enjoy.

Perhaps she knows she won't be able to give those who've requested material "serious consideration" over the holidays, with houseguests and errands and whatever, but figures a series of one-minute blurb critiques is just about the level of work she can take right now. Wouldn't you rather have her soothe her frazzled brain on those, than sit down with your ms, get constantly interrupted, and end up rejecting becuase her head wasn't in the right place?

yeswecan
12-30-2008, 11:30 AM
Um, it's called taking care of business, setting priorities, playing catch up...Seems potential clients should be given equal time to bloggers. Not fair to make writers wait so long for a response when a quick read only takes a few minutes of an agents' time. Give us a yes or no answer so we can move on.

caromora
12-30-2008, 02:51 PM
Those blog posts probably take ten minutes of her time, tops. And it seems (at least to me) that critiquing something publicly where a greater number of people can benefit from it is making better use of time than sending a critique to one person. Besides, how do you know how else she's spending her vacation? What makes you think she isn't "playing catch up"?

The only people agents owe anything to are their current clients. You said yourself that she sent you a rejection; it isn't like she left you hanging with no response at all. What else is she required to do?

It's one thing to say that an agent took a long time to respond. It's something else altogether to imply an agent is being unprofessional. The former is informative. The latter just seems like sour grapes.

CurranCR
12-30-2008, 05:25 PM
I agree with other posters that updating a blog can be a useful change of pace for an agent and doesn't necessarily affect query response time. I'm happy these agent blogs exist because, as a newbie, I've learned a lot about the query process from them.

That being said, any agent that takes forever to respond to a query would go a bit down on my list. I sent out a first batch of 10 queries in early December and got six responses within two weeks. I'd be more likely to go with a quick responding agent than one who responds to a query three or four months later.

Caroline

Kasey Mackenzie
12-30-2008, 05:58 PM
You know what...the day someone works 24/7 and doesn't do anything that is not work-related on their time off is the day I will listen to them make such a petty complaint. I know that personally, I had a crapload of work I could have done on my time off over the holidays, but I chose to focus on my family and home. And guess what. There's nothing wrong with that. At all.

At any rate, I've already made my opinion on this particular topic clear, so I'll shut up now.

yeswecan
12-31-2008, 12:36 AM
Good for you! I think agent blogs are great and I've also learned a lot.

My point is, agents are auditioning for our work just as we are auditioning for them. If they can't be bothered to reply within a fair amount of time to REQUESTED mss. (I don't mean over the holidays, people!), then I see red flags and write them off as too busy or too disorganized or just not interested. After all, that's a good indication of how they'll be as an agent later on...

A writer's time is just as valuable as an agent's time and we should be treated with the same respect and courtesy as we give them.
That's all, folks... Happy New Year!

M.R.J. Le Blanc
12-31-2008, 12:42 AM
My point is, agents are auditioning for our work just as we are auditioning for them. If they can't be bothered to reply within a fair amount of time to REQUESTED mss. (I don't mean over the holidays, people!), then I see red flags and write them off as too busy or too disorganized or just not interested. After all, that's a good indication of how they'll be as an agent later on...

The question then becomes what is considered a fair amount of time. And from what I've been reading on the boards, that differs from agent to agent. Just because they may take a few weeks or a couple of months doesn't necessarily mean they're disorganized or unprofessional. Some may be busier than others. It's a reality we all have to accept, and ask around as to what the usual turnaround time is for a specific agent. Only then can you determine what's a fair amount of time.

waylander
12-31-2008, 02:19 AM
Some agents have interns to read slush for them, some read all the queries that come in. That makes a big difference. I think you are being premature in dismissing agents who don't reply promptly

J. M. Hunter
08-14-2009, 11:54 PM
I got the following message from Kim Lionetti at Bookends. It seems she is not accepting queries right now (take note of the last sentence):

I will not be accepting queries from August 1st to September 30th [2009] in an effort to catch up on submissions already received and to improve my response time.

If you'd like, you may query me after October 1st.

I apologize for the inconvenience and wish you all the best.

Best,
Kim Lionetti

Your e-mail has been automatically deleted.

M.R.J. Le Blanc
08-15-2009, 03:04 AM
That seems a little...odd, to put in an autoresponse. I mean, I can understand deleting queries since she's not going to consider them but I don't see why she'd have to actually tell the person it was deleted.

jennibly
08-15-2009, 05:53 AM
Yeah, that does sound a little harsh but I'm sure the intention is just to emphasize that you must re-send your query after 10/1. Otherwise people might assume that she was keeping them on hold until then.

EgyptianGoddess
08-15-2009, 06:43 AM
That seems a little...odd, to put in an autoresponse. I mean, I can understand deleting queries since she's not going to consider them but I don't see why she'd have to actually tell the person it was deleted.

To make sure you know to resubmit, it's not sitting in a holding file or anything. They aren't gonna read it. I didn't see it as harsh, I saw it as informative.

M.R.J. Le Blanc
08-15-2009, 07:56 AM
To make sure you know to resubmit, it's not sitting in a holding file or anything. They aren't gonna read it. I didn't see it as harsh, I saw it as informative.

Yeah, but do they really need to tell you that your query was deleted? Isn't saying 'feel free to resubmit after such-and-such a date' enough? That last line just seems like unnecessary info.

EgyptianGoddess
08-15-2009, 06:12 PM
Yeah, but do they really need to tell you that your query was deleted? Isn't saying 'feel free to resubmit after such-and-such a date' enough? That last line just seems like unnecessary info.

It's subjective in how anyone reads that. For me, personally, it would remove any and all doubt that it might be sitting there to be read. It didn't seem mean or anything to me.....sometimes us writers hold onto "hope" or read more into things than are there. I would rather just be told it was deleted unread and to resubmit, and when. Then there is no "wondering" and conjecture about "did mine make it before the cutoff", etc. But that's just me:D

CaoPaux
08-15-2009, 06:56 PM
Yep. If she didn't include that, folks'd be posting to ask whether they need to requery.... There's just no pleasing everyone. :hat:

bocabum
08-15-2009, 09:55 PM
Does anyone have any idea how long Kim is quoting for a response to partials?

M.R.J. Le Blanc
08-15-2009, 09:57 PM
Perhaps. But if I got an email from an agent saying 'I'm currently not accepting queries. Please requery after October 1st' I'm not going to sit there thinking the query is still sitting there or going to be read :) At the very least, adding 'your query was deleted' just strikes me as TMI :Shrug:

EgyptianGoddess
08-15-2009, 11:18 PM
Perhaps. But if I got an email from an agent saying 'I'm currently not accepting queries. Please requery after October 1st' I'm not going to sit there thinking the query is still sitting there or going to be read :) At the very least, adding 'your query was deleted' just strikes me as TMI :Shrug:

Ok, you win:D

ChrryBlssmGrrl
08-18-2009, 09:15 PM
Just to share my experience, I queried Jessica on March 30th. I received a rejection on April 12th, so just less than a 2 week turn around. The response was pretty much a form rejection but it was quite kind:

Thank you so much for giving BookEnds a chance to consider your work. While I found your query intriguing Iím afraid I wasnít sufficiently enthusiastic to ask for more at this time.

As Iím sure you know, publishing is a subjective business and Iím sure thereís another agent out there better suited to your work.

I wish you the best of luck and the greatest success.

As with all rejections it would have been nice to know what was 'intriguing' about my query (which was just that, btw - a query letter which included a brief synopsis) but what ultimately led to a rejection without even seeing a couple of sample chapters.

But the speed of her reply was very professional, her tone was (in my opinion) very courteous and at least it was pretty encouraging.

EgyptianGoddess
08-18-2009, 09:19 PM
Thank you so much for giving BookEnds a chance to consider your work. While I found your query intriguing Iím afraid I wasnít sufficiently enthusiastic to ask for more at this time.

As Iím sure you know, publishing is a subjective business and Iím sure thereís another agent out there better suited to your work.

I absolutely mean you no disrespect, but this is their standard rejection letter that everyone gets. There are several agencies who use the same, or similar, wording. It seems that some agents at least try to sweeten the rejection a bit.:Shrug:

ChrryBlssmGrrl
08-19-2009, 03:41 PM
no, I totally agree with you - I've had a couple of these myself :Shrug:

I just wanted to flag this standardised rejection letter up as being my experience with BookEnds. It could be that other writers got feedback from them - which is always a nice bonus.

Sending out standard, fairly impersonal rejections doesn't necessarily reflect poorly on BookEnds as an agency but (I think) it's good to share the details submission experiences, both positive and negative, especially for the benefit of any writers out there who are just about to take the plunge with their first first-time submissions so they know what they can expect!! (Good luck!!)

Anyway, all in all, I think their rejection was quite kind and it was quick as well, which does reflect well on BookEnds professionalism and organisational skills.

SJWangsness
08-27-2009, 07:37 PM
I received the same form rejection this a.m., 5 days after e-query. Shouldn't try to divine any meaning from a rejection unless it's so obviously personalized -- "Your character Gleeynia really intrigued me but I just didn't buy that she was both a demon and an WNBA superstar" -- that you'll know it.

At least now i can stop reading Jessica's blog!

bocabum
09-03-2009, 09:04 PM
Does anyone have any idea how long Kim is quoting for a response to partials?

Anyone know the answer to this? Someone? Anyone? Pretty Please!!! I emailed my partial to Kim in April, and still haven't heard boo, so either it got sucked into her spam filter, or she hasn't gotten to it yet...

...wish someone could shed some light on this for me!

alias octavia
09-04-2009, 12:55 AM
Anyone know the answer to this? Someone? Anyone? Pretty Please!!! I emailed my partial to Kim in April, and still haven't heard boo, so either it got sucked into her spam filter, or she hasn't gotten to it yet...

...wish someone could shed some light on this for me!

If I had a partial out since April I would send a polite follow-up to make sure they received the manuscript and check on the status. In fact, I would not have waited this long. I usually give it 2-3 months for a partial, obviously longer for a full, but it is in your interest to follow-up. It may have gotten lost. Best of luck to you.

bocabum
09-04-2009, 01:29 AM
Thanks Alias! :)

I had thought about checking in, but figured since Ms. Lionetti was behind on queries and submission, I'd wait, but now, maybe, I think I might send a quick email to her, inquiring if she even received my partial.

So Alias, if it were you--and considering that she's closed her email to query submissions--what would you put in the subject line, so that you don't get an automatic reply, or lost in her spam filter?

alias octavia
09-04-2009, 04:38 AM
Thanks Alias! :)

I had thought about checking in, but figured since Ms. Lionetti was behind on queries and submission, I'd wait, but now, maybe, I think I might send a quick email to her, inquiring if she even received my partial.

So Alias, if it were you--and considering that she's closed her email to query submissions--what would you put in the subject line, so that you don't get an automatic reply, or lost in her spam filter?

I would put:

Follow-up Requested Material: TITLE OF NOVEL

It is long, but it gets the point across right up front and should get past the spam filter. I hope you get a good response soon :)

bocabum
09-04-2009, 06:50 PM
Thanks again, Alias! I'm going to do that now!! Wish me luck! :)

Scribe66
09-04-2009, 11:18 PM
Queried Ms. Lionetti five months ago, received form R only yesterday. I'd pretty much written her off in any case, but at least I know for sure now--and having other fulls and partials out also blunts the sting.

lenore_x
09-20-2009, 08:52 PM
Stupid question alert. :P Does anyone know if Jessica reps all fantasy, or just romantic fantasy? I swear I find a different answer every time I try and find out!

Erin
09-20-2009, 09:16 PM
Queried Ms. Lionetti five months ago, received form R only yesterday. I'd pretty much written her off in any case, but at least I know for sure now--and having other fulls and partials out also blunts the sting.

I just got an R from my May query to her, too.

Erin
09-20-2009, 09:19 PM
Stupid question alert. :P Does anyone know if Jessica reps all fantasy, or just romantic fantasy? I swear I find a different answer every time I try and find out!

As far as I know, she does NOT rep straight fantasy. However, I read on her blog that she's open to paranormal romance that crosses into urban fantasy.

Cyia
09-23-2009, 07:43 AM
I sent a query back in March as well and just got a request for a partial tonight. (Though the book's been rewritten...)

Cyia
09-23-2009, 11:40 PM
Okay.... so....

I sent Ms. Lionetti the partial she requested, and got the "Your email has been automatically deleted" message, too. I'm not sure she thought that one through. :(

52greg
09-29-2009, 09:53 PM
I e-queried Kim Lionetti at Bookends six months ago. Yesterday, I got a rejection. Kim was apologetic about the delay, however.

Elaine Margarett
09-29-2009, 10:10 PM
Sorry about the 'R,' but thanks for the info~

Keep trying!

EM

katpaws
09-30-2009, 09:59 PM
I believe Kim is working very hard to catch up on all her queries from earlier in the year.
I queried her in June and just received a request for a partial today. Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back!

MichaelP
10-07-2009, 04:40 AM
Does anyone know if Bookends is a "no" from one = no from everyone agency?

Moost
10-07-2009, 05:32 AM

I think Jessica has a blog post about how after she rejects a query she'd rather the author not query the other BookEnds agents. I can't seem to find it now but I would poke around on her blog if I were you.

Erin
10-07-2009, 06:09 AM

Yes, Jessica indicates on her blog or web somewhere not to query another agent if one rejects.

MichaelP
10-08-2009, 05:31 AM
Thanks Erin and Moost.

bocabum
10-12-2009, 12:26 AM
I sent Kim Lionetti a partial in April and still haven't heard back. I recently sent a status email, but still haven't heard anything. When is she back open to queries? Perhaps my status email was deleted by a filter b/c she's still closed off to new submissions??

Hopefully :)

Phantom Writer
10-12-2009, 12:54 AM
Boca I think Kim actually reopened on 9/30. I heard back from her on 10/2 on my query. Did you send to the general email or her personal one?

bocabum
10-13-2009, 08:17 PM
I sent the email to her kimlionetti@bookends-inc.com address. I didn't receive an email back saying that it would be automatically deleted. (I sent the email on Sept. 4th, btw)

So now I don't know what to do? Re-send the status email? (Although I hate the thoughts of bugging Kim, since she's playing catch up, as it is) My partial must have gotten lost...it's been out since April!

So confused/scared/nervous! I want to re-send, now that's back open to subs, but like I've said, I don't want to hound her, either.

:(

katpaws
10-14-2009, 05:53 AM
Hey bocabum,

I get the feeling that while Kim is all caught up on queries, she isn't quite all caught up on partials, but I'd imagine she has a lot more time to focus on them now that her deluge of queries is out of the way. Try not to worry! :) If you still haven't heard after another month or so, maybe send another polite nudge.

Phantom Writer
10-14-2009, 05:57 AM
Boca, I'd agree with Kat on this one too.

katpaws
11-09-2009, 10:00 PM
Has anybody heard back about partials?

ChaosTitan
11-09-2009, 10:10 PM
I haven't seen this posted on their website yet, but Kim Lionetti just Tweeted it today:

I'll be closing submissions from 11/15 to 1/18. So BookEnds will not be accepting queries during that time as Jessica is on maternity leave.

Dawnny Baby
11-10-2009, 12:30 AM
Yeah, AgentQuery.com lists Jessica Faust as accepting queries, so I queried her yesterday and got 2 replies: one that she was on maternity leave until Jan. 4, and the other said that she was on leave until Jan. 18. (Maybe she's coming back the 4th but doesn't want to deal with new queries until the end of the month?) The second e-mail said that queries should be re-sent at the end of January. (At which point she'll be overwhelmed with new queries!) ;)

katpaws
11-10-2009, 06:12 PM
So, I suppose with Kim closing to submissions as well, we'll start to see some replies to partials/fulls? :)

KatieR
11-10-2009, 07:49 PM
It took six months for Kim to reply to me (r) - I think she was wiping out her in-box. I guess they must get thousands of submissions and I wonder how many staff the agency has?

bclement412
11-29-2009, 07:18 AM
Has anyone had any contact/experience with Katelynn Lacopo?

Fmate66
11-30-2009, 05:08 AM
I have just started submitting to agents (scary!) and Kim was one of the ones I chose along with Jessica Faust. I got the out of office message from Jessica instantly and then a 'closed to submissions until Jan 18th' message from Kim 24 hours later.

Is this positive or does it mean nothing? Has she scanned my query and wants me to resubmit or would she just be saying this to everyone who queries at the moment?

I suspect its the latter but I just wanted some confirmation.

Just wanted to say I have been lurking and reading for ages and I am so grateful you guys are here. To be able to come and find threads about specific people I am thinking of dealing with is invaluable.

honeysock
11-30-2009, 07:21 AM
I have just started submitting to agents (scary!) and Kim was one of the ones I chose along with Jessica Faust. I got the out of office message from Jessica instantly and then a 'closed to submissions until Jan 18th' message from Kim 24 hours later.

Is this positive or does it mean nothing? Has she scanned my query and wants me to resubmit or would she just be saying this to everyone who queries at the moment?

I suspect its the latter but I just wanted some confirmation.

Their website says:

Jessica Faust (JFaust@bookends-inc.com) is on leave until January 18 and will not be accepting queries until that time.
Kim Lionetti (klionetti@bookends-inc.com) is also closed to submissions until January 18.
Jacky Sach is closed to submissions at this time

Essentially, you're wasting your time querying them right now. You will need to re-query after January 18.

I've learned my lesson the hard way: research will save you time, money, and frustration (not much, but a little).

Fmate66
11-30-2009, 09:53 AM
Ah ok. Thanks. I used that AgentQuery website but I guess I should have checked their specific website/s first. AQ had their status as accepting queries.

Lesson learned! Thanks for the reply :)

katpaws
12-08-2009, 07:36 PM
Had anybody heard back from Kim on a partial submitted after her big inbox cleaning in September?

ChristineR
02-24-2010, 02:14 AM
Just got an auto-reply from Jessica Faust--out of office until the 27th of February.

Not surprising as on Agent Query it says she's on maternity leave until January 18th.

Chumplet
08-02-2010, 11:11 PM
Kim is briefly open for queries, but only for YA, Romance and Women's Fiction. Please put the genre in your subject line.

Erin
08-03-2010, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the tip, Chumplet. I've been waiting for her to open up again!

HistorySleuth
09-25-2010, 09:15 AM
Jessica posted this on twitter yesterday:

"querybox update: opened to queries 9/7, caught up on queries thru 9/11, caught up on proposals through July. 200 left to go."

MadDabbler
10-18-2010, 05:15 AM
Local worried newbie again: here's how it has gone.

1. Sent in e-query on 97k word UF. Bit nails.
2. Nails bled, received request for proposal quickly. Did happy dance. Chewed nails to first knuckle.
3. Have begun to worry that BookEnds requests many proposal. Have chewed my way to second knuckle. Am having trouble typing. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/icons/icon11.gif
4. In the interest of preserving the rest of my fingers, am asking for feedback from anyone who might know how often proposals (partials) are requested.

Thank you for your interest in preserving my hands.

Nya RAyne
10-18-2010, 06:46 AM
Queried Jessica, we'll see how it goes.

Amy28
10-18-2010, 08:18 PM
I queried Jessica for nonfiction on 10/11 and got a request for the full proposal the following day, 10/12. On 10/14, she emailed me saying she couldn't stop reading it (!!!!!) and asking if I had a full manuscript (which I don't, just a proposal). I communicated that to her and she said she planned to get back to me soon.

Talk about being nervous... :)

MadDabbler
10-18-2010, 10:10 PM
Talk about being nervous... :)

Congrats Amy28! Wow, do I ever want to be you! I figure I'll fall over in a dead faint if she asks for the full. For a variety of reasons, she's my dream agent. I want her so very much.

I wish you the absolute best in getting representation. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif <-- This is my "green with envy" smile for you.

Amy28
10-20-2010, 05:32 AM
I got the phone call! Jessica has offered representation!!!! I talked with her for about 30 minutes later in the day and think we really click. I could not be more thrilled. Because I have the full proposal out with two other agencies, I have been in touch with them, but just so so so excited!

LLeopardGGecko
10-20-2010, 05:51 AM
Wow! Congrats!

That is so cool :hooray:

honeysock
10-20-2010, 06:30 AM
Amy, huge huge congrats!!!!! Here's to a quick sale! *lifts wine glass*

~~Sally

HistorySleuth
10-20-2010, 03:18 PM
Congratulations Amy!!!!!

MadDabbler
10-20-2010, 06:22 PM
I got the phone call! Jessica has offered representation!!!! I talked with her for about 30 minutes later in the day and think we really click. I could not be more thrilled. Because I have the full proposal out with two other agencies, I have been in touch with them, but just so so so excited!

That is AWESOME! Wow, wow, wow! I am so incredibly happy for you! :partyguy:

Keep us posted on how it goes.

MadDabbler
10-31-2010, 02:17 AM
Have a phone appointment with Jessica to talk to her about the potential for representation in 40 hours and 43 minutes. <gets on knees, clasps hands under chin> Please, please, please.

Corinne Duyvis
10-31-2010, 02:41 AM
That's awesome! She seems so great. Good luck! :)

C.T. Richmond
10-31-2010, 03:00 AM
Fingers crossed for you, Mad! :)

MadDabbler
10-31-2010, 03:37 AM
Thanks Corinne and C.T. She has been so nice in her e-mails. I hope she offers representation. Only 39 hours and 24 minutes until The Call! :hooray:

honeysock
10-31-2010, 07:03 AM
Much luck MadD!

MadDabbler
11-01-2010, 07:00 PM
She passed. <sighs, wipes tears, eats doughnut(s)> She just didn't connect with my MC. As always, she was very nice.

So I'm signing with the first agent. I'm really, really lucky we clicked so well.

Amy28
11-04-2010, 07:28 PM
Sorry to hear that, but I am sure it stings a little less knowing you have an agent in the end. :) Congrats on your offer!

shaunta
11-21-2010, 01:39 AM
I queried Jessica with a completed dystopian YA novel late last night (about midnight PST.) When I woke up this morning, maybe 8 hours later, I had an autoresponse saying it would take four weeks for a response, and then a second email that felt like a form letter to me asking for the first three chapters and synopsis. I emailed those, and several hours later I got an email from her that had no message.

Should I assume this is some kind of confirmation that my chapters were received, or email her back and let her know that the last email had no message?

Corinne Duyvis
11-21-2010, 02:00 AM
I'd e-mail her back. That seems really weird.

KelleyVitollo
11-21-2010, 05:29 AM
Anyone heard from Kim lately? Is she a no response is no?

Erin
11-21-2010, 09:28 AM

It took her 5 months to respond on my first query. I queried her on a 2nd book 9/1 and haven't yet received a response.

KelleyVitollo
11-21-2010, 10:19 AM
It took her 5 months to respond on my first query. I queried her on a 2nd book 9/1 and haven't yet received a response.

Okay. Thanks!

Preacher'sWife
11-21-2010, 05:13 PM
I queried Jessica with a completed dystopian YA novel late last night (about midnight PST.) When I woke up this morning, maybe 8 hours later, I had an autoresponse saying it would take four weeks for a response, and then a second email that felt like a form letter to me asking for the first three chapters and synopsis. I emailed those, and several hours later I got an email from her that had no message.

Should I assume this is some kind of confirmation that my chapters were received, or email her back and let her know that the last email had no message?

I'd definitely e-mail her back. Do it as a reply on that last empty e-mail so she has a trail to follow.

miamyselfandi
11-21-2010, 06:48 PM

Did you follow her directions NOT to have "query" or "submission" in the subject header? I didn't and my submission bounced back at me twice before I figured out my mistake. (I'm relaying this by memory. I think those are the two words to avoid.)

shaunta
11-21-2010, 06:54 PM
I don't see any directions not to put query or submission in the subject header. I let her know I got a blank email last night, and this morning had another blank email. Not sure what to do! Do you think she got my submission and these are just auto-responses? Not sure what to do! Maybe I'll send her another email, without query or submit in the subject header, and ask?

shaunta
11-21-2010, 07:30 PM
I sent her an email, not a response, with no query or submission in the header. She got back to me and said she received my package and that I should hear from her by the end of January.

miamyselfandi
11-21-2010, 07:32 PM
I don't see any directions not to put query or submission in the subject header. I let her know I got a blank email last night, and this morning had another blank email. Not sure what to do! Do you think she got my submission and these are just auto-responses? Not sure what to do! Maybe I'll send her another email, without query or submit in the subject header, and ask?

Now that I've reread the email, I see/recall that she said to use the directions on their website. I am not finding it right now but when I was submitting a few months ago, I found the information there not to include "query" or "submission" in the subject header...

Oh I just remembered why. This is when she was closed to queries and that would get an autoresponse saying so.

Okay, so never mind, that wouldn't apply any more. Sorry to add to the confusion.

amyashley
11-21-2010, 07:48 PM
I just wanted to post on this thread that my dealings with Ms. Faust have been extremely positive. She requested a partial within 3 weeks after receiving my query. I had made some changes to the partial due to feedback and e-mailed her with apologies. She was very courteous and encouraged me to simply send the new partial when it was ready. She requested a full within 2 weeks after I sent it. She e-mailed me less than 48 hours after I sent the full, with a very professional and helpful e-mail turning it down. She offered feedback and was very sorry to reject the project. I requested specific input and asked if she would be willing to take a look at it after revisions and she replied with that and said yes.

Not only was she prompt in all of her responses to e-mail, but she took time to be encouraging and helpful. I MUST POINT OUT, that I was polite and professional in my approach as well, and would not encourage anyone to pester an agent for feedback.

This agency is definitely one that people should put at the top of their list.

raven1
01-04-2011, 03:08 AM

I'm pretty sure she tries to respond to each one. It just takes a while because there are so many, plus she's a busy mommy, too. ;-) I think we sometimes forget that agents are like us and have families and a life outside of writing.

She had my equery for almost four months before she responded. She passed on that particular project but asked what else I was working on because she loved my voice, so I sent a historical paranormal romance her way. She signed me for that book.

Two years later and we've parted ways due to my fantasy leanings (I moved outside the borders of her genre preferences), but I have nothing but the utmost respect for her.

I recommend her to ANYONE who's writing within the genres she's looking for. Once she's in love with a project, she puts her heart and soul into it. She works hard for all of her clients, has excellent connections, and is a genuinely sweet person, to boot.

Just be patient with her. It sometimes takes her a little while, but she's so worth it!

Senora Verde
01-13-2011, 05:11 AM
FYI:
Queried Jessica Faust 1/5
Partial Request 1/6
Kind personalized rejection 1/12

KelleyVitollo
01-13-2011, 05:45 AM
I'm pretty sure she tries to respond to each one. It just takes a while because there are so many, plus she's a busy mommy, too. ;-) I think we sometimes forget that agents are like us and have families and a life outside of writing.

She had my equery for almost four months before she responded. She passed on that particular project but asked what else I was working on because she loved my voice, so I sent a historical paranormal romance her way. She signed me for that book.

Two years later and we've parted ways due to my fantasy leanings (I moved outside the borders of her genre preferences), but I have nothing but the utmost respect for her.

I recommend her to ANYONE who's writing within the genres she's looking for. Once she's in love with a project, she puts her heart and soul into it. She works hard for all of her clients, has excellent connections, and is a genuinely sweet person, to boot.

Just be patient with her. It sometimes takes her a little while, but she's so worth it!

Thank you for your reply. I understand they have lives outside of work though. I just didn't know if she was like a lot of the agents who only reply if they're interested :) I've since found representation so all is well though!

raven1
01-17-2011, 10:20 AM
Thank you for your reply. I understand they have lives outside of work though. I just didn't know if she was like a lot of the agents who only reply if they're interested :) I've since found representation so all is well though!

Congratulations on finding represetation! That ROX. I wish you tons of success! I'm still in the trenches, trying to find someone new. :)

Good luck, and let use know when you're pubbed so we can buy your books!

KelleyVitollo
01-17-2011, 08:02 PM
Congratulations on finding represetation! That ROX. I wish you tons of success! I'm still in the trenches, trying to find someone new. :)

Good luck, and let use know when you're pubbed so we can buy your books!

Thank you!!!

MysteryScribe
02-04-2011, 11:44 PM
Has anyone heard from Kim since she reopened to queries?

Erin
02-05-2011, 12:35 AM
Has anyone heard from Kim since she reopened to queries?

I got an R from her this week from a 9/1 query ;)

MysteryScribe
02-05-2011, 01:04 AM
I got an R from her this week from a 9/1 query ;)

Thanks for the timeline Erin and sorry about the R :(

Looks like I'll just need to put my 'patience' cap back on :)

sharla
02-10-2011, 01:22 AM
2/5 Queried Jessica (w/personal reference to conversation we had on Twitter on her #askagent session)
2/6 She asked for partial, I sent it.
2/8 She requested full, I sent it.

God, was that just yesterday? Really? Feels like I've been stalking my email for weeks...lol. The waiting game...

Kmarshall
02-10-2011, 01:27 AM
Congrats sharla! I just queried Jessica Faust today. Not sure if they accept fantasy. AAR says they do. Their website says NO SF, but nothing about fantasy. I took the chance, knowing the two are often connected.

Corinne Duyvis
02-10-2011, 02:05 AM
I'm pretty sure they do. Jessica Faust read my YA UF last month, and she reps Angie Fox, who wrote the Accidental Demon Slayer series.

Kmarshall
02-10-2011, 02:41 AM
Thanks Corinne. Mine's not YA, though, and that might make all the difference.

sharla
02-10-2011, 04:32 AM
Just saw Kim Lionetti's tweet saying:

"I have a lot of light, fun romance on my list. Love them but I'm in mood to balance them out w/ some dark tortured souls. (hint, hint)"

In case that fits anyone! :)

Corinne Duyvis
02-10-2011, 02:08 PM
Thanks Corinne. Mine's not YA, though, and that might make all the difference.

Neither is Angie Fox's series. ;)

Kmarshall
02-10-2011, 03:14 PM
A glimmer :) Thanks Corinne

sharla
02-10-2011, 11:00 PM
2/5 Queried Jessica (w/personal reference to conversation we had on Twitter on her #askagent session)
2/6 She asked for partial, I sent it.
2/8 She requested full, I sent it.

God, was that just yesterday? Really? Feels like I've been stalking my email for weeks...lol. The waiting game...

An update...

2/10 She called me.

:hooray::hooray::hooray::hooray:

Yep, now represented by her....and that's a surreal thing to say!

IHeartWriting
02-10-2011, 11:02 PM
Congrats! :partyguy:

regdog
02-10-2011, 11:06 PM
Congrats :)

amergina
02-10-2011, 11:13 PM
Wow! Congrats! *throws confetti*

Kmarshall
02-10-2011, 11:24 PM
Wow! That's awesome. Congratulations. BTW...Regdog, what's you're avatar? I love it.

elissamarie
02-11-2011, 01:42 AM
Congrats, Sharla! I've worked with Jessica and she's a really nice lady. Makes me rethink my refusal to join twitter ...

Doobie Cantrip
02-11-2011, 02:11 AM
Wow, congratulations Sharla!

Senora Verde
02-11-2011, 04:08 AM
Congrats Sharla! Enjoy this feeling!

write2live
02-14-2011, 09:19 PM
Congrats Sharla!! I would love, love, love to work with her . . . She has my partial right now. Needless to say; I'm hoping, praying, and crossing every body part that can be crossed ;o)

Good luck on this leg of your journey!!

**UPDATE**
Recieved the big "R" on my partial today. Oh, well. Best of luck to all of you with your queries/partials/fulls!

ErinKellison
02-15-2011, 07:37 AM
Congrats, Sharla! I'm repped by Jessica too, and she's fantastic.

sharla
02-18-2011, 11:35 PM
Thanks everybody!!! Well, it's only been 8 days since The Day Of Awesomeness, and already I know that working with Jessica is a dream come true. We've gone back and forth with titles, I sent revisions yesterday, and she's preparing to send it out on submission, so I couldn't possibly be happier.

What makes it so cool, is the connection. She believes so heartily in my book and loves it so much...it feels like teamwork. She's amazing.

sharla
02-18-2011, 11:37 PM
Congrats, Sharla! I'm repped by Jessica too, and she's fantastic.

Yay! Erin, nice to meet you!! Gonna go check your site out now, so if your ears burn or fingers tingle or something, you know someone's in there... :))

raven1
02-19-2011, 07:10 PM
Congrats sharla! I just queried Jessica Faust today. Not sure if they accept fantasy. AAR says they do. Their website says NO SF, but nothing about fantasy. I took the chance, knowing the two are often connected.

They take urban fantasy, not epic or anything in between.

MysteryScribe
02-26-2011, 03:35 AM
Queried Jessica on 2/24 with my new YA project and received a partial request today! The ladies at BookEnds seem like they'd be awesome to work with, fingers are crossed :)